PDA

View Full Version : Campsite in MahoosucNotch??

sojo
01-14-2010, 23:11
I read on some link that there is a campsite near the notch...if so, which end is it near....is it possible to stealth camp there?;)

Lone Wolf
01-15-2010, 01:56
north end. big site. no need to stealth

jwalden
01-15-2010, 02:04
I think I remember slight open grassy bits in the forested area at the north end before the Notch starts, but memory is a bit hazy. I'm sure you could make something there work in a pinch.

Fulling Mountain a mile south of the Notch (after a lengthy but not difficult climb) has what I deemed sufficiently tall trees as to not consider the top above treeline (Maine generally prohibits camping above treeline). There's a nice view from the summit, a large curved area of rock, and the trail just slightly north of it is reasonably wide (crossing fairly flat rocks), enough to lay out a pad and sleeping bag just fine on it without needing to worry about possibly-fragile vegetation. Maybe 5-10 minutes north of the summit the trail crossed over a mini-stream, and after I stopped at the summit for the night (it was completely dark when I reached the top and my flashlight was pretty dim, precluding a stay at Full Goose) I walked back to fill up on water. You're not hidden in any way, but as I understood it this isn't in an area with camping restrictions, so you don't have to be hidden from the trail if you don't want to.

The stars and sky from Fulling Mountain are pretty great at night, for what it's worth, and the large rocky expanse at the summit gives a fully unobstructed view.

camojack
01-15-2010, 02:44
There are plenty of spots in Mahoosuc Notch where you could spend the night... :rolleyes:

Mr. Clean
01-15-2010, 05:52
There is a spot at each end that you can easily set up on. Theres also a nice spot near the northern end of the middle that I'd like to try sleeping at.

modiyooch
01-15-2010, 09:39
right at the northern end of the notch is a great spot for tents. It's at the base of the arm. we got up, had huge breakfast, and tackled the notch first thing.

The Flatulator
01-15-2010, 10:12
There is NO place in Mahoosuc Notch to camp! There are nice campsites at either end of the Notch, however. The one everyone mentions at the north end and a couple of nice spots on the Mahoosuc Notch side trail that takes you down to the Success Pond Road. This would be at the AT junction at the south end of the Notch. Only a few hundred yards or so down and a nice stream for water.

peakbagger
01-15-2010, 14:22
The campsite on the North end of the notch is very large and very obvious. If you dont like being close to the trail, go down the banking and there are plenty of flat camping spots. This area is also the start of the unofficial trail that connects up with Bull Branch Road which eventually leads to the Sunday River Road. I suppose someone hard up for a beer could hike down to Sunday River Brewing but it would be a long walk without much potential for a hitch. IMHO, the campsite on the North end is much nicer than the ones on the south end.

If you elect to skip the north campsite, plan on going all the way up the Arm and heading over to Speck Pond.

Lauriep
01-16-2010, 01:30
I camped at the large site just after the north end of the Notch this year. Hadn't planned to, because I didn't think it was legal, and of course an ATC employee always wants to do "the right thing," even on vacation (generally to the annoyance of husbands and friends:)). The official MATC map states, "camp only at designated sites," and this site isn't designated on the map or the ground.

One of the people in my group was really tired, and it the Arm isn't a place to push an older person with medical issues. The next morning the AMC caretaker at Speck Pond indicated camping down there was okay under the circumstances, but I don't think it's encouraged. Trail managers usually have good reasons for their camping policies, though the reasons may not always be apparent to the hiker. Can be issues with waste management, access, land ownership, rare threatened or endangered species, cultural/historic resources, trail neighbors, water quality, or other stuff you can't always see.

Laurie P.

Lauriep
01-16-2010, 01:31
I meant "last year." I'm not much of a winter camper.

modiyooch
01-16-2010, 09:16
I camped at the large site just after the north end of the Notch this year. Hadn't planned to, because I didn't think it was legal, and of course an ATC employee always wants to do "the right thing," even on vacation (generally to the annoyance of husbands and friends:)). The official MATC map states, "camp only at designated sites," and this site isn't designated on the map or the ground.

One of the people in my group was really tired, and it the Arm isn't a place to push an older person with medical issues. The next morning the AMC caretaker at Speck Pond indicated camping down there was okay under the circumstances, but I don't think it's encouraged. Trail managers usually have good reasons for their camping policies, though the reasons may not always be apparent to the hiker. Can be issues with waste management, access, land ownership, rare threatened or endangered species, cultural/historic resources, trail neighbors, water quality, or other stuff you can't always see.

Laurie P.the caretaker is the one that suggested the site to us.