PDA

View Full Version : They Get It

Rocket Jones
01-17-2010, 10:13
I told my boss last week that I would be taking off for two weeks this Spring to go hiking. She started asking questions about my trip and at one point said, "I bet it's a great way to really clear your head."

A couple of weeks ago I was getting an eye exam and the doctor and I were talking about my hike (she's a family friend). She thought it sounded great and said she wished she could make time to go with, at least part way.

When I told my wife last fall that I wanted to take my day hiking to the next level, the next time we were at the outfitters she bought two AT maps. One for me to plan with, one for her to keep track of my progress.

There are plenty of people who will think you're crazy, but you'll find support and encouragement in some surprising places too.

omoucsrevir24
01-17-2010, 10:37
I've been having similar experiences. When I got really serious about planning my 2011 thru-hike, one of the major steps was telling my boss I was taking 6 months off to walk in the woods... I had to build up a lot of nerve to start the conversation, but once I did, I was pleasantly surprised! He has been one of the most supportive people out of anyone I've told so far. And I can even expect to still have my job when I get back...even though I had decided a while ago that as much as I love my job, (and I'm lucky enough to really REALLY love my job..) I was willing to give it up completely to take on this journey. He told me he is proud of me for setting a big goal, and wants to see me make it.
Through all the skepticism and worry I've had in dealing with my mother, and other people, its refreshing to have someone understand, and support something so important to me. It makes the planning seem more real. And the closer it gets, the more excited become! Can't wait!

modiyooch
01-17-2010, 10:58
I don't know if they get it as much as they tolerate it.

TOW
01-17-2010, 11:11
I told my boss last week that I would be taking off for two weeks this Spring to go hiking. She started asking questions about my trip and at one point said, "I bet it's a great way to really clear your head."

A couple of weeks ago I was getting an eye exam and the doctor and I were talking about my hike (she's a family friend). She thought it sounded great and said she wished she could make time to go with, at least part way.

When I told my wife last fall that I wanted to take my day hiking to the next level, the next time we were at the outfitters she bought two AT maps. One for me to plan with, one for her to keep track of my progress.

There are plenty of people who will think you're crazy, but you'll find support and encouragement in some surprising places too.You wouldn't believe it but my dog supports my hikes.........

Kerosene
01-17-2010, 11:23
I told my boss last week that I would be taking off for two weeks this Spring to go hiking. She started asking questions about my trip and at one point said, "I bet it's a great way to really clear your head."My wife hates having me go out alone, but after every week-long section hike she and my daughter note that I'm more relaxed, the stress lines are gone on my face, and I laugh more often.

RollingStone
01-17-2010, 12:42
My wife has always been comfortable and supportive of my long distance hikes of 2-3 weeks but when I began talking about doing either the PCT or the AT, she wasn't super happy.

About 6 years ago she began an endeavor to write her first novel. She has been writing since she was a kid and was an English major in college. This year, we brought her dream to fruition, she reached her goal of publishing her novel with alot of help and support from myself.

When talking to her I compared my goal and hers and the light turned on. She now understands that for me and for my daughter, as experienced backpackers we needed a bigger challenge in life, something to sustain us long term to see if we can make it.

When it comes to friends, those who play n the outdoors get it and are supportive. Family members are supportive, but think we're crazy... lol. The thing is for me and for my daughter, the most singular person we care about and need to be supportive is our wife/mother.

For us our planning is fun and invloves her because the majority of our planning centers around food. We don't need any gear. My beat to hell Leki's with the bottom poles will suffice, etc etc. And with that planning and her being involved, testing out recipe combination's with us, helps us to feel she is connected to us and the trip. It will make everything that much easier.

tiptoe
01-17-2010, 15:31
My company has been supportive of my 2-3 week section hikes. In fact, as a 30-year gift, I received a pack and a cookset.

10-K
01-17-2010, 18:49
My company has been supportive of my 2-3 week section hikes. In fact, as a 30-year gift, I received a pack and a cookset.

Hey Tiptoe.. if my company gave me a pack and a cookset I'd wonder if they were trying to send me a message. :)

Blissful
01-17-2010, 18:53

There are plenty of people who will think you're crazy, but you'll find support and encouragement in some surprising places too.

You will get more support then you think, and from unexpected places and people. Kind of neat.

tiptoe
01-18-2010, 15:40
Hey Tiptoe.. if my company gave me a pack and a cookset I'd wonder if they were trying to send me a message. :)

That doesn't appear to be the case, 10-K, but if it were, well, there are worse things.

fredmugs
01-19-2010, 16:32
My wife hates having me go out alone, but after every week-long section hike she and my daughter note that I'm more relaxed, the stress lines are gone on my face, and I laugh more often.

After my first AT hike I decided to get divorced and I'm more relaxed, the stress lines are gone from my face, and I laugh more often.

ShelterLeopard
01-19-2010, 17:13
Sometimes people are kinda shocked "wait, how many miles???", but more often, they seem to be a little jealous.

twosticks
01-19-2010, 17:33
After my first AT hike I decided to get divorced and I'm more relaxed, the stress lines are gone from my face, and I laugh more often.

It's amazing what getting divorced and hiking the AT have in common.

A bonus for me this year is, my wife is the director of summer camps for a non-profit in DC. She is going to pay me to take a few kids for a 1 week section hike in VA. Now, that is sweet and a nice wife to boot.

srestrepo
01-22-2010, 20:10
one of my female co-workers often jokes about my need to be in the woods at once every two weeks, she calls it "playing forest" and of course a lot of my other co-workers then start making fun of me for wanting to go backpacking also.

more often then not however, they're asking me what i do when i'm out there and we break into this heartfelt conversation about how relaxing it all must be and they want to see pictures...

yeah, they get it...