PDA

View Full Version : Harpers Ferry Hike: President Day Weekend

lazy river road
01-17-2010, 17:26
So Im planning a 3 night 4 day hike 2/12-2/15 starting and ending at Harpers Ferry. I just want to do an out and back. Leave Friday afternoon and return Monday afternoon. My two questions are is, where would be the best place to leave my car where it would be safe. Could I just leave it in the parking lot up top at the entrance of the park? Hike into town and then get on the trail? Or is their a better place to leave it? And would people suggest going NOBO or SOBO. Im looking for the harder walk with less miles per day.

10-K
01-17-2010, 18:43
So Im planning a 3 night 4 day hike 2/12-2/15 starting and ending at Harpers Ferry. I just want to do an out and back. Leave Friday afternoon and return Monday afternoon. And would people suggest going NOBO or SOBO. Im looking for the harder walk with less miles per day.

Don't know about the car parking situation.

If I had 3.5 days to do an out and back from HF I'd go south, hike to Bear's Den hostel and turn around there. That would be the harder walk too I think - you'd have the climb out of HF (which isn't that bad), and if memory serves you'd have a few miles of the so-called "roller coaster" too before getting to Bear's Den which is about 20 miles from HF.

(I really enjoyed Bear's Den hostel - great place and super hosts.)

Blissful
01-17-2010, 18:48
Leave it at the HFNP visitor center and register inside the center. I think there is a small fee. Ride the shuttle to access the trail.

Hooch
01-17-2010, 18:49
Dancer and I did the Pen-Mar to Harpers Ferry section back in early November. The safest place to park your car is at the NPS parking lot. It'll cost ya $6 if I remember correctly and you'll need to register with the Park Service folks in the office there. Then you can either take the free bus into town or get a shuttle to pick you up there.

Instead of doing out and back, get a shuttle to take you out of town and drop you off at a trailhead somewhere. This way, you don't walk the same bit of trail twice. IMO, you'll enjoy your hike more like that. Either way, enjoy your hike.

lazy river road
01-17-2010, 19:51
Hooch, good Ideah on the shuttle but im doing an out and back because this is my first over night trip and I just like the security of if something dosent go as planned after the first night ill only be 7 miles or so to turn back to town. I will also be going the last weekend in March opposite way of the way I go in Feb, and for my second Hike I will use a shuttle, takeing steps. BTW Hooch, Did I ever tell you that I ended up with the Baltoro 70 pack, and you and those guys over on HF.net have got me hooked. Ill look into parking at visitor center and pos. pm jester about a shuttle I know he works at Harpers Ferry Outfiters.

Peanut
01-18-2010, 08:37
I agree with these guys that the harder hike overall, starting in HF, is going SOBO. (not hard, just hardER) And Bear's Den is a fantastic destination! (avg. 10 mi/day) You can park at the lot at the top of the hill, and hike down the trail there to the road, and along the road by the parking lot near the bridge, and up to the bridge to begin. It's not a bad walk. (although you can ride the shuttle, but if you have a dog with you, you'll have to walk instead). Have fun!! :)

dgaf169
01-18-2010, 14:40
I live about 20 miles or so from harpers ferry...needless to say I'm out there pretty often. Have you ever considered parking at bears den? That would give you a much more challanging hike. Coming out of HF its pretty flat for about 15 miles each way with a couple small uphills. But if you have your mind stuck on leaving out of HF I would go NOBO there's a lot more neat stuff to see along the trail. BTW going NOBO out of HF you have to walk about 3 miles on the C and O canal which is pretty much a bike path...not my idea of backpacking! Instead park at weaverton it is safe and it will start you right at the base of weaverton cliffs.

Whatever you decide to do...ENJOY YOURSELF!!!