PDA

View Full Version : Only one jacket

Scruffy
01-13-2010, 23:09
If you where to carry only one jacket the entire trail which would it be?

I ask this because I am about to shell out the most money I ever paid for a jacket and I want to get it right the first time. I dont have the money or time to try different fabrics.

My orginally thought was to just get and extra large precip jacket and just layer for the warmth, But after hearing about sweat ing issues I am not sure if this is smart.

Thanks for the help. I have looked at so many different jacket I am just all confuzziled:confused:

Maybe less of a selection is a better think

Spokes
01-13-2010, 23:15
Can't do it, well I guess you could but you'll be miserable.

You'll need a rain jacket ( I carried a Marmot Precip) and a down or synthetic jacket. I picked up a Montbell at Neels Gap and carried it the entire way. Very happy with it.

Good luck.

take-a-knee
01-13-2010, 23:17
A Precip will work great for an outer shell in camp, it breathes plenty well enough for that. Here's what I would buy:

Marmot Precip jacket and side-zip pants

Golite Cirrus down vest

JRB down sleeves

Marmot Ion windshirt

You can wear what you need when you need it, and when it warms up you can mail the windshirt and the sleeves home. You can use the sleeves as foot covers, a pillow, a draft stopper around the neck of your sleeping bag.

wcgornto
01-13-2010, 23:27
Marmot Driclime

Wags
01-13-2010, 23:33
i'd also go with the precip. it's hard to beat for the $$$. you can find fairly cheap down layers for underneath it.

Pacific Tortuga
01-13-2010, 23:45
Place your arms through the pit zips when you warm up, that worked for me with plenty of air flow.

jombo22
01-13-2010, 23:56
What is your budget and what do you have right now?

When are you leaving?

These are important considerations....

You could get a Driclime windshirt and DriDucks suit (could only bring the jacket if you want to save 6 ounces) for the same cost as a precip jacket. That would get you more warmth and less weight for the same price.

DAJA
01-13-2010, 23:57
Place your arms through the pit zips when you warm up, that worked for me with plenty of air flow.

I either tuck the sleeves into the pockets or tie them together behind my back... This method works very well.. But generally I only wear rain protection when either very cold or when at rest... Otherwise I hike on in either a marino wool T or lite weight long sleeve..

Bati
01-14-2010, 00:07
A good gore-tex jacket is all you need. It helps with the wind, rain, snow and cold.
Best worn over a turtleneck (with short neck zipper) expedition-weight polypro or capilene in cold weather. You can purchase this stuff cheaply at an army surplus store. Be sure to add in an expedition- weight balaclava while you're there.
If you're starting when bad storms are likely, be sure that the jacket doesn't have plastic toggles or loose strings on the hood that will cut your face in the wind. The hood needs to be permanently attached and give good coverage of your face and neck, as well as being long enough to cover your back. Good closures at the wrists are essential, as is a drawstring at the waist or hips to hold in the heat and keep the wind out.
Pit zips help a lot in the summer, but you're not likely to have a medical emergency if you don't have them.
Do make sure the jacket is good quality. I was wearing this setup (with similar goretex pants and polypro bottoms, gloves and some plastic bag liners for my feet) in a very bad storm in Georgia, and my partner's cheap rain/wind pants were ripped to shreds on the 2.5 hike (OK- it was more of a death march than a hike). Bottom line is: one good jacket is fine in the cold if you have a good layer underneath.

Scruffy
01-14-2010, 00:18
What is your budget and what do you have right now?

When are you leaving?

These are important considerations....

You could get a Driclime windshirt and DriDucks suit (could only bring the jacket if you want to save 6 ounces) for the same cost as a precip jacket. That would get you more warmth and less weight for the same price.

Max budget for a jacket is $150.00
I am starting March 1 2010
I do have a marmot Ion wind shirt that does great except in heavy rain when I layer with a fleece. I just feel it is a bit delicate for a main jacket

leaftye
01-14-2010, 00:21
If it was one jacket, I'd get the bestest wildest thing that Beyond Fleece can make. It'd have lots of vents and a removable hood. Unfortunately that would go far beyond your $150 budget. I think they make some stuff with shells now, but I'd probably forgo that since I'd still want a poncho.

Jim Adams
01-14-2010, 00:30
Precip and a down vest or down jacket...should cover everything that you run into.

geek

Zac
01-14-2010, 00:58
Keep an eye on SAC for the http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Stoic-Luft-Down-Sweater-Mens/SIC0017M.html

for a down jacket

Bronk
01-14-2010, 01:39
I used a silicone impregnated nylon rain jacket with a hood as my outermost layer, had two layers of fleece (vest and long sleeve) and a tshirt underneath. The day I started the trail it was ten degrees or something ridiculous like that. There were snow and ice storms as I went through the smokies. I carried a $10 Walmart sleeping bag. I was warm.

I had a baclava to begin with...I think I wore it one day for a couple of hours before getting rid of it...it was overkill...a wool hat and gloves will do you just fine.

verber
01-14-2010, 03:32
Max budget for a jacket is $150.00
I am starting March 1 2010
I do have a marmot Ion wind shirt

Base + windshirt should do you well you are hiking hard in cooler to coldish conditions.

I would add dri ducks. Can't beat the $15 price and performance is way better than precip. They are to fragile bushwacking... but fine for the AT. Bring some duct tape to repair tears. Plenty of people have 2600+ miles on one set.

I would suggest also picking up a high loft vest or jacket. Montbell Inner Down jacket if you are "normal", one of their vests if you tend to run hot (that's what I typically use), or the amazingly warm (on close out) NB Fugu jacket (http://www.recreationoutlet.com/p-435-new-balance-fugu-down-jacket.aspx). Use to warm up when you stop, in the evening around camp, and in your sleeping bag on extra cold nights.

More of thoughts on my recommended clothing (http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/clothing.html)page.

--Mark

JAK
01-14-2010, 06:45
Anything works better if you wear wool underneath.

bigcranky
01-14-2010, 09:11
I don't think you can do it all with just one jacket. Take your own experience with the Ion wind shirt -- it's great for some conditions, but lousy for others.

I take four layers: base layer, wind shirt, insulation layer, rain shell layer. These layers are the same for any hike, though the individual pieces vary depending on the time of year and the expected weather conditions (e.g., I take a down jacket as my insulation layer in the winter, but not in the summer.)

The Precip jacket is fine. You can usually find one on sale for $75 or so, in fact I would avoid buying it at full price and look for a sale. The Precip is a good rain shell, and while it's not as breathable as Goretex or the other high-end w/b fabrics, there's not as much difference as the marketers would like you to believe. (A Porsche would provide more performance than my Civic, but they will both get me the 2 miles to work every day. And the Civic was a little cheaper, eh?)

garlic08
01-14-2010, 09:23
I would take your $150 jacket budget and buy several cheaper layers as suggested several times above. Nothing wrong with Frogg Toggs or Dri Ducks, or a more durable coated jacket, around $30. I've seen Marmot Driclimes, my best all-around layer, on sale for $70. Add a fleece vest, which Campmor has for $20 and up. A down layer would be real nice, but you'd need a good sale to keep in your budget.

flemdawg1
01-14-2010, 11:16
SD Hurricane jacket $28-52
http://www.spadout.com/p/sierra-designs-hurricane-hp-jacket/

Lands End Snowpak 700 Down jacket $65
http://www.landsend.com/pp/SnowPack700DownJacket~198978_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BLA&CM_MERCH=IDX_00007__0000001030&origin=index

Marmot Driclime Jacket $60-75
http://www.spadout.com/p/marmot-driclime-jacket/

DragonStar
01-14-2010, 11:23
Has Marmot fixed the issue with their Precips, then? Because I read a litany of people who found it to be an extremely porous jacket after a day or two of use, and my brand new Precip leaked like a sieve under a very mild rain test. This was ~ a year ago.

DrRichardCranium
01-14-2010, 11:42
ON a related topic, I recently bought a Packa, which goes over the pack and/or the hiker at the same time. My question is: Do I need another "shell" in addition to the Packa? I will be leaving around March 25th.

jombo22
01-14-2010, 12:03
Base + windshirt should do you well you are hiking hard in cooler to coldish conditions.

I would add dri ducks. Can't beat the $15 price and performance is way better than precip. They are to fragile bushwacking... but fine for the AT. Bring some duct tape to repair tears. Plenty of people have 2600+ miles on one set.

I would suggest also picking up a high loft vest or jacket. Montbell Inner Down jacket if you are "normal", one of their vests if you tend to run hot (that's what I typically use), or the amazingly warm (on close out) NB Fugu jacket (http://www.recreationoutlet.com/p-435-new-balance-fugu-down-jacket.aspx). Use to warm up when you stop, in the evening around camp, and in your sleeping bag on extra cold nights.

More of thoughts on my recommended clothing (http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/clothing.html)page.

--Mark

If you haven't already, you should read everything on Verber's website (http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/index.html) It might take a few days, there is a ridiculous amount of info, but I don't think I disagreed with a single thing he wrote. There is a wealth of knowledge there.

Many people are suggesting the precip. That's what I bought when I started backpacking. It's a great jacket. But I just switched to DriDucks because they weigh half as much. My XL precip weighs almost a pound, same for the pants. driducks come in at 6 ounces for jacket / 6 for pants. That's a savings of ~20 ounces total! And when it rains for days and days, you're gonna be wet no matter what you're wearing.

I guess it comes down to what temps you are comfortable hiking at with the Ion on. I have a DriClime and can hike comfortably in temps as low as 10*F wearing it over a t-shirt (with hat and mittens on). I'm not familiar with the Ion but it appears to be unlined - maybe you could compensate by bringing another extra longsleeve shirt to use for insulation?

It looks like really all you need is a rain shell and a lofty jacket for resting/camp.

Some great suggestions from flemdawg - that Lands End jacket looks like a steal.

jombo22
01-14-2010, 12:12
ON a related topic, I recently bought a Packa, which goes over the pack and/or the hiker at the same time. My question is: Do I need another "shell" in addition to the Packa? I will be leaving around March 25th.

Wow that is cool! Like a poncho but with sleeves. Slightly less goofy looking, too. Theoretically that should do the trick, but I'd test it out at home (pray for some rain before you leave) first. You can always buy a "real" jacket from an outfitter along the trail if it doesn't work out.

According to this reviewer (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Rain%20Gear/Jackets%20and%20Pants/The%20Packa/Owner%20Reviews/Owner%20Review%20by%20Marie-Noelle%20Augendre/) you will need to seal the seams yourself. I would make sure this is done before you leave.

DrRichardCranium
01-14-2010, 12:15
That review is a few years old. They now sell the Packa already seam-sealed.

burger
01-14-2010, 12:17
Don't take a Precip. I know they're relatively cheap and super-popular, but they don't breathe worth a damn (and I know because I carried one on the half of the AT I've done). Hiking with a non-breathable jacket that keeps all your sweat in is uncomfortable and not fun.

Get yourself a nice cheap Driducks or Frogg Toggs or O2 Rainshield (http://www.rainshield.com/p_cycling.html) jacket. They breathe far, far better than GoreTex or the Precip and you can spend your leftover $$ on a good insulating layer.

Mags
01-14-2010, 13:05
On a budget?

Driducks/Frogg Toggs and an M-65 Liner. (http://www.google.com/products?q=m-65+liner&oe=utf-8&hl=en&scoring=p) Warm, functional and inexpensive.

(My goto jacket for all day hiking is a Montbell Windshirt..similar to the Marmot DriClime)

Mud__Bone
01-19-2010, 03:14
interesting info, thanks for all the great posts :)

SunnyWalker
02-11-2010, 21:19
The down jacket. then go to Walmart and get a waterproof camping jacket for a cover.

Cakon
02-11-2010, 23:12
Eddie Bauer has their First Ascent line on sale right now. It is good quality and light. I picked up the 800 fill 14oz down sweater at the store 50% off ($85) on line it is only 30% off ($118). The vest is even cheaper and lighter (8oz) if you want to use that under a rain coat. They also have PrimaLoft if you like synthetic. It could be worth checking out.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/EB/Mens-Outerwear/Sale-Mens-Outerwear/index.cat#ppl=%7Btype%3A%22hide%22%7D

Bags4266
02-11-2010, 23:57
Eddie Bauer has their First Ascent line on sale right now. It is good quality and light. I picked up the 800 fill 14oz down sweater at the store 50% off ($85) on line it is only 30% off ($118). The vest is even cheaper and lighter (8oz) if you want to use that under a rain coat. They also have PrimaLoft if you like synthetic. It could be worth checking out.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/EB/Mens-Outerwear/Sale-Mens-Outerwear/index.cat#ppl=%7Btype%3A%22hide%22%7D

I like that vest at 8 oz coupled w/ a fleece would be a nice setup. Very cheap too.

Snowleopard
02-12-2010, 18:16

In the White Mountains above tree line, you need something that's pretty windproof; conventional ponchos don't work there when the wind is up. It's a little hard to tell for sure from the pictures, so you're the best judge. The question to ask yourself is how will it work in 70mph wind with heavy rain at 34 degrees.

It should work OK elsewhere. I'd choose something else if it was cold, goretex or driducks.

300winmag
02-12-2010, 21:41
The REI Sushkan eVent parka is pretty good except for the balky front zipper. Pricey at $300.

I have a Cabela's Rainy River PacLite GTX parka and at 15 oz for a Large, Tall size it's been good for the past 3 summers. Inexpensive too, at $99. (for GTX Pac Lite) and very good quality and garantee.

BUT, to save weight try a sil nylon Packa that covers you and your pack at the same time. Has great pit zips, and made by a one-man "cottage industry".

Eric

Tinker
02-12-2010, 22:06
For hiking I prefer to not use a waterproof layer outside in the rain unless it gets below 50 degrees or so. Wool or synthetic underwear is often enough. When it gets windy with the rain I'll put my Ion windshirt over the base layer. If I get further chilled I might pull out a fleece garment (light jacket or heavier vest, which is what I own. A lot of folks are proponents of ultralight shelled garments, but I think fleece dries faster once you get that occasional sunny spell because the wind blows through it, rather than being shunted off by a shell. With the Ion shirt I can choose to have a shell or not.
When it gets colder and the liquid turns to frozen precipitation I use a waterproof layer and just bathe in my own sweat, pit zips and front zip open.
So - my option would be
1) Ion shirt (or other unlined (not Driclime) shirt) as a quick drying wind barrier
2) Fleece (because it dries fast)
3) Waterproof shell (whatever you like or can afford - lots of ventilation options a plus).
4) Down garments for warm-up in camp while under a roof of some sort (a tarp works for me with my hammock).

Mongoose2
02-12-2010, 22:25
Scruffy; if your still looking for a jacket, Landsend.com has an amazing deal on their down jackets. $49.00!! and the quality of Lands End is very high. I believe they only have a few colors and sizes left.

Tinker
02-12-2010, 22:41
I have a Shuksan: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56802&highlight=shuksan

Not that much better than a good urethane coated "breathable" jacket (Precip style) or Gore Packlite (I used one for one trip and returned it to REI, not being that much better than Precip).
That "waterproof/breathable" myth persists..............
I have used a poncho in windy, rainy conditions, and you CAN keep dry if you use a belt around it or tuck the back corners of the poncho up under the front of your pack's cover. Most of the dampness you feel then will be coming from you. It's surprising how much coverage a poncho provides. Hey, I've slept under one (mostly as, what I can refer to retrospectively as a "UL stunt"). I've moved on now, and I've found out that I'm actually strong enough to carry an extra ounce or so. :p

River Runner
02-12-2010, 23:31
I don't believe I would consider DriDucks durable enough for a thru hike. After one day of hiking in the rain, my jacket had two quarter inch holes in it, and the pants were trashed - ripped in the seat/legs.

Deadeye
02-12-2010, 23:34
I've seen a lot of votes for the Precip, and at least one against. Count me in the "against" camp. Makes a nice wind breaker, but useless as rain gear, IMHO. Try a nice light windshirt and an umbrella, or one of the other suggestions mentioned.

Scruffy
02-13-2010, 10:11
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I ended up with 2 jackets and a vest. TNF Venture rain jacket, Marmot Ion wind shirt, WM Flight down vest.

The rain jacket I use in the rain, the wind shirt seems to be my most multifunction garment, the down vest is part of my sleeping system since I will be starting with a WM Summerlite bag. I have use the summerlite and down vest and capilene 2 down to 15 degrees and slept very comfortable.

Well 16 more days to go till I start my thru.

Till next time...

yappy
02-13-2010, 10:30
I used precip also and LUV my mnt hrdwre wind break. I wear that every day when I am out. it has turned out to b one of my fav pieces of gear. I also took a mnt bell vest. Love it ! look for sales baby..:)

Bags4266
02-13-2010, 11:59
Scruffy I like your picks. I don't see the purpose in a down jacket. You never would hike in it, it would be soaked. When at camp as long as the core is warm your good. And it save's you a half pound from vest to jacket (on avg)

Scruffy
02-16-2010, 00:13
Scruffy I like your picks. I don't see the purpose in a down jacket. You never would hike in it, it would be soaked. When at camp as long as the core is warm your good. And it save's you a half pound from vest to jacket (on avg)

The reason for the down vest is to sleep in on cold nights. My bag a Western Mountaineering Summerlite is rated to 32 degrees. I have used the Summerlite and down vest combination before and took the bag down to about 15 degrees, but I also had on a fleece pullover and capilene top and bottoms.

Plus the jacket makes the softest pillow:)

Seeing the recent weather I am starting to second guess my sleeping bag choice :eek: I think now I should have gone with the Alpinlite. Ohh well I think I will at least be able to get to Mountain Crossing with the Summerlite and upgrade there if need be.

daddytwosticks
02-16-2010, 08:42
Scruffy...was at Mtn Xings about two weeks ago. Looks like they had a few Alpinlites still in stock. I have one and they are just super bags. Good luck. :)