PDA

View Full Version : Yoga mat sleeping pad...

I_think_I_can
09-13-2004, 19:13
:rolleyes: I'm thinking of making a sleeping pad with two extra yoga mats laying around. They were free, so I'm not going to be picky, but they're kind of heavy. I'm going to cut them down, but I want to put some kind of foam between them. Any suggestions for making them light and comfortable? Do you think I really need foam in the middle? Thanks.

orangebug
09-13-2004, 19:41
These are heavy and you want to add additional weight and bulk.

Now why is it that you are you attracted to them?

I_think_I_can
09-13-2004, 21:50
Well, they are heavy now, but I'll be cutting them, and foam doesn't add much weight at all, and is highly compressible. The most attractive feature is the free part, since I work for peanuts.

Erin

hustler
09-13-2004, 22:39
You might want to think about how much insulation you get out of the yoga mats. Most people only carry mats because of their insulating properties. Rememeber compressed down is worthless, and it's cold when you start. I hiked with a $12 full length ridge rest. It kept me warm in the south, then I cut it down in Harpers Ferry. I think it was about 13 onces? Cheap and Light, you should think about it.

Jeremy
12-09-2004, 01:19
I suggest buying a 3/4 length ridge rest. It is the lightest closed cell pad that therm-a-rest makes, and it won't take a bite out of your wallet. (this is the pad I use myself, even in the winter)

squirrel bait
12-09-2004, 07:39
Good going on thinking of ways to make your own gear. Keep it up. Besides being heavy do these mats compress well? Going to use it as a frame inside your internal frame backpack? Will they come apart with use? Rain? Consider these things.