PDA

View Full Version : Durability of footwear

rocket04
09-13-2004, 13:41
I was able to hike almost the entire way on one pair of Merrells (from Franklin, NC all the way to Katahdin summit). I figure it's fairly uncommon for people to go on one pair of shoes/boots, anybody else done that and what did you wear? You'll see from the attached picture that my shoes were pretty much done by the time I finished, some people would have probably gotten rid of them earlier. As a matter of fact, the guy at the outfitter in Waynesboro, VA had told me that I only had another 100 miles left on them!

Blue Jay
09-13-2004, 14:14
I had a pair of Nike Goretex trail runners that almost went the whole way. Unfortunately they don't make them any more. I currently have a pair of just like yours with 800+, and they still feel good. I love Merrills. The key to long life is not hiking when you're dead tired. You can't pick up your feet and just smash them into the rocks, or at least that's what I do.

Youngblood
09-13-2004, 14:16
.... the guy at the outfitter in Waynesboro, VA had told me that I only had another 100 miles left on them!

Looking at the photo, I would say he was right.

Youngblood

bulldog
09-13-2004, 14:17
I forget the exact style, but I had a pair of Asolo gore-tex boots last from Springer to Hanover. On the PCT this summer a pair of New Balance shoes would last me about 1000 miles.

gweet4
09-14-2004, 04:18
Has anyone done the whole AT continously with only one pair of boots? And if so, what kind wore they? Should I expect to go through two pairs of boots during the trail???

chris
09-14-2004, 04:50
If you use trail runners, expect something in the range of 500-900 miles per pair. Some models hold up, externally, very well. However, internal cushioning begins to break down quickly after the 500 mile mark, and this is something that is difficult to detect. In general, I begin to switch out shoes at the 600 mile mark for this reason. Pushing further sometimes works, other times it doesn't. Again, the only danger is that which you cannot see. While this might not affect you, it could also end your hike, or at least make it unpleasant. New Balance generally makes high mileage shoes. Some Asics models (the Trabuco and TR1090) do well above 600 miles. Some don't (the Eagle Trail). If you buy a good pair of boots, they should make it the length. However, many boots, even by reputable manufacturers, won't make it 200, and shouldn't be worn on the trail. Now that I am thinking of it, I wouldn't recommend boots to be taken on the AT at all.

oruoja
09-14-2004, 09:09
Several years ago a hiker gear survey revealed that Vasque Sundowners appeared to be high up on the durability scale in surviving AT thru hikes. I have a pair from '96 with about 1500 miles on them. I bought a second pair in '02 that have maybe 750 miles and this pair falls short of the older ones for quality and comfort. After getting the second pair I read about the quality problems with Sundowners made in China versus the older ones made in Italy, and yes it is very true. Judging by the way the gear market is going, boots are being relegated to the attic or garage due to paring of ounces and pounds. However, a well made and comfortable boot is not only durable, but depending on a persons foot and ankle structure a boot may remain the right way to go in the long haul. I understand that the Vasque Sundowner MX2 is still made in Italy, but I don't know if the fit and quality rivals the older Sundowners from a decade ago.

PKH
09-14-2004, 18:19
My NB 706s did me through my IAT hike this summer. That's about 750 miles, plus say 200 before the through hike. Holes in the uppers and not very comfortable now. It's not just the miles of course. but the hiking conditions. My shoes were almost constantly mud and dew soaked for several weeks often going many days without a good drying. I'm sure this hastened the breakdown. The soles are still in excellent condition.

Cheers,

PKH

A-Train
09-14-2004, 19:11
If you're looking to get a lot of miles out of one shoe, check out the Vasque Velocity. No Goretex, just a damn good trail runner. I went from the NOC to Port Clinton, almost 1100 miles in them. They still had lots of life left when I left them at the Appalachian Outfitters in PC, just didn't wanna take a chance of them blowing out on the PA rocks. The majority of the 1100 miles were walking through rain during the long 03' rain spell. Damn good shoes I tell ya.

Grampie
09-14-2004, 19:35
During my thru in 01 I did the whole trail with the same pair of boots. I used a pair of Montrail, AT Hikers. Before the hike I had about 200 miles on them. I did have to have them resoled after 1200 miles.
They were completely worn out when I finished and they had to be trashed. :cool:

sloetoe
09-14-2004, 21:10
I figure it's fairly uncommon for people to go on one pair of shoes/boots, anybody else done that and what did you wear?

I've purchased three pair of boots in my life. And for what it's worth, I think I've gotten two blisters while hiking on the AT. (And none during my throughhike.)

1976, went ~3000 miles, ~850 before AT. Very close to this model:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.64724/dept_id.L2~347/qx/product.htm
Would have gone further, but they were stolen.

1993, purchased this model:
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.64724/dept_id.L2~347/qx/product.htm (yep, the same)
has gone about 1500 miles, but is aging too much for me not to retire it for winter use. Should get another 500+ miles out of it.

2004, purchased Limmer Lightweights
http://www.oasissports.com/oasis/oasissports.nsf/Limmer?OpenForm&id=1334A0D0EA40967885256D98003BA1E2
Tried 'em on as I finished a 6 week hike. Walked 10', turned around, and said "Sold!"
Hoping/Expecting something over 3000 miles.

MOWGLI
09-14-2004, 21:45
My Merrill Grand Traverse (full grain leather) boots probably would have made it the distance iif I hadn't tossed them near Natural Bridge, VA. They hurt my feet too darn much. The sole and leather was doing just fine.

It took me 2 more pairs of Garmont boots to get to Special K. The third pair of boots took me from NY to Katahdin, and they are still serviceable,