PDA

View Full Version : rehydrating!!

PUNKINPUSS11
01-13-2010, 22:47
i was looking to buy some dehydrated foods online. But certain foods u have to let rehydrate for like 40 minutes. how can u tell the rehdrating times???

Manwich
01-13-2010, 22:53
Most prepackaged dehydrated foods list the time, but usually take 5-10 minutes.

Pedaling Fool
01-14-2010, 09:15
i was looking to buy some dehydrated foods online. But certain foods u have to let rehydrate for like 40 minutes. how can u tell the rehdrating times???
What foods take 40 minutes to rehydrate? I don't buy, but I do dehydrate my own foods and never had a problem with them rehydrating.

I simply throw it in my water that I'm boiling for rice/pasta and everything is hydrated well before the rice is cooked.

Some typical dehydrated foods I cook with rice:
Jerky (chicken/beef)
Tomatoes
Broccoli
Onions
Carrots
Celery
Spinach
Potatoes

I can't see these dehydrated foods (if bought in a store) taking 40 minutes

Stir Fry
01-14-2010, 10:09
.... I have put rice, beans, other hard to hydrate food, in a ziplock bag with water around lunch time. When I camped at night all that was needed was to heat with only short cook time. Mac and chese is done as soon as heated. Rice short cook time. Dryed beans always seem to need the longest cook time. I'm sure anything that has been soaking for several hr. will be done quick.

Connie
01-18-2010, 21:52
I gave up entirely on peas. If I want that, I take powdered pea soup.

I have been purchasing freeze-dried beans, flaked beans and freeze-dried carrots because if only dried, and not pre-cooked and dried, these take the longest to rehydrate.

I will try the cold-soak method.

Doctari
01-19-2010, 08:22
The only dry food I have ever had take more then 15 minutes was the one time I took Lentils. I ended up eating them 30% crunchy after cooking for nearly an hour.
But like the others above; freeze dried, home dried, etc foods have never taken me longer than 15 minutes once the water gets to boiling, so 20 minutes, TOPS.