PDA

View Full Version : Change in Shoe Size with Hiking?

flyfisher
09-13-2004, 09:50
I had a discussion with a successful thru-hiker (Ed Speer) last winter about shoe size. He mentioned that his feet had increased by several shoe sizes during his thru hike. This had turned out to be a permanent change.

I started hiking with a size 10 1/2 shoe, and have just bought my first pair of size 12 shoes. None of my old shoes fit any more.

I am interested in finding out if this is a common finding. Attached is a poll asking how much your foot size has changed with hiking - assuming your foot had stopped growing before hiking began.

Youngblood
09-13-2004, 10:31
I don't think mine changed when I started hiking. But that is only because I started jogging a few years earlier and my feet expanded about a half size or so then. However, after going through the pains of improper sizing and jogging, I had become more opinionated about footwear and decided that I was more comfortable in footwear that was a little larger that what I measured (probably because feet usually expand on long jogs?). I then 'discovered' when hiking that I needed shoes that were even a little larger because of the 'bottoming out' effect on step downhills and resulting toenail loses. And when I switched to low cut trail runners that was even exaggerated some more... and this got me into the size range where half sizes where not offered. So, I guess that I now wear athletic shoes that are about 2 to 2.5 sizes larger than I did in my pre-jogging/hiking years. But I don't know if all of that is because of feet changing, I think a lot of it is because of the way I think footwear should fit. And to be honest, I have had problems with shoes being too small (in either width or length) and causing problems... so I may be a little 'sensitive' about shoes being too small.

Youngblood

Peaks
09-13-2004, 10:40
It's very common for feet to change sizes. If you are carrying a load every day, then your arches then to fall, and this in turn spreads your foot. And, for the same reason, a pregnant woman will usually go up a shoe size.

Footbeds like Superfeet that support your feet will minimize the spread.

For those that did not see an increase, how many miles did you hike? And id you use Superfeet?

SavageLlama
09-13-2004, 12:09
I met two SoBo girls at the end of their thru-hike last year and they said their feet had grown two sizes - from losing the arch and spreading out due to the weight of their packs (@ 30 lbs). Tends to happen to pregnant women, too.

They said their feet would never look good in high heels again.. :eek:

MOWGLI
09-13-2004, 12:17
It's very common for feet to change sizes. If you are carrying a load every day, then your arches then to fall, and this in turn spreads your foot. And, for the same reason, a pregnant woman will usually go up a shoe size.

Footbeds like Superfeet that support your feet will minimize the spread.

For those that did not see an increase, how many miles did you hike? And id you use Superfeet?

I experienced no change. I used Superfeet.

NotYet
09-13-2004, 12:30
My shoe size did not increase (they were already really wide!). I didn't buy replacement boots before the hike just in case my feet did expand. Fortunately, I was able to find good boots when my first pair wore out. I started wearing Superfeet about half-way through the hike, and they certainly improved how my feet, knees and shins felt!

SavageLlama
09-13-2004, 13:07
What is it about Superfeet that helps?? :confused:

rocket04
09-13-2004, 13:48
The length of my fee didn't change, but the width did. For the first week after I got back, none of my shoes fit comfortably. Now, some of the wider ones are comfortable, although I can clearly see that they were looser before. And some still don't fit comfortably and it's possible that they never will.

MOWGLI
09-13-2004, 13:50
What is it about Superfeet that helps?? :confused:

They support your arches.

NotYet
09-13-2004, 14:09
They also hold your heels in place.

Jersey Bob
09-13-2004, 15:31
at least 10 characters

SavageLlama
09-14-2004, 09:25
They also hold your heels in place.
Do you put them in boots or trail running sneakers? Or both?

NotYet
09-14-2004, 10:11
I put them in boots because that's what I like to wear. I've seen people who use trail runners also using them. I think they even have several different styles for different activities.

Texas Dreamer
09-14-2004, 13:31
I got fitted for superfeet last week--couldn't believe the difference. Like with Chacos--its all in the arch support.

About feet spreading in pregnacy--mine went up 2 full sizes, and never went back. I wonder if the extra hormones involved also contribute? Maybe by softening ligaments?

Jersey Bob
09-14-2004, 13:41
at least 10 characters

smokymtnsteve
09-14-2004, 13:43
it's a start... :D

HikeLite
09-26-2004, 06:59
I think the most common cause of foot size increase is simply adaptation of the soft tissue of the foot to the prolonged walking and carrying extra weight. Ian Adamson, the adventure racer, was saying this in a email from a adventure racing mailing list, IIRC. Fallen arches can have foot pain associated with it, but not necessarily. Changes in other parts of the foot can also be a factor in those susceptible.

smokymtnsteve
09-27-2004, 12:39
I voted 3 or more but only because I started hiking as a young kid...

hustler
09-27-2004, 12:53
My feet expanded on the trail, mostly got wider. They were swollen due to doing large mile days. I think the lighter you go, the less your feet will expand. After getting off the trail for awhile, I'm back to my normal shoe size. All my old shoes and ski boots fit just as well as they did before.