PDA

View Full Version : How do you carry your toothbrush

jombo22
01-14-2010, 13:57
I've always hated using ziplock baggies because everything gets all slimy if you put the toothbrush in before giving it a chance to dry.

slugger
01-14-2010, 13:58
Try putting one of those hard cases over the top of the brush then the zip-lock.

jombo22
01-14-2010, 14:01
Won't everything still get slimy? The problem with the ziplock is that it doesn't let any air in or out, so all the moisture that you put in the bag stays there.

I was thinking about using one of those plastic cases to cover the bristles, and then keeping all of my toiletries in one of those plastic mesh bags that oranges are sold in.

YoungMoose
01-14-2010, 14:03
I just dry it off then throw it in my toiletries bag.

slugger
01-14-2010, 14:07
Won't everything still get slimy? The problem with the ziplock is that it doesn't let any air in or out, so all the moisture that you put in the bag stays there.

I was thinking about using one of those plastic cases to cover the bristles, and then keeping all of my toiletries in one of those plastic mesh bags that oranges are sold in.

The plastic cases are nice but they wont stop all the dirt or mud if you drop said mesh bag in an unfortunate location. Maybe a few pin holes in a plastic bag?

ShelterLeopard
01-14-2010, 14:07
Just suck all the water off of it.

ShelterLeopard
01-14-2010, 14:08
I have one of those toothbrushes that comes in a case and is half sized, you pull it out, stick the end (not the head end) in the case, and voila! A full sized toothbrush. Didn't explain that very well...

ShelterLeopard
01-14-2010, 14:09
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/11093631/Travel_Toothbrush.jpg

schnikel
01-14-2010, 14:14
I have one of those toothbrushes that comes in a case and is half sized, you pull it out, stick the end (not the head end) in the case, and voila! A full sized toothbrush.

Mine is simular to this, but it folds in half so the two halves are actually connected. After use I just flick off the water and dry real quick on a towel or my shirt. Never really found this method to be "slimmy."
Schnikel

slugger
01-14-2010, 14:14

look at all the extra weight!

jombo22
01-14-2010, 14:16
The plastic cases are nice but they wont stop all the dirt or mud if you drop said mesh bag in an unfortunate location. Maybe a few pin holes in a plastic bag?

I'm skeptical about this but I'll give it a shot. Wonder why I never thought to try it before. I guess I figured not enough water would be able to evaporate through the holes. I can picture the sides of the bag still getting slimy and gross. Maybe just wash out the bag with water and soap once a week or so, but still it seems like a less than optimal solution to a problem that everyone who backpacks must have solved for themselves.

I have one of those toothbrushes that comes in a case and is half sized, you pull it out, stick the end (not the head end) in the case, and voila! A full sized toothbrush. Didn't explain that very well...

Interesting, maybe I will try one of those. Probably weighs less than a full size toothbrush plus cover, too.

ShelterLeopard
01-14-2010, 14:18
Slugger, I'm starting to have my suspicions about you... are you are gram junkie? Come on, 'fess up...

:D

And jombo, it is pretty light. Works quite well for me.

jombo22
01-14-2010, 14:22
Slugger, I'm starting to have my suspicions about you... are you are gram junkie? Come on, 'fess up...

And jombo, it is pretty light. Works quite well for me.

I used to keep my tooth brush, paste, etc in a big ziplock and it always bothered me because when you put the wet toothbrush in it gets EVERYTHING - the sides of the bag, the other items in the bag - slimy.

I'll bet the inside of that plastic cover gets slimy and gross, but you don't have to touch it so it's not a big deal and you can just rinse it out periodically.

slugger
01-14-2010, 14:23

lol Far from. Don't make me break out my wisperlight international :banana

ShelterLeopard
01-14-2010, 14:28
Hey- I used to use one until it broke. Now I have a pocketrocket. My pocketrocket can beat up your whisperlite!

Blissful
01-14-2010, 15:00
I kept mine in a small ziploc and traded out for fresh ziplocs from my bounce box, etc in towns

Blissful
01-14-2010, 15:00
Hey- I used to use one until it broke. Now I have a pocketrocket. My pocketrocket can beat up your whisperlite!

You got that right!! :cool: Pocket rocket users unite.

Stir Fry
01-14-2010, 15:08
REI has a brush that the past is in the handle. I have been getting about 2 weeks out of thr tube of past. its refillable when it gets low.
http://www.rei.com/product/737990

Spokes
01-14-2010, 15:24
Yes, things get slimy. I hate the hard covers especially after looking inside inside one to see all the mold growing inside. Yikes!

I ended up just using a ziplock freezer bag and made sure I changed it out when I got to town. I would swap out toothbrushes too at drug store or Wally World stops along the way.

Reid
01-14-2010, 15:34
I just use a piece of saran wrap and wrap the top up in it tight. Clean the saran wrap if it was to get dirty.

zelph
01-14-2010, 15:43
Just suck all the water off of it.

That's what I do with mine, works for me:) If you use it often enough it won't get slimy;)

garlic08
01-14-2010, 15:52
I keep mine in a small mesh ditty bag made from bug netting. Keeps dirt out, lets it dry. Same bags holds other toiletries and first aid kit.

QuarterPounder
01-14-2010, 16:27
Another way to keep things neat is to use a empty medicine bottle. Cut a slit in the top... slide the top up the handle of the toothbrush... then snap the top on the bottle. The business end of the brush is now in the bottle. Wish I had a picture... or know how to upload one:)

Tinker
01-14-2010, 16:39
I've always hated using ziplock baggies because everything gets all slimy if you put the toothbrush in before giving it a chance to dry.
It's healthy slime!

Really! Just leave it unzipped overnight somewhere the mice can't play with it, and it will be dry (at least as dry as your shoes are) next morning. If the slime bothers you, rinse out the bag occasionally and dry it with some tp or a clean bandanna.

Plodderman
01-14-2010, 16:42
I have a little case and a fold up toothbrush.

Marta
01-14-2010, 22:34
I have an itty bitty silnylon bag that holds toothbrush (the travel kind shown in the photo), toothpaste, floss, nail clippers, BandAids, a bit of duct tape, some safety pins, emergency matches, a few pills, a little spectra cord, and the other odds and ends that make up my toilet kit/medicine cabinet.

In warm weather the toothbrush will start to get funky. Time to throw it out and get another one. Or you can dip it in boiling water to knock back the slime.

Nearly Normal
01-15-2010, 02:55
After a few days in the rain it won't matter much at all. Everything will be nasty, especially you.

Bronk
01-15-2010, 04:51
I always "flick" the brush end to get most of the moisture off...just hold onto the handle, pull the head back, and then let go...it will spring forward and fling the water off...do this a couple times and its mostly dry...then put it in a ziplock.

Connie
01-15-2010, 05:34
Tiny Teeth Soft Finger Toothbrush (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=223901&catid=133236&aid=337953&aparam=tiny_teeth_soft_finger_t&CAWELAID=405813018)

Four Paws Petdental Finger Toothbrushes for Dogs/Cats (http://www.petfooddirect.com/product/2680/Four-Paws-Petdental-Finger-Toothbrushes-for-DogsCats-2pack&cm_mmc_o=2mHlCjCVdKCjCVdK2tzEEwklCjCWR2RJVRW?zmam= 90031077&zmas=13&zmac=74&zmap=2139713)

I saw something like this at the local drugstore. It washes up and stays clean.

Rinses off nicely and dries quickly. I use a snack-size zip lock baggie.

I do keep my hands washed: I use Sea-to-Summit Pocket Soap (http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/55) soap leaves.

mister krabs
01-15-2010, 10:18
I use a small toothbrush cover then put it in my ziplock. I have an eyedropper of listerine in my kit and I'll occasionally disinfect it with that.

Bianchi Veloce
01-15-2010, 10:23
I use a ziploc bag and a small piece of tin foil wrapped around the bristles of the brush. Works fine for me.

le loupe
01-15-2010, 10:29
i just use the fold-top sandwich bag. It must let a little more air flow as i havent noticed a problem with a wet toothbrush next time i use it or the bag being slimy. I've used the same bag for a couple of sections, at least.

DAKS
01-15-2010, 12:54
my toothbrush goes inside my cook pot with the rest of my toiletries.

10-K
01-16-2010, 08:20

That's exactly what I have and my toothbrush is still black after a week or so. :)

Pickleodeon
01-16-2010, 10:45
eh, just don't use a toothbrush. Just kidding.

I kept mine in my food bag (my Ursack) it just floated around in there all the time. I'd reach in the bottom of the bag at breakfast, and right after dinner and then hang my food bag at night. It was nice because my toothbrush and toothpaste usually fell to the bottom and it was pretty easy to just reach all the way in the bag and find em.

Wags
01-16-2010, 12:21
i too keep em in my food bag. i usually just stored it with my dinner cup

i heard there was some study done that bacteria won't grow on a toothbrush b/c of the toothpaste's antibacterial properties. so i just don't worry about it. i never really investigated this, so i guess i just don't care too much