PDA

View Full Version : No-Stake Tarp Designs

EarlyStarter
01-12-2010, 20:53
I'm planning an ultra-light minimalist hike so I've been trolling the internet for an effective way to set up my tarp without the use of tent stakes, with no luck. Does anybody have any pictures or videos they could post? Much appreciated.

Hooch
01-12-2010, 20:55
Just out of curiousity, exactly how would the tarp stay attached to the ground, keep from blowing away, etc, without stakes unless you put BFR's on it?:confused:

JERMM
01-12-2010, 21:06
I'm planning an ultra-light minimalist hike so I've been trolling the internet for an effective way to set up my tarp without the use of tent stakes, with no luck. Does anybody have any pictures or videos they could post? Much appreciated.

if you don't want to carry stakes due to weight you can always cut sticks to use, or rocks, roots...

EarlyStarter
01-12-2010, 21:52
I'd carry a couple dozen feet of cord. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

srestrepo
01-12-2010, 22:24
... and you would tie it to yourself as you sleep?

just kidding. it'd have to be like two perfect trees to set it up as an aframe and then you'd had be lucky enough to find brush, rocks, or sticks and maybe even make deadman anchors with rocks and sticks every night to make this work.

it sounds like you could do it though.

Doctari
01-12-2010, 23:12
In addition to using sticks found on site, another hint: For us winter campers, we carry small stuff sacks, at camp fill with rocks & attach to the tarp tieouts. Easily adjusted, hold pretty well. I have added a log atop the filled stuff sack for extra weight/holding power. This will work all seasons, but cold weather & related HARD ground is when they shine.

Mine are made of sturdy netting, about 0.25 oz for two.

Tinker
01-12-2010, 23:21
How about 2 stakes?
http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=847&CFID=1540117&CFTOKEN=91545736
They'll keep it up and hold it down at the same time. You could tie off the ends to trees, too.
Like freestanding tents, a freestanding tarp would require more than one pole, making it necessarily heavier than a single pole, two stake design with the same sqare footage of material.

bullseye
01-12-2010, 23:26
You could do it, but why? Even if you carry 6 aluminum easton stakes (heavy I know at 10 grams each:rolleyes:), that's only about 2.3 ounces. Not carrying stakes means occasionally being limited in site selection, as well as the need to possibly improvise and rig your shelter in inclement conditions. Sucks to gather rocks or scrounge up sticks to make into stakes when your wet and it's pouring rain.

Now if your just looking for a way to test your skills, go for it. It can definitely be done and I'm all for saving weight. I'm just saying that if you're trying to get down to say, sub-5 base weight, it can be done without losing the stakes.

jesse
01-13-2010, 00:21
How much do 4-6 stakes weigh?

bigcranky
01-13-2010, 09:43
The nice thing about a flat tarp is the flexibility -- you get a lot of different pitching options depending on the site, weather, etc.

While it may be possible to pitch a tarp without stakes, I think you would lose all that flexibility. When I carry a tarp, I carry a couple of extra stakes and guy lines, rather than fewer, just so I can have the option of different tarp configurations.

If you really want to save the 2 ounces, spend the extra $$$$ on a spinnaker tarp.

gunner76
01-13-2010, 19:15
Coleman Aluminum tent stakes (red)

9 inches long
4 stakes weigh 3.1 oz

Vargo Titanium Nail Peg

6 inches long
6 stakes weigh 1.8 oz

I used a postage scaled to get the weights

Jim Adams
01-14-2010, 01:27
I have been tarping for 20 years and don't carry any stakes.
1. Stakes don't work very well with tarps because they are capable of collecting far more wind than a tent.
2. You can always quickly whittle stakes from downed branches if actually needed.
3. If you tie down to roots, rocks, trees and logs...you don't need stakes.
4. Tie off EVERY available grommet and make the tarp tight...otherwise at the least the flapping will keep you awake, at the most your tarp will shred in heavy wind.

geek

EarlyStarter
01-14-2010, 23:52
I have about 20 feet of rope. My tarp is 6x8' and I'm using a bivy sack. Is this enough? I'm afraid to do any cutting for fear that some cuts may be too short, making them useless. Input?

Compass
01-15-2010, 01:27
Tarps are normally staked low to the ground on two sides unless hammocking.
6x8 tarp probably has 8 tie outs.
20 feet of cord only leaves 2.5 feet each for each tie out.
Depending on the pitch the doorway side could go to a tree and need atleast 6 feet.

Saving weight on cord/line is like saving energy by not breathing. Put 6 feet on any tie out that is not going to be staked to the ground and carry atleast 4 real stakes for the main corners. IMHO