PDA

View Full Version : Another Gear List-Thoughts?

Lillianp
01-14-2010, 00:33
Hey all, I'm starting my thru on the 22nd of February. I'd appreciate thoughts on my gear list. Thanks!

Gear List

Food Bag

First Aid
10-15 Bandaids
Small container of ibuprofen
2 sheets of moleskin
knife (w/scissors, nailfile & tweezers)
Purell
Needle
dental floss
toothbrush (TBA)
toothpaste (TBA)
lighter (TBA)
matches (TBA)
bandanna
½ comb (TBA)

1/3 roll Toilet paper

Cooking
Alcohol stove
Stand
Cap
Pot
pan/lid
potholder
windscreen
Cup

Misc
Steripen w/2 sets of batteries
Rope for hanging food bag

Navigation
Map
Pages of guidebook
Compass
Flashlight w/2 sets of batteries

Extras
Camera(TBA)
Phone (TBA)
(book?)
Looseleaf paper
½ sized pencil

Clothing
On body:
Sports bra
non cotton underwear
Patagonia performance baselayer
Champion LS shirt
Rain jacket
EMS quickdry or waterproof zip off pants
Polartech ear guard thingy
Liners and hiking socks

In Pack
2 pairs liners & hiking socks
Northface hooded mid-layer
EMS Techwick
Montbell down jacket
Hat
Balaclava (TBA)
Crocs (TBA)
Glittens (TBA)
REI base layer (bottoms)
Sport hill pants

Shelter
Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo
6 stakes
Kelty 0F bag followed by REI Halo 25F bag

wudhipy
01-14-2010, 00:51
Don't forget your spork...:rolleyes:

Feral Bill
01-14-2010, 00:56
Glittens???

Lillianp
01-14-2010, 01:00
Glove mitten combination-I like mittens, but I also like having my hands warm while doing dinner.

And thanks for reminding me about the spork. I completely forgot.

BrianLe
01-14-2010, 03:18
What's your plan for when your shoes or boots get wet ... just deal?

Since you're not listing weights maybe it doesn't matter, but I didn't see a backpack listed there. Might consider a pack liner too (yard waste bag or something like that).

What are you carrying water in?

No sleeping pad at all? In February??
For a pillow I guess you sleep on some clothes, assuming you're not wearing them all on colder nights.

Sunglasses, sunscreen? Yes, it's winter, but that means no leaves on the trees.

I presume by "rope" for hanging food that you don't literally mean thick rope ...

Don't forget earplugs.

If you're not freezer bag cooking, something to clean out your pot with?

I recommend a small piece of some sort of super-absorbant towels --- MSR makes one type, or the TV "shamwow" perhaps (? dunno). Something to dry off tent (inside as well as out) primarily, but generally useful.

amac
01-14-2010, 03:19
what about...
sleeping pad?
hat?
whistle?
footwear (winter and 3-season)?
hydration (bottles or bladder, filter or tablets)?
sleep clothes?

Crocs. Some would say not needed. Although lightweight, they are bulky.

Looks like you did a good job of not over packing.

Best of luck.

amac
01-14-2010, 04:08
also, what about trekking poles?

amac
01-14-2010, 04:10
i just read this thread, excellent insight from someone who has walked the walk: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57557

JAK
01-14-2010, 04:37
What about wool? I didn't see any wool.
Bring a ball and make some needles and knit something.
Wool is nice the way it collects leaves and dirt and stuff.

Spokes
01-14-2010, 05:32
What about wool? I didn't see any wool.
Bring a ball and make some needles and knit something.
Wool is nice the way it collects leaves and dirt and stuff.

Dude, that's Rasta.

JAK
01-14-2010, 05:37
I and I brother my man
I and I

Lillianp
01-14-2010, 11:08
At one point I seriously did consider bringing wool-to knit with in the evenings. But so on.

Yes, I am intending to bring a pack, a sleeping pad and waterbottles. But I'm an airhead sometimes and completely forgot to put them on the list.

I have a pair of asolos and then we shall see about footwear (When they're done, I'll be switching footwear, probably to something more lightweight).

Blissful
01-14-2010, 20:15
Headlamp - batteries you can get in town if needed.
Aquamira works fine for water = all these batteries are gonna weigh tons.
One pot is enough. leave pan and lid at home
use a bandana as a potholder or just your mitten
first aid - duct tape works good. leave moleskin at home. too many bandaids, imo. Some baby wipes?
Only need one long sleeve shirt for actual hiking. Don't need sporthill pants if you have convertible pants and a midweight baselayer for camp. If cold when hiking might consider silk baselayer for legs. I also had rain pants for the first part of the hike and they can keep you warmer in wind in camp.

Connie
01-14-2010, 20:57
There are gaiters nice to have in snow: I like Montbell Stretch Gaiter (http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=2329169).

Lightweight stretch gaiters are nice to keep dirt and debris out of shoes, later: I like dirtygirlgaiters (http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/empireofdirt.html) for a lightweight stretch gaiter.

Lillianp
01-14-2010, 21:23
Blissful-I'm wary of chemicals to deal with water treatment, as I couldn't handle the iodine I used for 5 days-made me sick. I know Aqua Mira is totally different, but the whole experience had me turning in a different direction. The pan and the lid are the same thing and it's easier to keep everything together if I bring it. I can also use it as a plate if I want or I can send it home around Neel's Gap. I think I should take out the moleskin. If I remember correctly, it never works anyways. Hm.. I have duct tape on my hiking pole, so that'll be good. Baby wipes ought to be added, yes.
My convertible pants are water proof or very nearly so (I have sat on a wet tent platform for several minutes and stayed dry). I'll keep in mind the one layer while hiking and may very well send one of them home at Neel's Gap.
I'm still considering gaiters, Connie, so thanks for the link! :)

Thanks for all your awesome opinions-if I don't change before the hike, I'm sure they'll help while I'm trying to figure out how to make my pack lighter at Neel's Gap!!

sbhikes
01-14-2010, 21:43
Isn't a pot enough? If the pan is the lid, try replacing it with something lighter made from a cookie sheet from the supermarket.

Hat and balaclava? Or is the hat for sun? I'd take the balaclava and make sure it can work as a hat.

Mid layer and down jacket? Seems like too much to me. But I didn't do the AT so I don't know for sure. I would think you really only need stuff to stay warm hiking and stuff to stay warm when asleep, but then I'm not the type to do much camping/sitting around. Good to have three pairs of socks, one specifically for sleeping.

I found that mechanical pencils were better than those that need sharpening. The point stays sharper and it's easier to write lots if you like writing. Get a refillable one and stuff as many leads in it as you can. I liked small wirebound notepads, too.

I don't know what your hair is like, but mine is long so I preferred a brush. I pulled the rubber bristle part out of a plastic brush and carried that.

mountain squid
01-14-2010, 21:48
I'll keep in mind the one layer while hiking and may very well send one of them home at Neel's Gap. Bear in mind that Neels Gap is only 4 days into the trip and you may have mild or even nice weather which might mislead you into thinking you don't need something. The next month, however (including through the Smokies), might be the worst weather imagineable. So, be very mindful of what layers you might send home.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Connie
01-15-2010, 22:51
I have good results with Moleskin, when I had to use it.

It is meant to be used around the blister, not on it.

That is why I carry tiny folding scissors to cut the Moleskin for the actual blister or "hot spot". I make a hole in the center the size and shape of the blister or "hot spot" and make the outer shape right to conform to my foot and not rub or catch on my socks. No sharp corners.

I have never understood using Duct Tape for blisters, because duct tape invariably rips off the skin and fails to protect the open skin underneath, that needs to "breathe" to heal.

I think duct tape is why I see so many hikers off-their-feet or quit.

Well, that and have socks without good shape built-in the heel section of the socks.

Because I have well-made socks and I have "good-fit" boots, narrow in the heel, metatarsal arch in the right location and room for toes, I haven't had any blisters in many years, well, in decades.

I carry the Moleskin and tiny folding scissors to help someone else. Last time, I helped a diabetic. That is someone who cannot afford to have injuries to their feet.

Mountain Wildman
01-15-2010, 23:09
I read somewhere that you cut the hole in the moleskin and put it around the blister.
After popping the blister with a pin and draining it. Then you put on neosporin or antibiotic stuff than cover it with duct tape.

letmebefreee
01-16-2010, 11:44
Isn't a pot enough? If the pan is the lid, try replacing it with something lighter made from a cookie sheet from the supermarket.

i dont know about your guys pan lids.... but mine weighs like 4 oz. :D i know all these ounces add up but come on now...

flemdawg1
01-16-2010, 12:16
4 oz for the pot and lid, or just the pot?

My 3-cup aluminum pot and lid I got from The thrift store weighs only 4 oz, and that includes a chunky plastic knob on the lid that I haven't gotten around to replacing.

Lillianp
01-18-2010, 14:12
My lid doesn't weigh much at all-something I'm willing to keep as I like the idea of having my stove and all my cooking stuff (besides the alcohol) contained in one spot rather than managing to spread itself throughout my food bag (which would happen with me, somehow someway). But perhaps I'll change my mind at Neel's Gap! I'll consider the advice over ducttape and moleskin. My boots currently haven't given me many blisters yet. One or two over a week and before that none. Just have to be more vigilant than I was.

Blissful
01-18-2010, 14:32
Neel Gap will make you get rid of lots of stuff that you hauled up the Approach, over Sassafras and Blood Mtn. :)