PDA

View Full Version : Special Insurance While Hiking

bailyrosco
09-14-2004, 11:02
I was going through a Six Sigms Training of all things and the training module was walking the AT. Anyone familure with Six Sigma Processing knows you have to plan in steps. One question that was brough to the table as we were discussing "Stakeholders" was Insurance. I was shocked because I thought I had asked all the questions and I found that one to be a good one. So my question to all the resident experts is this, Do you need special or additional insurance? Need is a big word I guess I should say would you be covered under normal life and dismemberment insurance? I guess it would apply to medical also. I f you put yourself at a higher risk I would only assume the insurance company would want to take advantage of that. I did not look to see if there was an exsisting thread on this. If so point me there. Thanks:-?

Blue Jay
09-14-2004, 11:16
I was going through a Six Sigms Training of all things and the training module was walking the AT. Anyone familure with Six Sigma Processing knows you have to plan in steps. One question that was brough to the table as we were discussing "Stakeholders" was Insurance. I was shocked because I thought I had asked all the questions and I found that one to be a good one. So my question to all the resident experts is this, Do you need special or additional insurance? Need is a big word I guess I should say would you be covered under normal life and dismemberment insurance? I guess it would apply to medical also. I f you put yourself at a higher risk I would only assume the insurance company would want to take advantage of that. I did not look to see if there was an exsisting thread on this. If so point me there. Thanks:-?

You would not need extra insurance, in my opinion, I could be wrong, under Six Sigma Processing as your risks are significantly lower mainly due to the fact you are not driving for months at a time. This is by far the most risky behavior most of us do unless you work in a mine or are an ocean fisherman. Most of the discussion on this forum is due to losing your regular health insurance when you become unemployed or take a leave without benefits. You would need to pick up that cost yourself.

Jersey Bob
09-14-2004, 11:28
at least 10 characters

bailyrosco
09-14-2004, 11:31
Good Answer Bob, I might have to use that one.

Happy
09-14-2004, 12:59
You are covered by life and medical insurance.

Brushy Sage
09-14-2004, 22:33
Although medical clinics along the AT do not uniformly accept insurance. Some require cash up front, because of unhappy experiences they have had with treating hikers and never getting reimbursed.