PDA

View Full Version : Access to the trail at the Kennebec River

howardbg
01-14-2010, 14:34
Planning a section hike from South of the Kennebec river to Katahdin. Want to cross the river to start. Where's the closest or best place to reach the trail just South of the river?

saimyoji
01-14-2010, 14:38
you planning to ford it?

The Flatulator
01-14-2010, 14:43
You will have to access via logging roads from Bingham and Pleaseant Ridge. There is good signage at the junction you need to take. Just follow the signs to Harrisons Pierce Pond Camps. The road is easily passable by two wheel drive vehicle, though, lots of pot holes and rough spots (it is an old gravel logging road). After you pass the turn off to Harrisons (left), the AT crossing is just a short distance from there and is signed. Ample off road parking available. Check out the directions on the Guide map from the MATC. Distances will be there as well. If you plan to ford the Kennebec, get there early (best before 8am) and walk UP river about 1/4. There are ripples and sand bars there and water is usually no greater than thigh deep. Wear your boots or shoes as the rocks are slippery and make sure to have a stick or pole to assist you against the current and slippage. Bon Voyage!!

Blissful
01-14-2010, 15:14
you planning to ford it?

Uh oh, "can of worms" warning...

:eek:

:)

Ox97GaMe
01-14-2010, 15:38
I dont understand the desire to start your hike by crossing the Kennebec. Just start there in Caratunk and walk north. You will get plenty of opportunities to ford some streams when you get to the 100 mile wilderness. That may change your mind about attempting to ford the Kennebec.

It is not really recommended to ford that river, even if it is early in the morning before they start releasing water from the dam upstream. That river is considered dangerous to cross ANY time.

Lone Wolf
01-14-2010, 15:43
I dont understand the desire to start your hike by crossing the Kennebec. Just start there in Caratunk and walk north. You will get plenty of opportunities to ford some streams when you get to the 100 mile wilderness. That may change your mind about attempting to ford the Kennebec.

It is not really recommended to ford that river, even if it is early in the morning before they start releasing water from the dam upstream. That river is considered dangerous to cross ANY time.

have you forded it. i have. many times. it's not that dangerous

The Flatulator
01-14-2010, 15:57
Forded it six times. Easy enough if you do it before 8 and up river as mentioned. If you cross where the AT comes down to the river, then it can be closer to your chest in two places and kind of scary (been there, done that!). Ferry is there for those who want to wait. ATC advises using the ferry, but us "traditionalists" (yes the ferry service is a tradition, too, even before ATC footed the bill), like the challenge and the "rush" (so long as the rush isn't the flow of water rising!). Myself, I would start in Caratunk and not have to deal with all the additional driving over the logging roads. And, your feet will still have plenty of opportunities to be wet all the time along the way to Ktaadn (tradition spelling).....

saimyoji
01-14-2010, 16:06
Uh oh, "can of worms" warning...

:eek:

:)

maybe, but that wasn't my intention.

if you think its dangerous, don't do it. if you think its something you wanna do, get the info you need from folks who've done it (plenty on here and other sites) and do it safely. interestingly enough Warren Doyle has done it on nearly every group he leads right? and he's the backcountry person of the year right? can't be all that dangerous ifn you do it right.....right? :)

max patch
01-14-2010, 16:17
maybe, but that wasn't my intention.

if you think its dangerous, don't do it. if you think its something you wanna do, get the info you need from folks who've done it (plenty on here and other sites) and do it safely. interestingly enough Warren Doyle has done it on nearly every group he leads right? and he's the backcountry person of the year right? can't be all that dangerous ifn you do it right.....right? :)

Ask Alice Ference.

Oh wait....

Tinker
01-14-2010, 16:28
Planning a section hike from South of the Kennebec river to Katahdin. Want to cross the river to start. Where's the closest or best place to reach the trail just South of the river?

I, personally, if I were in your shoes, would take the ferry across from N-S, set foot on the S side, then get back in and paddle back, start hiking, etc. Not so tough to figure out.
Double cross :D.

saimyoji
01-14-2010, 17:52
Ask Alice Ference.

Oh wait....

nice troll try. :)

max patch
01-14-2010, 19:15
nice troll try. :)

Not trolling.

Perfect answer to your query about safety.

Hikerhead
01-14-2010, 19:38
There's many many pictures of every place on the trail but I don't think I've yet to see a picture of someone fording the Kennebec.

Bearpaw
01-14-2010, 21:25
There's many many pictures of every place on the trail but I don't think I've yet to see a picture of someone fording the Kennebec.

They don't want to get their cameras wet. Plenty of people ford.

To answer the OP, get to Stratton, Maine and walk north.

modiyooch
01-14-2010, 21:28
I, personally, if I were in your shoes, would take the ferry across from N-S, set foot on the S side, then get back in and paddle back, start hiking, etc. Not so tough to figure out.
Double cross :D.
That would be my suggestion as well, else it's a long shuttle. You have to cross the river in the next town. I'll send the trailhead parking link later.

modiyooch
01-14-2010, 21:42
http://rohland.homedns.org/AT/State/state_menu/at_state_menu.aspx?id=12 It's about 32 miles. 3 mile hike to river. you will have to schedule it correctly so that you catch the ferry crossing schedule. fording was out of the question when i crossed. the ferryman did good to get the canoe across. he was very skilled.

warraghiyagey
01-14-2010, 21:44
Drive in to Pierce Pond and hike north. . . it's a long dirt road along the south side of the kennebec. . . beware the logging trucks. . . .

YoungMoose
01-14-2010, 22:01
have you forded it. i have. many times. it's not that dangerousLol your LW you have done everything. I think you should be president of the US.:D

peakbagger
01-15-2010, 09:48
I notice your address and assume you are going have to find a way to get to the trail. The approach to get to the west side of the Kennebec is a long drive from civilization and requires some navigation ( A Delorme guide would be very helpful). If you do drive up, you will end up on Long Fall Dam road and will drive right over the AT crossing (at the the 2000 mile mark). From there its a minimum of an hour if the roads are in passable shape to get to Harrisons camp and could easily take longer. If you pay for a shuttle, its not going to be cheap, if you are spotting a car, it means you will have to make the trip twice. The alternative of starting in Caratunk on the oher side of the river is a lot easier as its a fairly major highway, it still out in the woods but the drive up will be quicker and your shuttle options will be better. Granted the walk down from Harrison's to the river is a nice one along a set of waterfalls, but logistically its probably not worth it unless you bite the bullet and add two days to your trip and start at Long Falls Dam road which adds in the Carry Ponds and a night at Pierce Pond.

I expect that that you could work out the deal with the person running the ferry for a trip over and back across the river if you want to experience it.

woodsy
01-15-2010, 10:03
beware the logging trucks. . . .
And wild Swamp Donkeys

Rain Man
01-15-2010, 11:46
Where's the closest or best place to reach the trail just South of the river?

As others have said, "the closest or best place" is from just North of the river. (And that's even if you want to hike south a ways, then turn around and come back.) Double cross, or back track.

I did that at the James River my first time there, just to hike across the James River Foot Bridge for fun and to take photos.

Rain:sunMan

howardbg
01-15-2010, 14:02
The rest of you must have nothing better to do!

vonfrick
01-15-2010, 14:08
Drive in to Pierce Pond and hike north. . . it's a long dirt road along the south side of the kennebec. . . beware the logging trucks. . . .

And wild Swamp Donkeys

how very true

and it's about 40 mins in from the main road, less if your vehicle is meant to drive on that crap

hi woodsy!!! :welcome miss you!!

weary
01-15-2010, 14:29
.....Plenty of people ford. To answer the OP, get to Stratton, Maine and walk north.
Well, I agree with Bearpaw on his second advice. Stratton to the Kennebec is a beautiful section of the Appalachian Trail -- a traverse of the Bigelow range, a stroll through a delightful lake country, culminating with a night at Pierce Pond and a nice walk along a white water stream.

But as to whether "plenty of people" ford the Kennebec depends on your definition of "plenty." The guy who has the best guess -- he's on the river daily during the hiking season ferrying hikers across -- says that probably less than a dozen walked the river in 2009, or well under 1 percent of hikers.

"We also had 7 confirmed Forders. There were rumors of a few more, but I was only able to confirm these 7.
There were sevral others who tried to ford the river, but turned back after realizing that they weren't going to make it. In the end, they were glad to get the free boat ride!" he said in a report that I posted a few weeks ago.

BTW, the Ferryman has a three year contract with ATC. He gains no benefit from encouraging more use of his service. He would earn the same if no one takes a ride in his canoe. He did have to rescue a few hikers attempting to ford. That's not part of his contract, but he does it anyway.

Weary

woodsy
01-15-2010, 20:26
hi woodsy!!! :welcome miss you!!
Miss you too Vonfrick !
Maybe a rendezvous in 2010 ?
My grandpappy, back in the 50's, built a camp on the lake just down the road from the AT on the south side bout 8 miles, Swamp Donkeys ( Moose )roam all over the place in there, just so you know, some weighing in at 1,000 lbs and don't know much about cars and trucks .:D

veteran
01-16-2010, 19:37

Here’s one

http://www.jimlawyer.com/Appalachian%20Trail/web/AppalachainTrail_KennebecCrossing_AT131.jpg