PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Gear Poll

Cuffs
01-14-2010, 17:05
Please take a moment to participate in this poll. The outfitter that I am employed at is contemplating carrying a new line and would like to know which you would choose and why...

Evernew
http://www.evernewamerica.com/ (http://www.evernewamerica.com/)

Vargo
http://www.vargooutdoors.com/index.html (http://www.vargooutdoors.com/index.html)

We are specifically looking at their titanium stoves, pots/pans and utensils.

All input, comments are welcome and especially if you own and use any of their gear.

Bearpaw
01-14-2010, 17:41
I have to say Evernew because I have no experience with Vargo. I've used both Evernew and Snow Peak. Evernew pots tend to be wider and distribute their heat better than the narrow Snow Peak line.

REI titanium series is made by Evernew also.

bigcranky
01-14-2010, 18:49
Do you already carry other lines of titanium cooking gear? Does it sell?

My local small outfitter carries Snow Peak. He has most items in both titanium and aluminum. The Aluminum are slightly heavier and a lot cheaper, and sell well to Boy Scouts and the like. I think his customers appreciate having a choice between very similar (well, exactly the same) items. I can ask him how well this line sells, if you want, and maybe get some specifics on models.

JERMM
01-14-2010, 18:58
Evernew pots get my vote they're lighter and the lids fit better than Vargo

I have no experience with either company's stoves

Cuffs
01-14-2010, 19:28
Do you already carry other lines of titanium cooking gear? Does it sell?

My local small outfitter carries Snow Peak. He has most items in both titanium and aluminum. The Aluminum are slightly heavier and a lot cheaper, and sell well to Boy Scouts and the like. I think his customers appreciate having a choice between very similar (well, exactly the same) items. I can ask him how well this line sells, if you want, and maybe get some specifics on models.

BC, we do carry the Snow Peak line in both the Ti and Aluminum. We also carry the MSR Titan in Ti (plus most of the Al lines)

Im trying to get an alcohol stove in here, they are starting to become more popular and customers are requesting them.

PS, BigCranky, see you tomorrow at soruck!!:banana

Hooch
01-14-2010, 19:34
Cuffs, since y'all are exploring the idea of carrying an alcohol stove, have considered the idea of carrying the Caldera Cone/Caldera Keg systems?

Cuffs
01-14-2010, 19:41
OH yes, I would love to carry the Caldera! I just have not sat down and wrote Tinny a letter yet... you know if hes expected at Soruck??

Connie
01-14-2010, 19:55
I have had 50 years worth experience of owning backpacking stoves and cook systems.

I had to purchase the Vargo online.

I like Vargo, although the spot welded handles inside are a little rough. Not sharp. Just a little rough at the price.

Maybe if you give them an order, you can tell them you want to see a smoother lid fit and inside spot weld finish and in the next order if they want to be on your "line card".

The 2" deep 6" diameter Vargo 750 ml Sierra Cup has a sturdy, non collapsible handle.

I like the non collapsible handle.
I like to look into the pan to check on the doneness of the food.
I like to eat out of the pan, not needing to carry a bowl or dish.

The lid fit on mine is fine.
I like the plastic handle on the lid.
I like draining water into a cup for cocoa.

The open-design shape is easy to scrape out clean: I use a GSI scraper, or a tortilla.

I hate the Evernew handles, on any brand.

I extremely dislike the side-to-side flip-flop in my hand.

My Jetboil frypan has those handles.

I hate it so much I got the stove stand adapter, just so I could use a different frying pan and I don't use the quite expensive Jetboil frying pan.

That is a lot of: I hate it.

I don't like the finish on the Evernew or the REI Evernew pots. I like the finish on GSI.

I did purchase a GSI Solo, but I like the fast-boil Vargo 750 ml Sierra Cup cook pot better.

I have the Vargo 750 ml Sierra Cup in my alcohol stove setup, a first for me, having used white gas for many years, and then canister stoves for years, because the Vargo 750 ml Sierra Cup is perfect for use with an alcohol stove.

It fast boils, the shape catching all the flame in the cone. I can also poach. I can also bake. I can also pan fry.

The perfect pot for one.

The other superior titanium brand is Snow Peak: great stuff.

Snow Peak has the nicest in-the-hand titanium utensils, having the nicest surface texture in-the-mouth.

Snow Peak nesting cups and pots are very good for "civilized" dining with a cook pot and cup. I have a Snow Peak cup. I like it.

I won't have anything from Snow Peak, however, with those other style handles.

I don't like dumping my hot food or my hot drink, I carried and I prepared hungry, because the cooking pot or the drinking cup has flip-flop handles.

Connie
01-14-2010, 20:06
Cuffs,

I recommend you "check out" the Zelph Stove Works "Super Stove".

I have the alcohol stove and the white gas stove: 1 oz each.

Cuffs
01-14-2010, 20:13
Cuffs,

I recommend you "check out" the Zelph Stove Works "Super Stove".

I have the alcohol stove and the white gas stove: 1 oz each.

As an Admin here, Im aware of Zelph's excellent stoves. Our concern (right now) is long term availability. This is in the planning stages and I may contact Zelph in the future. Im sure he appreciates the recommendation!!

Hooch
01-14-2010, 20:13
OH yes, I would love to carry the Caldera! I just have not sat down and wrote Tinny a letter yet... you know if hes expected at Soruck??Dunno, haven't heard form him. Hopefully so, but if not, just give the guy a call.

Connie
01-14-2010, 20:14
The MDB Bongo HNC Deluxe (http://minibulldesign.com/mbdstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=231) is sold out, practically all the time.

It melts snow for water like a champ.

Connie
01-14-2010, 20:17
In general, production requires a jig and a die, and a reliable supply of material.

Tools, a shop, and time. Or paid labor.

BrianLe
01-14-2010, 20:34
Not sure of the point of a poll that has only two options. I'd also point out that a lot of (most?) people will have one brand and have little or no experience with the other. Couple that with a natural tendency for folks to praise whatever gear item they happened to have selected ... I don't see what meaningful data could be extracted.

FWIW, I have a couple of Evernew pots as well as a Walmart grease pot, but I now use one from MLD.

Pet peeve: pots with either no "fill to this line for X volume" marks inside, or has a couple of them in milliliters --- when in the U.S. we're generally looking to fill in terms of fluid ounces.

Utensils: almost bought a long-handled titanium spoon at REI, but I hated the spoon "bowl" shape and size/volume. Don't recall the brand.

Hooch
01-14-2010, 20:40
Pet peeve: pots with either no "fill to this line for X volume" marks inside, or has a couple of them in milliliters --- when in the U.S. we're generally looking to fill in terms of fluid ounces.Ounces x 30 = millilters. Problem solved. :D

Pootz
01-14-2010, 20:50
I used a Vargo non stick titanium 1.3 litre pot for my thru hike and the 2 years that have followed. It works great and still looks fairly new. And I like the fact that Brian Vargo is a past thru hiker.

http://www.vargooutdoors.com/index.html

300winmag
01-14-2010, 23:53
Why would you look at ti? :confused:

IMHO :o
Aluminum transmits heat so much better and the newer anodized insides are very tough and non-stick. Plus ti is 'spensive.

To me ti utensils are like alky stoves, a kind of a cultish thing, like stainles Sierra cups used to be in the 60s - cool but not all that practical.

Eric

Cuffs
01-15-2010, 01:00
Why would you look at ti? :confused:

IMHO :o
Aluminum transmits heat so much better and the newer anodized insides are very tough and non-stick. Plus ti is 'spensive.

To me ti utensils are like alky stoves, a kind of a cultish thing, like stainles Sierra cups used to be in the 60s - cool but not all that practical.

Eric

Why? Because wr already carry other items made from other materials and we would like to meet customer needs/requests. Carrying Ti kitchen pieces would meet this, I'm just trying to determine which brand would fulfill that.

Nearly Normal
01-15-2010, 04:18
I use an evernew pot with a Trangia stove. Works well and light, everthing fits in the pot. Handles on the pot could be better.

flemdawg1
01-15-2010, 13:37
BC, we do carry the Snow Peak line in both the Ti and Aluminum. We also carry the MSR Titan in Ti (plus most of the Al lines)

Im trying to get an alcohol stove in here, they are starting to become more popular and customers are requesting them.

PS, BigCranky, see you tomorrow at soruck!!:banana

Your local competition carries the Etowah alchy stove.

Cuffs
01-19-2010, 20:51
I wouldnt consider them a competitor...

flemdawg1
01-19-2010, 23:32
OoooH SNAP!

Rain Man
01-20-2010, 11:37
The MDB Bongo HNC Deluxe (http://minibulldesign.com/mbdstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=231) is sold out, practically all the time.

Bad link.

Rain:sunMan

AggieAl
01-20-2010, 11:46
The Evernew line appears to have an insulated handle on the cup. I am so tired of getting my fingers burned on handle. I am adding some of my own insulation.

Connie
01-20-2010, 15:09
The link worked, today, and still shows "sold out".

I have been watching because I want one.

Cuffs
01-21-2010, 16:11
Just a bump to keep this survey alive til the end of the month...