PDA

View Full Version : Down Booties

ShelterLeopard
01-13-2010, 13:12
So, I need some in camp shoes for February. (Do not tell me that I don't need to carry in camp shoes- I always do, love having my feet out of my boots.) Does anyone have any suggestions on some good down booties?

Right now I'm looking at Feathered Friends and REI

http://www.rei.com/product/772047#prodSpecs

http://www.featheredfriends.com/Picasso/Bed.Acc/Down%20Booties.html

REI is $20, Feathered Friends is $85 (whooo boy...)

But the feathered friends booties look warmer and lighter than the REI ones, and are more water proof, and you can take the inside layer out to wear in your sleeping bag. Which sounds really nice...

Has anyone had any experience with either pair? Any others?

(I'd really like not to spend a huge amount of money on the booties, but if they're really worth it, I might spring for 'em)

leaftye
01-13-2010, 13:18
If you can wait, there's a guy on backpackinglight that's talking about making his own down booties. The inner weighs 3 oz. There was talk about making waterproof outers that'd make it useful as a walk-around camp shoe. I believe they're saying the price should be $50.

ShelterLeopard
01-13-2010, 13:20
I'd like 'em for next weekend, then for my thru. So, not really. And I have been finding some cheaper ones. But, an ominous sign is that none of them list the weight... Only feathered friends does (at 9 oz)

kayak karl
01-13-2010, 13:23
i wear these. http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/item/216509/N/0/cmpn/70125?sendroicid=974765b9-e467-4c45-b359-d40d89ae9717&sendroikwd=NSE+Tent+Bootie+III-Men%27s but only paid $20 here http://www.themountainhideaway.com/store/ they work great even in snow and ice.

Old Grouse
01-13-2010, 13:23
I don't have experience with these or any other down booties, but reading the specs convinces me that the Feathered Friends are worth the extra money if you can swing it. I don't think they'll do that well as camp shoes - no traipsing around in the dark for firewood, etc. But for warm lounging and sleeping I bet they'd be great.

Just a Hiker
01-13-2010, 13:24
I have LL Bean down booties.....and I wouldn't take anything for them! I just finished a long stretch of the AT and I am really glad I decided to buy a pair! They really made a difference as far as comfort and warmth while in camp. I believe I paid around $45.00 for them. A great investment if you're going to do any cold weather long distance hiking.

scope
01-13-2010, 13:30
I have the Sierra Designs ones with a closed cell foam sole covered with a canvas material. Its really very marginal for walking around outside, the canvas material tears easily from rocks, etc. Keeps my feet toasty, though. Also, anything with any sole, no matter how flimsy, is sort of annoying while wearing inside a sleeping bag. The FF ones look sweet and I love the idea of a separate outsole for walking around. Probably worth spending the extra dough.

slugger
01-13-2010, 13:35
I'd like 'em for next weekend, then for my thru. So, not really. And I have been finding some cheaper ones. But, an ominous sign is that none of them list the weight... Only feathered friends does (at 9 oz)

One of the reviews for the REI Men's down booties has a weight....

Weight for the pair is 12oz, kind of heavy compared to other down booties. It's inexcusable that REI omits the weight in the product specifications. Soles are thin and will be a cold spot. Overall not recommended.

Lyle
01-13-2010, 13:51
No experience with either of these particular booties. I have looked at the REI booties, and think they are heavy and not very compressible. Good price though.

I've used Sierra Design in the past, but no longer have them. If I were doing an extended winter hike I would definitely get some. I would probably go with the Feathered Friends.

Booties can be worn in snow and ice for brief trips out, but not mud and wet. They are not really a replacement for crocks or similar. My opinion. GREAT for keeping your feet warm around camp and in your bag. Careful around a fire.

ChinMusic
01-13-2010, 13:57
I have the Nunatak Teanaways. I love em. Gotta be below freezing for me to take em with me. They also can take up to 8 weeks after ordering to get them.

You don't need something like that on a thru unless your feet routinely get cold. IMO, you can get by with the cheap ones. If you are looking for something to last longer, go with the FF or Nunutak versions, and order the Epic material. The Teanaways are like 3.5 oz.

http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/booties/teanaway.htm

http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/images/booties/teana.jpg

Raul Perez
01-13-2010, 14:05
I also have the teanaways.... took almost 2.5 months to get them. I had them modify them to remove the soles as I just wanted a down bootie to be warn in my hammock in 32* or below winter camping. Going to test them out in 2 weeks when I hit the AT for a quick overnight hike.

Jester2000
01-13-2010, 14:06
What size shoe do you wear?

ShelterLeopard
01-13-2010, 14:16
Size 8-8.5 women's.

And it might be worth it to splurge, because I'm sure I'll use them for other trips as well.

Secret Squirrel
01-13-2010, 14:19
I've had a pair of The North Face NSE Tent Mule II for about a year. They are warm, light and sturdy. Mine fit in a gallon ziplock bag. They come in women's sizes too.

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/mens-footwear/mens-nse-tent-mule-ii.html

ChinMusic
01-13-2010, 14:20
I also have the teanaways.... took almost 2.5 months to get them. I had them modify them to remove the soles as I just wanted a down bootie to be warn in my hammock in 32* or below winter camping. Going to test them out in 2 weeks when I hit the AT for a quick overnight hike.
Wow, that seems like such a waste, as that takes away wearing them around camp. My feet never get cold in my bag, just slept out at -9°F with no issues. Without the insoles I would imagine that they would pack down to something smaller than your fist.

I like the booties for hanging around camp. They are strong enough to gently move around camp, set up your tent, etc., but not much more than that. Once I get in my tent they come off.

Raul Perez
01-13-2010, 14:25
waste for you but my feet tend to get cold for some reason when I'm sleeping. This may be the answer to my prayers. I'll find out soon.

Once I'm camped and settled in I dont do much walking around as it is I tend to just hang in my hammock and relax.

ShelterLeopard
01-13-2010, 14:28
What I really want is something warm and soft for around camp, that I can actually walk around in, ithout being afraid of ripping it. Maybe moccasins are a better way to go? Heavier though, and bulkier.

white_russian
01-13-2010, 14:40
I own the Feathered Friends booties and they are great. The two part system is great because you can wear them all around camp and muddy up the outer shell and then take it off and wear the liner in your sleeping bag. Then when you want to clean the mud off all you have to do is wash the shells and don't have to worry about babying he down. It does weigh a couple of ounces more than the Nunatak botties, but you have to give up that flexability for them as well.

There is one problem with the Feathered Friends that is easily fixable. The sidewalls are not stiff and your feet can slide all over the place and occasionally off the sole. The fix is just cutting a piece of old blue sleeping pad to about 1.5" wide and putting it inside the outer shell. After that, I have had no issues. I have never actually tried any other bootie before I got these since the two part system just makes perfect sense in my mind, but I would imagine that other brands probably have the weak side wall issue to some degree as well.

ShelterLeopard
01-13-2010, 14:42
How do the Feathered Friends booties hold up walking around camp? Do they get torn at all?

Dogwood
01-13-2010, 14:47
I'm getting the Tenaways in size 13 for wearing while sleeping and answering the midnight call. Not really using them for too much walking around camp or any walking around town. 4 oz. total wt! 3 oz of high quality down in size 12-13. I'm mortgaging the house to buy them though!

I looked at the SD, REI, and TNF down shoes/booties. They all seemed heavy to me and getting a straight answer to how much my XL size weighed or how much down exactly was in those XL size was sometimes frustrating to impossible to find out!

Jester2000
01-13-2010, 14:52
What I really want is something warm and soft for around camp, that I can actually walk around in, ithout being afraid of ripping it. Maybe moccasins are a better way to go? Heavier though, and bulkier.

That's why I was thinking that the Big Agnes Mountain Booties might be better, because they have a fabric bottom and toe area that, although it's still fabric, is a little more durable than the rest of the bootie.

It's made with PrimaLoft, though, not down.

white_russian
01-13-2010, 14:56
How do the Feathered Friends booties hold up walking around camp? Do they get torn at all?
Nope, no tears. On the picture on FF website you can see the black ring around the bottom and it is a lot sturdier material than the upper part. The bottom is rubberized so it is good to go as well. The only part of the shell I would ever have any concern with is the upper part, but it is not near the ground and doesn't seem fragile either.

Dogwood
01-13-2010, 14:57
The only booties I've seen are made from some type of outer fabric, so no matter what you choose you are going to have to deal with possibly ripping them. Just be aware that any bootie is not going to be as durable or protective as your hiking shoe. Probably not a big deal w/ any of the booties mentioned if you always are aware of this and use them for what they were designed for. Since you want to wear them around camp alot the Nunataks may not be your best choice especially if you are concerned about ripping them.

Jester2000
01-13-2010, 15:00
And you could just throw a layer of duct tape over the bottom of whatever booties you do buy.

ShelterLeopard
01-13-2010, 15:01
That's why I was thinking that the Big Agnes Mountain Booties might be better, because they have a fabric bottom and toe area that, although it's still fabric, is a little more durable than the rest of the bootie.

It's made with PrimaLoft, though, not down.

As long as it's soft and warm- I forgot about the booties you mentioned a while ago Jester, thanks for reminding me!

Nope, no tears. On the picture on FF website you can see the black ring around the bottom and it is a lot sturdier material than the upper part. The bottom is rubberized so it is good to go as well. The only part of the shell I would ever have any concern with is the upper part, but it is not near the ground and doesn't seem fragile either.

Man I'd like these booties. I'll tally up my money and see if I can swing 'em. Maybe I'll do the Big A booties.....

ChinMusic
01-13-2010, 15:17
The Nunataks are def strong enough to wear around camp. There is no issue there. You just have to realize that you can't horse around in them.

On a thru my plan would be to have them with me til I swapped out to a summer sleeping bag. I might send them home a bit sooner.

ShelterLeopard
01-13-2010, 16:40
Jester- the big agnes ones don't have a removable layer inside like the feathered friends shoes, do they?

ShelterLeopard
01-13-2010, 17:02
I just cracked open the safe and placed an order for the Feathered Friends Down Booties. (The removable inner lining really sold me). Thanks all for your help! This thread can now be closed.

Jester2000
01-13-2010, 17:04
Jester- the big agnes ones don't have a removable layer inside like the feathered friends shoes, do they?

They don't! They are machine washable, though, and I think it's funny that in describing the ankle drawstring on them the company notes that it "keeps Booties on your feet during trips to the outhouse."

Um, no thanks. I'll put on my shoes.

Jester2000
01-13-2010, 17:05
I just cracked open the safe and placed an order for the Feathered Friends Down Booties. (The removable inner lining really sold me). Thanks all for your help! This thread can now be closed.

. . . or we could keep it going by making jokes about the word "booty."

ShelterLeopard
01-13-2010, 17:10
http://www.featheredfriends.com/Picasso/Images/acc/booties.jpg

OR?

http://www.piratemerch.com/images/pirates_booty_undies.jpg

OR?

http://www.dalesiogrp.com/gallery/Gallery8/Gallery8Pics/Large/PirateBootyCloesUp.jpg

Tinker
01-13-2010, 17:19
http://www.featheredfriends.com/Picasso/Images/acc/booties.jpg

OR?

http://www.piratemerch.com/images/pirates_booty_undies.jpg

OR?

http://www.dalesiogrp.com/gallery/Gallery8/Gallery8Pics/Large/PirateBootyCloesUp.jpg

Watch it there, young man! ;)

ShelterLeopard
01-13-2010, 17:20
Edit: Watch it there, you woman! ShLep is female. (:P )

ShelterLeopard
01-13-2010, 17:21
I meant :p.

Tinker
01-13-2010, 17:23
I meant :p.
My, My, My BAD!

I was also wondering how you knew about Pirate's, well, you know! :o

ShelterLeopard
01-13-2010, 17:26
People always think I'm a guy on here! It's kinda funny. :P

Also, favorite food:
http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/pirate-booty.jpg

Tinker
01-13-2010, 17:29
Shlep - Could you explain the trail (forum) name. I guess I figured that a leopard is a tough cat - again, it's the assumption - my bad.

Bags4266
01-13-2010, 17:29
If you were thing of Moccocians(sp) how bout the Crocs Momouth. They have a furry liner, rugged, water shoe, shower shoe. Take the liner out come warmer months. There not the warmth of down but they would be versitile.

ShelterLeopard
01-13-2010, 17:35
Shlep - Could you explain the trail (forum) name. I guess I figured that a leopard is a tough cat - again, it's the assumption - my bad.

I used to sleep in shelters a lot (now I mostly like tenting more), and I always got annoyed when a group would come and take over the whole shelter (you know, boy scouts, churches, etc...) so I'd eat them. Well, the thought'd cross my mind, anyway. Besides, big cats always look so comfortable and solid when they're lying or sitting down.

And on my section this past summer, a bunch of thru hikers dubbed me "blueberry" after I ate all the blueberries on the top of the mountain, came into town and bought 3 pints of blueberries and a blueberry pie. (I used to be traceless, because I picked up every piece of trash in the hundred mile wilderness and Baxter SP). Both were too feminine though, so I ditched 'em.

LIhikers
01-13-2010, 17:38
I too have the Feathered Friends booties.
Warm, light, packable, and no problem to walk around in. That's my experience anyway. Yes they're expensive but you won't have to worry about them. I've used mine in temperatures well below zero and been warm enough.

Tinker
01-13-2010, 17:49
I was thinking about trying my Neos Navigators http://www.overshoe.com/recreational/products/detail.php?s=N5P
on a winter trip where crampons are probably not necessary (deep snow) and I would use them with snowshoes. They fit over my trail runners and I don't see why I couldn't put my down booties inside them for camp use.

white_russian
01-13-2010, 18:30
I was thinking about trying my Neos Navigators http://www.overshoe.com/recreational/products/detail.php?s=N5P
on a winter trip where crampons are probably not necessary (deep snow) and I would use them with snowshoes. They fit over my trail runners and I don't see why I couldn't put my down booties inside them for camp use.
I used to work in a pair of NEOS when it was wet out. They were surprisingly very comfortable and not that awkward.

Snowleopard
01-13-2010, 18:48

I've been experimenting with my new Neos Adventurers with the felt liners from a pair of uncomfortable pac boots (no shoes inside, just the liners). So far they seem pretty comfortable. I haven't tried them with snowshoes yet because I've had a cold, but I expect they'll be good.
http://www.overshoe.com/recreational/products/detail.php?s=ANN

PS Tinker, Most non-extinct mammal species have both male and female versions. This includes leopards. --Walter (aka Snowleopard)

Mongoose2
01-13-2010, 18:55
I have REI down booties, very warm and good to use as camp shoes. Found them at Goodwill, $2.99. An amazing find!

Spogatz
01-13-2010, 22:31
I have an old pair of REI booties and I thought I would take some contact cement and rubberize the bottoms of the booties. If not contact cement then maybe some ShoeGoo... One of these should work pretty good.

Dogwood
01-13-2010, 23:10
ShelterLeopard, you wear those FF down booties on your feet and those Bootie undies on a booty that looks like that around the campfire I'm hiking the AT this yr!

Jim Adams
01-14-2010, 00:25
Pirates! Are you into the FSM?

I've owned synthetic booties, and down booties. All were slippery around camp due to the sole..nylon and flat however, they all kept my feet warm and comfortable. The ones I'm currently using are TNF, down and have a VERY aggressive lugged rubber sole on them. They are faily light considering the sole and I could actually use them to hike out of the trail to a town if needed. $96 retail...$22 on steep-n-cheap.

BTW, don't worry about mud...if you are walking around camp or hiking and it is muddy then it is also too warm for booties...better off in those conditions with polar fleece socks in your crocs or tevas.

geek

ShelterLeopard
01-14-2010, 11:34
ShelterLeopard, you wear those FF down booties on your feet and those Bootie undies on a booty that looks like that around the campfire I'm hiking the AT this yr!

[Smack] And not on a rear end of mine!

Pirates! Are you into the FSM?

I've owned synthetic booties, and down booties. All were slippery around camp due to the sole..nylon and flat however, they all kept my feet warm and comfortable. The ones I'm currently using are TNF, down and have a VERY aggressive lugged rubber sole on them. They are faily light considering the sole and I could actually use them to hike out of the trail to a town if needed. $96 retail...$22 on steep-n-cheap.

BTW, don't worry about mud...if you are walking around camp or hiking and it is muddy then it is also too warm for booties...better off in those conditions with polar fleece socks in your crocs or tevas.

geek

Geek, I was practically baptised in a vat of Ragu!

And I was hoping they'd come up on steep 'n cheap, but they never did. I'll report back after trying the feathered friends booties.

white_russian
01-14-2010, 11:51
In the south we got this stuff called red clay. It gets everywhere. When it freezes it the clay doesn't just firm up to a solid block, it just shoots up ice crystals and when you step on it you slide and it gets all over your shoes.

rjridgely
01-14-2010, 12:01
I have owned 4 different pairs over the years and my favorite are ones that were made by mountain hardwear years ago, since discontinued. wish i had bought extras. what makes them better than others i had worn:

treaded outer sole for traction , a removable insole for support , waterproof conduit membrane & they stay on my feet.

allows me to wear them in snow as well as non-snow conditions.

also great for around town.

Jim Adams
01-14-2010, 15:17
In the south we got this stuff called red clay. It gets everywhere. When it freezes it the clay doesn't just firm up to a solid block, it just shoots up ice crystals and when you step on it you slide and it gets all over your shoes.
I have hiked from Springer north at least for a week every year since 2002 during mid March. Have seen and hiked in the red frozen clay crystals that you mention...a little slick but not really muddy, just a little color change.

geek

springerfever
01-14-2010, 17:03
I received a pair of the FF down booties for Christmas. I like the versatility of the design as mentioned by White Russian. The down inserts also have three small snaps that can be fastened for snugness or rolled down and snapped. Very nice to have the shells available for a midnight calling. Very easy to slip the shells on, cinch up the toggles and take care of business. Return, drop the shells and back in the sack. Easy and clean.

I also have a Nunatak Balaclava that I picked up a few years ago to pair up with a WM Aspen (now the Alder). Extremely warm and works well with a hoodless sleeping bag that also converts to a comforter. In winter hiking I also pair it up with a WM Badger.

Both of these products are great for keeping your head and feet warmer and both also have multi-use capabilities. The only drawback I have found with the booties is their size (mine are Large). Yes, the down and material compress to almost nothing, but the soles are approx 3/8" thick and fairly bulky. I'll probably see if I can fit them in my stuff sack with the down bag.

ShelterLeopard
01-17-2010, 23:10
The FF booties? DEFINITELY worth it. Not only are they warm, but on my (many) late night trips to the privy, I can keep my feet warm and dry!

Wise Old Owl
01-17-2010, 23:33
Rei is almost sold out - tune in next Christmas

Dogwood
01-18-2010, 01:35
Whoever you decide to order down booties from make sure you understand what you are getting. Although FF and Nunatak down booties are way expensive at least I can easily find out from them exactly how much my XL size would weigh and how much actual down, and the key word is "down", is in their booties, and the level of that down. Just took me several exasperating Emails to some of those outfitters/gear companies named in this thread to find out that in SOME of those other "down" booties mentioned there is actually very little "down" in them. One of those popular gear companies gave me a total wt of XL size "down booties at 10.5 ozs and they had less than 1 oz total of mediocre quality down in the pair of booties. It seems that you can pay for down booties and really not receive all that much down! I don't know about anyone else but when I purchase down booties I want most of the wt of those booties coming from the warmth of decent quality down to keep my tootsies toasty!

jrwiesz
01-18-2010, 05:45
...I don't know about anyone else but when I purchase down booties I want most of the wt of those booties coming from the warmth of decent quality down to keep my tootsies toasty!

Exactly!
Perhaps a worth while DIY project?:-?

Wags
01-18-2010, 17:43
some dude is making them and taking orders over at bpl dot com

Bags4266
01-18-2010, 17:51
I have an old down jacket, maybe 35 years old that I no longer use. This might be a project for me. Down Booties

jrwiesz
01-18-2010, 21:11
I have an old down jacket, maybe 35 years old that I no longer use. This might be a project for me. Down Booties

My thought exactly; I have an old TNF vest-time for booties.

Of course, any time is a good time for booty.:D

Mud__Bone
01-19-2010, 00:13
great info here, thx

Tinker
01-19-2010, 01:03
Sierra Trading Post has some down booties on sale now:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,59772_Acorn-Upside-Down-Booties-For-Women.html
For anyone still looking.

leaftye
01-19-2010, 02:29
I'll give the guy on backpackinglight another plug. A pair of his booties weigh 2.0-2.4 oz depending on the size. The loft is 3-3.5" with down inside. It's $55 shipped starting tomorrow. He's also working on covers for outside use that will add another ~2 oz.

ShelterLeopard
01-19-2010, 11:07
Would've considered backpacking light, but didn't have time to wait for him.

leaftye
01-19-2010, 11:54
Oh, I know. It's for the others that are complaining about the other products currently available. I'd get them for sure, but since I'm planning on using a vapor barrier the down would become useless pretty quick.

ShelterLeopard
01-19-2010, 11:55
They do sound cool though!

ShelterLeopard
01-22-2010, 11:48
Just had to say, these booties save my evening! Seriously, having to get out of my warm sleeping bag at night to visit the privy/bush, and have my feet get cold was killing me. But now, all I have to do is slip on the outer shells, and warm dry feet accompany me to the wet and cold, and warm dry feet get back into bed with me.

Dear Feathered Friends,
I love you.
Sincerely,
ShLep

twodifferentsocks
01-22-2010, 12:34
I'm using this set up for a March 17th NOBO. They are coming in the mail this week, so I don't know if they'll work. I'll do a back yard test this month to see.
Sierra Designs Primaloft Packable Bootie Slipper - Men's
http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Sierra-Designs-Down-Packable-Bootie-Slipper-Mens/SDS0421M.html
COMBINED WITH
Crocs Specialist (No Holes - Safe if I tip a pot of boiling water over)
http://www.crocs.com/crocs-specialist/10073,default,pd.html?cgid=men-footwear-clogs&srule=price-sort-1-9

My feet get cold

SouthMark
01-22-2010, 13:40
Another choice, GooseFeet down socks:

http://goosefeet.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1165784

leaftye
01-25-2010, 12:12
Yep, the goosefeet booties are the ones I've been talking about. They're super light and you can get them overstuffed if you want extra warmth.