PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness Permits

Megapixel
01-14-2010, 23:31
I think this may have been already stated in my many questions on this forum, but I want to make sure. I found some great flight deals and want to move forward with reservations. Am I safe to do so without wilderness reservation permits? I need to make the flight arrangements by Jan. 18, but the earliest (168 days out from Jul.10) I can reserve wilderness permits is going to be Jan.23, by telephone.

The permits will be for the entire JMT, Southbound, if that factors in at all. I Do plan to attempt to secure them as soon as the office opens on that day.

Rambler
01-14-2010, 23:50
Try to get your permit ASAP, but I know of people who were able to get walk in same day permits. Getting a permit out of Tuolumne is much easier.

karoberts
01-15-2010, 00:25
I don't know about July, but for an August 4 start date last year I got to the office at 3 AM thinking I'd be the only one there, but there were 9 other people already there sleeping by the door! Fortunately, there were walk-in permits left when I got to the desk.

If you plan to get a walk in, be sure to get there early. Although August is peak time, so early July might not be as busy.

Miner
01-15-2010, 00:37
Show up on a weekday and not a weekend date. Show up early the day before you leave.

Worse case, if you can't get a permit from Yosemite Valley ask for one from Tuolumne Meadows and take the shuttle bus up to the meadow. If you are in good enough shape, the trail between Tuolumne and Yosemite Valley can be done as a day hike in one day (it's mostly down hill) which doesn't need a permit.

Megapixel
01-15-2010, 17:21
Anyone out there with experience on calling in your reservations???

PUNKINPUSS11
01-15-2010, 18:30
Great post nomad!!!!! I cant wait for an answer!!!! Ill be out there aug 1st i think the first day to res is feb 1st...double check tho