PDA

View Full Version : shoes shoes shoes...

Chatzi
01-14-2010, 22:15
So I bought a pair of Vasque Breeze at Campmor today (the store in Jersey). They seemed great in-store and then at home stomping around the house, so I took them out on a local trail and my right foot was destroyed. Limped home, cleaned them up and took them back, only to be told I missed a few specks of dirt wedged into the bottom and they wouldn't be accepted. Not trying to start a controversy here, because I do understand the policy, but it brings me to this question: How does one know if a pair of shoes/boots is going to work for them on the trail without taking them out and making them un-returnable? Saving up for my thru-hike I hardly have money to throw away on shoes I can't wear. Salomons do usually work for me so I guess I'll stick with them. Only bought the Vasques because of numerous recommendations. That'll teach me to listen to people!

Hatfield
01-14-2010, 22:23
What do you mean by ''destroyed''?

Chatzi
01-14-2010, 22:25
the shoe was putting pressure on the ball of my foot and causing my toes to go numb... so not quite destroying (perhaps I was being a bit dramatic due to my irritation at the whole thing), but extremely uncomfortable. Any suggestions as to how to remedy this would of course be much appreciated. :o

Chatzi
01-14-2010, 22:26
I should also note that not only were my toes tingling, but the ball of my foot did indeed hurt mightily.

pattydivins
01-14-2010, 22:32
Your feet may have just not adjusted to the new pair of shoes yet. Sometimes when I buy new shoes and I immeadiatly put them through the gauntlet, my feet will hurt. Wear them around some more and break them in. I'm sure they will be fine.

pattydivins
01-14-2010, 22:35
Off Topic: I see you are from Nyack, that is a really cool town. Have you ever eaten at Harry's Burritos?

Chatzi
01-14-2010, 22:38
I haven't, although I do know where it is... I grew up here, moved away for a few years and just moved back. Plan on seeing what's new in town soon!

Hatfield
01-14-2010, 22:47
I am breaking in a pair of Asolos, painful after a couple of miles.

Hooch
01-14-2010, 22:47
Sell 'em on Craigslist or Ebay. You'll probably be able to get at least some of your money back on them.

jnanagardener
01-14-2010, 22:52
I own a pair of Vasque Breeze as well and I am thrilled with them. Don't mean this to sound judgmental or ignorant but if your toes went numb that sounds like they are were too small. I'm also curious about the kind of socks you wore when you tried them on that first hike. Something else to consider, though not sure how true this is, but I've read many thur-hiker posts about allowing for between a half and a full size of foot swelling. Hope the shoes work out for you. Good luck on your thru.

Chatzi
01-14-2010, 22:57
Nope, definitely not too small. Slightly on the wide side, just how I like them (they can be laced plenty tight enough) with enough room at the toe. Wearing smartwool-like hiking socks.
Really, I'm not totally out of my mind! I will give them some time the next few weeks and wear them around. I just put them on again and I think what I'm feeling is the shank going up the shoe slightly to the left of middle. A weird feeling... or maybe I am out of my mind? Eh. If all else fails I'll pick up some insoles.

BrianLe
01-14-2010, 23:04
"the shoe was putting pressure on the ball of my foot and causing my toes to go numb... so not quite destroying (perhaps I was being a bit dramatic due to my irritation at the whole thing), but extremely uncomfortable. Any suggestions as to how to remedy this would of course be much appreciated."

Lots of thru-hikers get numb toes, can take months for this to go away. That said, what you're describing led to Morton's Neuroma on one foot for me, which in turn required surgery that I'm still recovering from.

Another shoe or perhaps another insert could help (?), but the thing you might look for in particular is called a metatarsal pad. Do an internet search. Your foot doctor might sell them, or you can get them on line at a place like, for example, footsmart.com, look for them there under either ball-of-foot pain (http://www.footsmart.com/C-Ball-of-Foot-Pain-Products-55.aspx), or morton's neuroma (http://www.footsmart.com/C-Mortons-Neuroma-Relief-Products-54.aspx). Note: no particular recommendation for this company, just someone I happened to have bought stuff like this from in the past.

Important with the metatarsal pad is knowing where to place it --- it actually goes behind the ball of the foot (just behind, closer to the arch). Note that I'm no foot doctor, please do your own research and take the above as just "FYI" stuff and not a specific recommendation (!).

Hatfield
01-14-2010, 23:19
What about toes that start to ache, just toes?

Chatzi
01-14-2010, 23:28
Thinking I may just try to sell the Vasques. Would rather not risk injury, especially right before my trek! On that note if anyone needs a pair of men's 10 (non goretex) at a good price, let me know!

BrianLe
01-15-2010, 01:30
"
What about toes that start to ache, just toes?"

Hopefully someone else can respond to that because, again, I'm no foot doctor (!). But it might help if you were more specific. All the toes or just some of them (and if so which ones)? All the time, or on-and-off? Ache only when you're walking, or does the ache continue after you stop? The whole toe or just a part of the toe? What type of footwear? What type of insert? Etc etc ...

WILLIAM HAYES
01-15-2010, 02:19
regardless of the trail shoe I buy and I probably have six different pair in my gear closet now I always switch out the inserts with superfeet and have never had a problem like you have described

srestrepo
01-15-2010, 02:37
have you tried to readjust the lacing...

this worked wonders for me... just put the overhand knot in the laces where your boots are too tight...

http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_how_to_do_everything_hiking/skills/12640?page=10

hope this helps.

gravy4601
01-15-2010, 02:45
I am breaking in a pair of Asolos, painful after a couple of miles.

I have a pair of aslo gtx 520 and they have been very comfortable for me maybe try some insols ontop or larger socks

but remember your feet will get longer or whider while you hike whch may make a snuger fit

Chatzi
01-15-2010, 09:31
Which superfeet insoles do you guys use?

Rick500
01-15-2010, 10:21
Which superfeet insoles do you guys use?

I was just going to ask the same question. I've been looking at the green ones.

(And, first post... Hi everyone! :) )

bruchko
01-15-2010, 10:42
http://www.footsmart.com/P-FootSmart-Silicone-Forefoot-Insoles-40100.aspx

i had the same problem and these inserts solved it all for me !!

Toolshed
01-15-2010, 10:46
Always, Always, wear them around the house and not outside for at least a week - Wear 'em constantly inside. No policy against that. I have done it several times with boots I got at Campmor. They take them back easily if not worn outside.

slugger
01-15-2010, 12:07
I had the same problem with my first pair of Asolo boots. Numb toes for months after a short 30 mile hike. Just got new boots will be trying them out this weekend. It's not that they are too small its more that the arch support doesn't work with my feet and causes extreme pain on the balls of my feet leading to nerve damage.

Old Grouse
01-15-2010, 15:56
I usually wear the green Superfeet but it depends on the shoe. Currently I wear Montrail Hardrocks, and found that the best fit for them was the blue ones. Go figure!

Blissful
01-15-2010, 16:10
I couldn't use Superfeet. Too much for my flat feet. I used Spenco hiker insoles.

Also, good idea to first wear your shoes all day indoors first when you purchase

Tinker
01-16-2010, 20:48
So I bought a pair of Vasque Breeze at Campmor today (the store in Jersey). They seemed great in-store and then at home stomping around the house, so I took them out on a local trail and my right foot was destroyed. Limped home, cleaned them up and took them back, only to be told I missed a few specks of dirt wedged into the bottom and they wouldn't be accepted. Not trying to start a controversy here, because I do understand the policy, but it brings me to this question: How does one know if a pair of shoes/boots is going to work for them on the trail without taking them out and making them un-returnable? Saving up for my thru-hike I hardly have money to throw away on shoes I can't wear. Salomons do usually work for me so I guess I'll stick with them. Only bought the Vasques because of numerous recommendations. That'll teach me to listen to people!

Try taking the insoles out of your old boots and putting them into the Vasques.