garlic08
01-12-2010, 21:55
This just in from the Denver Post:

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_14169778

Mags
01-12-2010, 23:01
Even worse..they mixed up avy beacons and PLBs. :eek:

If I was S&R, I'd be mighty PO'd.

Look for more of these type of incidents in the future.

SGT Rock
01-13-2010, 00:53
But I've hear how great these things are :eek:

Mags
01-13-2010, 12:52
Interesting thread from a local hiking BBS about how the SAR folks are actively working with the community to search for this problem user:
http://mountainproject.com/v/colorado__rocky_mountain_region/art_needs_your_help__plb_false_alerts_in_berthoud_ pass_area/106636952

But I've hear how great these things are :eek:

:) A good argument can be made for avy beacons in the appropriate terrain. Of course, I'd argue anyone who doesn't know what an avy beacon is and how to use and test it should NOT be skiing in the backcountry anyway. ;)

Two Speed
01-13-2010, 13:21
"There's controversy over these devices in the first place because it removes the self-sufficiency that's required in the backcountry," Scharper told The Associated Press last fall. "With the Yuppie 911, you send a message to a satellite and the government pulls your butt out of something you shouldn't have been in in the first place."

Yuppie 911? Me likey!

SGT Rock
01-13-2010, 15:44
Interesting thread from a local hiking BBS about how the SAR folks are actively working with the community to search for this problem user:
http://mountainproject.com/v/colorado__rocky_mountain_region/art_needs_your_help__plb_false_alerts_in_berthoud_ pass_area/106636952

:) A good argument can be made for avy beacons in the appropriate terrain. Of course, I'd argue anyone who doesn't know what an avy beacon is and how to use and test it should NOT be skiing in the backcountry anyway. ;)

How about on the AT? LOL. Is the PLB going to be the new symbol of "green horn"

"There's controversy over these devices in the first place because it removes the self-sufficiency that's required in the backcountry," Scharper told The Associated Press last fall. "With the Yuppie 911, you send a message to a satellite and the government pulls your butt out of something you shouldn't have been in in the first place."

Yuppie 911? Me likey!

It is catchy.

Mags
01-13-2010, 16:10
How about on the AT? LOL. Is the PLB going to be the new symbol of "green horn"

PLB and SPOT both. The AT ain't exactly wilderness..but people like their Dumbo Feathers. Or, rather, the families of hikers like their loved ones to have Dumbo Feathers.

re: Yuppie 911

Here's the AP-based article that was circulating around that time.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33470581/

Too salty water! :D

SGT Rock
01-13-2010, 16:14
PLB and SPOT both. The AT ain't exactly wilderness..but people like their Dumbo Feathers. Or, rather, the families of hikers like their loved ones to have Dumbo Feathers.

I remember that explanation of Dumbo Feather. Right on target.

Dances with Mice
01-13-2010, 16:21
From the article...

If anyone has recently started to use - or knows someone who has - a ACR PLB-300 Microfix (RescueFix) http://www.acrelectronics.com/product2.aspx?sku=2898 (http://www.acrelectronics.com/product2.aspx?sku=2898) and visits the Berthoud Pass area, please contact the Alpine Rescue Team.
I have that radio and it's a piece of crap. Can't get AM, can't get FM or the weather channels, can't even plug in my IPOD. I pushed every button on it and nothing works.

Mags
03-08-2010, 17:19
A followup to this article posted a few months back by Garlic.

They FINALLY found the guy this past week:
http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-county-news/ci_14506820?source=rss#axzz0hCwBMCQH

In the tech field, we call this an RTFM issue...

SGT Rock
03-08-2010, 17:22
Hmmmmmmm.....

Mags
03-08-2010, 17:34
Expect more of this type of crap as more electronic gizmos are bought by people who shouldn't be in the backcountry. :)

(I'm sorry..but not only is the guy skiing with a mistaken avalanche beacon a dip****, but his buddies WHO DIDN'T EVEN TEST THE "BEACON" are equally clueless.)

SGT Rock
03-08-2010, 17:43
So he turned it on when going to his doctors. Even if he thought it was an avalanche beacon, that doesn't even seem right.

Roland
03-08-2010, 17:45
Common sense is becoming an endangered species.

Mags
03-08-2010, 17:48
So he turned it on when going to his doctors. Even if he thought it was an avalanche beacon, that doesn't even seem right.

I suspect their is more to this story. Gotta ping my buddies in the RMR to find out. :)

medicjimr
03-08-2010, 18:31
Well I do want to own a SPOT II once i see it works just for peace of mind for wife I can hit the OK button. In my neck of the woods cell phones don't work all that well even Text Messages don't go through so If the un foreseeable would happen it's there .

leaftye
03-08-2010, 19:12
How is that dumbass still alive?

partinj
03-08-2010, 19:58
That why you should always have a map and compass AND KNOW HOW TO USE THEM.Of course you do have to know how to read.
:eek::eek::eek:

brooklynkayak
03-09-2010, 10:14
The PLB is probably owned by an outfitter. They never sold it, so never registered it, but are instead renting it out. The people that work at the outfitter are probably giving bad instructions to the newby cross country skiers that are renting the gear.

I would think they would want to check in with all the local outfitters?

Rain Man
03-09-2010, 11:49
If this numbskull thought he had an avalanche beacon, that still doesn't explain why he repeatedly sent out a signal, unless he thought he was caught in an avalanche, correct?

It all seems totally stupid to me and all from not bothering to read the instructions on the box. He should be glad that in this case "ignorance was a defense" to legal consequences. Usually, such a defense falls on deaf ears in court.

Rain:sunMan

Mags
03-09-2010, 11:55
I would think they would want to check in with all the local outfitters?

If you read the followup, they found the PLB. (http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-county-news/ci_14506820?source=rss#axzz0hCwBMCQH) The anon user was given the PLB as a gift. Except, he was told it was an avalanche beacon. He did not RTFM. Nor did his friends perform backcountry skiing 101 and do a beacon test before heading out otherwise they would have known it was a PLB!

NorthCountryWoods
03-09-2010, 15:32
If this numbskull thought he had an avalanche beacon, that still doesn't explain why he repeatedly sent out a signal, unless he thought he was caught in an avalanche, correct?

No. Everybody turns the avalanche beacon to transmit when entering an avalanche zone and if anybody is swept away those not involved can locate by turning to receive. When I worked in AK, we tested everyones transmitter EVERY TIME we entered a danger area.

It all seems totally stupid to me and all from not bothering to read the instructions on the box. He should be glad that in this case "ignorance was a defense" to legal consequences. Usually, such a defense falls on deaf ears in court.

Now this is absolutely correct. No excuse for stupidity.

JustaTouron
03-09-2010, 16:02

Absolutely not true.

Ignorance of the law is never a defense. Nor is it for crimes that require no intent also called strict liability crimes. Speeding is an example of this.

And mistake for general intent crimes are a bit difficult.

But in a specific intent crime a mistake that negates intent is a defense.

His defense wasn't, "I didn't know it is a crime to file a false alarm." His defense was "he didn't know he was filing a false alarm." Huge difference.

For example if the law is written....

"Anyone who knowingly files a false alarm"...not knowing you filed a false alarm is defense.

if the law was written.....

"anyone who negligently files a false alarm" (which I doubt any community would ever enact)....than his defense would not work.

Rockhound
03-09-2010, 16:18
When I heard about all these people hiking with SPOT on the A.T. thought they were all just unimaginative dog owners. Found out what they were later and thought it was a terrific idea. They look the same so it's lots of fun to play switch em up change em up at the shelters.

Rockhound
03-09-2010, 16:34
Absolutely not true.

Ignorance of the law is never a defense. Nor is it for crimes that require no intent also called strict liability crimes. Speeding is an example of this.

And mistake for general intent crimes are a bit difficult.

But in a specific intent crime a mistake that negates intent is a defense.

His defense wasn't, "I didn't know it is a crime to file a false alarm." His defense was "he didn't know he was filing a false alarm." Huge difference.

For example if the law is written....

"Anyone who knowingly files a false alarm"...not knowing you filed a false alarm is defense.

if the law was written.....

"anyone who negligently files a false alarm" (which I doubt any community would ever enact)....than his defense would not work. And he spent 6 months interning in the D.A.s office. So there! JT I'll take a coffee. cream and sugar.

Rain Man
03-09-2010, 18:48
No. Everybody turns the avalanche beacon to transmit when entering an avalanche zone and if anybody is swept away those not involved can locate by turning to receive. ...

Ahhhhhhh. That makes sense. Thanks for 'splainin'. :)

kanga
03-09-2010, 18:59
And he spent 6 months interning in the D.A.s office. So there! JT I'll take a coffee. cream and sugar.
Kind of makes me feel like Riverdancing.

tuswm
03-11-2010, 16:17
If you call 911 for the fire department and all the fire trucks come running they charge you for the false call.

Why don't they charge this guy?

How much do you think it cost the SR to try and find this guy almost a dozen times.