PDA

View Full Version : Camping Along the Trail

AeroGuyDC
01-13-2010, 15:24
(Warning: AT Newbie Question)

As I scour maps to prepare for my upcoming (first) section hike of 112 miles, and seeing all the shelters plotted along the trail, I began to wonder if camping trailside at most any point along the trail was common? Or is it generally understood that reaching a certain shelter is the goal for sleeping for the night (whether in a tent or in the shelter)?

Suppose that I reach a point of exhaustion or hunger, and decide to just "stop there" for the night. Aside from private property, is it common to see tents along the trail outside of the normal shelter areas?

Lone Wolf
01-13-2010, 15:26
Suppose that I reach a point of exhaustion or hunger, and decide to just "stop there" for the night. Aside from private property, is it common to see tents along the trail outside of the normal shelter areas?

yes it is ....

Ender
01-13-2010, 15:26
It's not that common to see at all, most camping on the AT is usually confined to designated campsites or around shelters. However, you will see it from time to time. And, as long as there are no camping restrictions in the area, it's fine to do as well. At least as far as I know.

Ender
01-13-2010, 15:27
yes it is ....

LW has a lot more experience in this area (and most others re: the AT) than me... I defer to him on this one.

Ox97GaMe
01-13-2010, 15:29
there are other designated campsites along the trail as well, except in the national parks (Smokies, Shennandoah, Whites). The main thing is that hikers try to be near a water source at night so they can cook dinner and fill up waterbottles for the next morning. There is no restriction on where you can camp outside of the 3 forementioned parks. Actually finding a suitable spot might be an issue in some areas. Thick rhododendron or briars or marshy conditions my limit your options.

Ender
01-13-2010, 15:31
There is no restriction on where you can camp outside of the 3 forementioned parks.

There are other areas where you aren't allowed to, though not nearly as large as those two areas. Right beside Nuclear Lake in NY is one, inside Clarence Farnstock Park (I believe that's the one... the park just east of the Metro North stop in NY) is another. Whatever guidebook you have should tell you the restrictions, and they should be posted on site as well.

sasquatch2014
01-13-2010, 15:31
there are other designated campsites along the trail as well, except in the national parks (Smokies, Shennandoah, Whites). The main thing is that hikers try to be near a water source at night so they can cook dinner and fill up waterbottles for the next morning. There is no restriction on where you can camp outside of the 3 forementioned parks. Actually finding a suitable spot might be an issue in some areas. Thick rhododendron or briars or marshy conditions my limit your options.

SNP does not restrict you other than having limits as to how far or close you can be from certain things, campgrounds, water sources, roads etc. they ask that you follow LNT guidelines.

Ox97GaMe
01-13-2010, 15:32
water sources and campsites are listed in either the AT data book or the Thru Hikers Companion. might be worth while to purchase either of those for your trip as well.

AeroGuyDC
01-13-2010, 15:36
Thanks to all of you for your responses. This forum is awesome.

I have the 2009 version of the AT Data Book, but have not yet deciphered point to point accommodations like water, camp sites, etc. just yet. I probably could have answered my own question by looking at the AT Data Book. Neverhtheless, I appreciate all of your responses.

Blissful
01-13-2010, 15:43
Stop where you want - except in certain areas that have rules like GSMNP and SNP, etc. I prefer already established and used campsites myself which are numerous down south and by water sources (see maps).

Blissful
01-13-2010, 15:44
SNP does not restrict you other than having limits as to how far or close you can be from certain things, campgrounds, water sources, roads etc. they ask that you follow LNT guidelines.

And you need a permit (which you can get upon entering the park). And rangers do check them.

Blissful
01-13-2010, 15:46
There are other areas where you aren't allowed to, though not nearly as large as those two areas. Right beside Nuclear Lake in NY is one, inside Clarence Farnstock Park (I believe that's the one... the park just east of the Metro North stop in NY) is another. Whatever guidebook you have should tell you the restrictions, and they should be posted on site as well.

CT has restrictions also. So does DWG area, and no camping when you first enter NJ. The Whites do as well, usually near the huts. Also some areas in PA. Guidebooks usually tell you.

slugger
01-13-2010, 15:47
Aside from private property, is it common to see tents along the trail outside of the normal shelter areas?

Just follow Leave No Trace (http://www.lnt.org/). Enjoy Camping!

scope
01-13-2010, 15:55
Be quiet in between the campsites and shelters, you might be passing someone asleep in their hammock. ;)

Just Plain Jim
01-13-2010, 16:05
The last few years I've stopped at shelter areas most of the time just to eat my meals and tented in the woods off of the trail. I likt to stelth camp as long as I don't break any rules.

white_russian
01-13-2010, 16:34
I likt to stelth camp as long as I don't break any rules.
You see, to me that is just called camping. Stealth Camping in my book is when I do break the rules.

Just Plain Jim
01-13-2010, 16:40
Ah!!! So that's how you spell "Stealth".:-? I'll have to read your book.:rolleyes:

emerald
01-13-2010, 17:24
I have the 2009 version of the AT Data Book ...

Now you have ALDHA's Companion too! Camping regulations vary from place to place. Refer to your maps, read your handbook and pay attention to posted signage.

See also ATC's Hike the Trail (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805465/k.9760/Hike_the_Trail.htm), Plan a Hike and Camping and Shelters (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805485/k.598A/Camping_and_Shelters.htm). Click on the page titles or my screen name to locate the Straight Forward thread called ATC's Hike the Trail. Alternatively, point your browser to www.appalachiantrail.org (http://www.appalachiantrail.org) and click on The Trail tab.

Dispersed camping is a neutral term preferred by AT resource managers.

Cookerhiker
01-13-2010, 21:27

There are some specific areas in NY like the ones you mentioned plus Harriman Park where camping is prohibited or restricted. But apparently you can't camp anywhere in NY except at shelters/designated sites- at least if this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37327&highlight=Hudson) is accurate. But I'm still in doubt. The latest (2007) NJ/NY Guidebook states stipulates the camping restriction but the previous version did not. I have the 2008 ALDHA Companion which does not mention the restriction but the 2009 version does.

I never got an answer to my question on the other thread of who or what organization made the change. My suspicion is the the NYNJ Trail Conference simply implemented a policy change through editorial discretion i.e. the Guidebook. So I'm not sure how "legal" this restriction is east of the Hudson.

sasquatch2014
01-13-2010, 21:49
There are some specific areas in NY like the ones you mentioned plus Harriman Park where camping is prohibited or restricted. But apparently you can't camp anywhere in NY except at shelters/designated sites- at least if this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37327&highlight=Hudson) is accurate. But I'm still in doubt. The latest (2007) NJ/NY Guidebook states stipulates the camping restriction but the previous version did not. I have the 2008 ALDHA Companion which does not mention the restriction but the 2009 version does.

I never got an answer to my question on the other thread of who or what organization made the change. My suspicion is the the NYNJ Trail Conference simply implemented a policy change through editorial discretion i.e. the Guidebook. So I'm not sure how "legal" this restriction is east of the Hudson.

Good question. All I can say for sure is you get any hassell from me as long as you are being smart about it in my section.

Gramps
01-26-2010, 11:56
All these replies pose another question- in the places where tenting is restricted, are there signs so stating or is it a matter of having to pore over the guides so you don't break the rules? I will probably prefer tenting most of the time due to a penchant for snoring (as will my fellow hikers!)

emerald
01-26-2010, 14:12
Guide books and maps exist to inform hikers about trail conditions. Reading them is an important part of preparing for a hike.

Paying attention to posted signage is important too. Signs are posted to be read, not to clock time and squander tax revenue.

Tinker
01-26-2010, 14:23
(Warning: AT Newbie Question)

As I scour maps to prepare for my upcoming (first) section hike of 112 miles, and seeing all the shelters plotted along the trail, I began to wonder if camping trailside at most any point along the trail was common? Or is it generally understood that reaching a certain shelter is the goal for sleeping for the night (whether in a tent or in the shelter)?

The general rule of thumb (where camping is NOT prohibited) is "200 feet off the trail, 200 feet away from water sources, and, at least in the White Mountain National Forest, 1/4 mile from shelters, huts, etc."
If you're sick, lost, exhausted, etc. I doubt you'll be hassled too much if you're not within those guidelines. I've had to camp right off the trail a couple of times when ice storms kept us from making the mileage we needed to make a "legal" campsite. I did not feel guilty.

sasquatch2014
02-02-2010, 21:00
Wake up early enough that it doesn't matter and get on your way. If someone want to be a big prick about if you were 100' when you should have been 200' from the trail realize they have little in life to live for and laugh at them and then move on. By the way that also goes for all the people who will post how wrong I am for saying that.:rolleyes:

AeroGuyDC
02-02-2010, 21:03
Thanks to everyone for the great advice! This forum is awesome.