PDA

View Full Version : busting out the jams

achangeincourse
01-13-2010, 22:59
just curious if other hikers hike listen to music on trail i do sometimes i find it helps me to push forward.

Dogwood
01-13-2010, 23:06
Of course, Lord I Was A Ramblin Man!

Spokes
01-13-2010, 23:17
Yes. This has all the makings of a "What's on your mp3 Player" thread.

Please no!!!

gm1275a
01-13-2010, 23:25
I haven't used one before, but I'm going to bring my ipod for the through... ill consider it my novelty item.

DAJA
01-13-2010, 23:35
When the mood strikes, I often enjoy Bela Fleck, solo, with Edgar, Flecktones, take your pick.. Damn fine walking music.. When I need to make some miles, the fella's in Younder Mountain String Band seem to push me along.. In the rain, a little Rusted Root fills the bill... When my spirits are down, or the group dynamic is off, I turn to Phish for a little humour and simple smiles... Man I could go on all day, so much good music and so many places to enjoy it!

Chillfactor
01-13-2010, 23:41
I got an iPod Nano yesterday. It's all new to me-spent the day figuring it out. I'm hoping a little toonage will help me pick up the pace after the second wind disappears.

But how do you recharge the darn thing on the trail? From what I understand, you've gotta use the computer, cigarette lighter adapter, or other add-ons. Tech support suggested I use the computers at a motel. I don't think that's a reliable source! You suppose the person at the front desk would allow it?

Wrangler88
01-13-2010, 23:45
I listen to my iPhone on dayhikes or bike rides. It makes the time and miles go by so much quicker. Just get on the John Prine pandora station and let it take control.

I didn't listen to music when I hiked the 100 mile wilderness this summer though. I was afraid to run my battery down too much. I probably wouldn't listen to it on a thruhike either unless I was headed into town and knew I could recharge the battery pretty soon.

gravy4601
01-13-2010, 23:45
i'll be jamin and playin the air gutar while hiking :D

Jim Adams
01-14-2010, 00:06
Drop Kick Murphy's, Flogging Molly...good for a quick pace. Steep long climb...try some metal...fires up your attitude enough to shred the hill.
Just my preferences...

geek

DAJA
01-14-2010, 00:13
I got an iPod Nano yesterday. It's all new to me-spent the day figuring it out. I'm hoping a little toonage will help me pick up the pace after the second wind disappears.

But how do you recharge the darn thing on the trail? From what I understand, you've gotta use the computer, cigarette lighter adapter, or other add-ons. Tech support suggested I use the computers at a motel. I don't think that's a reliable source! You suppose the person at the front desk would allow it?

Apple sells a plug adapter that uses a USB cable, light and packable.. For shorter trips I use a role up solar blanket to charge phone and camera.. But thats more because I love playing with renewable energy gagets... It's just a cheap thing I picked up at Canadian Tire (aka: crappy tire), but works very well even under the weak eastern Canadian sun, or rather fog..

prain4u
01-14-2010, 03:04
I carry a small, AM/FM radio--with ear buds. I picked it up years ago. (Appears to be from the "Sears & Roebuck Company"--LXI Series. It is 3.75 inches X 2.25 inches x 0.5 inches). It uses two AAA batteries that seem to last forever.

Most recently, I used it on a ten day hike this past summer. I never had to replace the batteries during those 10 days and the radio played for a lot of hours. Some nights, I fell asleep with it still on and it played all night. (The "static" noise from the radio helps drown out overly loud loons or other loud woodland noises when one is trying to sleep!).

For me, this radio has two advantages over SOME MP3 players

--I can listen to news and weather with it. For me, knowing the weather forecast is important--especially when hiking alone. The draw backs? I might not have radio reception in some locations. I also don't get to chose what music is being played.

harryfred
01-14-2010, 03:44
Kids gave me a MP3 player only used it once walking on a long hike. I like it some times on afternoon hikes. has a FM receiver. I am amazed at the reception I have been getting in PA and MD. That was really nice hiking in early Dec. spending so much time in the sleeping bag. stuff I put on there. Grateful Dead, Bob Marley, Bob Dylan, Santana, P.O.D. I'd like to get some old country like Don Williams Blue grass would be nice.

JAK
01-14-2010, 04:28
Music is a wonderful thing. I think I would have to
go without it, at least for the first part of a long hike.
I don't carry it hiking or run today. I remember I used to
listen to it on my Sony Walkman, on my runs back in the 1980s.
PeterGabriel. SalsburyHill. ElvisCostelo. Shipbuilding. Life was, simpler.

Today I mostly hike or walk or run to get away and to find, something.
I understand you can find that in music to, though to bring it often requires that you've already founditdoes helps
if you already know what you are looking for.

Maddog
01-14-2010, 05:53
yep...i take my ipod everywhere! :)

JAK
01-14-2010, 06:22
I was really hoping this was a thread about condiments.

fiddlehead
01-14-2010, 06:58
OK totally unrelated to the thread and I apologize to the OP.
But since this seems to be a popular thread, could someone please just let me know simply why the thread about the dead hiker on the FL trail is now nowhere to be found on whiteblaze?
Thanks in advance. fh

Transient Being
01-14-2010, 08:11
Ipod shuffle. headphones and all weighs 1 ounce. Lasts 12 hours on a charge. I went out for 100 miles, took longer than I expected (9 days because of a stopover) and it never went dead. I would use it when I needed some motivation.

Lone Wolf
01-14-2010, 08:17
But since this seems to be a popular thread, could someone please just let me know simply why the thread about the dead hiker on the FL trail is now nowhere to be found on whiteblaze?
Thanks in advance. fh

PM a moderator

Jayboflavin04
01-14-2010, 08:22
Drop Kick Murphy's, Flogging Molly...good for a quick pace. Steep long climb...try some metal...fires up your attitude enough to shred the hill.
Just my preferences...

geek

Rock on Jim....those are a couple of my favorites as well...

bigcranky
01-14-2010, 08:38

Here's one solution. It's from Apple, so it's $%^& expensive, but it's small and light.

http://tinyurl.com/ygfbbdl

You'll need to carry the USB>iPod cable and this power adapter. You could also ask to recharge at hostel and motel computers. Really, if you ask nicely, it shouldn't be a big deal.

I have an older iPod Nano, and the battery lasts almost 24 hours. Since I only listen for an hour or so at night in bed, it lasts a couple of weeks between charges.

veteran
01-14-2010, 09:43
Thanks in advance. fh

Try this Link (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57548)

achangeincourse
01-14-2010, 10:33
When the mood strikes, I often enjoy Bela Fleck, solo, with Edgar, Flecktones, take your pick.. Damn fine walking music.. When I need to make some miles, the fella's in Younder Mountain String Band seem to push me along.. In the rain, a little Rusted Root fills the bill... When my spirits are down, or the group dynamic is off, I turn to Phish for a little humour and simple smiles... Man I could go on all day, so much good music and so many places to enjoy it!

ya rusted roots good stuff

achangeincourse
01-14-2010, 10:41
I listen to my iPhone on dayhikes or bike rides. It makes the time and miles go by so much quicker. Just get on the John Prine pandora station and let it take control.

I didn't listen to music when I hiked the 100 mile wilderness this summer though. I was afraid to run my battery down too much. I probably wouldn't listen to it on a thruhike either unless I was headed into town and knew I could recharge the battery pretty soon.

nice i love john prine

fredmugs
01-14-2010, 11:12
I bring a Creative Zen Vision M and crank it during the tough climbs. All I'll say is what I listen to is hard and fast. It is not battery operated so I have to pick and choose when I use it.

prain4u
01-14-2010, 12:48
But how do you recharge the darn thing on the trail?

I sometimes get called up to assist with large scale emergency response situations in the U.S. (Examples: 8 weeks in New Orleans immediately following Hurricane Katrina) In such disaster situations, I never know when I will be able to access electrical power to charge a cell phone or similar device. I also can't afford to have a phone go completely dead in such a scenario.

This company offers many charging solutions:
http://www.igo.com/Chargers/icat/chargers

The product I tend to use is this one:
http://www.igo.com/Accessories/powerXtender-Charger/invt/ps002640004

It is not so much a traditional charger as it is an additional power source that uses two AA batteries to temporarily power (or slowly charge) your electronic device. (You buy the generic charger and also the appropriate charger "tip" to fit your particular electronic device). It can be used to power your cellphone or MP3 player until you reach a more traditional power source. I always keep one of these packed in my disaster response bag. I also take it hiking if I am taking my cell phone on the hike with me.

ShelterLeopard
01-14-2010, 13:02
I'm not bringing one on my thru, but I'll have it at home, so if for any reason (Virginia, here's to you) I need it, my mother can mail it down to me.

I brought a hand held solar chargeable radio on my 2 week section this psat summer, and really liked having it. It was kinda weird though, made me feel really disconnected. I was listening to how Obama was on the beaches of Normandy, for the annual WWII memorial tribute thing, and it made me think how weird it would be to find out we were at war on the trail.

Yahtzee
01-14-2010, 13:03
I have my tunes, but after a while even the best music goes stale after repeated listenings. Which is why radio is so important. Sure, alot of what is on the radio is crap, but it is amazing how when you are hiking you can relate almost any song on the trail to hiking. Example, Bon Jovi, Livin' on a Prayer..."Whoa, we're halfway there, WHOAOH, livin' on a prayer!" is my Pine Grove anthem. A lot of country goes well with the trail, as well. Ol' Dirt Road, comes to mind. Best radio experience was heading up to Rice Field Shelter (new name, I think) and as I hit the clearing before the shelter, Country Road came on the radio. Since that field is essentially the VA/WV border, it was an amazing bit of serendipity. I was in ectasy, heading into the open air, the sun and listening to John Denver sing me into WV.

Also, if you a sports fan, listening to baseball games at night is a great winddown in your tent.

Smoky in TN
01-14-2010, 17:19
No music on the trail for me. I enjoy hearing the wind blow, the water flow,and the birds sing . Just my preference...

Powder River
01-14-2010, 17:59
I carry an ipod and load it with audio books. Most are anywhere from 8 to 25 hours, so each book will last several days. It is a really nice way to keep your mind sharp on a long hike. Also, because it is spoken audio and not music, you can still hear quite a bit of what is going on around you.

The battery runs for 24 hours, so you really only need to charge it once a week or so.

ShelterLeopard
01-14-2010, 18:01
And you can buy an external battery that you can attach to the ipod, and it adds something like twenty hours. And it's light.

sasquatch2014
01-14-2010, 18:16
For those long times if your holed up due to weather or when you need that extra push it's nice to have. Walking Man by JT comes to mind I was trying to make it into a town for a few quick things and didn't want to be pulling into the shelter too long after dark. I played that over and over a few times.

My ipod right now has about 4,000 plus songs on it so if just let it play non stop while hiking and it had a infinite battery how far could I go on the trail before it began repeating?

sbhikes
01-14-2010, 21:30
I listened to the music stuck in my head. Practiced my instrument in my head, too.

ShelterLeopard
01-15-2010, 00:13
That's what I do sbhikes- though I'll admit, hiking for a whole week with one song stuck in my head, but with some of the words missing is SO annoying.

sasquatch2014
01-15-2010, 08:41
That's what I do sbhikes- though I'll admit, hiking for a whole week with one song stuck in my head, but with some of the words missing is SO annoying.

This past summer a bunch of hikers were hanging out at the Inn at Long Trail and few of them were jamming out some tunes. It was great. They played this one song and it had a catchy chorus. I had never heard the song before but I recalled most of the chorus and found it stuck in my head for the next week until I was able to find the song online and hear the whole thing again. The song was Wagon Wheel by Old Crow Medicine Show.

Here are a few shot of the jam session.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/3/7/5/0/dscf2637_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=35725&c=member&imageuser=13750)http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/3/7/5/0/dscf2633_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=35722&c=member&imageuser=13750)

Yahtzee
01-15-2010, 11:01
Sasquatch, that's a great tune! Bob Dylan wrote the chorus a long time ago. It was just a song fragment on some bootlegs until OCMS took it and built a song around it. A great hiking song, indeed.

bigcranky
01-15-2010, 12:17
Yeah, love that song.

Pony
01-15-2010, 21:25
I had Bohemian Raphsody stuck in my head for most of the state of Georgia. It finally went away, and then a few weeks later, I got stuck in a thunder storm. Immediately I began singing "thunder bolt and lightning, very very frightning...."
And so it was back in my head for like three more days. I almost always take my ipod with me now.

Bidwell
01-15-2010, 21:32
bluegrass!

Penn-J
01-15-2010, 22:11
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ChT3AJAwGo

Blissful
01-15-2010, 22:20
I use my cheapo MP3 at night. Runs on one AAA

The birds do fine during the day. Though I sure missed them when I got to NE>

DAJA
01-15-2010, 22:23
You should see the gents from OCMS sing that tune while playing the beat on whatever random items available. They play a mean slim Jim and tuna can. Those fellas are pure magic. Put them in a room with Donna Jean, Kang and Billy from SCI and the cornmeal gang, and you have an all night hoedown!

58starter
01-15-2010, 22:57
I listen to James Taylor on a cheap mp3 uses 1 aaa last for days.

jrwiesz
01-16-2010, 07:15
I like Thimbleberry jam, then Blackberry jam, and Red raspberry jam.:sun

Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels liked to kick out the jams.:eek:

I have chronic tinnitus; what was the question, I can't hear you.:D

JAK
01-16-2010, 10:37
Partridgeberry. Blueberrie. Cloudberry.

Do marmalades count?

GeneralLee10
01-16-2010, 10:40
Partridgeberry. Blueberrie. Cloudberry.

Do marmalades count?

Can't you just Jam out man come on:):D

Maddog
01-16-2010, 11:01
You should see the gents from OCMS sing that tune while playing the beat on whatever random items available. They play a mean slim Jim and tuna can. Those fellas are pure magic. Put them in a room with Donna Jean, Kang and Billy from SCI and the cornmeal gang, and you have an all night hoedown!

mmmm...hoedown!

achangeincourse
01-16-2010, 21:31
i like listening to eddie vedder while hiking (the into the wild soundtrack good stuff).