PDA

View Full Version : Sticklets

flyfisher
09-13-2004, 13:44
I have noticed for some time that my hands don't swell when I use hiking poles, but they do swell when I walk without them. This is especially easy to notice when I wear a ring when hiking. I guess that part of this is due to my hands hanging loose at my side and the tissue swelling from increased venous pressure.

Using my hands on the hiking poles hand grips seems to act as a pump to empty that extra tissue fluid.

I was doing some lunchtime walking today on a break from work, and noticed my hands beginning to swell. My wedding ring was stuck and would not come off my fingers.

On a lark, I picked up two sticks, each about 10 inches long and an inch in diameter. I fiddled with them in my hands for the next half hour of walking and found that the swelling in my hands decreased to the point that I could easily remove my ring.

I twirled the sticks in my hands, used them as a percussion instrument, and thought about making a series of nicks on them to count off paces when distance was important.

Anyone else ever try Sticklets for hand swelling?

Rain Man
09-13-2004, 17:07
Anyone else ever try Sticklets for hand swelling?

Nope, but I have used my sternum strap for that same purpose... to reduce hand swelling and tingling. Keeps the shoulder straps from cutting into my upper arms enough to cut off the blood flow.

Sounds like you're onto something, though. Now... market it like Leki did poles!!!
:sun
Rain Man

orangebug
09-13-2004, 19:58
This is really interesting.

I can't quite understand why you would have venous or lymph blockage from a reasonably fitted pack. Keeping hands at the level of the sternum strap suggests that lymphedema is the physiology here. Pumping the sticklets suggests either lymph or venous problems, i.e. not really helpful in differential diagnosis but would lead me to suspect lymphedema.

I've not noticed this myself, although my wedding ring only recently left my hand and was always difficult to remove. I normally use Leki's.

I hope others will follow this thread and report their experiences with it.

Bill....

Nightwalker
09-13-2004, 22:25
I've not noticed this myself, although my wedding ring only recently left my hand and was always difficult to remove. I normally use Leki's.

Bill....
I don't wear a ring, but my hands puff up a bit when I don't use poles. I think that it's hand height in relation to the heart. Just my opinion...

eyahiker
09-14-2004, 03:40
For those who don't know what lymphedma is, here's a link http://www.lymphnet.org/whatis.html

Flyfisher, I know exactly what your're experiencing, - but don't be alarmed by orangebug's post just yet.

Swelling in your hands is normal. When you swing your arms, the blood rushes down into your fingers. It isn't harmful, but it could be uncomfortable, especially if you wear rings. It's a good idea to take off your ringsm, if any.

If the swelling bothers you, try squeezing your hands into fists from time to time while you walk. This helps push blood back from the fingers. Squeezing something, like a rubber ball is beneficial for those who are 'walkers'. I lift mine up over my head and wave them around when my hands start to swell.

When you don't use poles, your arms tend so swing lower for balance, and you're not squeezing anything (poles), along with the pressure from your pack affecting your circulation. Poles are just all around great to use, in my opinion.

flyfisher
09-14-2004, 08:38
This is really interesting.

I can't quite understand why you would have venous or lymph blockage from a reasonably fitted pack. Keeping hands at the level of the sternum strap suggests that lymphedema is the physiology here. Pumping the sticklets suggests either lymph or venous problems, i.e. not really helpful in differential diagnosis but would lead me to suspect lymphedema.

Bill....

No blockage... I am not even wearing a pack, just out for an hour's stroll is enough to cause some swelling.

I believe this is similar to the mild swelling that people who need to stand for hours, but can not walk around have in their feet. (the cashier syndrome)

Rick (MD)

flyfisher
09-14-2004, 08:41
For those who don't know what lymphedma is, here's a link http://www.lymphnet.org/whatis.html

Flyfisher, I know exactly what your're experiencing, - but don't be alarmed by orangebug's post just yet.

Swelling in your hands is normal. When you swing your arms, the blood rushes down into your fingers. It isn't harmful, but it could be uncomfortable, especially if you wear rings. It's a good idea to take off your ringsm, if any.

If the swelling bothers you, try squeezing your hands into fists from time to time while you walk. This helps push blood back from the fingers. Squeezing something, like a rubber ball is beneficial for those who are 'walkers'. I lift mine up over my head and wave them around when my hands start to swell.

When you don't use poles, your arms tend so swing lower for balance, and you're not squeezing anything (poles), along with the pressure from your pack affecting your circulation. Poles are just all around great to use, in my opinion.

Not alarmed...

I think that part of it is the hands being lower, but part is not using my hand's muscles. What I found yesterday was that just working with the sticklets in my hands tended to reduce/eliminate the swelling, even though my hands were still low.

For the poster who mentioned a "stress ball" - yep, that would work the same way. Advantages of the two 10 inch sticks is
- free
- they make better percussion sounds

eyahiker
09-14-2004, 08:51
Yeah, the percussions sounds are defineatly cooler.........:D

And different with each step!

Youngblood
09-14-2004, 10:07
I've had the same experience with swelling fingers. They don't when I use poles, hold my sternum straps with my thumbs or exercise my hands alternately making a fist or whatever. If I just hike with my arms idle at my sides then my fingers swell. I think this is the case for most everyone and probably has to do with your body circulating fluids were they are most needed.

Youngblood

Texas Dreamer
09-14-2004, 13:26
I have battled this problem for years. When walking in the neighborhood (hiking poles look a little dorky in this situation) I try to wear compression gloves. I get these at fabric and craft stores--they are sold as an aid to needleworkers, knitters, etc with arthritis. I find less problems with swelling if I have been getting plenty of water and laying off salt.