PDA

View Full Version : April Temps

LimpsAlong
01-17-2010, 08:42
I'm taking my son-in-laws on their first AT hike this April. Just a few days from Springer to Neels or Unicol.
I've googled the avg temps for that time of year but am curious as to what ya'll have actually experienced in that area during mid-april.
One of my son-in-laws has a hip replacement so we don't want to have him carry more weight than necessary.
Also will it be substantially colder at the Blood Mtn shelter? Want to stay there just in case it's not there in the future.
Thanks,

Hikes in Rain
01-17-2010, 08:46
Generally it's colder the higher you go. That's intuitive, of course, but on average figure around four degrees drop for every thousand feet. In general, I'd plan for the coldest temperature, and hope for the highest.

Pedaling Fool
01-17-2010, 09:07
From my gallery: This is near Springer in April '07; if you look close you can see snow being blown by a very cold wind.

Beware of averages.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/9/3/6/Stillcoldon9Apr2007.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=17901&original=1&c=member&orderby=views&direction=DESC&imageuser=6936&cutoffdate=-1)

Frog
01-17-2010, 09:15
Just be prepared you could get hot weather or very cold. April being a transition month. I've seen 70 degrees there on a new years trip and snow on an April trip.

LimpsAlong
01-17-2010, 09:19
From my gallery: This is near Springer in April '07; if you look close you can see snow being blown by a very cold wind.

Oh Crap! Looks like that 40 degree bag will be left at home.
Well this will take some re-thinking.

Summit
01-17-2010, 13:59
Last year we got 6" of snow on 6-7 April in the Wayah Bald area. Three years ago I abandoned doing the Standing Indian loop hike as temps dropped to single digits with 35 mph winds for three days in mid-April.
Other years I've experienced spring-like weather in April . . . you just never know!

Hikes in Rain
01-17-2010, 18:32
Another way of looking at it: half of everything is below average! I agree, the 40 degree bag may be a bit light. A good liner might help, though. Or perhaps long underwear to sleep in, just in case.

Blissful
01-17-2010, 18:49
You'll have to keep an eye on the temps, etc. Will likely be chilly, but one never knows.

Kerosene
01-17-2010, 20:05
I encountered 35-degree temps a day north of Springer on April 4, 2004 with 40 mph winds the prior day. Five days later north of Dicks Creek Gap it was 75 degrees and sunny. I was glad that I carried my 20-degree bag.

Stir Fry
01-17-2010, 21:50
I did Springer to Standing Indian April 22 2007 and we had night as low as 18*,most were around 30*. You can never know for sure. I saw someone from FL. with undewer on the head. They thought it would be wormer. Plan on cold aqnd hope for better.

SmokeEater
01-17-2010, 22:21
This should help out right before you leave. http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/weather.php

Erin
01-18-2010, 00:30
The weather changes. The last week of April 2007, we brought all this cold weather gear because of the weather the week before as posted above. As section hikers, we had too much stuff anyway. The thrus told us to dump the cold weather gear the week we were there. Thank goodness, the weather was hot, hot and it saves us alot of unnecessary weight.

JAK
01-18-2010, 00:48
I always go by climate extreme for a given month, rather than weather forecast.
Exception is a day hike or short fastpacking or cross country ski trip.
Even then I have a survival plan of some sort, in case I break a ski or something.

Chaco Taco
01-19-2010, 11:10

Oh Crap! Looks like that 40 degree bag will be left at home.
Well this will take some re-thinking.

Never ever carry a 40 degree before mid part of summer. Carry a 15 degree bag and you will be fine. I came off of Springer in pouring rain, but it was 60 degrees. Spring has been wet here the past couple of years and I dont see that changing. Make sure you carry the right stuff.
The temp usually drops about 4 degrees every 1000 feet up you go. If I were you, Id call Mountain Crossings a couple of days prior to your hike. Winton et al. are on Blood Mountain on the regular.