PDA

View Full Version : Clothes(March 20th NOBO)

Buckeye Hike
01-12-2010, 20:58
I want to stick with a three layer system. I have a light weight fleece, medium weight fleece, soft shell, raincoat, and down vest to choose from. I was thinking with a March 20th start date I could get away a dry fit t-shirt/light weight fleece/and raincoat. I also have a pair of North Face convertible pants...therefore could I get away without buying a base layer pant(Thermal underwear)? What does everyone think?

Hooch
01-12-2010, 21:00
I think you're gonna be cold. Weather fluctuates wildly from pretty and sunny and warm to cold, friding and snowing to cold and rainy. Be prepared for the weather and your hike will be a lot more comfortable.

Buckeye Hike
01-12-2010, 21:08
I have gloves and hat as well...but do you think adding my medium weight fleece and some long underwear would do it?

Hooch
01-12-2010, 21:11
I'd add a mid-weight base layer, a good hat and a down jacket. But that's just me.

Blissful
01-13-2010, 19:55
I'd add a mid-weight base layer, a good hat and a down jacket. But that's just me.

Yep. Agreed. Can get in the teens in April. Send down jacket home in May

AUhiker90
01-16-2010, 20:47
Long underwear is needed as well as a warm hat.

SawnieRobertson
01-17-2010, 20:15
I want to stick with a three layer system. I have a light weight fleece, medium weight fleece, soft shell, raincoat, and down vest to choose from. I was thinking with a March 20th start date I could get away a dry fit t-shirt/light weight fleece/and raincoat. I also have a pair of North Face convertible pants...therefore could I get away without buying a base layer pant(Thermal underwear)? What does everyone think?

I'm leaving that date too, and, believe me, a #1 concern is being able to keep warm. Overdo it on your layering for a while. I'm not talking about town clothes or changes of clothes for smelly reasons. I'm talking about warm layers for both day and night. We can lighten up significantly around May 15 or a little sooner.--Kinnickinic

garlic08
01-17-2010, 21:09
Yep. Agreed. Can get in the teens in April. Send down jacket home in May

Ditto this. April 15 2008 it was low teens and blowing snow in the Smokies, and again on Mt Rogers two weeks later.

bronco
01-19-2010, 18:33
My self and Skywatcher are also starting on that day to do a section to Fontana Dam.keep in touch and If you need any help or advise let me know BRONCO

Hatfield
01-19-2010, 23:51
Thermal top and bottom, down or synthetic jacket, lose some of the fleece.

ClassicMagger
01-20-2010, 00:28
Hey:

I'm leaving on the 30th of Jan. and don't plan on shifting my clothing gear out until at least May sometime. I'm going with a few sets of long-underwear like 1 full light, 1 full medium, and 1 extra medium top. A down jacket, patagonia guide pant for an outside pant layer, and my rain gear.

Hope that helps, we'll be in similar conditions for about a month.

-Kevin

piscatore
05-22-2018, 22:11
Question Bronco;

Might Skywatcher be the same person who spent the night with Gerry Largay (Inchworm), her hiking partner Jane, and Tenderfoot at Cogdon Camp early in June 2013?...Researching for a book on Gerry's ordeal. (Meant to be a homage to her.)

Thanks, Dee "Piscatore" [email protected]

Slo-go'en
05-23-2018, 09:00
Question Bronco;

Might Skywatcher be the same person who spent the night with Gerry Largay (Inchworm), her hiking partner Jane, and Tenderfoot at Cogdon Camp early in June 2013?...Researching for a book on Gerry's ordeal. (Meant to be a homage to her.)

Thanks, Dee "Piscatore" [email protected]
Since "Bronco" hasn't made a post in 3 years and probably hasn't visited this site since, you'd probably be better off asking him that question in a private message.