PDA

View Full Version : Little Laurel shelter

10-K
01-15-2010, 08:30
I'm going to hike an out and back from Devil's Fork Gap to Little Laurel shelter next weekend - is there a reliable water source at LL shelter?

stumpknocker
01-15-2010, 09:12
Seems to me if I remember right, there is a very nice spring on the opposite side of the Trail from the shelter.

Tennessee Viking
01-15-2010, 09:39
During the summer time, it can dry up. There is Hemlock Hollow Hostel and Cabins at the small road crossing after Allen Gap.

Cabin Fever
01-15-2010, 09:48
Back in the heat of the summer we had trouble finding water up there. There was a water source on the side of Camp Creek Bald. I don't think we really saw another good one between there and Allen Gap. However, we didn't explore down the side trails much either.

Kerosene
01-15-2010, 09:57
The piped spring, behind the shelter across the AT down a side trail to the right, was running fairly well in late October. I think you should be fine.

The spring at Jerry Cabin was also running well, and there was a fast-flowing stream at Jones Meadow. If the skies are clear, you might consider taking the blue-blaze up over Camp Creek Bald to visit the firetower, which cuts off of the AT about a tenth of a mile north of Jones Meadow and re-joins the AT on the other side of the Bald.

10-K
01-15-2010, 15:37
Does Hemlock Hollow have any signage on the AT?

When I hiked through there last year there was just a cardboard sign in a zip lock nailed to a tree that said "Hemlock Hollow 1/2 mile ->"

I do remember it was just a woods road and that it was to the right (going SOBO).

I'm thinking I might take Roaring Fork trail up to the AT and hike over to HH to spend the night and check the place out.

Kerosene
01-16-2010, 11:12
I didn't see any signs for HH back in October 2009.

GoldenBear
06-29-2019, 22:37
is there a reliable water source at LL shelter?

As of late June, 2019, the spring at Little Laurel is flowing fine. It's about a five minute walk down from the shelter, on a an well-made staircase trail. I cameled there because I feared water might be scarce as I continued south towards Hot Springs. A guy who hiked north from Little Laurel to Jerry Cabin said there was no water at all between the two -- a bit of an exaggeration, but not by much.

There's good water at Little Laurel and Jerry Cabin shelters, but ONLY dribbles of water north of Hot Springs. Camel up at the shelters or you'll be working hard to get a few cups at these dripping areas -- which may have gone dry by early July.

The shelter itself look fine -- not perfect but far from trashy. There are bear cables, the bear protection I most appreciate.

GoldenBear
06-29-2019, 22:39
Does Hemlock Hollow have any signage on the AT?

I saw none when I got to Log Cabin Road.

windlion
09-23-2019, 20:50
Just stopped at Little Laurel on 9/22. Spring is down to puddles and wet gravel, nothing out of the pipe.

No water sources between Jerry's Cabin and Spring Mountain, and both of those are down to thin streams coming out of the pipes! Thanks to the trail angels have been setting out water jugs!