PDA

View Full Version : Kindle Generally and Kindle Guide book

schraderdc
01-17-2010, 01:22
Anyone know of a decent guide book available in Kindle Version?

In general, I think I will start so slowly I will bring a Kindle to pass the time (short mileage to start - need a way to kill a few hours a day). The Kindle weighs less than a book...

Thoughts?

Helios
01-17-2010, 06:39
From my understanding Kindle reads .pdf documents. If this is so, you can download the online guide from ALDHA's website.

http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

Rocket Jones
01-17-2010, 09:55
The newest Kindles read .pdf right out of the box. You can download a free upgrade from Amazon to give older models the same functionality.

Grinder
01-17-2010, 10:00
I have a net book (astak brand) it reads lots of formats, but not Sony or Noble Books format among other private brands. I purchased it for the same reasons you mention. The days are long and my legs are weak at least for the first few days hiking.

I am a big fan of open source. The proprietary brands try to force you to buy your media from them. This will probably appeal to the "cost is no object" folks on this forum, but it offends me.

I have the trail guide available from this forum loaded on/in my ebook and carried the device on last years section hike.

I have to say the small screen makes it a bit hard to dabble with the guide. It's kind of cumbersome to get located. Once you're there It's fine.

I had no problem with keeping the unit safe while hiking, however, while motorcycle camping, I accidentally sat on it while fleeing a rain storm to my tent. This broke the screen, a $100 mistake.

I plan on carrying it on this years section hike through the Smokies.

rjc
01-28-2010, 08:33
I'm also an "open" guy and won't buy an e-reader as long as the content is locked to a particular provider. The idea of having 20 books with me on the trail and great battery life is really intriguing.

I'm surprised there aren't more responses to this thread. I suppose that means very few people that want books on the trail and especially want an e-reader?

max patch
01-28-2010, 08:37
I own a kindle and there is no way I would take it backpacking.

Spokes
01-28-2010, 09:01
I'll bet a donut we'll see somebody try to carry an Apple iPad on a thru-hike this year. Yep, right next to their alcohol stove. Mark my words.

JustaTouron
01-28-2010, 10:28
I'll bet a donut we'll see somebody try to carry an Apple iPad on a thru-hike this year. Yep, right next to their alcohol stove. Mark my words.

When do you figure "wireless hotspot" locations will start being added to the thruhikers companion? Right now it is only places that have computers you can use at libraries etc. At some point there is going to be clamor to add all the locations that someone with an 803.11 device can use.

Blissful
01-28-2010, 11:26
I'd worry about fancy electronics like that on the trail with moisture, cold, etc. But I also know someone who packed a small word processor to type a book, so you never know.

SGT Rock
01-28-2010, 11:31
I think eventually you will see something like the Kindle being very common for people backpacking - like a cell phone. I think they need to be a little lighter and cheaper. But imagine having multiple books and your guide available for the weight of one paper back. I think the iPhone now can read Kendle and probably Droid will too some day. I know I keep a copy of my guide for the BMT on my Smartphone in PDF and a copy of the Companion for reference of the AT so I can plan a hike while on the road or away from my house.

I plan to explore looking into porting a digital version at some point. Just worry about copies flying around without getting some form of compensation for the time and effort. Also, as I understand it, Kendles do well with text, but not so hot with images like profiles and town maps. I don't know for certain on that point.

Wheeler
01-28-2010, 11:37
I brought a kindle on the PCT last summer and loved it. Great battery life,too. I kept it in a gallon ziploc and made a little case out of a piece of Z-rest and some duct tape to slide it into;worked great. Haven't tried any guidebooks,but really enjoyed it and recommend it to anyone who likes to read a lot. I can't go anywhere without books, and this makes it so easy. You never have to worry about finishing a book and having nothing to read, or in my case,I've carried 2 books just so that wouldn't happen!

white_russian
01-28-2010, 12:02
When do you figure "wireless hotspot" locations will start being added to the thruhikers companion? Right now it is only places that have computers you can use at libraries etc. At some point there is going to be clamor to add all the locations that someone with an 803.11 device can use.
I would rather just a list be created and posted on the net for people to download. You only need that information if you have a wi-fi device and you can store that information on your device as well. No sense in adding extra pages when you don't have to.

Spokes
01-28-2010, 12:22

Now that's a great idea! But most people will probably balk at the idea........

Kinda like how the idea of micro-chipping thru-hikers so they wouldn't need to carrying a SPOT device went over like a lead balloon.

Hey it could still happen!

Rocket Jones
01-28-2010, 12:24
Kindles do well with text, but not so hot with images like profiles and town maps. I don't know for certain on that point.

I picked up a hiking book about Shenandoah NP for the Kindle and returned it (ie. deleted it and got a refund) because the maps were unreadable. The Kindle only zooms so far into a graphic.

I bought a hardcopy of the book instead. Much better. But I still love my Kindle.

JAK
01-28-2010, 12:28
Isn't it ironic that it can't be used for kindling.

Unless of course the noun becomes a verb, just as the verb became a noun.

Spokes
01-28-2010, 12:40
Isn't it ironic that it can't be used for kindling.

Unless of course the noun becomes a verb, just as the verb became a noun.

Give it time.

Pretty soon somebody will post a YouTube video up on how you can boil water with the darn thing or zelph will design an alcohol stove out of one.......

.....now where's my fiberglass wick?

JAK
01-28-2010, 12:50
Well that would be poetic justice, with the right download.

JAK
01-28-2010, 13:08
KILLOOLEET

There's a wonderful woodland singer
In the North, called Killooleet, ---
That is to say Little Sweetvoice
In the tongue of the Milicete,

The tribe of the upper Wolaastook,
Who range that waterway
From the blue fir hills of its sources
To the frogs and tides of the bay.

All day long in the sunshine,
All night long through the rains,
On the grey wet cedar barrens
And the lonely blueberry plains,

You may hear Killooleet singing,
Hear his O sweet
(Then a grace-note, then the full cadence),
Killooleet Killooleet Killooleet!

Whenever you dip a paddle,
Or set a pole in the stream,
Killooleet marks the ripple,
Killooleet knows the gleam;

Killooleet gives you welcome,
Killooleet makes you free
With the great sweet wilderness freedom
That holds over land and sea.

You may slide your birch through the alders,
Or camp where the rapids brawl,
The first glad forest greeting
Will still be the Killooleet's call.

Wherever you drive a tent-pin,
Or kindle a fire at night,
Killooleet comes to the ridge-pole,
Killooleet answers the light.

The dark may silence the warblers;
The heavy and thunderous hush
That comes before storm may stifle
The pure cool notes of the thrush;

The waning season may sober
Bobolink, bluebird, and quail;
But Killooleet's stainless transport
Will not diminish or fail.

Henceforth you shall love and fear not,
Remembering Killooleet's song
Haunting the wild waste places,
Deliberate, tranquil, and strong;

And you shall come without cunning,
But wise in the simpler lore,
To the House of the Little Brothers,
And God will open the door.

- Bliss Carmen

BrianLe
01-28-2010, 15:48
iPad: I don't get the appeal. Basically a giant iPhone without an actual phone, without a camera, and (TBD, don't know if anyone knows yet) possibly without a true GPS.

Ditto the kindle; IMO it's too big and too limited in functionality for me to want to carry on the trail. I had eBooks galore on my smartphone on the PCT in 2008 and will on the AT this year. I actually used them only infrequently in trail towns; trail life didn't leave me inclined to read much.

But a good smartphone does a number of things (http://postholer.com/smartPhone.html#List_Of_Uses); yes, the screen is smaller. No problem, bring small and light drugstore reading glasses. I find that I quickly forget the format and get wrapped up in whatever it is I'm reading.

Justatouron said:

"When do you figure "wireless hotspot" locations will start being added to the thruhikers companion? Right now it is only places that have computers you can use at libraries etc."

Yet another thing that I'm surprised isn't already well laid out by someone on the AT. With the bazillion people I understand that hike the trail each year I'm surprised at what volunteers have not put together for the trail, including this. For the PCT, Halfmile has been maintaining a list of wi-fi points along the way (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pS0jvh_AtcfuvsmC3yDuHDg&single=true&gid=0&output=html) for a couple of years now. It just takes someone to collect and maintain it online, and volunteers to report updates each year ... I gave him one or two plus some cell phone signal strength reports the year I went through, wasn't a big deal.

Anyway, for a thru-hiker, I suggest a smartphone as a much better trade-off to carry, assuming you're like me and the small screen is something you can live with. If interested in this approach, I wrote up some thoughts on selecting a smartphone (http://postholer.com/smartPhone.html)after my 2008 experience.

SGT Rock
01-28-2010, 15:58
I don't know about wi-fi hotspots on the BMT, I do list the only spot (it is about 10' in diameter) where you are likely to get cell phone coverage in about a 200 mile stretch.

leaftye
01-28-2010, 16:23
I'm also an "open" guy and won't buy an e-reader as long as the content is locked to a particular provider. The idea of having 20 books with me on the trail and great battery life is really intriguing.

I'm surprised there aren't more responses to this thread. I suppose that means very few people that want books on the trail and especially want an e-reader?

Same here, and I'm going to do it, but not with the crap Kindle or anything that works the same way. Frankly, most guidebooks are not available in ebook reader format and never will be. This is why I scan my own books in. At least real pdf viewers allow me to zoom in to whatever degree I desire. This becomes even more important with maps, like those downloaded from USGS/USFS. If you can't zoom in on those, they're worthless.

Anyway, I'm bringing a tablet that like the new iPad is about 1.5 lbs and gets about 10 hours of battery life, however, the one I'm bringing is actually a full computer, with a real operating system, which allows me to run any application I want and need. I'll be using it to bring 30-40 books that are relevant to the trail, including guidebooks, survival books, outdoor medicine, foraging and others. There are a few other things I'll use it for too, but that goes off topic.

Disney
01-28-2010, 16:26
I think eventually you will see something like the Kindle being very common for people backpacking - like a cell phone. I think they need to be a little lighter and cheaper. But imagine having multiple books and your guide available for the weight of one paper back. I think the iPhone now can read Kendle and probably Droid will too some day. I know I keep a copy of my guide for the BMT on my Smartphone in PDF and a copy of the Companion for reference of the AT so I can plan a hike while on the road or away from my house.

I plan to explore looking into porting a digital version at some point. Just worry about copies flying around without getting some form of compensation for the time and effort. Also, as I understand it, Kendles do well with text, but not so hot with images like profiles and town maps. I don't know for certain on that point.

I always swore I'd never get a Kindle for any reason whatsoever, but that's a good point. I'd love to have all of the identification guides, Birds/Trees/Flowers, but those things are so incredibly heavy. I've got a bird identifying app on my iphone. It's pretty neat. Eventually you'll be able to turn on an app, and identify a bird just by the call. That will really add to the experience, and be a fantastic teaching tool too.

BrianLe
01-28-2010, 17:32
For those that like a bigger screen view on things, some sort of media viewer glasses (such as these (http://www.myvu.com/)) might be an option --- hopefully the combination of a small (but fast, powerful) smartphone (essentially a micro-computer mated to a phone) plus viewing glasses could give the bigger screen impact without the size/bulk & weight penalty of a large screen device.

OTOH, viewer glasses would be another device that requires battery power, might not be that lightweight, might be a little fragile to carry around ... no experience with this, it just seems like an interesting alternate approach for those wanting a larger screen without having to carry around a large & heavy device.

I personally am content with the small cell phone screen for what I use it for, but I add a folding bluetooth keyboard (http://www.mobiletechreview.com/tips/stowaway_Bluetooth_Keyboard.htm) so I can more comfortably and quickly blog without frustration ...

Hobbot
01-28-2010, 18:10
I was considering a Kindle. I like to read, both on the trail and off. At first, I didn't see the appeal in the Kindle, but then I saw one in person. It is actually quite easy to read on.

Instead, I am using the Kindle app on my iPhone. Smaller screen and harder on the eyes, but I don't have to carry another device that might break (am already bringing the phone for the phone capabilities) and I don't need an external light source. And, the iPhone is significantly lighter than taking paperbacks.

However, I have been unable to find any guidebooks made for Kindle.

iPad: I don't get the appeal. Basically a giant iPhone without an actual phone, without a camera, and (TBD, don't know if anyone knows yet) possibly without a true GPS.

Unless Apple changes before shipping, it will not have a GPS.

SGT Rock
01-28-2010, 18:20
If the iPhone can read PDF, then you can get the ALDHA companion for it. It would be last years, but it would work.

I don't think any of the guidebook makers have ported to Kindle. I talked with Awol about porting his AT Guide for Kindle, but the graphics are probably not going to handle the stuff he has in his Guidebook.

I recommend doing what I did. I carried Awol's Book and had the companion on my phone. I used the guidebook when out on the trail, and in town I used Awol's book and the Companion for a cross reference.

Hobbot
01-28-2010, 18:40
If the iPhone can read PDF, then you can get the ALDHA companion for it. It would be last years, but it would work.

I don't think any of the guidebook makers have ported to Kindle. I talked with Awol about porting his AT Guide for Kindle, but the graphics are probably not going to handle the stuff he has in his Guidebook.

I recommend doing what I did. I carried Awol's Book and had the companion on my phone. I used the guidebook when out on the trail, and in town I used Awol's book and the Companion for a cross reference.

I don't mean to branch this thread but it is somewhat relevant...

Yea, I have downloaded the ALDHA to the iPhone, will have the paper copy of Awol's Book sections, and have scanned Awol's book to PDF as backup. I also have the notes from Whiteblaze, topo maps cached in the App iTopoMaps, and if I can finish this in time a custom iPhone App (I am a software engineer by profession). All in all, information overload and I probably won't use most of these resources.

But...I don't have the full trail descriptions found in the guidebooks. I have never found them to be necessary, but I do enjoy reading them.

SGT Rock
01-28-2010, 18:44
I don't mean to branch this thread but it is somewhat relevant...

Yea, I have downloaded the ALDHA to the iPhone, will have the paper copy of Awol's Book sections, and have scanned Awol's book to PDF as backup. I also have the notes from Whiteblaze, topo maps cached in the App iTopoMaps, and if I can finish this in time a custom iPhone App (I am a software engineer by profession). All in all, information overload and I probably won't use most of these resources.

But...I don't have the full trail descriptions found in the guidebooks. I have never found them to be necessary, but I do enjoy reading them.
Naw, branch off. That is what keeps these discussions relevant.

One thing I carried and found VERY useful is the set of Articles written by Jack Tarlin on resupply along the AT. If you haven't added that to your collection, I highly recommend you do so.

BrianLe
01-28-2010, 19:15
Hobbot said:

"Yea, I have downloaded the ALDHA to the iPhone, will have the paper copy of Awol's Book sections, and have scanned Awol's book to PDF as backup.
But...I don't have the full trail descriptions found in the guidebooks."

By "guidebooks" then, I presume you mean something different than the Companion or the AT Guide ...

Sgt Rock said:

"One thing I carried and found VERY useful is the set of Articles written by Jack Tarlin on resupply along the AT. If you haven't added that to your collection, I highly recommend you do so."

Right, beyond pdf, you can certainly save html pages to your iPhone and read those without requiring a current internet connection. Between pdf, plain text, MS Word format, and html, I find I can carry a lot of useful stuff, from first aid references to manuals for gear I'm carrying, lists of phone numbers, post office addresses, etc etc.

Hobbot
01-28-2010, 19:45
Hobbot said:

By "guidebooks" then, I presume you mean something different than the Companion or the AT Guide ...

Sorry, I guess I should have clarified...yea, by "guidebooks", I am thinking of the ATC guidebooks that have the text descriptions of the trail (for example, "trail will stay level for .2 miles and then you will reach a sharp incline with switchbacks after passing a small stream", etc...). I consider the Companion or the AT Guide more as "databooks".

The "databooks" are by far more useful but the "guidebooks" can be interesting to read.

Hobbot
01-28-2010, 19:46
Naw, branch off. That is what keeps these discussions relevant.

One thing I carried and found VERY useful is the set of Articles written by Jack Tarlin on resupply along the AT. If you haven't added that to your collection, I highly recommend you do so.

Thanks for reminding me to copy them!

Blue Jay
01-29-2010, 11:46
I have always regarded reading books on a computer with horror. After reading this thread now I have to do so. Damn you tech nerds.:mad:

Kerosene
01-29-2010, 12:26
iPad: I don't get the appeal. Basically a giant iPhone without an actual phone, without a camera, and (TBD, don't know if anyone knows yet) possibly without a true GPS.From the review I read yesterday, there is no GPS. There is a built-in compass and accelerometer, and the 3G models will provide approximate positioning via cell tower positions. With a USB slot (hard to believe), I'm not sure how Garmin will be able to offer something.

Spokes
01-29-2010, 13:12
No flash support, camera, or usb are deal killers for me on the iPad- and I'm a Apple guy!

dzierzak
01-29-2010, 13:15
Kindle - I've loaded the Companion (2009) on the Kindle. The 3.5x5 screen makes the print on each page quite small. This version of Kindle does not allow zooming of PDFs, so I need my glass to read it. The tables look OK as do the town maps. It might be an interesting way to take that info along.

ed

Hobbot
01-29-2010, 14:36
I have always regarded reading books on a computer with horror. After reading this thread now I have to do so. Damn you tech nerds.:mad:

Hahaha, sorry :p

I have grown up with computers, have to stare at a screen for way too many hours of the day, and have to read a decent amount of webpages and technical papers on the computer. But, regardless of the vast improvements in tech gadgetry, I still prefer to read paper books. Sometimes though, paper books are simply not convenient.

BrianLe
01-29-2010, 15:21
"Kindle - I've loaded the Companion (2009) on the Kindle. The 3.5x5 screen makes the print on each page quite small. This version of Kindle does not allow zooming of PDFs, so I need my glass to read it. The tables look OK as do the town maps. It might be an interesting way to take that info along."

As a point of comparison I do okay at this with my smartphone. My phone's screen is 2-1/4" high by 1-3/4" wide. The tabular data actually works out okay by default; for some reason the elevation number is printed vertically (one digit stacked on top of the other) and the last digit of the "Miles from Katahdin" wraps around, but it really is okay, it works. Pretty small to look at the tabular data without reading glasses, but I can do so (not worth getting glasses out for a glance at one or two rows of this tabular data). It's actually still useable if zoomed (larger), but a little more weird to figure out.

The pdf viewer on my smartphone does (easily) zoom, and for reading the actual text, this works great, no problem.

The town maps aren't too useful on the smartphone, however. I can only zoom so much, and the text labels are hard to read even with a magnifying glass. But for the vast amount of information in the guidebook, the biggest issue in having it on my phone is the time required to navigate to and load the appropriate pdf and then scroll or search for what I want. OTOH, the ability to search for town names or shelter names or whatever can occasionally be a benefit.

Overall I'm sure that hard copy is a lot easier to work with, but the smartphone really isn't a bad option, at the least as a way of carrying a second set of such town & shelter related data at no weight penalty.

prain4u
01-31-2010, 03:54
It is just one more ("semi-expensive") gadget to get wet, dropped, or ruined. It is also one more thing that you need to secure from theft and keep "charged". OUESTION: How well does it work in "paperweight mode"?

SGT Rock
01-31-2010, 11:19
Probably makes a good stake hammer or a nice portable table top.

Foyt20
01-31-2010, 15:07
From the review I read yesterday, there is no GPS. There is a built-in compass and accelerometer, and the 3G models will provide approximate positioning via cell tower positions. With a USB slot (hard to believe), I'm not sure how Garmin will be able to offer something.

Garmin offers bluetooth gps pucks so that could be a solution. I personally am not interesting in the ipad though. My smartphone takes care of all of that stuff for me :D

Hahaha, sorry :p

I have grown up with computers, have to stare at a screen for way too many hours of the day, and have to read a decent amount of webpages and technical papers on the computer. But, regardless of the vast improvements in tech gadgetry, I still prefer to read paper books. Sometimes though, paper books are simply not convenient.

Its interesting that you say this. I just got a sony e-reader a week ago, and although I work in IT staring at screens all day, the e-paper is an interesting medium to look at. Unlike a computer screen, it does not produce light, and it is not a "shinny" screen. It actually appears as sort of a moving paper. Its interesting to think of some of the applications that will come out in the near future. A paper thin screen that is pliable is probably going to arrive in the near future.

rjc
01-31-2010, 22:20
Kindle - I've loaded the Companion (2009) on the Kindle. The 3.5x5 screen makes the print on each page quite small. This version of Kindle does not allow zooming of PDFs, so I need my glass to read it. The tables look OK as do the town maps. It might be an interesting way to take that info along.
Thanks, I was wondering how readable the Companion is on the Kindle.

Does it weigh 10.2 oz like the say?

prain4u
02-01-2010, 04:44
Let's see.........20-50 books? Check! Cell phone? Check! Word Processor? Check! Email capability? Check! Spreadsheet capability? Check! Internet and/or WiFi capabilities? Check! Ability to play music? Check! GPS and maps? Check! Power sources for all of the electronics? Check!

I have a crazy idea.....why not just stay back at the office? You are practically bringing the entire office with you anyway.

I understand that hiking is a very personal affair. Deep down, I really do want to respect that concept. Hike Your Own Hike.

However, the idea of bringing so much technology with you on the trail really blows my mind. I cannot even begin to fathom why someone would even want to bring all of those capabilities with them into the woods. It is a completely foreign concept to me.

Really...if you want all of that stuff....why not just stay back at the office? I am being somewhat serious.

I think MOST people go hiking to somewhat get away from all of the usual trappings of society and the workplace. Therefore, I don't understand this need or this desire to bring all of your electronic stuff with you.

I apologize for stepping on any toes with my comments. I am not trying to throw rocks at anyone. I am simply having trouble wrapping my mind around this electronic style of hiking.

BrianLe
02-01-2010, 05:58
Hi prain4u. I appreciate your approach here --- i.e., "trying to wrap your mind around", rather than super or slamming, so in that spirit ...

20 - 50 books: on my smartphone I carry a couple of first aid type eBooks. On the off-chance something bad happens, and I had a little time after the real "first aid" stuff was dealt with, there's always a chance that some ideas in there could really help. Not super likely, but a possibility. The other eBooks I have are handy infrequently for me if I'm cooling my heels in a trail town and a bit bored. Sometimes I just feel like being lazy and reading!
Plus a the AT Companion in pdf format, just an alternative to either more paper or not having it.

Cell phone: Highly useful, again, infrequently, but for connecting with my wife at home while I'm thru-hiking. On occasion calling ahead to see if space is available in a hostel, making a motel reservation, maybe connecting with someone I had been hiking with who might be ahead of behind me.

Related is internet ability: nice sometimes to have a weather report, or even trail reports. The latter were certainly helpful on the PCT to find out about fire closures before others I was hiking with were aware.

Internet, and/or email and word processing allows me to blog as I go, rather than ask someone else to help me with this --- I can just do it myself as I go. Email is also an alternative way to connect with my wife or friends. Several months is a long time to be apart from folks; I'm mostly "where I am" when hiking, but once in a great while it's good to be able to connect.
Wi-fi is just a connection tool for internet and email.

Music: a lot of people bring an MP3 player along, I don't think that particularly relates to your "might as well be in the office" comment. Whether a person "should" listen to music or to an audio book while hiking is a different issue, but one I think more folks would agree is indeed just a HYOH thing.

Power sources for electronics: well, yes, if you're going to bring it, you have to power it somehow --- I don't see anything to quibble about there (?).

Some uses you left out: map and/or GPS. Voice recorder --- handy to make notes on the trail about things I want to do in the next trail town. Camera --- my smartphone is my camera, and weighs about the same as a standalone camera (which also needs to be powered).

The "why not just stay back at the office" question suggests to me that you have a sense that electronics are sort of inherently tied to office use. I wear shoes in the office, but I don't think of them as an "office-only" piece of clothing. Okay, that's not a great analogy, but my point is that electronic devices aren't inherently for one and only one purpose.

The other assumption that some folks seem to make is that if a person carries an electronic device that it's necessarily being used a lot (too much) in the woods and/or that it's getting in the way of experiencing the wilderness or something along that line. Certainly that can happen, but a person that carries a device along to do certain specific tasks isn't automatically spending all of their time with the device, or bringing their office work with them on the trail (!).

The idea of hiking to get away from "all of the usual trappings of society and the workplace" --- it feels to me as if you might have sharper distinctions in mind between different types of "trappings". Most hikers wear some sort of high-tech synthetic clothing. A cannister stove is the product of a pretty high-tech civilization (I think a blacksmith might have a challenge hammering one out ...). Modern shoes, pack, sleeping bag, etc ... these are all, to me, trappings of a high-tech society.

I don't think that a smartphone has to get in the way of a wilderness experience any more than any other product of our current technology. Of course I don't object (might think it pretty cool) if a person wanted to pick some lower level of technology and be true to that in their hiking --- anything from hunter-gatherer stone-age level to medieval or whatever. But for me, at least, distinguishing between various current-techology devices is a little arbitrary, so long as the way that people *use* those devices indeed doesn't go too far in isolating them (or worse, others around them) from the wilderness experience --- and even that's somewhat arbitrary, some might argue for example that wearing any form of clothing/footwear "isolates" use from the wilderness ...

To be clear, I'm not trying to argue with you, just giving reactions. Sorry to be so verbose, it's just difficult to really address this with a few sound-byte responses ...
And I certainly don't think of my reactions as somehow "right" and yours or others "wrong"!

ShelterLeopard
02-01-2010, 12:48
I just bring a copy of Fantasy & Science Fiction lit mag. on the trail.

prain4u
02-01-2010, 14:33
....The other assumption that some folks seem to make is that if a person carries an electronic device that it's necessarily being used a lot (too much) in the woods and/or that it's getting in the way of experiencing the wilderness or something along that line. Certainly that can happen, but a person that carries a device along to do certain specific tasks isn't automatically spending all of their time with the device, or bringing their office work with them on the trail (!).....

And I certainly don't think of my reactions as somehow "right" and yours or others "wrong"!

Brian: Overall, you and I are actually not that far apart on the technology issue--either in theory or in practice. I am not "techno-phobic"--and my digital camera, cell phone and radio usually do come with me on a trail. Almost any technology can be good---but technology is probably best used in moderation on the trail (in my opinion).

The paragraph, that I quoted above, is at the heart of my argument. As one reads some of the posts on WhiteBlaze--it appears as if SOME people DO indeed want to stay extremely connected to the outside world and their office. THAT is group that I am referring to when I say--"you might as well stay back at the office".

There is (in my opinion) a big difference between the person who brings a fully loaded SmartPhone and the person who brings a Kindle and/or a full laptop computer (plus a phone, camera, iPod etc).

There is a big difference between carrying a couple of books with you (either paper copy or electronic) and carrying 20-50 books with you on a Kindle or a computer (plus bringing internet access with you too!)

There is a big difference between the person who uses a cell phone in order to have brief contact with home every 1-3 days--and the person who is spending lots of time talking, texting and emailing on their phone. There is a big difference between journaling a few electronic notes via a SmartPhone--and electronically writing the equivalent of an entire book.

I have a difficult time relating to the concept of hiking on the trail but still staying fully-connected to the outside world for a few hours each day. I can't imagine myself walking down the trail listening to an iPod while simultaneously texting a friend via a cellphone (and on a rest stop taking time to read one of the 40 books that I have loaded onto my Kindle). If I wanted to do all of that, I could have stayed home! :D

BrianLe
02-01-2010, 14:57
"I have a difficult time relating to the concept of hiking on the trail but still staying fully-connected to the outside world for a few hours each day."

Yup, you and I are not that far apart! I'm with you on the above quote. I do, however, sometimes use an MP3 player if I want some inspiration to do a long climb or when hiking alone and in a pretty boring "green tunnel" zone for a while, but each to his/her own on that.

I don't, however, see a difference between carrying "a couple of books" vs. carrying 20-50 books. Having more eBooks just gives me more options when I do feel like reading, at no additional weight. And for me, distinguishing between a digital book and a paper book is not that far from saying that folks shouldn't use digital cameras, but instead stick to brownie (http://www.brownie-camera.com/) cameras with actual film, as God intended it ... :-)
Or perhaps they should just do pencil or watercolor drawings.

In any event, bottom line for me isn't the technology we bring into the woods, it's how we use (and indeed often how we don't use) it or abuse it. I hope that if I'm typing up my daily trail journal entry at a shelter picnic table somewhere that I don't get too many lectures from people about how my use of technology is spoiling my (or their) "wilderness experience" ... :-)

white_russian
02-01-2010, 15:06
Folks can knock on technology all they want, but they better be out there with wool blankets and waxed cotton tarps or else they are hypocrites. The whole tech discussion focuses on things dealing with the transistor when in actuality technology has given us lots of things like silnylon and goretex.

rjc
02-01-2010, 18:02
Folks can knock on technology all they want, but they better be out there with wool blankets and waxed cotton tarps or else they are hypocrites. The whole tech discussion focuses on things dealing with the transistor when in actuality technology has given us lots of things like silnylon and goretex.
I have to agree 100%. For me backpacking is about getting away from the normal grind, spending time outdoors with lots of time to let my mind wander as well as time to just relax. Technology is a means to that end. I don't carry a cell phone, or mp3 player, but I do carry a digital camera and an LED headlamp. I love lightweight things (silnylon, etc.) because they let me focus less on my hiking conditioning and more on just relaxing and enjoying the outdoors.

Years ago I got hooked on laying in a hammock and reading a book and that's often a big part of my vacation. I may hike fewer miles or even have a half day of hiking just to have another half day of reading and sleeping in a hammock.

If I didn't use the last decades of technology my pack would probably weigh 10 lbs more and I'd have a lot less freedom in doing what I want to do. I think technology really lets me enjoy getting away from it all. I don't feel more connected to the "real world" in any way because of it.

But I've seen the guys with a portable DVD player, a 6 pack of beer, and texting their friends from the shelter and I have to wonder why they're out there!

leaftye
02-01-2010, 20:59
I do not see how bringing (e)books is refusung to get away from the office.

Powder River
02-01-2010, 21:47
Let's see.........20-50 books? Check! Cell phone? Check! Word Processor? Check! Email capability? Check! Spreadsheet capability? Check! Internet and/or WiFi capabilities? Check! Ability to play music? Check! GPS and maps? Check! Power sources for all of the electronics? Check!

I have a crazy idea.....why not just stay back at the office? You are practically bringing the entire office with you anyway.

I understand that hiking is a very personal affair. Deep down, I really do want to respect that concept. Hike Your Own Hike.

However, the idea of bringing so much technology with you on the trail really blows my mind. I cannot even begin to fathom why someone would even want to bring all of those capabilities with them into the woods. It is a completely foreign concept to me.

Really...if you want all of that stuff....why not just stay back at the office? I am being somewhat serious.

I think MOST people go hiking to somewhat get away from all of the usual trappings of society and the workplace. Therefore, I don't understand this need or this desire to bring all of your electronic stuff with you.

I apologize for stepping on any toes with my comments. I am not trying to through rocks at anyone. I am simply having trouble wrapping my mind around this electronic style of hiking.

I carried an ipod, a smart phone, a bluetooth keyboard and a digital camera. If I thru hiked again I would probably carry an iphone loaded with every app and document that could possibly be useful, a mifi wireless network hub (creates a wifi network from the 3G signals), a camera with a wifi SD card (uploads the pictures I take to the web live via wifi), an ipod and some sort of e-reader. (Kindle is too heavy though- I'd find a 5 ounce e reader)

I also carry a tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, headlamp, trekking poles, clothing, shoes etc. that include very advanced technologies in fabrics and manufacturing, manufactured in all corners of the globe and shipped to my doorstep for a penance of the the cost thanks to modern global economics and highly advanced cargo ships, ports, trucks, highway systems, communications etc. that would have been mind boggling a century ago. I buy food at ultramodern grocery stores that have been built up and down the trail, which are the staggering pinnacle of centuries of advancements in agriculture, agronomics, food preservation, packaging, refrigeration, shipping, market research and advertising. Their very existence is the expression of a wealthy, global society.

I see no difference between this stuff and the electronics I carry. Just another tool in the pack to do what I want to do. You just gotta decide which century you live in, and whether you are going to accept certain technologies and reject others.

prain4u
02-02-2010, 02:04
http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_mar2006/RedneckWireless.jpg

A modern thru hiker. (Just kidding).

rjc
02-10-2010, 13:30
For what it's worth.... I got a 6" Kindle 2. It weighs 10.2 oz as advertised, not including the charging cable which weighs a few oz. I agree with other comments that the AT Companion reads fine if you rotate the page display.

dzierzak
02-11-2010, 13:05
Thanks, I didn't think to rotate the display - I don't need my glasses to read the Companion!

Blue Jay
02-11-2010, 13:17
I have no problem with nicotine adicts bringing cigarettes or alcoholics bringing alcohol or celbots bringing their machines to the trail. There is plenty of room for all.:welcome

Wise Old Owl
02-11-2010, 13:19
most cell phones can display .txt documents if you want to store notes. A larger document gets 'broken' into smaller docs for you to navigate with. So I store some reminders and pictures in my phone.

Blue Jay
02-11-2010, 13:26
I also carry a tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, headlamp, trekking poles, clothing, shoes etc. that include very advanced technologies in fabrics and manufacturing, manufactured in all corners of the globe and shipped to my doorstep for a penance of the the cost thanks to modern global economics and highly advanced cargo ships, ports, trucks, highway systems, communications etc. that would have been mind boggling a century ago. I buy food at ultramodern grocery stores that have been built up and down the trail, which are the staggering pinnacle of centuries of advancements in agriculture, agronomics, food preservation, packaging, refrigeration, shipping, market research and advertising. Their very existence is the expression of a wealthy, global society.

I do also but actually it's mind boggling NOW. You also have to ask yourself, "do you feel lucky punk?". Just how long can this house of cards survive? Your post is exactly why we need to hike NOW.

Powder River
02-22-2010, 18:38
http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_mar2006/RedneckWireless.jpg

A modern thru hiker. (Just kidding).

But there's a huge difference between this guy and the modern thru hiker: he's wearing COTTON! And that wallet probably weighs at least 6 ounces... :D:D

se7enty
06-09-2010, 15:34
i'm bringing my kindle. AND A CELL PHONE!!!!! omg freak out!

i read every night, and i'm in the middle of 3 different books right now, so carrying all that is just not practical. carrying one small electronic device, that weighs less than a book, that goes 4+ weeks without charging, makes MUCH more sense to me. i mean, if you enjoy the extra weight, by all means hyoh.

any recommendations for a case for the kindle?

my cell phone (iphone) has gps & trail maps loaded. i don't intend on making any phone calls, unless they're emergency, or accessing the internet. just because i have that feature on my electronic device doesn't mean i'm going to sit there in the woods and type up proposals to clients.

old people make me lol

SunnyWalker
12-27-2010, 12:47
I have a Sony pocket edition eBook Reader. I am using it more and more and downloading books more often then ever. I'll be sure to get ALDHA book. Thanks to this thread! The Sony will receive pdf and other files. Will do alot of library stuff others won't also. Not hooked into B and N. I have enjoyed it and wonder about the weight though of any eBook reader. I find a lot of things to do on the trail and when resting. But it IS great to have a book along. So I'll probably give it a try. these eBook readers are a great invention, aren't they? Now the iPad-does it have or could it come with a gps included? -Chaplain

TheChop
12-27-2010, 13:11
Loaded up the ALDHA Companion on my new Kindle. It works perfect. The town maps are great on it. I'm going to try and throw a USGS quad on here and see how it works. Probably not well but you could make some script to chop it up into manageable sections.

TheChop
12-27-2010, 14:10
The USGS map works much better than expected but it's still not useable. If you divided a quad into fourths it'd probably do alright with it.

Harrison Bergeron
12-27-2010, 15:09
Odd this thread wasn't revived when the 3G version came out. For $50 less than the original Kindle, you no longer need Wi-Fi and you get FREE 3G broadband forever. Looking at the coverage map, I'd say they're using Verizon or AT&T, though they don't say. In any case, they seem to have the AT covered.

Other than the fact that you can take along an entire library for the weight of a paperback, it seems like somebody would have noticed that the Kindle comes with a web browser and a keyboard. That means you can email the family, arrange a shuttle, and file your log without tracking down a public library.

It can be recharged with only a USB cable connected to a computer (OK, now you need a library). Or you can add one ounce for a USB charger adapter.

But the best part is that it runs for up to a month on a SINGLE CHARGE.

I hope they shrink it a little in time for my hike, but as-is, it's sure tempting. I'm still hoping one of the new smart phones with an E-ink display shows up by next May.

Rocket Jones
12-27-2010, 15:16
My son got the newest generation Kindle for Christmas, and it keeps getting smaller without sacrificing screen size. The contrast is much better too.

The Wi-Fi-only version is even cheaper.

TheChop
12-27-2010, 15:28
My son got the newest generation Kindle for Christmas, and it keeps getting smaller without sacrificing screen size. The contrast is much better too.

The Wi-Fi-only version is even cheaper.

It's truly a great little device. There's also a few games available on it. Decent little strategy and word games on it that can help pass the in tent time. My only concern is cracking/breaking the screen. The waterproof case I also got for Christmas is super light as well.

Also every John Muir book is $0.00 for it!

Rowdy Yates
12-27-2010, 16:08
Do any of you have any knowledge or experience with Literati (The Sharper Image) eReaders? .pdf files can be downloaded to it and used and the price seems to me reasonable. The web address is http://www.literatireader.com

CinciJP
12-27-2010, 19:29
I've found MobiPocket Creator to be great at converting PDF's into the format for a Kindle, since reading a PDF on a Kindle makes you scroll left and right and zoom.

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/downloadsoft/productdetailscreator.asp

CinciJP
12-27-2010, 19:30
Oh, and it's free. :)

wannahike
12-27-2010, 20:11
[QUOTE=JonGalt;1084597] it seems like somebody would have noticed that the Kindle comes with a web browser and a keyboard..

But have you tried to use the browser? Really, really fiddlely. When I tried it earlier this year if reminded me of web tv.

I have no problem using the kindle app for the iphone. I like not having to rig up a flashlight to read and I can increase the text size if needed. I take the sim card out and a charge lasts a lot longer.

RichardD
12-27-2010, 23:27
I have used the Sony bookreader for the last 2 or 3 years. It has been great.
Books have to be downloaded to computer then transferred to the bookreader so you have to get your books together before you start the hike. Battery lasts me between a week and 10 days with about an hour of reading per night and several looks at the trailguide through the day. Battery life is seriously shortened if one uses the backlight, I dont when backpacking, I use my headlamp.
My wife recently purchased the NOOK (Barnes and Noble bookreader), it has much better contrast and downloads books directly through WiFi similar I guess to the Kindle. I don't think battery life comes close to the Sony.
I am beginning to get a bit disappointed with the book selections from Sony, I don't think it is as comprehensive as B&N or Amazon. I will have to research whether I can put Amazon e books onto my Sony.
I carry about 50 books with me for the weight of one.

bobp
12-28-2010, 10:18
I love my Kindle, and I can see the attraction that E-book readers would have for travelers trying to reduce weight. My main problem with using it on the trail is all the rain that I tend to attract. I've had multi-day stretches where only my sleeping bag stayed dry (where "dry" is less than 25% wet :^) ).

So, to ask a question -- does anyone have any tips for weatherproofing these devices?

Rocket Jones
12-28-2010, 12:28
So, to ask a question -- does anyone have any tips for weatherproofing these devices?

Gallon ziplock.

busch
12-28-2010, 14:00
Do any of you have any knowledge or experience with Literati (The Sharper Image) eReaders? .pdf files can be downloaded to it and used and the price seems to me reasonable. The web address is http://www.literatireader.com

The Kindle 3 can read PDF files natively. While looking at the Literati my conclusion is this is NOT a good option if you are going to be away from power for a significant amount of time. The main difference is the screen; the Literati uses a color display similar to your laptop, which requires a backlight and dramatically shortens your battery life. The kindle/Nook/Sony readers are greyscale only and have no backlight, the technology is called "e-ink".

The best way to describe e-ink is that it works similar to an etch-a-sketch. Where a magnetic charge moves black "ink" pellets to the screen, creating the image. Once the image on the screen the device uses no power to keep it there.

I just bought a kindle a couple weeks ago and I cannot wait to get it on the trail.

Awol2003
12-28-2010, 16:00
A "native format" Kindle version of The AT Guide is not (currently) possible because of the graphic overlays. The Kindle reads PDF, but my year-old Kindle does *not* display it very well. Even rotated, images like the town maps of the Companion or of The AT Guide are not easy to read. Maybe that has changed. If anyone has a new Kindle and would like to try out The AT Guide, let me know and I'll send a sample PDF. If it works, and you really want to thru-hike with a Kindle, I'll provide a personal-use PDF for a few people who've bought the hardcopy.

There is currently a publisher promotion for "AWOL on the AT"; the Kindle version is on sale for $3.99.

busch
12-28-2010, 16:29
A "native format" Kindle version of The AT Guide is not (currently) possible because of the graphic overlays. The Kindle reads PDF, but my year-old Kindle does *not* display it very well. Even rotated, images like the town maps of the Companion or of The AT Guide are not easy to read. Maybe that has changed. If anyone has a new Kindle and would like to try out The AT Guide, let me know and I'll send a sample PDF. If it works, and you really want to thru-hike with a Kindle, I'll provide a personal-use PDF for a few people who've bought the hardcopy.

There is currently a publisher promotion for "AWOL on the AT"; the Kindle version is on sale for $3.99.

I few weeks ago I got the new Kindle and have been putting it thought it's paces. I'll test out a sample of the AT guide feel free to carve out a small section and send it on over. Although I doubt the Kindle 3 is any different than the Kindle 2 in how they handle PDF, but it's worth a shot. Just send me a PM.

BTW: I'm only 40% through the book, so far I'm enjoying it and can't wait to head out myself in March. It was the first book I bought on the Kindle, the sale definitely influenced me to pull the trigger and get the ebook in addition to the hardcopy I already have.

jeepcachr
12-28-2010, 16:32
The backlit devices are going to measure battery time in hours, the e-ink devices like the kindle measure battery time in weeks.

I received a Kindle3 for Christmas. So far I really like it. I'm planning to hike with it.

QiWiz
12-28-2010, 16:40
Guidebooks: check (AT Companion and AWOL's - talk to him to get this)
Books to read: check (as many as you want, Kindle for iPhone; others)
Camera: check (5 megapixel; video also pretty good)
Journaling: check (can record voice files or enter text; send them out)
GPS: check (apps to show your location on USGS quads; other trail maps)
Music: check
Compass: check
Carpenter's level: check (to make sure shelter or tent site is level ;))
Entertainment: check (games, books, even movies if you like)
Reference Library: check (bird and tree identification, etc.)

Oh yeah . . . in the rare event you can get a cellular or wireless signal, can also make phone calls, surf the internet, check email, post photos and journal entries to a person or website, check the weather forecast, order pizza, etc.

- Weight: 4.9 oz; headphone add another 0.4 oz
- Waterproof but still useable in a closed Aloksak or even a lowly ziplock
- Rechargeable with electric outlet when available, or solar charger, or AA battery charger with AA's purchased as you go resupply or in your maildrops (charger is 1.8 oz; 4 lithium AA's are another 2 oz, alkaline a bit heavier)

***** :banana *****

busch
12-28-2010, 17:10
rare event you can get a cellular or wireless signal

Isn't that a general theme with the iPhone and AT&T :D

All things aside, smartphones are great for shorter hikes, but I wouldn't carry one for thru with the intent on reading a book. A solid month of battery life on the Kindle means I can read for hours and hours a day w/out having to worry about battery life.

vamelungeon
12-28-2010, 17:22

Thanks for the heads up! I just bought it.
I received a Kindle for Christmas, the wi-fi version. I think with some padding and a zip lock it would work out fine on a hiking trip. Considering the number of books it holds, the battery life and the availability of free content for it (Amazon has thousands of free books for it) and it's small size/light weight, it is a natural for readers who hike, or hikers who read.

busch
12-28-2010, 17:35
Thanks for the heads up! I just bought it.
I received a Kindle for Christmas, the wi-fi version. I think with some padding and a zip lock it would work out fine on a hiking trip. Considering the number of books it holds, the battery life and the availability of free content for it (Amazon has thousands of free books for it) and it's small size/light weight, it is a natural for readers who hike, or hikers who read.

My plan is to get a bubble-wrap sleeve or envelop like you would if you were mailing something, then keep that inside a ziploc bag. It would've protect against massive pressure, but it would keep it relatively save from falls and a small bit of force. It'd be cheap, light weight, and easily replaceable at post offices along the way.

JaxHiker
12-28-2010, 17:43
I've found MobiPocket Creator to be great at converting PDF's into the format for a Kindle, since reading a PDF on a Kindle makes you scroll left and right and zoom.

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/downloadsoft/productdetailscreator.asp

I haven't found this to be the case. I have literally thousands of PDF files that are mostly scans of the original texts. Unfortunately this means that a 4MB PDF generally turns into a 400MB (or larger) mobi file. I'm trying to find a good OCR engine that'll allow me to batch process PDFs to text.

I wish I could figure out how to get books I own outside of Amazon loaded into the library. My iPod Touch is much smaller than my Kindle and would allow me to take my books and music on a single device. I got stuck for a couple of days in the rain back in May and it would've been nice to have had something to read.

wannahike
12-29-2010, 17:06
Isn't that a general theme with the iPhone and AT&T :D

All things aside, smartphones are great for shorter hikes, but I wouldn't carry one for thru with the intent on reading a book. A solid month of battery life on the Kindle means I can read for hours and hours a day w/out having to worry about battery life.

So, when are you going to hike?:-? You will be re-supplying every week or so, it's easy enough to recharge then.

SunnyWalker
12-30-2010, 00:51
I had the Sony ebook Reader Pocket Ed. Still have it and its great. No glare when reading. Now I just purchased the Daily Edition of the Sony eBook Reader. Same quality and WiFi is free to use. Not all have that offered. Nice one to take a look at if you are shopping. -Chaplain

k1ypp
12-30-2010, 01:18
So many choices. I'm torn between a Kindle (battery life) and possibly the Ipad (features). Since I managed to carry homemade amateur radio equipment on my thru-hike I suspect keeping things dry won't be too much of a challenge for me.

I've just finished formatting my book, Three Hundred Zeroes (http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/34135), for Smashwords.com but haven't seen too much activity there yet. It's been a big mover on Kindle and of course, in print, but I was a bit surprised at the lack of activity on Smashwords. I guess at this point Kindle is the market leader by far? Either that, or most people get the Smashword product through the final vendors, such as Sony, Apple and Diesel. This is a new arena for me, so I really don't know.

I've also, just this week, posted the book on Nook (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/THREE-HUNDRED-ZEROES/Dennis-Blanchard/e/2940011977428/?itm=1&USRI=three+hundred+zeroes), but I don't think it has filtered down through all the corporate setup to make it show up much there yet either.

So, I'll have to ponder which viewer to go with. Being an author, maybe I should think about more than one since I really don't know what the end product looks like. From what I have seen, I like the Kindle display, it really does seem to be visible in sunlight, a plus for hiking.

Like I said, so many choices.

SunnyWalker
12-30-2010, 19:27
I went to the Sony eBook store to see if your book was there. Only at Smashwords, huh? i'll return and get it pdf. Smashwords looks real good and your books looks real interesting. Sony store-you are able to self publish also. What had happened to your brother?

Rick Hancock
12-30-2010, 21:08
I've owned a Kindle for 1 year. I use it almost every day 2-3 hours per day. My battery life is about 1 month on a full charge. I have used it on 2-3 day hikes and off road Mt Bike trips. It has survived "normal" hard use. I was more concerned about it traveling in my bike panniers than in my backpack.
I have a padded case made for the Kindle cost was about $25 and I felt it was worth it. I'm not sure if I would bring mine on a long distance trip although people have indicated no problems I would be more concerned about weather exposure than constant hard use. The flip side is that they are relatively inexpensive at $139 bucks. I have the Trail Guide downloaded on to mine, it was a bit of a hassle but I'm not the most savy computer person. The print is rather small but does include town maps etc.
Rick

slugger
01-04-2011, 11:15
I made the decision to get a kindle today and will be evaluating it on a few shake down hikes. It looks like the Kindle reads regular PDFs to I'm going to take the loose leaf guild book I bought and scan it into a computer into pdf format. Save some weight that way.

max patch
01-04-2011, 11:37
I own a kindle and there is no way I would take it backpacking.

Personally, I still wouldn't take my kindle backpacking.

However, as an early adapter my kindle cost $429 IIRC. The price is now down to $139 I believe. So if/when it breaks its not that a big a deal as it was a year ago.

Still wouldn't subject it to long distance backpacking but at the current price point can understand why others would want to take the risk.

JaxHiker
01-13-2011, 14:25
I figured out how to get my non-Amazon books onto my iPod Touch and it was great on my hike last weekend. My buddies took of for a couple of hours to explore the island some more and I stayed back and used to quiet time to almost finish the book I'd been reading. I finished later that night and was able to jump right into the next one while I was laying in my hammock before going to bed.

SunnyWalker
01-15-2011, 23:39
RichardD: The Sony eBook Reader "Daily Edition" 950 comes with a touch screen that is great. Also free Wi-Fi. You may download directly while using WiFi to the Reader bypassing a screen. I also have the Pocket Edition, on THAT one I have to go through a computer. But not with the Daily Edition. Take care. Also, check out eBook.com

Bob McCaw
01-16-2011, 00:25
It will be interesting to see how e-reading devices evolve. At present, I think a guidebook could be adapted to work well on a Kindle, but it would take a lot of work to do the job right. At present there are probably not enough Kindle users to justify the effort.

OTOH, I'll bet the day isn't too far off when the scales tip the other way.

SunnyWalker
01-29-2011, 23:32
There are alot of eBook Readers being used "out there". The real question is how make hikers have them and would take them on a thru hike or long hike.

k1ypp
03-02-2011, 00:11
I went to the Sony eBook store to see if your book was there. Only at Smashwords, huh? i'll return and get it pdf. Smashwords looks real good and your books looks real interesting. Sony store-you are able to self publish also. What had happened to your brother?

Didn't see your question until tonight Chaplain. My brother was killed in Vietnam a few days before the Tet Offensive in 1968. He was a Marine. I carried his Purple Heart Medal with me on the AT. Actually, that is what the subtitle of the book refers to: "Lessons of the Heart on the Appalachian Trail."

Incidentally, THREE HUNDRED ZEROES is now available on just about all the readers, including Sony, NOOK, Kindle, and probably some I don't even know about. It is also available on most of the foreign Amazon sites, such as Germany, UK, Canada etc.

Thanks again to all of the hikers that have read my story. The feedback and comments have been outstanding. You're truly world class, all of you.

Dennis "K1" AT 07/08
Author of: THREE HUNDRED ZEROES (http://tinyurl.com/2f74mdt): Lessons of the Heart on the Appalachian Trail

Mother Nature
03-02-2011, 08:55
I have the newest version of the Kindle (Generation 3). I love it and take it on the trail with me.

I carry it in a neoprene sleeve and store it in a gallon ziplock bag.

The only "issue" I have found is condensation. I often wake up at night and find reading a boring book relaxes me and I can get back to sleep. On cold nights I bring the Kindle inside the sleeping bag. The warmth of the bag on a cold kindle produces condensation on the screen. Not a really big issue.

SunnyWalker
03-03-2011, 23:03
K1ypp: I just ordered the book (eBook) of your work and bought it. I'm gonna go look at it and come back. Thanks. See ya in a few.

SunnyWalker
03-03-2011, 23:35
K1ypp: I am looking at your book on my Sony ebook reader. Easy and nice. Thanks K1ypp. I am going to start reading it tonight. Man, these ebook readers are great. I read where they are now going to start including ebooks on NY best sellers or something like that.

SunnyWalker
03-09-2011, 22:23
K1YPP: I just finished your book. Wow, it was a great read. Well worth the little amount I spent to get it. I mentioned that it downloaded easily to my MAC and then to my Sony ebook reader. Thanks a million. You really described life on the trail in a way I needed to hear. Many times these books and comments end up starting out good and the the focus shifts. So, thanks! Couple of comments: 1)The title was neat! (I figured it out and that was neat), 2)I was so glad to see you get off AT to get help with heart. Then you returned! Finished! After by-pass surgery! Inspiring. Way to go! I have some questions about your equipment but hopefully I will find answers at threehundredzeroes.com Thanks again for the wonderful book. The best I have read on the subject of a thru hike on the AT. -Chaplain

fredmugs
03-10-2011, 20:53
I saw some really thin bubblewrap this morning when I was doing a building inspection and it occurred to me that I could take my kindle and store it in there. Maybe even one of those mailing envelopes that already have the wrap inside.

I have the PCT maps on mine and they zoom in just fine. Here's a pic I just took

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/15MdvY9NR-ZyVaH7Tl6pDQ?feat=directlink

SunnyWalker
03-10-2011, 21:57
That would be a good lightweight way to protect it.

Skywalker
05-19-2011, 09:26
It will be interesting to see how e-reading devices evolve. At present, I think a guidebook could be adapted to work well on a Kindle, but it would take a lot of work to do the job right. At present there are probably not enough Kindle users to justify the effort.

OTOH, I'll bet the day isn't too far off when the scales tip the other way.
Honestly, I was a Johnny-come-lately as to the virtues of e-books. But now you can see the "whites of their eyes." Personally, my sales on Kindle outnumber sales of physical copies by 3:1, and that ratio grows every month. The way Amazon is advertising Kindle, everybody will have one in a couple years, including thru-hikers.

Skywalker-pct.com

bfayer
05-19-2011, 17:35
Honestly, I was a Johnny-come-lately as to the virtues of e-books. But now you can see the "whites of their eyes." Personally, my sales on Kindle outnumber sales of physical copies by 3:1, and that ratio grows every month. The way Amazon is advertising Kindle, everybody will have one in a couple years, including thru-hikers.

Skywalker-pct.com

Count me in that statistic. I have switched completely to kindle. With books taking over the living room and gear taking over the dinning room, my wife bought me one for self preservation. Yours, K1s and AWOLs were the first downloads.

If they would build a GPS into the thing and keep the battery life and weight, I would be in tech gear nirvana.