PDA

View Full Version : Little Laurel shelter

10-K
01-15-2010, 08:30
I'm going to hike an out and back from Devil's Fork Gap to Little Laurel shelter next weekend - is there a reliable water source at LL shelter?

stumpknocker
01-15-2010, 09:12
Seems to me if I remember right, there is a very nice spring on the opposite side of the Trail from the shelter.

Tennessee Viking
01-15-2010, 09:39
During the summer time, it can dry up. There is Hemlock Hollow Hostel and Cabins at the small road crossing after Allen Gap.

Cabin Fever
01-15-2010, 09:48
Back in the heat of the summer we had trouble finding water up there. There was a water source on the side of Camp Creek Bald. I don't think we really saw another good one between there and Allen Gap. However, we didn't explore down the side trails much either.

Kerosene
01-15-2010, 09:57
The piped spring, behind the shelter across the AT down a side trail to the right, was running fairly well in late October. I think you should be fine.

The spring at Jerry Cabin was also running well, and there was a fast-flowing stream at Jones Meadow. If the skies are clear, you might consider taking the blue-blaze up over Camp Creek Bald to visit the firetower, which cuts off of the AT about a tenth of a mile north of Jones Meadow and re-joins the AT on the other side of the Bald.

10-K
01-15-2010, 15:37
Does Hemlock Hollow have any signage on the AT?

When I hiked through there last year there was just a cardboard sign in a zip lock nailed to a tree that said "Hemlock Hollow 1/2 mile ->"

I do remember it was just a woods road and that it was to the right (going SOBO).

I'm thinking I might take Roaring Fork trail up to the AT and hike over to HH to spend the night and check the place out.

Kerosene
01-16-2010, 11:12
I didn't see any signs for HH back in October 2009.