PDA

View Full Version : How Low ?

napster
01-14-2010, 03:08
How low have you gone Temp wise in your hammock and what kind of underquilt and overquilt or bag or/and pad did you use?What was the lowest temp you were comfy in and were you deck out in all your clothing to keep comfy?

napster
01-14-2010, 03:11
Oh and yes I know "i have gone to the ground " might be some anwsers. Yes I have gone that low too.

sasquatch2014
01-14-2010, 08:21
When I went to Bed it was 9* and still dropping. I don't use under-quilts as I have a Clark North American. I did stuff all the pockets the line the bottom of the hammock and had a few layers on when I climbed into the bag. I was using a zero degree bag and had a Cabelas inflatable pad under me it is the same as a Thermarest but cheaper. Only time it was really bad was when I got up to pee in the middle of the night. Let all my warm air out. Also from time to time I would get a cold spot on the sides if I slept on my side where I pushed up against the side of the hammock.

Doctari
01-14-2010, 10:33
I often get down to the low 20s, wearing: a fleece vest & tee & shorts. My Underquilt is a JRB No Sniveler. I do have a hammock sock over everything. My coldest is 6, the first time with just a truckers windshield cover & a 3/4 length CCF Pad under me. The 2nd time: No Sniv, with a KAQ Patomic between it & the hammock (I actually was too warm).

Tues night (10 degrees) & last night (22 degrees) I had the same set up as #2 above, & was very warm, last night I had to get out & cool off. I think I should have tested with just the No Sniv, , , Oh well.

HikerRanky
01-14-2010, 10:33
7 degrees is the coldest I've been down to in my setup:

Warbonnet Blackbird dbl 1.7
Speer SnugFit UQ
Speer TopBlanket TQ
AHE Bear Burrito Oven Top Cover

Clothes were REI Sahara pants, Smartwool Socks, and a Walmart short sleeved synthetic shirt.

Was very toasty!!!

Randy

chiefduffy
01-14-2010, 10:49
Hung in the 20's with just a pad and spe. With a balaclava, all my clothes on and a good quilt, I had a few cold spots but a good night's sleep.

- Duffy

srestrepo
01-14-2010, 10:57
lowest i got was about 11ish i was in a blackbird db 1.7 with a yeti. i was using a thermarest inflatable noththe prolite4 or anything just a regular one, with a cats meow 20 degree bag with a jrb shenandoah over it. i was wearing shorts and a long sleeve base layer. slept like a rock.

Cannibal
01-14-2010, 11:58
Lowest recorded temp was -17F. However, I'm fairly certain I've been colder just no way to know because my digital thermometer freezes if I don't keep it under the quilts.

Warbonnet Superfly (Winter Tarp)
Warbonnet Blackbird (Hammock)
Warbonnet Winter Yeti (Underquilt)
Jacks R Better Rocky Mtn. Sniveler (Topquilt)
Gossamer Gear ThinLite 1/4" Pad (cut down)
Clothing usually consists of a set of heavy weight base layers (top and bottom), balaclava, watch cap, convertible mittens, and heavy wool sleeping socks.

Since the Yetis are short UQs (torso length), I usually throw my pack under my legs for insulation. I put the pad on top of the pack to fill in any gaps and add a little cushioning. I've been out in sub-zero temps fairly frequently with the same basic set-up; hammock choice changes sometimes, but the insulation and tarp selection stay pretty consistent.

Just Jeff
01-15-2010, 10:31
My two coldest trips were in Yosemite at 15F with 20mph sustained winds (about -10F) windchill and in Colorado at -2F recorded with steady wind coming thru all night...maybe 10mph?

Yosemite (Winnemucca) I had a homemade hammock, Speer PeaPod, Exped Downmat 7, JRB NS top quilt, MacCat Standard, and some clothes. This is the trip that convinced me to make a Hammock Sock to deal with dry powder floating up from under my tarp and settling on my insulation. Here's the full trip report...a lot has changed since then, re: hammock gear available and the shared experience of winter hammockers.
http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesWinnemucca.html

The Colorado trip was 23 Dec 09 and my 10 y/o was with me. I had a Blackbird w/ JRB MWUQ4 underneath and stayed toasty warm all night. I had a 30F sleeping bag with a JRB NS on top of it. My son had the DownHammock (http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearDownHammock2.html), Speer PeaPod, and GoLite Ultra 20 short quilt. We were hanging together under the JRB 11'x10' tarp. Here's the full trip report for that one:
http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesRampartRange.html

Just waiting for more Colorado storms to blow thru...I just moved into my new house this week, and right before this a storm blew thru with -10F temps right here...and I missed it! Waiting...waiting... :D

Just Jeff
01-15-2010, 10:34
Forgot about the HammockForums winter hangs...it's gotten colder than my Winnemucca trip at those (3 of them now) but I always had a protected site so the wind chill wasn't as bad. Great trips with great company, though!
http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesMtRogers.html

There's another one coming up soon...check on HF if you're interested!

And the First Annual Colorado Winter Hang is 27-28 Feb...we'd be happy to have newbies as well! Sleep on the ground if you want...just come check out the hammock kits and have a good time around the fire!