PDA

View Full Version : video/photo Data tranfers on AT

lonewolftrekker
01-15-2010, 00:24
Hi everyone, I am wondering if anyone knows if AT Libraries allow you to tranfer pictures and video from usb SD Card reader To usb hard drive. or how often I may come across such a chance to do so by other means.

lonewolftrekker
01-15-2010, 00:26
or get chances to buy new sd cards on trail.

Johnny Thunder
01-15-2010, 00:29
It's really hit-or-miss. Many have rules against plugging in any usb media device. Some hostels have computers but unless you have a device without removable storage (like one of the flip video cameras) you could save yourself a lot of time and extra effort by buying extra memory off Ebay. It's typically cheap and unless you see yourself doing a lot of video you can probably get away with 8 to 10 gigs...and that's assuming that you take a lot of pictures.

You might also consider handing off the cards to someone who would transfer the data to your drive and then mail the blanks back to you. Find someone in Virginia...and then around your home state. That should be enough to keep the memory rolling in. Do not consider mailing your only digital copies ever.

Johnny Thunder
01-15-2010, 00:31
You can also buy SD memory at the many targets, walmarts, cvs-walgreen, etc stores you'll encounter once you reach Franklin and beyond. Finding places to buy SD memory is easy (especially if your camera takes both SD and SD/HC). Again, it's much easier to buy a lot of it off Ebay and take it with you. You'll save a lot of money and those cards weigh next to nothing.,

Miner
01-15-2010, 00:33
I created my own opportunities on the PCT this year by bouncing a cheap 9" netbook with an external harddrive every few weeks ahead of me. I was shotting HD video with a camcorder so I was going through a lot more card space then most photographers.

A more reasonable method is find a friend/relative who can copy your files off the cards. Mail a card to him when its full while you use a spare. Your friend copies it and mails it back to you further up the trail.

lonewolftrekker
01-15-2010, 00:49
It's really hit-or-miss. Many have rules against plugging in any usb media device. Some hostels have computers but unless you have a device without removable storage (like one of the flip video cameras) you could save yourself a lot of time and extra effort by buying extra memory off Ebay. It's typically cheap and unless you see yourself doing a lot of video you can probably get away with 8 to 10 gigs...and that's assuming that you take a lot of pictures.

You might also consider handing off the cards to someone who would transfer the data to your drive and then mail the blanks back to you. Find someone in Virginia...and then around your home state. That should be enough to keep the memory rolling in. Do not consider mailing your only digital copies ever.

I am shooting with a flip hd type handheld and taking pics on a canon. so with the 16 gigs in the video camera with 2 gigs in the canon I am looking to put them on a 6 ounce 320GB hard drive for a documentary for Public access... as far as weight is concerned im not worried my Base is 13 pounds.

Johnny Thunder
01-15-2010, 11:42
Ok then...your best shot would be to see what people say about individual libraries/hostels here and then maybe call some to fill in the gaps.

You should be able to do it at the Budget or Saphire in Franklin...PM Ron Haven for more details.

In Monson, ME they let me upload pictures at the library. That may have changed. Also, Stockton, VT (the town 10 miles from Hanover).

That's really all I can think of off the top of my head. I had a lot of friend support and was able to upload primarily at their houses.

lonewolftrekker
01-15-2010, 12:38
ok well that is handy to know. I appreciate all you help.

RollingStone
01-15-2010, 18:02
There now exist SD cards with built in Wi-Fi. Get to a hotspot and upload them directly from your camera/card.

lonewolftrekker
01-15-2010, 18:43
thanks... I called a few of the at libraries they said the transfer between 2 usb devices is fine.