PDA

View Full Version : Clothing Choices for the JMT

Megapixel
01-13-2010, 21:27
I've checked a few trail journals and done the whole 3 degrees for every 1000 ft. of elevation change equation, but I still need some opinions on the typical weather I'll be experiencing this coming July 11 - August 6, as well as my choices here:

First, I'm thinking about just leaving the rain coat at home. I figure as long as what's inside my pack is protected, especially my sleeping bag, with the limited threat of rain only being afternoon t-storms, I can roll the dice here and save a bit of weight.

Second, I'm hoping to get by on a Patagonia Base Layer 1 long sleeve, a short sleeve hiking shirt, and a Montbell down parka. Should I bring another insulating layer here? I usually hike very warm, so again I'm hoping to save a bit of weight.

Thanks in advance for your help; I hope soon to post a gear list for this hike so I can see if there is anything I've missed.

Spirit Walker
01-13-2010, 23:51
Only afternoon thunderstorms? Have you ever been at 10,000' during a torrential hailstorm? You get soaked and you can get very chilled. On my JMT hike I was rained on numerous times. Some rains lasted all afternoon. On my PCT hike it snowed. In Colorado and Montana, hiking in July and August, the thunderstorms had me hypothermic - so much so that I could barely get the tent up. Yes, you may be plenty warm - but bring some rain gear.

Hooch
01-14-2010, 00:00
Agree with SpritWalker on this, leaving your rain jacket at home is just a bad idea. It's practically an engraved, hand delivered invitation for disaster. Hypothermia sets in fast, and even more so when you're wet. Do yourself a favor and bring the rain jacket. You won't be sorry.

Rambler
01-14-2010, 00:08
Ditto. Rain Gear is not just for rain. It provides a warming layer when the weather gets cold around camp in the evenings or early morning. August 10 - 24. I had but one rainy evening and one brief afternoon hail storm. But, I had a coating of ice on the tarp a couple of times, especially on my last night alongside Guitar Lake.
I wore my Golite rain jacket most evenings, and Golite Reed rain pants were my "long pants".

Here is the shirt I wore everyday which is now on sale for $19.95, a nice bargain!

Whoops...the sale is over http://www.railriders.com/men-eco-mesh-shirt-p-963.html?cPath=104_109

Megapixel
01-14-2010, 11:23
I have not ever been at 10000 feet, or a hail storm for that matter. Either or. I am new to hiking at that elevation...in fact I've never been out west. I will be packing the extra 13oz. now. Thanks for the advicE!:sun

Johnny Appleseed
01-25-2010, 21:07
rain gear is for mosquitoes too.

karoberts
01-25-2010, 21:21
Rain gear is also for wind and warmth. Leaving it behind would be a bad idea.

Dogwood
01-25-2010, 21:42
LOL You are rolling the dice if you leave a rain jacket at home when hiking the JMT in late July early Aug. I know JMTers that get away w/ it though. Personally, I think it too important on the JMT to leave an UL one at home.

Like some of the hiker savvy posters have mentioned rain jackets are not just for rain. I've long ago done away w/ that notion.

fiddlehead
01-25-2010, 21:52
Rain gear is one of my 10 essentials.
make that one of my 5 essentials.
I'd leave my hat, sunglasses, bug repellent, matches, firestarter, first aid kit and even map home before i left my rain coat.
Up to you of course though.

Helmuth.Fishmonger
01-28-2010, 10:20
First, I'm thinking about just leaving the rain coat at home.

you could regret this, big time.

Megapixel
01-28-2010, 17:15
I have not ever been at 10000 feet, or a hail storm for that matter. Either or. I am new to hiking at that elevation...in fact I've never been out west. I will be packing the extra 13oz. now. Thanks for the advicE!:sun

see above my friend, and thanx for the concern! :sun

RichardD
01-29-2010, 00:42
My 2008 hike was almost the same dates as your upcoming hike. We had very heavy afternoon rain and hail storms during the first week but essentially dry thereafter. I was very glad of my raingear. During these storms I met several PCT hikers and they had no raingear, they were very fit people and just hiked very fast through the rain so as to not get cold. It looked very risky to me.
I had several mornings where my tent had ice formed on the inside. I carried a down jacket and I never got cold. I now have a MontBell down liner jacket and that's what I will take this year.
My gear mistake was that I forgot to take sunglasses. The glare at high altitude was quite bothersome.
You are in for an incredible hike, it is magnificent.

Megapixel
01-31-2010, 10:29
Thanks Richard. I cannot wait.:D

Dogwood
01-31-2010, 10:36
Wouldn't be a bad idea to take along sunscreen for your face(ears, nose, lips) and a good lip balm too.