PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with having little support from friends..

cindellasaurus
01-16-2010, 14:20
I feel like everyone I talk to about my upcoming thru-hike has something negative to say. It's just really discouraging when your family and friends are like "you're doing WHAT?.. yeah, right! You're never going to end up going." and "have you ever even hiked part of the Appalachian trail? Try hiking part of the trail and I think you'll change your mind, real quick."

Have any of the rest of you had to deal with people being really ..pukey.. about you hiking?

darkage
01-16-2010, 14:35
Yes, my wife mostly don't understand since she hates bugs and the woods .... If i had the time, i have the passion to hike the trail on any day in any weather ...

If you feel inside you can do it and WANNA do it ... after all, its only a long walk.

Don't let the nay sayer's get into you're head, Do it ... and DO it with pride ...

cwbrown
01-16-2010, 14:44
It's not about them...it's about you! Stay positive!!!

superman
01-16-2010, 14:49
Go hike...make new friends. Bring your very stinken hiken friends to visit your old friends. Revenge is better served cold.:)

Spokes
01-16-2010, 14:52
I just look at the nay sayers and smile. My mind flips all those negative comments around and drives me even harder.

Pacific Tortuga
01-16-2010, 14:54
The only opinion that really matters is yours. Goals are good, following through with them is, well, better.
I'd say 99% of all want-a-be thru's heard negative tone's from family or friends, welcome to the group. Nay sayers do not discriminate, at any age, hiker's hear crap about their long trail adventure.
"Follow your dreams, live the life you imagined", H D Thoreau

warraghiyagey
01-16-2010, 14:59
Cindella - you'll meet great people, some of whom will be friends for life. A good percentage of folks who start out on the trail experience this same issue as you. . . but as you continue on your journey your friends/family will be in touch and wonder how you're doing. . . and when you get home, you have what you found for yourself, and you will be amazed the difference in them as you recount your stories of the trail.
Stay true to your dream, and yourself and have a great hike. . . . :sun:sun

GrubbyJohn
01-16-2010, 15:03
ya got alot of friends on here that say give um hell...... go take a hike... so to speak

Rocket
01-16-2010, 16:42
We're all behind you.....100%!

scope
01-16-2010, 16:49
Its natural that you want to talk about it because you are excited about it and you want to share that excitement with the folks you care about the most. Fact is, few people get it, and they're not trying to rain on your parade, they just don't get it. That's what we're here for! Don't talk about it with your family and friends, just do it, they'll come around.

traildust
01-16-2010, 16:57
I feel like everyone I talk to about my upcoming thru-hike has something negative to say. It's just really discouraging when your family and friends are like "you're doing WHAT?.. yeah, right! You're never going to end up going." and "have you ever even hiked part of the Appalachian trail? Try hiking part of the trail and I think you'll change your mind, real quick."

Have any of the rest of you had to deal with people being really ..pukey.. about you hiking?

With each step North, each day completed, they will begin to change their tune. Good luck. Have fun. Hike

Mountain Wildman
01-16-2010, 17:04
Cindellasauras,
It's funny you should ask that question because I was just contemplating this yesterday. I have a nephew and was thinking if I could impart just one piece of advise to him it would be this:
"In your life you will have no shortage of people who will tell you what you can't do. Ignore them. You can do anything you want if you set your mind to it"

RLC_FLA
01-16-2010, 17:09
If they have to ask, they'll never know!

Lilred
01-16-2010, 17:24
I've section hiked about 1000 miles of the trail since 2003. This last summer when I told my mom when I was leaving she said, and I quote, " Are you still hiking that crazy trail?" Some people will never get it.

Tinker
01-16-2010, 17:24

Yes. I walked ;) away from them years ago. Now they're all having midlife (or later) :o crises and heart attacks.
There, but for the grace of God (and a love of hiking) go I.

Mrs Baggins
01-16-2010, 18:21
Yeah we had that, too. So when we had to get of the trail after just 70 miles we had to deal with the naysayers. Our answer? "We walked 70 miles last week carrying almost 40 lbs each. What did you do?" That usually shut them up.

Tinker
01-16-2010, 18:31
Yeah we had that, too. So when we had to get of the trail after just 70 miles we had to deal with the naysayers. Our answer? "We walked 70 miles last week carrying almost 40 lbs each. What did you do?" That usually shut them up.

Way to go! :banana
We die too young often because we do too little.

RichardD
01-16-2010, 18:43
As long distance hikers we are very much a minority. Most folk cannot understand how we actually enjoy the hardships and adversity of a long distance hike. Many consider an adventure to be a trip in a luxury automobile to a Holiday Inn, they have no idea of the satisfaction and adventure we derive from setting off down a trail with everything we need on our back. The delight of waking to the dawn chorus of the birds deep in the forest. The delight of brewing our morning coffee and enjoying our breakfast far from the civilized (or uncivilized) world. The excitement of packing camp and setting off in the early morning sun along trails new to us. The delight of a lunch by a babbling brook and the satisfaction of setting up camp at the end of the day, relaxing tired limbs, enjoying a good dinner and the company of the finest people you will ever meet.
Don't expect many people to share this delight in the outdoors, a few will and a few will lament that they never experienced such an adventure.
(Your age might be some of the reason, people close to you might be worried about your safety. They probably don't realize it is almost a non issue)

Praha4
01-16-2010, 18:53
yep, I've encountered similar criticisms from friends and family... some are jealous that I have 5-6 months of time and the funds to do this hike, while they are chained to miserable careers or jobs and cannot get away; some are just idiots who spend their lives on the mindless treadmill of their own lives: video games, TV, surfing the net all day, drugs, alchohol, etc.; some are out of shape, overweight, don't like bugs, don't like exercising, etc.

It all comes down to CHOICES; we all have them. And what we all choose as individuals to carry in our own life "backpack"; too many posessions, too many houses, too many cars, boats, adult playtoys, too much "stuff" weighs us down, and our backpack gets way too heavy to carry, and we are chained to where they are in life... and then there is the pursuit of the almighty dollar, I have friends in their 40s and 50s worrying to no end about their retirements, and are working 2 jobs, trying to put away money for their retirement.

I made the decision long time ago, I would rather enjoy life now in my 40s and 50s and maybe give up a little money....then sitting in a dam rocking chair in my 70s and 80s with a larger bank account, but too fat or too many health problems to do anything but watch TV or play bingo

it all comes down to choices, what do we all choose to do with the time we have on this earth

it's not easy to break the ties with negative people in your life, misery loves company. If you don't do the hike, you will wake up some day in the future and kick yourself for not doing it

Sleepy the Arab
01-16-2010, 19:01
Ignore them. Every time they trot out those tired lines, don't bother responding, just smile politely and nod.

Then when you get to Hot Springs, send them a postcard (https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=452&compid=1). Make sure you mention the 273 miles you will have hiked by then.

lazy river road
01-16-2010, 19:13
OP Im right their with ya...Im not thruing this summer but im E2E and my friends, family and co-workers think im certifiably insane. Even just random people I meet. I have found much comfort, support and great advice here and espically on hammockforums.net. Think of it this way, if you always listen to what other people say then you'll never end up doing what you would like to do. Some one is always going to have an opinion about what some one else is doing but listen to your heart, and HYOH :) have a great thru.

p.s. My GF has slowly become more supportive over time and is even going to bounce me 2 packages.

JAK
01-16-2010, 19:22
If there is no positive energy to feed on,
feed on the negative. It's still energy. It's all good.

birdog
01-16-2010, 19:38
The psycology behind that type of negative feedback speaks volumes about the people who make those comments. If they only knew that they probably wouldn't say things like that. In short, it says that "I'm feeling less about myself because someone is doing something I don't think I could do." The negative projection you are getting is coming from some misguided sense of inferiority that those people harbour in their owm minds. Don't ever let someone else's lack of self worth affect your own. You just go hike and have a great time and remember the nay-sayers in your prayers.

QuarterPounder
01-16-2010, 20:08
Cindella - you'll meet great people, some of whom will be friends for life. A good percentage of folks who start out on the trail experience this same issue as you. . . but as you continue on your journey your friends/family will be in touch and wonder how you're doing. . . and when you get home, you have what you found for yourself, and you will be amazed the difference in them as you recount your stories of the trail.
Stay true to your dream, and yourself and have a great hike. . . . :sun:sun

Great advice. and very well said. ....or written.. or whatever

chief
01-16-2010, 20:14
The psycology behind that type of negative feedback speaks volumes about the people who make those comments. If they only knew that they probably wouldn't say things like that. In short, it says that "I'm feeling less about myself because someone is doing something I don't think I could do." The negative projection you are getting is coming from some misguided sense of inferiority that those people harbour in their owm minds. Don't ever let someone else's lack of self worth affect your own. You just go hike and have a great time and remember the nay-sayers in your prayers.
Not much factual basis in what you say, but hey, if it makes you feel better to think you're superior, then go for it. Just don't be too uppity about it, else you might have some serious crow to eat if you end your hike early (the majority do).

Surplusman
01-16-2010, 20:16
There's an awful lot of jealous, spiteful, timid, negative people out there. You are on the threshold of something you will be proud of for the rest of your life. Have a memorable hike!

AUhiker90
01-16-2010, 20:40
Yeah I have done alot of hiking and have the utmost confidence in myself but it seems everyone else just thinks i have lost my mind in doing this. What they dont understand is its not just walking through the woods for me its my favortie thing to do, its what i live for and now since i am old enough to set out on my own it doesnt matter what they think. I am doing this for me not for those who do not understand or to impress anybody.

Old Hiker
01-16-2010, 20:54
Just a few thoughts:

When you ARE on the Trail and you hit the wall and wonder why you are doing this and all the negative comments come back to haunt you and discourage you, you can either agree with them and quit or use the thought of them smirking and saying "I told you so" to force yourself one more step, two more steps, one more mile, 10 more miles, hey, look, Katahdin's summit. (Or Springer SOBO!!)

Someone on Whiteblaze had a saying under their signature: no one is in charge of your happiness except you. Will you be happy? How will you know without trying? If not, at least you tried, which is something that they have not.

This is a lifetime achievement that you can reflect on later, either loudly and externally (see whiteblaze.net for some of THOSE people) or internally to carry you through later problems in life. (This isn't so bad.... I remember that time on the AT......) Ask any former Boy Scout who didn't make Eagle if they regretted not doing so.

Hike - enjoy - repeat!

birdog
01-16-2010, 23:15
Yes, the majority do end their hike early, however, the science behind the thought process of people who find it an absolute neccessity to try and discourage or demean someone else's goals IS sound. I understand a person being concerned over safety issues but to flatly denounce an attempt at a thru-hike is to put it lightly "overly concerned with things outside their circle of influence". If it sounds "uppity" to you then I would suggest not letting anyone live rent free in your mind.

excuses
01-16-2010, 23:21
I've done 4 years of sections now. First year was "your doing what?" Second year was "You did what?" Now it is "what are you going to do this year?" Hike your hike and enjoy.

Many Walks
01-16-2010, 23:45
cindellasaurus, it seems like most hikers have had people respond that way. While most people just don't get it, I also believe most people wish they had the courage to attempt anything in their life as significant as what you intend to do.

Pursue your dream, learn about the trail (lot's of great info in the forums on this site and people who are glad to help you), gather your gear, practice camping and cooking in your back yard, take shorter 2-3 day hikes to practice in the woods, save your money, and hike your thru when you feel you're ready. You might try to find a local hiking club to make more friends with similar interests.

Get your family and best friends a map of the AT so they can track your progress and send them pics/postcards along the way with short stories of the best people and places you've seen. If you tell the critics at home how tough it is they'll just try to get you to abandon your dream with “I told you so”. Line up a true supporting friend you can talk with who knows you may need to talk with them when you're feeling down on the trail, and you definitely will. It's not all sunshine, bunnies, and beautiful views. The AT has all sorts of ways to make hikers uncomfortable and want to quit. Feel free to vent to the folks on the trail on the bad days who are going through it with you as they'll understand. Most likely you'll all wind up laughing about how bad it can be to lift each other's spirits. It truly is amazing how hikers support each other out there.

When you've completed the trail you'll have great memories and a much bigger (and jealous) fan club for the accomplishment. If you don't make it all the way, but you gave it your best effort, that's all that you can ask of yourself and you can be just as proud of that. Bottom line is you'll never realize your dreams if you listen to your critics and don't try, but you will always have regret.

We wish you the best and enjoy your hike!

Miner
01-16-2010, 23:58
I feel like everyone I talk to about my upcoming thru-hike has something negative to say.
If you know they are going to be negative about it, then don't talk to them about your hike. Send them a note as you leave saying bye. I kept pretty quiet abiout my plans until the last week when I started to pack up as I didn't want to be talked out of it.

YoungMoose
01-16-2010, 23:59
Tell them to go **** off nicely and just prepare yourself mentally and stay posotive. THats what i do becuase everyone in school thinks im awkward since i like to to backpacking.

DapperD
01-17-2010, 01:22

Have any of the rest of you had to deal with people being really ..pukey.. about you hiking?There are always going to be people who will be quick to dash your dreams, realize that a lot of the time these people would most likely love to do what you are planning on doing, however for whatever reasons they simply can not or will not be able to do it, and so for them to put down your dreams becomes a safe and effective way for themselves to feel better about their own situations. It really has nothing much to do with your own dreams and desires.

Pony
01-17-2010, 01:31
Tell them to go **** off nicely and just prepare yourself mentally and stay posotive. THats what i do becuase everyone in school thinks im awkward since i like to to backpacking.

Yeah, you're wierd. :D

Pony
01-17-2010, 01:38
When I stopped at a hostel about a week into my attempted thru hike, I checked my email only to find an email from a supposed friend about how I had gone out on the trail to find myself and a whole bunch of other silly bull. The email was sent to a ton of people and I don't think it was intended to get to me, but it did. I was OK until the line where they said it would be entertaining to see me on Fox News being airlifted from the top of a mountain. I emailed them back and let them know how little they knew about me and the trail and then hit reply all, so that all the people he sent the email to could see my response. We haven't spoken since.

prain4u
01-17-2010, 03:23
I was OK until the line where they said it would be entertaining to see me on Fox News being airlifted from the top of a mountain. I emailed them back and let them know how little they knew about me and the trail and then hit reply all, so that all the people he sent the email to could see my response. We haven't spoken since.

I like your style! The above quote definitely describes one possible way to deal with those individuals who don't support you. It is an especially appropriate way of dealing with those jerks who are ACTIVELY working to undermine you!

Bronk
01-17-2010, 05:00
The day before I left for my hike I overheard my mom saying to my grandmother "he doesn't know what he's doing...he'll be back in 3 days..."

A lot of people thought I was an idiot for quitting a good job in the midst of a recession. And nobody was shy about saying so. But I've always found that if you are willing to work you can find a good job no matter where you go.

The people who were most supportive were casual acquaintances who heard about my plans. I eventually learned who to talk to about it and who to ignore...don't seek approval from your family and friends...if they aren't supportive, don't talk about it around them.

All the people who talk like this will be bragging about you later...my mom later once said "this is my son...he's the one I was telling you about that hiked over 800 miles through the mountains." The more they criticized you before, the more they will brag later. Don't let them get away with it either...when my mom said that I responded "well, my mother was never really supportive of me when I decided to do it, but I proved her wrong." She has never mentioned it since.

Don't talk about your hike with these kinds of people. You have to cut toxic people out of your life if you ever want to have your own life. Once you make that break something strange will happen: you'll realize that you can do anything you set your mind to, and a whole new world of possibilities opens up.

LIhikers
01-17-2010, 08:41

I'm going to venture and say that we've all experienced what you're going through. My wife and I are section hikers and people can't believe we go out for 1 or 2 weeks at a time. Either people "get it" or they don't. The ones that do are probably adventurers of one sort or another, the ones that don't, don't. But not to fret, follow your dream and the white blazes.
Happy hiking!

McPick
01-17-2010, 11:11
This brief exchange from the 1969 musical "Paint Your Wagon"
might help you put this situation into perspective...

Haywood Holbrook: "l guess there's two kinds (of people) in the world...
People who move, people who stay. Ain't that true?"

Ben Rumson: "No, that ain't true."

Haywood Holbrook: "Well, what's true?"

Ben Rumson: "Oh, there's two kinds of people...
Them going somewhere and them going nowhere, and that's what's true."

Whether you're going somewhere or nowhere is your choice...

Doctari
01-17-2010, 12:25
I had friends that would do that, & some did for my first section hike, I was only going to be on the trail for 10 days & I got the negative comments.
And, due to nothing related to that, I now have mostly different friends. Most are hikers or renaissance fair people, & don't consider anything too weird to do.
I don't need the support, all I need is from my wife & she supports my hiking %110, but it is nice to have most of your friends say "Hey, coooool! I always wanted to do that!"

So as others above have said, go hiking! IMHO: your true friends will still be there when you get back, the worthless ones will be gone. AND you will have hiked the AT & the non friends will be gone. A win win situation all around.

You may even get "Blind sided" by someone you would think would support your hiking, My dad said "why would you want to do that?" After a long talk, he changed his tune, but as he had introduced me to hiking and camping at age 3, it was a shock. It's all better now, but it could have taken the wind out of my sails quickly.

Airborne3325
01-17-2010, 13:48
I'll bet everything I own that the same people who are nay-saying now will be the proudest of your achievment upon a successful completion. When everything is said and done, they will still be your friends and family. They are not turning their back on you they are just 'looking out' for you. Another post said it best....they just dont get it!

See ya on the trail!

Flinx
01-17-2010, 19:28
As long distance hikers we are very much a minority. Most folk cannot understand how we actually enjoy the hardships and adversity of a long distance hike. Many consider an adventure to be a trip in a luxury automobile to a Holiday Inn, they have no idea of the satisfaction and adventure we derive from setting off down a trail with everything we need on our back. The delight of waking to the dawn chorus of the birds deep in the forest. The delight of brewing our morning coffee and enjoying our breakfast far from the civilized (or uncivilized) world. The excitement of packing camp and setting off in the early morning sun along trails new to us. The delight of a lunch by a babbling brook and the satisfaction of setting up camp at the end of the day, relaxing tired limbs, enjoying a good dinner and the company of the finest people you will ever meet.
Don't expect many people to share this delight in the outdoors, a few will and a few will lament that they never experienced such an adventure.
(Your age might be some of the reason, people close to you might be worried about your safety. They probably don't realize it is almost a non issue)
Very good post...i see it all the same way.

TEXMAN
01-17-2010, 20:27
AS I posted in many a shelter journey:

"A through hike? Are you crazy ,
that's what friends and family say
but those who think my plans are hazy
never get to see what I saw today!!!!"

O.M. River

buff_jeff
01-17-2010, 21:34
My friends didn't, and don't, care about my hiking/traveling adventures. I've accepted it by now. I hardly ever talk about hiking, but when I do they all get this look like, "Oh god, here he goes." It is what it is I guess. Hard to find people interested in this sort of thing.

Luckily, my dad has done a ton of hiking with me so he "gets it."

singing wind
01-17-2010, 23:26
cindellasaurus,
Welcome to the wild wonderful world of hiking and making your own choices. After years of listening to the naysayers I still find it's easier to walk than talk, and if good fortune should shine once in a while there may be those who are able to share hiking and travel stories - as much fun to listen as to talk - but they are usually few and far between. Writing and photography have been good outlets. Lots of good comments from previous posters.

Always concern from family and friends about being out in the woods or wherever and I feel I have to respect that as these are the people I come home to.

There was a brief, but interesting discussion with a hiker last summer about the inherent need to fulfill one's 'quest' or journey, and yet balance out those who may not understand or would be critical. The attempted first solo kayak crossing of the Tasman from Australia to NZ is one journey that comes to mind and there was a video made about it - although I don't remember the title offhand.

Good luck to you and as always - HYOH.

chief
01-17-2010, 23:57
Yes, the majority do end their hike early, however, the science behind the thought process of people who find it an absolute neccessity to try and discourage or demean someone else's goals IS sound. I understand a person being concerned over safety issues but to flatly denounce an attempt at a thru-hike is to put it lightly "overly concerned with things outside their circle of influence". If it sounds "uppity" to you then I would suggest not letting anyone live rent free in your mind.
Science behind thought process huh? Now that's really uppity! As for anyone living in my mind, they come and they go.

singing wind
01-18-2010, 00:15
Oops! Sorry, didn't mean to post in bold. Still getting used to posting.
Thanks.

sbhikes
01-18-2010, 00:41
There's people who don't support you and then there are people who think it's cool, except when they find out you plan to do something the "wrong way" and then they have to lecture you about the right way according to what they learned at some super expensive wilderness school that makes you haul around tons of excess "what if" crap just in case the wilderness turns out to be as big a boogy-man as they think it is. Look out for those people.

ClassicMagger
01-18-2010, 01:55
We must run in the same group of friends, because honestly I've completely given up on talking to any of them about my plans and the growing anticipation of leaving in 12 days makes it miserable. Because I'm ecstatic and all I hear is doubts and discouragements.

I've done a few 'adventures' we'll say and whoever said early in this thread that most of your 'friends' will not be around and the true ones stick it out is DEAD on. You really find out who is and who isn't your friend, which can be a little sad when it gets down to it, but it's what happens. I lost a fiance on my last 4 month adventure, but I'm better off knowing now then later.

Don't worry about any of the na-sayers they won't be there when you need encouragement on the trail people like those on this forum will be. And the best part is proving all those old friends wrong when you show up a new person.

Spokes
01-18-2010, 11:42
If there is no positive energy to feed on,
feed on the negative. It's still energy. It's all good.

JAK is right- sorta like a mechanic thinking his hands will never get greasy working on cars.

GrubbyJohn
01-22-2010, 13:53
I've done 4 years of sections now. First year was "your doing what?" Second year was "You did what?" Now it is "what are you going to do this year?" Hike your hike and enjoy.
i'm on my 3rd year of section hiking and that is allmost word for word what i get. and it makes me so proud to tell them whats up next. i also have a photo of the next high light of the trail on my desk top so it inspires me to keep hiking. everytime i log on there is my next goal.....

JustaTouron
01-22-2010, 14:51

Prove them wrong!

Case in point.

To say I wasn't the brightest kid in when I was in elementary school would be an understatement. One day I overheard my second grade teacher (it was her first year teaching) tell the special ed teacher that she doubted I would graduate high school. Obviously neither of them knew I was within earshot. It hurt at the time. But I said nothing about it to anyone, not her, not my parents, not my friends, no one. But I didn't forget it. Two days after I graduated college, I was at the door of her classroom after school let out. I told her my name and asked her if she remembered me. She said yes. She asked what I had been up to, I told her I graduated college on Saturday. She said something about always believing in me, I responded "[bovine manure]" I then recounted to her word for word the conversation she had with the SPED teacher, her face went white, she tried to apologize, I looked square in the eye, stuck out my tongue and then left.

There were many days that I didn't want to study, didn't want to go to class, but doubled my efforts just to prove the [female dog in heat] wrong. Not only wrong about high school, but college too. Fact is had it not been for my overhearing that, I probably wouldn't have graduated high school. She was my motivation. I lived for the day I could stick out my tongue at her.

My advice to you......

When your feet hurt. When the hills seem especially steep, just think of how sweet it will be to look at the doubters when you can look them in the face and say "you were wrong!" and also think about how embarrassing it will feel to come home having failed.

Jack Tarlin
01-22-2010, 15:00
I wouldn't worry over-much about what your friends think cuz when your trip is over and done with, you'll have all sorts of new ones, and I assure you, these guys will NEVER question you about why you like to hike. :D

And as was said by others, your friends and family will come around eventually, and after a few weeks of following your trip, the doubters will likely become your biggest supporters and the people most interested in your progress.

Lilred
01-22-2010, 18:00
Prove them wrong!

There were many days that I didn't want to study, didn't want to go to class, but doubled my efforts just to prove the [female dog in heat] wrong. Not only wrong about high school, but college too. Fact is had it not been for my overhearing that, I probably wouldn't have graduated high school. She was my motivation. I lived for the day I could stick out my tongue at her.

My advice to you......

So instead of doing something as infantile as sticking out your tongue, why didn't you THANK HER!!

JustaTouron
01-22-2010, 19:50
So instead of doing something as infantile as sticking out your tongue, why didn't you THANK HER!!

Two reasons.

1. I didn't realize that until a few days later.

2. The plan to stick my tongue out at her after high school graduation was something I decided to do when I was in 2nd grade. In 7th grade, I decided to wait until after college. Otherwise, I stuck with the pact I made with myself the night I cried myself to sleep. To put it terms relative to this board, if I hadn't stuck my tongue out at her it would have been like walking from Springer Mountain to Baxter State Park and then not climbing Katahdin. :banana

I bumped into about a month later. I thanked her then.

Graywolf
01-22-2010, 21:26
This is how I usually reply to those who speak negitives in my hike:

" Ar'nt you afraid of bears??"

No, I will get to experiance them without bars...

" You'll get mugged or shot"

well, I think i saw on the news there were 2 killings last night a few streets over, and a mugging at the mall..

You can't sleep on the ground"

Nope your absolutely right.. I will sleep in a tent or a shelter on a pad in a sleeping bag...

"Theres no showers...

Well then, I will just have to wash myself off, and I think our shower broke last week anyway, so whats the differance...

"You'll get rained on""

OK, theres my shower...

ETC. ETC>> ETC... These kinda answers usually shuts them up...

Johnny Appleseed
01-22-2010, 21:59
I have no experience like this. At first they were unsure of it being a goal I am gonna do, but when they knew I was serious I had tons of support. Step brother donated Tikka plus light and inflatable sleep pad. Parents gave money.

But remember this, when you hit the trail you will be immersed in a new world and you will hopefully not even bother w/ the little crap. Yes little crap. You have to do what you HAVE to do, and that is the BIG deal. Maybe they just need you to take a big step to the goal and have them see it, like night on end of research on the internet, or camp outside w/ your gear on a rainy night to make sure it is seale correctly. OR a AT OR BUST t-shirt made at the local print shop.

AT or BUST.

Johnny Appleseed
01-22-2010, 22:26
It's not where your are at, it's where your are going.

But did you see the jealousy in the eyes of those you had to leave behind.
Good song lyrics.

My dad watched some of the AT documentary that got me aware of the hike to begin w/. He liked it too. He was almost more pumped then me. He started reading a lot of Louise L'amor books after that-like all of them. My family travels A LOT. You will meet tons of friends. And then later if you decide to be a trucker, despite an accounting degree, you can stop and see all your friends scattered all over America. Oh wait that last sentence is my personal one.

Funny thing is life. I was a bit odd all my life. I had lots of friends but most were just less adventurous/weird. Then when I got on the AT I did not find anyone who was not like me at heart. Despite all the political, religious, professional/unprofessional views/beliefs/jobs they had they thought like me enough to know I could interact w/ them and enjoy it.

Dogwood
01-22-2010, 23:57

I don't intend this as a put down, but OH how very young and naive you sound Cindellasaurus. You are smacking right up against the naysayers. DO NOT let them discourage you! BE encouraged! VERY OFTEN in life, when one decides to live outside the status quo, think outside the box, attempt the perceived impossible, or accomplish something that others don't NORMALLY deem appropraite one can can expect opposition, sometimes violent opposition. You can almost count on it. KEEP your vision. ATTAIN the unattainable. REACH for the stars. WALK on water. DO NOT let the naysayers drag you down. BREAK out from the mediocre, mundane, fear filled, pride driven, limiting believing destructive lifestyle that SO many have learned to adopt. Guard your heart from jealousy, pride, resentment, bitterness, and anger as you achieve your dreams. Embrace wisdom. Most will not share your journey. Most will try to tear you down. They are acting in a manner that is customary. They may know no other way. Perhaps, just perhaps, your life may demonstrate to them that the impossible may not be so impossible after all! Try to surround yourself w/ folks that support you, even though they may not understand everything you are doing. The universe is waiting on you. I think, in the end, you will find that it's really not a matter of folks not understanding what you want to attempt, but having to believe in something when so many are accustomed to doubting - not believing. It comes down to a heart issue - a believing issue - not a head issue.

"If one advances confidently in the direction of one's dreams, and endeavors to live the life which one has imagined, one will meet with a success unexpected in common hours" Henry David Thoreau