PDA

View Full Version : Is this good enough...?

slamajama
09-14-2004, 17:36
Hey all, what do we look for when reading this...?
Whats bad? ...whats good?

Key Features

Sleeps 2 adults
Dimensions: 7' L x 5' W x 4' H
Weighs 6 pounds, 4 ounces
2 large clear-view side windows
1 D-shaped door for easy entry and exit
Ring and pin corner attachments
Clip set-up with color coded tabs
68-denier polyester mesh windows, roof vent and "breathable" 70-denier nylon fabric for superior air flow
Sealed fly seam and welded door seam keep water out
Includes a mud mat and detachable gear loft
7.9 mm, shock-corded fiberglass frame
Heavy-duty, polyethylene rip-stop floor
75-denier polyester taffeta fly with 800 mm polyurethane coating
70-denier nylon taffeta walls with 800 mm polyurethane coating

Moose2001
09-14-2004, 17:43
UGH....Weighs 6 pounds, 4 ounces :mad:

kevin
09-14-2004, 18:46
I'm not a tent expert, but what I'd look at is

A) Weight -- I went with a heavy tent at 5 pounds (Sierra Hyperlight AST) and thought it was worth the weight (although usually about 2/3rds of the way through the day I'd start having second thoughts). You're adding another pound (and with less floor space).

B) Size -- The reason I carried a heavier tent is I wanted more room. I'm a bigger guy (6'4" and around 230). A lot of lighter tents either meant sitting up was a challenge or laying down I'd be virtually touching the tent at both ends.

C) Easy to set up -- After hiking all day, I wanted something that went up easy. The one downside I found to my tent was that setting up in a downpour with a double-wall tent makes it pretty tricky not to have a fair amount of water in your tent by the time your rainfly is on.

While I was happy with my tent most of the time, I definitely can see the argument for those pushing lightweight tarps.

max patch
09-14-2004, 19:58
6 1/4 lbs...wow...you'll probably mail it home at Neels Gap! I'm not an ounce counting weenie but I can't even imagine carrying a tent that heavy. Find something lighter.

java
09-14-2004, 20:20
Is this for one or two people? My husband and I carried a Marmot Zenith (don't know the exact weight but probably about 6 pounds) the whole way, but then again, we were splitting the weight. I carried the fly, he the tent and the poles. This worked out great for us, and afforded us the space and privacy we desired. For one person though, six pounds might be a bit much. You can still get a roomy tent for much less, even without going to a tarp. Check out Sierra Designs, they seem to be very popular with thru-hikers every year.

steve hiker
09-14-2004, 20:32
UGH....Weighs 6 pounds, 4 ounces :mad:
I hear that! :D

grrickar
09-14-2004, 22:00
If you want a 1+ or 2 man tent I would recommend one of the Sierra Design tents such as the Lightning (buy two and give me one while you're at it:) ) or a MSR Hubba Hubba. I own a one man Hubba and it is very light and well made. The Hubba Hubba is the two man version. I mainly like the SD tent though because it appears to have zippered doors on either side, and I'd rather not have to crawl over someone (or vice versa) to get in and out of the tent. Both tents are lightweight, and would be good for 3 season camping. I agree with the rest, unless you are splitting the weight 6lbs would get heavy quick. I'm no ultralight backpacker, but I have found that weight tallies up rather quickly. The Hubba Hubba weighs in at 4lbs 10oz. and the SD Lightning is 3lbs 15oz.

Dances with Mice
09-14-2004, 22:34
Are you hiking solo or not?

Hey all, what do we look for when reading this...?
Whats bad? ...whats good?

Key Features
[list]
Sleeps 2 adults]
Dimensions: 7' L x 5' W x 4' H]

I'm 6'4" and would like a bit more room lengthwise. And two people in 5 feet is do-able, I guess, but sounds narrow for 2, doesn't it? The 7 foot length might be ok if I was to use this tent alone, laying across its diagonal.

Weighs 6 pounds, 4 ounces

Whoa! Hold the phone! Way too heavy for a solo, might be ok if 2 were sharing the weight. But if two were sharing the weight then I'd look for something with a bit more room.

rocket04
09-15-2004, 00:16
I had a 2 person tent that weighed about 4 pounds and even that was too heavy, I got rid of it after Damascus. I'd say 6 pounds is way too heavy, but you never know, some people really like the comfort.

slamajama
09-15-2004, 09:04
Seems weight is the issue with this tent...i am going for fall/winter nobo hike..thought something waterproof would be sound (800mm polyurathane coating).ill look into S.D and see...but im on limited budget....ty for your recent and future posts.
Jama

blindeye
09-15-2004, 11:22
take a look at tarptent after months of checking and asking everyone that's what i bought several different models i got the cloudburst check'em out
tarptent by henry shires