PDA

View Full Version : Fuel bottles, camp stoves and airplanes

smokymtnsteve
09-13-2004, 10:27
on my recent flight from GA-AK here is how I handled the flying with fuel bottle issue,

I pulled the fuel bottle label off, wrapped the bottle with duct tape, emptied the bottle out let the fuel evaporate and then washed the bottle out real well...then after writing WATER BOTTLE - H2o on the duct tape,filling the bottle with H20 and capping the bottle I put it in my carry-on luggage, which was a kelty red-wing backpack, went right thru TSA security at the ATLANTA airport an onto a DELTA 767,no questions asked! I had planned to take a big drink of water out of my fuel bottle if any questions had been asked, after arriving I dumped the water out , let the bottle completey dry and then filled with coleman..no problems at all.

Peaks
09-13-2004, 10:43
Sometimes, you can create ways to get a fuel bottle on a plane. However, if the baggage screeners wise up, you will be in deep do-do. I'd still recommend shipping fuel bottles and stoves UPS Ground. For me, it's not worth the risk to try to fly with them.

smokymtnsteve
09-13-2004, 10:48
Sometimes, you can create ways to get a fuel bottle on a plane. However, if the baggage screeners wise up, you will be in deep do-do. I'd still recommend shipping fuel bottles and stoves UPS Ground. For me, it's not worth the risk to try to fly with them.

It is still not against the law to fly with a water bottle, and as to airline security what a joke,,,there were no questions asked at all...how would one get into "deep do-do" for having a water bottle? stoves and pump assemblies are legally allowed inside of checked baggage, no need to send UPS, just an extra unnesscessary expense.

sticks
09-15-2004, 21:33
I agree with you Steve. I have flown for years with an air dried fuel bottle in my checked pack and never had one problem. I put it in a ditty with the cap off so when they see it in the x-ray they just see...well a container without a cap and said cap next to it. I never offer the info that I have a fuel bottle or stove in the pack because IMHO it is none of their business as long as it does not have any fuel in it. Been doing this since 1991 and I am going to do it again when I fly out to NM next week. Just had a friend do Mt. Raineer the end of July...guess what? He and the group all packed the fuel bottles, sans fuel, and not a question was asked.:cool:

Frosty
09-15-2004, 22:57
I never offer the info that I have a fuel bottle or stove in the pack because IMHO it is none of their business as long as it does not have any fuel in it. Not exactly true. Most airlines forbid the transport of gas stoves, even if the stove has no gas in it.

It isn't fair, it is overkill, but because they specifically forbid it, it is their business if you violate the rules.

I bought a ZZip Stove (wood burning) in the early 90's when I was combining hiking with business trips to the west coast. Northwest's fine for checking a stove in baggage at the time was $25,000.

Pre 9/11 it might have been worth the risk to try to get one through and hope they wouldn't follow through with the fine, but these days if you catch an airline official with a hair across his butt, you could be charged with a terrorist violation and find yourself in jail without recourse for a long time.

Why risk it?

Frosty
09-15-2004, 22:58
stoves and pump assemblies are legally allowed inside of checked baggageActually, they aren't.

sticks
09-16-2004, 04:56
Not exactly true. Most airlines forbid the transport of gas stoves, even if the stove has no gas in it.
I made a statement pertaining to what my feelings are, not what their rules are. The rules have been the same ever since my first trip via airline and I say again...as long as I am not transporting fuel it is none of their business. If they are going to ban something like this then why not ban all aerasol products? There has been know instances where they have ruptured while in flight so no more deodorant, shaving cream, etc.

I know numerous people that travel to bpacking trips via airline and they all do what I do or use canister stoves. Since I have the Primus MFS that is capable of using canisters technically I have a canister stove, which they allow.:cool:

Uncle Wayne
09-16-2004, 07:24
I belong to a Boy Scout email group and some leader shared their troop's experience trying to fly to Philmont with stoves. They were carrying 4 white gas stoves (used but empty of fuel) and 4 brand new empty fuel bottles. All of them, stoves and bottles, were confiscated at the airport. I'm not sure how they were packed but I do know they were not all packed together. Someone had told them this would work and they tried it without checking with the airline. :o
After some serious discussions, explanations and begging, security allowed them to board but without their stoves and bottles.
They bought new stoves and bottles at Philmont and shipped them via UPS back home after their trek.

smokymtnsteve
09-16-2004, 09:36
Actually, they aren't.

actually they are...I even took my stove and pump out of my baggage at check in and asked the agent ...he called over a supervisor and they said that it was no problem. the airline, DELTA, was aware of the pump and stove that was in my checked baggage

smokymtnsteve
09-16-2004, 09:41
I belong to a Boy Scout email group and some leader shared their troop's experience trying to fly to Philmont with stoves. They were carrying 4 white gas stoves (used but empty of fuel) and 4 brand new empty fuel bottles. All of them, stoves and bottles, were confiscated at the airport. I'm not sure how they were packed but I do know they were not all packed together. Someone had told them this would work and they tried it without checking with the airline. :o
After some serious discussions, explanations and begging, security allowed them to board but without their stoves and bottles.
They bought new stoves and bottles at Philmont and shipped them via UPS back home after their trek.

wow..don't you feel a lot safer from terror in skys now that boy scouts can't carry camping equipment...I know I do. this has nothing to do with making flying safer.

Frosty
09-16-2004, 11:25
actually they are...I even took my stove and pump out of my baggage at check in and asked the agent ...he called over a supervisor and they said that it was no problem. the airline, DELTA, was aware of the pump and stove that was in my checked baggageDelta was not one of the airlines I flew, so I don't know. Northwest, United, US Air, all have a rule with a big fine against it. This doesn't mean that the rule is enforced, or that all airport check-in supervisors don't use common sense. The chances are great that it won't be an issue. But one has no recourse if some official decides to make it an issue.

I'm not defending the rule, or saying it is a good rule, only that it exists, and the penalty for getting caught by some Rules Nazi official is so severe (especially in today's security climate), that one ought to think twice before carrying a stove in checked baggage. As a minimum, absolutely ensure there is no gas smell at all.

Someone else mentioned a Boy SCout trip where they were allowed to board but without stoves. You can bet that if they weren't a Boy Scout group, they would NOT have flown that day.

Carrying a stove on a plane is a personal decison, similar to treating water or not treating water. There only thing one "should" do is be aware of the rules, the benefits of breaking the rules, the likely consequences of breaking the rules, and the worst case scenario of gettng caught.

Sure, the rule is stupid, and does nothing as far as I can see, but I have as much control over that as I do weather. Since I was flying for business, I could not afford to get yanked from my flight, and I bought a ZZip stove. Today, I would be even more concerned with an over-reactive official following the letter of the law.

But then, I carry an MSR Mini-Water Works filter also. So that's just me.

The Will
09-16-2004, 12:13
I haven't flown with a stove post 9/11, but all of my flights with a stove previous to that event came off without a hitch. I wash out my fuel bottles thoroughly to remove all scent of a combustible fuel. Then roll up newspaper and insert it into the fuel bottles and leave the bottles uncapped, just as an indication that they contain no liquid of any variety. I'm very up front with the fact that my checked in luggage contains these items and I pack them near the top so that they can be readily inspected--and the people at the ticket counter thus far have requested to inspect them each time.

It seems that by reporting the possession of stoves and accessories at the time of check in, you would avoid any possible fines and if they refused to allow you to pack these items in your stowed luggage, you would still have the opportunity to mail them home instead of getting them confiscated.

<O:p</O:p
I don't know the best solution or the final answer to this problem. I've certainly heard plenty of both bad and good experiences. I'm sure, that just as with any immigration officer at a border crossing, much depends on who you are working with, their experience and even whimsy.<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p

Pencil Pusher
09-22-2004, 06:30
I flew with a stove and bottle post 911 and it was no big deal. I just made sure to try and minimize any lingering fuel odors.

MedicineMan
09-23-2004, 04:38
We flew back yesterday (Delta from Las Vegas) post 3 weeks hiking in Utah,Nevada and a bit in in Arizona....we flew a cooler out and back, in the cooler was a stuff sack with several titanium pots and 2 Brasslite stoves...on the way out not a question asked, on the way back the TSA officer asked if we were carrying camping fuel bottles....we told them no (we had stopped at Walmart in Cedar City for Heet.

Is it illegal to carry an alcohol stove in checked baggage?
If so we broke the law (uknowingly), and if so I will order a brasslite shipped to our next destination when that time comes.

Thanks

Pencil Pusher
09-23-2004, 05:18
I think the laws are there to prevent both fuel and it's odors from being possible flame/explosion sources.

smokymtnsteve
09-23-2004, 11:38
I think the laws are there to prevent both fuel and it's odors from being possible flame/explosion sources.

then how about the 16 oz of perfumes that are allowed in checked baggage...this is certainly a greater risk of possible flame/explosion source than and EMPTY CLEANED camp stove fuel bottle.

Chappy
09-23-2004, 12:50
actually they are...I even took my stove and pump out of my baggage at check in and asked the agent ...he called over a supervisor and they said that it was no problem. the airline, DELTA, was aware of the pump and stove that was in my checked baggage

Smoky, Was the stove and pump in your carry-on or checked baggage?

smokymtnsteve
09-23-2004, 12:57
Smoky, Was the stove and pump in your carry-on or checked baggage?

yes the stove and pump were in my checked baggage, the pump was stored inside one of my shoes... at check in I opened my bags, showed the stove and pump to the agent, who called over a supervisor, who inspected my baggage saw the stove and pump and said no problem.

the fuel bottle I carried in my carry-on baggage. it was wrapped in duct tape and marked H2o...and it was full of water and capped...this I also showed to the agent and supervisor....and I took a big drink of water right in front of them..they said no problem...

going thru the TSA check point i put my carry-one luggage (kelty backpack)thru the screening device with the water bottle in it, no questions were raised.

food
09-23-2004, 13:00
It might be helpful to print these pages:

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1187.xml

Each airline can have more conservative rules, but almost all the security people are federal employees. It is still scary when you have to rely on them being properly trained.

Pencil Pusher
09-23-2004, 17:53
then how about the 16 oz of perfumes that are allowed in checked baggage...this is certainly a greater risk of possible flame/explosion source than and EMPTY CLEANED camp stove fuel bottle.
Why do you bring that much perfume with you? Christ on high, dude, take a shower!

sticks
10-08-2004, 18:22
Just flew out and back from NM for a trip to the Pecos Wilderness last week. Fuel bottles were air dried and stored in a stuff sack in my toplid without tops along with my stove. Flew out on Delta, back on Continental and had no questions asked. Even watched them look at my pack in the x-ray and discuss the bottles, with one inspector pointing out the tops not being on the bottles.

As I said before, an empty container without the top on it is going to go through. Will it every time? I don't know, but it has for over 10 years now...and counting.