PDA

View Full Version : dogs in the 100-mile wilderness

linn
01-12-2010, 22:26
Hi! I just finished my first section hike of the AT (Springer to Unicoi Gap over the new years holiday) and I am completely hooked on hiking! I am now planning to hike the 100-mile wilderness in Maine this July, and I am curious about the logistics of traveling with dogs on this particular section.

I have 2 goldendoodles, both great swimmers and avid trail dogs. One of my boys hiked with me very successfully on this past trip, and the other is currently enrolled in doggie boot camp (after a rough start on the trail!) so he'll be ready to come along next time. Assuming the training goes as well as I hope, I'd love to bring both dogs to Maine. However, I know that Maine in summertime is a much different trail than Georgia in the dead of winter, so I want to make sure it's practical to bring along the pups.

Have any of you hiked the 100-mile wilderness with your dogs? What do I need to know / consider about this particular section before deciding if Davy and Chance are up for it?

Chomp09
01-12-2010, 22:55
My two cents, having been through the wilderness a few times is that water levels could play a major factor in hiking this section with your dogs.

Usually water levels are lower as the summer progresses. Hiking through there late this July, however, there were crossings that we barely made it across, even without our dogs. Water up to my chest (I'm 5' 11'') and rolling white caps on long pond stream and big & little wilson. We never would have been able to do the crossings with them.

That said, it can definitely be done, and it is a b-e-a-utiful section. Just keep an eye on the water levels and how wet a season it is, and be willing to adjust your plans if the need arises.

Enjoy!

Tinker
01-12-2010, 23:16
If you possibly can, wait until early September when the leaves begin to change but it's still warm enough to swim.
In 2008, when I did the "Hundred Mile", water crossings were no problem. Up to the knees at the highest.
There are, however, no guarantees on water levels. You'll have to keep informed on rainfall.
If you are bringing two dogs, please plan on having them sleep under a tarp or in your tent with you. Some folks aren't too understanding of dog behavior.

Wrangler88
01-12-2010, 23:17
When I did the 100 miles this summer I met two different people hiking with dogs. One guy said as far as the water levels, you have to be very flexible. If the levels are high, be prepared to wait it out for a while. I don't know how big your dogs are but he said he had to help his dog (about a medium sized mut dog) across and over rocks and what not. Anyway, I don't know any particulars. I just know it can be done and people have a great time with it.

kanga
01-13-2010, 00:07
having just gone through part of there this july, i would say no way in hades. i would never in my wildest nightmare subject my dogs to that. some of the stuff i went across was just plain stupid for me to attempt, let alone worry about a dog, not to mention two. bad time of year for it. streams that were normally knee high were over 16 ft and whitewater at that time. leave the dogs or pick another time. you could get lucky and get rare weather but in my opinion the risk is irresponsible.

Nean
01-13-2010, 02:04
Last year was a rare year.:) Most years you are fine in July.:sun
My dog and I went thru in August and it was wonderful.;) (I've been thru a couple of times in July as well.)

Check before you go and don't if it has been raining for 2 months.:cool:

kanga
01-13-2010, 11:10
Last year was a rare year.:) Most years you are fine in July.:sun
My dog and I went thru in August and it was wonderful.;) (I've been thru a couple of times in July as well.)

Check before you go and don't if it has been raining for 2 months.:cool:
good to hear. i have never seen so much mud in my life! actually, the mud was all under water, but i know it was there cause it really wanted my shoes to stay.:eek:

The Flatulator
01-13-2010, 12:16
I live in Maine and have hiked the Trail in our state dozens of times. If we get a lot of rain, the streams and rivers can and will be impassable. I also have dogs (Austrailian Shepards) and they have no problems with any parts of the Trail (exception being Mahoosuc Notch (near New Hampshire). Any place you can go, the dogs will follow or will find a way around. If the water crossings are too dangerous for you to navigate, then the same will be said for your dogs. So long as they are water friendly and have no aversions to getting in and swimming across, you should be good to go. They'll have a great time and you'll enjoy the company. Just keep an eye out for the weather before you leave and watch for heavy rains (which are usually in the form of leftover hurricane weather in the late summer months). Typically the high waters will recede after 2-3 days and there are plenty of logging roads you can utilize to find your way out if need be.....

peakbagger
01-13-2010, 15:04
As long as you have complete control of them and they never run off, if you can make, it the dogs can make it. If they do run off, there is a distinct chance they are going to be lost for quite awhile as the area is quite remote. Alternatively some log truck driver will inherit a couple of dogs . If they run after deer, be aware that they may get shot. There is plenty of water along the way except for the Barren Chairback section and White Cap. I seem to remember a set of waterfalls (little wilson?) that the trail walks by, that could be dangerous if the dogs decide to go swimming, but its obvious.

white_russian
01-13-2010, 15:17
If it is a normal year, July should be fine. That part is fun enough for a human, but with all the ponds and streams it should be a blast for water loving dogs.

linn
01-13-2010, 22:01
Thank you all, this is really helpful!

Do you have any good resources for checking water levels, a website maybe?

My dogs are both large and they have experience swimming in rivers with a moderate current, so I think they'll be okay as long as we don't have the rapid conditions it sounds like existed last July. (Although if that's the case, I'm not so sure I need to be out there myself!)

My other specific wondering is related to wildlife. Are there many snakes / critters that could be dangerous for dogs? Also, how often will we likely be running into deer, etc? My guys are good listeners and I can stop them from chasing if I am paying attention, but if we're going to be constantly seeing chase-worthy wildlife I imagine I'll get tired of saying "here, here, here" over and over again. And the hunters thing is something I hadn't considered. Are there many hunters out that time of year? Generally, when my dogs are wearing their packs they stick to the main trail, but I definitely don't want to put them in any dangerous situations.

Thanks again for all the wisdom. Keep it coming! :)

SMOOTHGINGER
01-20-2010, 14:39
I have a lab that I hiked the AT with and it she cant swim it I am not going in.

Just a Hiker
01-20-2010, 14:55
I assume that you are going to hike northbound, if so, you'll get the hardest fords over with in the first two days (Big & Little Wilson and Long Pond).....after that, the fords aren't that bad. As far as wildlife.....you're apt to see an occasional moose, deer and garter snake, and on a rare occasion....a black bear. As far as hunters go, you shouldn't run into any; however, you might run into someone setting bear bait for the up coming season, but's that doubtful! Enjoy your hike!

Just Jim

weary
01-20-2010, 15:04
If you want to climax your 100 miles with a trek up Katahdin, keep in mind that dogs are absolutely forbidden in Baxter State Park. You would have to get them 25 miles east to Millinocket when you reach Abol Bridge, find a boarding place and then return to the park. Not an easy thing in an area of no public roads, no houses, just a lot of logging trucks, and a lone store with a lone employee.

Weary

Just a Hiker
01-20-2010, 15:19
If you want to climax your 100 miles with a trek up Katahdin, keep in mind that dogs are absolutely forbidden in Baxter State Park. You would have to get them 25 miles east to Millinocket when you reach Abol Bridge, find a boarding place and then return to the park. Not an easy thing in an area of no public roads, no houses, just a lot of logging trucks, and a lone store with a lone employee.

Weary

Good point, and to just amplify what Weary said....Baxter State Park takes their regulations regarding "Domestic Animals" VERY seriously. BSP isn't like other State Parks where you might get a friendly warning....they'll toss you out of the Park and probably ban you from the Park for the rest of the year; however, once you spend some time in Baxter State Park and enjoy what it has to offer....you'll understand why...:)

Just Jim

weary
01-20-2010, 23:37
If it is a normal year, July should be fine. That part is fun enough for a human, but with all the ponds and streams it should be a blast for water loving dogs.
Just remember, there may no longer be "normal" years. Rainfall has exceeded historical levels in the area for several years. I'm beginning to think that that banned discussion topic, climate change, may be responsible. But realistically, no one can truly know.

I do observe that until recent years we could usually expect the weather my wife's brother experienced in Wisconsin would show up a few days later in Maine. Lately Canadian weather patterns seem to be bypassing parts of Wisconsin, looping south and then northerly -- leaving Wisconsin in a drought; Maine in a flood.

Weary