PDA

View Full Version : Health Insurance

AggieAl
01-12-2010, 22:53
Attached is some information on health insurance for people who may be doing a thru hike or similar trips. If you have any questions of items that should be added let me know.

For those who care I teach Finance and Insurance at New Mexico State University where I am Director of the Insurance and Risk Management Center. I was also an independent insurance agent for many years.

emerald
01-23-2010, 21:22
Younger adventurers may be covered by a parent's health insurance policy especially if they are full-time students.

jesse
01-27-2010, 05:45
I would leave out the reference to the current bill in Congress.

I disagree with COBRA being the best option. If a person is young, healthy and insurable it is probably not a good option. If you know you have a job to go back to, and you are healthy and insurable, short term is the best option. If a person is uninsurable COBRA is the best option, however, if they are not planning on returning to that employer, they are taking a huge risk. They won't be able to get coverage until they find a job with an employer who offers coverage.
Individual policies are the best option for those who are healthy, and will not be returning to their old job. For these people it is stupid not to buy a High Deductible plan that is Health Savings Account qualified.

I'm not sure about the Workers comp for self employed people.

Doooglas
01-27-2010, 06:44
I live in a first world country.
No problems.:cool:

emerald
03-04-2010, 21:59
Go to www.eHealthinsurance.com (http://www.eHealthinsurance.com) and see what's available.

safn1949
04-21-2010, 14:08
I'm 54 and have a catastrophic policy that costs me $250 a month,not bad considering my age.The trick is to save some money for the small emergencies so you can..gasp...actually pay for them yourself,kinda like we did in the 60's and 70's.

It's called personal responsibility.:D

modiyooch
06-30-2010, 07:44
Younger adventurers may be covered by a parent's health insurance policy especially if they are full-time students.no longer have to be a full time student. Recent change for us. Kids can stay on until age 26 regardless.

Trailbender
07-27-2010, 13:56
Health insurance is too costly, and does not cover enough. It needs to be cheaper and more available. I am a 30 year old male, in great shape, I work out, ect, and still could not find an affordable policy anywhere. Fortunately(or unfortunately) I have VA healthcare. I rarely get sick, so it is not much of an issue.

Luddite
07-27-2010, 14:22
I went to the hospital recently and now I owe them $2300! I'd love to know how they come up with these ridiculous prices.

Tuckahoe
07-27-2010, 23:06
I went to the hospital recently and now I owe them $2300! I'd love to know how they come up with these ridiculous prices.

And what made it a rediculous price?

Trailbender
07-28-2010, 08:27

I went to the emergency room with a migraine years ago. I was throwing up, could barely see, and in a ridiculous amount of pain. I got one shot, and my bill was $700. Tell me that is not way overpriced, as well as unaffordable for the working man.

Luddite
07-28-2010, 19:42

The amount that it came to - $2300

Dogwood
07-28-2010, 20:02
When I took a leave of absence from my job(to hike) and my health benefits were put on hold I picked up the low cost pay from month to month Careington Dental Plan that provided for my dental needs/emergencies while hiking. Might want to check them out if you have no dental coverage while hiking. Careington gives good discounts for virtually all dental services. It is however not dental insurance.

mdbuckman
08-23-2010, 16:58
good stuff thanks

lilricky
08-24-2010, 18:54
Health insurance is too costly, and does not cover enough. It needs to be cheaper and more available. I am a 30 year old male, in great shape, I work out, ect, and still could not find an affordable policy anywhere. Fortunately(or unfortunately) I have VA healthcare. I rarely get sick, so it is not much of an issue.

Wow, I don't know where you live, but here in Florida, a 30 year old male in good shape can get a policy around $40 a month. Cheaper than your cable bill, I'm sure.

lilricky
08-24-2010, 19:04
I went to the emergency room with a migraine years ago. I was throwing up, could barely see, and in a ridiculous amount of pain. I got one shot, and my bill was $700. Tell me that is not way overpriced, as well as unaffordable for the working man.

And you just accepted that amount? Let me tell you how you get that knocked way down. ASK FOR AN ITEMIZED BILL! Once you have that document you can see what exactly they are billing you for. There are alot of things they will try and bill you for that never happen. For example, they will try and bill you $150 for laundry services, nevermind that you never had them launder anything, you had the opportunity to use it, so they try and bill you for it. Getting billed for services not rendered is not legal. Also, that shot? Under current US law(if you live in the US) hospitals, urgent care facilities, or doctors cannot gouge a treatment over 10% of the current going rate for that medicine or procedure. All you have to do is call the local urgent care, or doctor's office and ask how much a certain medicine is. Then confront the billing department. They will try and tell you that cost is what they had contracted with the insurance company. Tell them you're not with an insurance company. Getting these over inflated prices down isn't hard, but it does take a bit of effort. Effort that most people choose not to exercise.

Doc Mike
08-25-2010, 08:05
As a note. It is illegal to charge a cash paying person less than the amount that medicare will reimburse for a proceedure or a shot for that matter. Punishable by 10,000 dollar fine per occurce based on a percentage of your charts. So for example suppose I was audited on 20 charts and I did this one time. It is a $10,000 fine on 5 percent of my 11,000 active charts.

Now I'm not saying this is fair to the doctors or the patients but it is a fact of life and healthcare in this country.

Recently a doctor in new york wanted to charge a flat rate to come to his clinics, he was threatened with fines and a lawsuit from medicare if he didn't raise the price and charge more.

Does the system need fixed? Hell Yes. Did ObamaCare fix it or even address it Hell No.

Sorry about the soap box but some things get under my skin.

BTW My thru-hike is scheduled for 6 years from now when my youngest son finishes High School. My plan is to provide free medical care from GA to ME. This will be expensive on my part (300 plus/per for license in every state) and the extra weight of equipment / meds, but I feel it will make the entire experience even more enjoyable.

HYOH
Doc Mike

Trailbender
08-25-2010, 11:44
And you just accepted that amount? Let me tell you how you get that knocked way down. ASK FOR AN ITEMIZED BILL! Once you have that document you can see what exactly they are billing you for. There are alot of things they will try and bill you for that never happen. For example, they will try and bill you $150 for laundry services, nevermind that you never had them launder anything, you had the opportunity to use it, so they try and bill you for it. Getting billed for services not rendered is not legal. Also, that shot? Under current US law(if you live in the US) hospitals, urgent care facilities, or doctors cannot gouge a treatment over 10% of the current going rate for that medicine or procedure. All you have to do is call the local urgent care, or doctor's office and ask how much a certain medicine is. Then confront the billing department. They will try and tell you that cost is what they had contracted with the insurance company. Tell them you're not with an insurance company. Getting these over inflated prices down isn't hard, but it does take a bit of effort. Effort that most people choose not to exercise.

Thanks for the advice. I will be sure to do this next time if I ever need to go to the emergency room.

10-K
08-25-2010, 12:13
Thanks for the advice. I will be sure to do this next time if I ever need to go to the emergency room.

Remember not to be a jerk - the employee that you'll be talking too didn't create the bill.

Trailbender
08-25-2010, 16:04
Remember not to be a jerk - the employee that you'll be talking too didn't create the bill.

Yeah, I am nice to people, usually. I have been a wage slave in a crap job before, so I know what it is like.

TheYoungOne
10-09-2010, 21:03
I have my own business had to buy Health insurance directly. For a family of 4, I pay $600 a month. That is eyes glasses, $30 co-pay for generic meds and the doc and a $100 co-pay for a hospital visit.

Shop around, for a single person, along with dropping coverages you don't need, it might be cheap. And the best part is the Blue Cross premium is taken from my checking account, so you don't have to rely on an employer giving you coverage, or milking some government program. Just save up the money, leave it in an account and go.

Trailbender
02-10-2011, 16:41
Wow, I don't know where you live, but here in Florida, a 30 year old male in good shape can get a policy around $40 a month. Cheaper than your cable bill, I'm sure.

Not really, I don't watch TV.

envirodiver
02-10-2011, 17:05
hello, i am rashmi, it is a good site. debt management plan refers to a repayment plan designed especially for you.If you do, then debt management could be just what you have been looking for.
================================

Rashmi, I think you are a dirty rotten spammer that just joined this site today so that you could spam people.

Yo Momma didn't raise you right.

wrongway_08
02-10-2011, 17:14
Yea, they charge waaaay to much for fixing crap. Don't let them screw you or your insurance company over!

A little work goes a long way.

AndyScott
03-28-2011, 02:21
Health insurance is a must for everyone in today's world...we should not compromise on it...

fiddlehead
03-28-2011, 09:00
Health insurance is a must for everyone in today's world...we should not compromise on it...
Sounds like someone in the insurance business.
I dropped mine in 1985 (was paying aprox 340 a month)

Had to go to the hospital in the states twice since then. both times it cost me less than $500 (each)

so, I wouldn't agree with your statement.
I figure I saved about $80k so far. (probably more cause rates are probably up from that price)

emerald
03-28-2011, 11:55
I thought comments were to pertain to the article itself and include corrections and suggestions for additions or improvements.

What I see increasingly looks like a thread debating the necessity of medical insurance, politics and what some believe to be exorbitant costs associated with medical care rather than comments that might lead to an improved and released article.

Walkintom
03-28-2011, 23:41
Health insurance is something that you should not do without. The reason to have it is in case of catastrophic circumstances.

Firsthand example: When I was 17 my brother was in a catastrophic accident. The cost was well over $250k. That was in 1989. AND he elected to stop reconstructive surgery after the third procedure. My parents out of pocket medical expenses stopped after $5k. And it STILL wreaked havoc on their finances for years. The costs add up all over the place, unbelievably fast.

Secondhand example: I had an employee two years ago, who was on her way home after working second shift. It was about 11PM and she was on a roadway that was not very busy. As she crossed an intersection with the sigal another driver struck her car at high speed, Tbone style. She suffered from intense dizzy spells and nausea for over 4 months. The other driver also claimed to have been crossing with the light - the case was initially written up as no fault until a witness came forward weeks later. It was over half a year before she received an insurance settlment for her totalled car.

Neither of these real life incidents were readily predicable. Either could happen to most of us. My brother was caught in an explosion and nearly died. My employee was obeying traffic laws and could not avoid being struck. It could happen to me or you.

Insurance is a buffer against total ruin if that unlikely event does occur. I don't know why the same people who think that they will win lotto often believe that they simply will not be struck by lightning.

No, I don't sell it; but I do have it.

josefpeter
07-23-2011, 00:29
The term health insurance (popularly known as Medical Insurance or Mediclaim) is a type of insurance that covers your medical expenses.The concept of health insurance is new in India but its awareness is growing fast. Health insurance comes in handy in case of severe emergencies. Life is unpredictable, insurance can make it safe and secure from bearing huge financial loss. A health insurance policy is a contract between an insurance company and an individual. Sometimes it is associated with covering disability and custodial needs. The contract is renewable annually.

MuddyWaters
07-23-2011, 21:51
Health insurance is unfortunately necessary. The entire medical industry is a giant scam. They charge different people different prices for the same things, and if you dont have a big-name insurer to negotiate your pricing for you, you may pay 10x as much for the same thing as those that have insurance. Different facilities charge dramatically different prices, and no one gives you price up front, or provides a guarantee of what you get for your money, sometimes..hundreds of thousands of dollars.

A second problem is that unfortunately we keep people alive too long today, when they shouldnt be, because we have the technology to do so. That puts tremendous burden on everyone thru exorbitant medicare/medicaid costs. Hospitals and doctors perform whatever procedures they can get away with to pad their pockets. They also must use best available technology or they could be liable if something went wrong. Best available technology in some cases is ridiculously expensive.

My dying dad had a tracheostomy done so he could be on a ventillator to breath without tube down throat. A 30 min procedure, which requires all of putting a 1/2" slit in his throat, and inserting a tube. The cost for this ultra-simple procedure.....$435,000. His medicare also had been used up so he was liable to pay out of pocket, or his estate was. Which the hospitals know.

The day he died , as he was dying, his heart failing, a scumbag surgeon came by to consult on a gastro procedure that would have made no difference at all, his body had been shutting down for several days.

In all, he maxed out his medicare, supplemental insurance, and died owing millions of dollars in expenses, because he wasnt allowed to die a the time he should have. Medical expenses are a leading cause of bankruptcy, even WITH insurance, supplemental insurance, you name it.

Heres a tip. Dont probate an estate until after several yrs, and those bills will go away. Screw the hospitals when you can, because they do it to you everyday.

emerald
07-24-2011, 07:53
People have now had over a year and a half to comment upon this article and haven't suggested any substantial improvements. I take that to mean it's quite satisfactory as is.

Trailbender
07-24-2011, 09:20
My dying dad had a tracheostomy done so he could be on a ventillator to breath without tube down throat. A 30 min procedure, which requires all of putting a 1/2" slit in his throat, and inserting a tube. The cost for this ultra-simple procedure.....$435,000. His medicare also had been used up so he was liable to pay out of pocket, or his estate was. Which the hospitals know.

Hell, I did one of those in Iraq in 45 seconds with a pocketknife and an empty bic pen tube.

It does amaze me in our country that something as simple, basic, and necessary as health care is so expensive and unavailable.

rickb
07-24-2011, 10:34
People have now had over a year and a half to comment upon this article and haven't suggested any substantial improvements. I take that to mean it's quite satisfactory as is.

IMHO opinion the article is a bit too simplistic.

For example, it mentions short term health insurance as a viable option, but does not address how one might renew or replace such policies once the term expires. That seems to be a significant down side, in my opinion, but does not get sufficient attention.

Get a heart attack or diagnosed with cancer on the trail and your initial bills may be covered with your temporary policy, but you will soon be effectively uninsurable. Right?

To put this another way, your temp insurance plan might help you for a bit, but then you could be screwed for a lifetime. Unless you live in a state like Massachusetts, or can get on a spouses policy, etc...

Another thing the article doesn't cover is the difference between protecting your heath care options with insurance vs protecting your assets. That leads to the whole idea that no one insurance solution is best for everyone.

Panzer1
07-24-2011, 12:28
If you can afford health insurance then you should get it.
If you can not afford health insurance then don't get it.

Its a matter of how well off you are.

Panzer

WingedMonkey
07-24-2011, 13:14

It's because Josefpeter woke the subject up to post his link to SPAM, just as his other posts, I guess it's some kinda robo posting thing where they fake knowing the subject.
Seems to happen regularly on here.
For some reason it's almost always the old postings they wake up, maybe to go under the radar.

nathan2
07-24-2011, 13:32
Not health insurance related, but my GF and I have renters insurance through all state which will covers our belongings whilst traveling... Not that I anticipate being mugged for my pepsi can stove on the trail lol.

Trailbender
07-24-2011, 15:13
If you can afford health insurance then you should get it.
If you can not afford health insurance then don't get it.

Its a matter of how well off you are.

Panzer

I'm surprised no one sees what is really wrong with this statement. Not that you are wrong, I mean, but basically it means, if you are poor, you can just die.

JAK
03-26-2012, 12:11
... maybe so, but your health care system and health insurance companies are predatory.

Derek81pci
04-05-2012, 19:20
Best hiker insurance = duct tape :D

Hussy02
02-07-2013, 07:13
I dont try It .....

rickb
02-07-2013, 08:12
I'm surprised no one sees what is really wrong with this statement. Not that you are wrong, I mean, but basically it means, if you are poor, you can just die.

For a start, you might want to google up Medicaid.

Insurance protects one's financial assets (to some extent) and gives a patient more healthcare options (to some extent).

The system is messed up, but it doesn't mean the poor are left on the curb to die. On the other it does mean a middle aged guy with a house that is paid and wants to do without for a bit is taking a greater gamble than a kid with $3000 in the bank. Everyone,s situation is different, of course.

Starchild
02-07-2013, 09:30
Some may also look into medical cost sharing programs if medical insurance is out of reach, medical cost sharing also qualified for the Obama health care tax issue the same as medical insurance. They are at a fraction of the cost, something in the $100/month range, work a bit differently, as money pooled is redistributed to those in need. Most if not all however are christian based, though there may be ones that differ in that and if anyone knows of one please let me know.

Peace

AuntieSarah
02-10-2013, 01:46
My problem with finding health insurance is the pre-existing condition exclusion/riders issue. What do you do for health insurance if you have a pre-existing condition and can't get health insurance through an employer? Too bad for you, so it seems! Thankfully, I do have insurance through my employer, but I don't love my job and want to leave it to hike the AT. But since I don't want to go back to my employer after my hike, I can't use COBRA. So the only way I can do a thru is if I can get private health insurance, and I specifically need it to cover my pre-existing conditions, which due to their nature could be issues for me on the AT. I'm waiting to hear back but odds are not good for me...It's hard to plan a trip when you don't even know if you'll be able to go. The health insurance situation in this country is a mess, especially for peeps like me....Even if I wait til 2014, when Obamacare goes into effect so I can't be denied coverage because of pre-existing conditions, will the insurance even cover ALL my conditions or will they stack on a bunch of riders? And if so, can it possibly be affordable?? Does anybody know about this?

hauptman
02-10-2013, 02:35
Covered, but not cheap. Unfortunately, I am stuck with my current plan for a while longer.

hikingirl
02-10-2013, 10:49
So I am curious then, I will not have insurance coverage for my hike. Should I risk it or purchase insurance for the trip? What have others done? Thanks

TheGreek
02-10-2013, 15:54
So I am curious then, I will not have insurance coverage for my hike. Should I risk it or purchase insurance for the trip? What have others done? Thanks

Get at least catastrophic coverage. A broken leg these days can run $10K+ even without surgery.

pelenaka
02-10-2013, 16:59
I didn't have health insurance for years as back in the day agencies didn't offer. I was younger had no chronic illnesses figured I couldn't treat myself since I'm a nurse.

Here are a few of my tricks THAT I USED for a nonhiking life -
For bad sprains where I can't decide if it may in fact be broken get a script from a chiropractor ($50 or under) for an X-ray, while they can't prescribe drugs they can order films. Use a non-hospital affiliated imaging clinic ($50 or under), much cheaper.
Sinus/head cold I scheduled dental visit ($35) & complained of a tooth ache in my upper jaw. I mention that I have a bad sinus thing going on & I wasn't sure if it was that or a cavity. Dentists can write scripts.

Toolshed
02-10-2013, 17:25
My problem with finding health insurance is the pre-existing condition exclusion/riders issue. What do you do for health insurance if you have a pre-existing condition and can't get health insurance through an employer? Too bad for you, so it seems! Thankfully, I do have insurance through my employer, but I don't love my job and want to leave it to hike the AT. But since I don't want to go back to my employer after my hike, I can't use COBRA. So the only way I can do a thru is if I can get private health insurance, and I specifically need it to cover my pre-existing conditions, which due to their nature could be issues for me on the AT. I'm waiting to hear back but odds are not good for me...It's hard to plan a trip when you don't even know if you'll be able to go. The health insurance situation in this country is a mess, especially for peeps like me....Even if I wait til 2014, when Obamacare goes into effect so I can't be denied coverage because of pre-existing conditions, will the insurance even cover ALL my conditions or will they stack on a bunch of riders? And if so, can it possibly be affordable?? Does anybody know about this?

I am not quite sure if all of what you have writtne is accurate. If you change employers, you can port your existing insurance via COBRA. However, if you drop your existing insurance, you still have 60 or so days of no coverage before you would become party to requirements of pre-existing conditions clauses of a new health plan.
As long as you had 12 months of current coverage, you should be fine. So if you quit your job and did not elect cobra, and you had 12 months health care coverage under your old employer, youo could switch jobs and get covered under a new employer's health plan within 60 days with no PreX clause requirements. Let's say you had a 4 month lapse of coverage (which would actually be a 6 months lapse not counting the 60 day eligibility period) between jobs, You would get immeidiate coverage under your new employer, but you might not be eligible under your new employers coverage for any PreX for 4 months, but that also depends on your employers insurance requirements. some monitor, some do not..

However - If you choose COBRA, you do not have to go back to work for your old employer. COBRA is an option to allow you to continue (or port) your existing coverage for a period of up to 18 months (might be 12 months - I cannot recall) while you seek new employment or new health care coverage. And you do not have to elect COBRA until the 60th day into your eligible COBRA period, and it is retro to the first day of COBRA. The beauty of COBRA is that it offers evidence of insurability so you can join a new health care plan after your hike and have no PreX Exclusions. as far as 2014, PPACA does not offer a gaurantee that you would pay the same for coverage as someone without your medical conditions, it just dis-allows health care plans from excluding you from receiving coverage. In other words, if a healthy 20 year old is paying $200/month and you are 55 with diabetes, cancer and cardio disease, you won't be paying $200/month, you might be paying a much higher $1600/month...However, you should be eligible for coverage and your provider will likely be paying your claims on day 1 and won't be making any money off you. Under PPACA, ther will be PreX Pools in which you would be able to enroll for teh time period of any exclusion. But this is enough for this forum. for today. at least..... Though If it is a concern to you (and it sounds like it is), you should read up on it and discuss it with your employers benefits office..

Think
04-07-2013, 23:29
This article is very informative, thanks for posting

Oslohiker
04-08-2013, 03:38

It make them ridiculous if you compare to other countries. In Norway, we have a 60% higher average income than in the USA, but still privatized hospitals charge you much less than in the US. Of course, they compete with public hospitals where medical care are free. But still, they manage to make a good living out of their pracitice.