PDA

View Full Version : Stoves...*sigh ...which is best?

slamajama
09-14-2004, 17:31
Hi All,
Im this ......... close to purchasing a primus vari-fuel stove...($57.95). I am concidering a fall/winter nobo hike and wanted something that could handle that enviroment. Can i do better...?

Blue Jay
09-15-2004, 08:13
Hi All,
Im this ......... close to purchasing a primus vari-fuel stove...($57.95). I am concidering a fall/winter nobo hike and wanted something that could handle that enviroment. Can i do better...?

Gas is the way to go in winter and that's a good price. If you could do better it would not be by much, in my opinion.

Peaks
09-15-2004, 08:29
The problem with a cansiter may be poor performance in cold weather. Gas may not vaporize. Also, you may have problems finding canisters.

People like canister stoves because they light easily (in warmer weather), don't clog up, simmer, and have great BTU output.

Blue Jay
09-15-2004, 08:49
I truly do not want to argue about stoves, but with a canister you just put it between the layers of your clothes for a few minutes and it works just fine.

Lone Wolf
09-15-2004, 08:56
I agree with Blue Jay. I use a Pocket Rocket. Have no problems in cold weather.

slamajama
09-15-2004, 08:59
Ty all for your responces,
I think im going with this...i feel on / off trail, unleaded gas is readily available.
TY again,
Jama

sloetoe
09-15-2004, 10:49
... I think im going with this...i feel on / off trail, unleaded gas is readily available.

And remember you want the lowest octane for the hottest burn. (Amazed at how many times I went for high test. Sheesh!)

But don't hesitate to go with alcohol. It takes me more effort to get my Optimus 8R and/or Svea 123R going than my alcohol burning photon stove, when lighting up down in the blue temperatures. The only reason to carry a gas stove is for melting sneaux, but it is a rarity that you'd need to melt sneaux on the AT south of Vermont, and that rarity could be dealt with much lighter with a conservative fuel margin than with an entire metal stove, fuel bottle, etc.

Not to be a weight weenie, I'm just lazy.
Send yer unleaded stuff to Williamstown, then you can rightly curse the weight when you get there.