PDA

View Full Version : Class of 2011 - Between Now and Then

RollingStone
01-17-2010, 18:00
Fellow 2011's - What do you intend to do between now and then?

For us we have a good deal of local trips planned this summer/fall.

* Glacier NP
* Another section in the Bob Marshall
* Couple of short CDT jaunts in Montana
* Bridger Ridge Trail
* 4-5 different 40-50 mile loops around the state

And so forth. Let's hear what adventures you have planned before the 2011 start date.

Blissful
01-17-2010, 18:57
Section hiking spring and fall as well as running, etc.
I'm still waiting on a "job" to see if I go SOBO or just a long section in '11.

apudreamer
01-17-2010, 19:19
I will be tackling the Long Trail in VT this summer, and generally frolicking in the Whites between now and March of '11 when I am planning to start NOBO.

RollingStone
01-17-2010, 19:40
I will be tackling the Long Trail in VT this summer, and generally frolicking in the Whites between now and March of '11 when I am planning to start NOBO.

A perfect plan. It's my favorite trail. Make sure to visit and use www.longtrailhiking.info

A brand new online version of the end to end guide will be going online within the next two weeks.

apudreamer
01-17-2010, 20:01
Thanks GrinchMT,

I bought guidebooks last year, but will consider the newer ones now that I know about them. Do you know if much has changed between the editions?

RollingStone
01-17-2010, 20:26
The end to end guide we have online is FREE :) There are many corrections and additions included online that are not on last years guide.

JohKnip
01-17-2010, 20:48
from now until March 2011 im basically stuck here (illinois) saving money...i live about 2 hours away from starved rock...anyone know of or have any recommendations of how i can train in such a flat state? sorry if this is a thread hijack don't mean too.

RollingStone
01-17-2010, 21:11
I grew up on a farm near Peoria Illinois before transplanting to New England, then Montana.

Best training you can do is cardio on a tread mill and a stair stepper. Start out weightless then gradually add your pack and weight with it. On the treadmill use a program that simulates raising and lowering grades. That's the best trail simulation you can get out in the prairie ;)

This summer however, why not go up to Wisconsin since you're in Zurich and take trips on the Ice Age trail? We hiked about 40 miles of it last summer on our way back to Montana - I enjoyed it thoroughly. Wisconsin reminds me alot of Vermont and New Hampshire.

hikingbear
01-17-2010, 23:17
I will be hitting the FT as much as possible even though its pretty flat. During my Spring Break (I am a teacher) I will head up to Springer and go north for a week. In the summer I will do a lot of hiking either in NH and ME (if I go to Maine this summer) or stay home and work and make week long trips in the southern states.

Turtle Feet
01-17-2010, 23:28
Bewteen now and then...

Put away a little more money, read up (drop box tips, ect.), lose another 10lbs. ;), pick up some lighter gear ...

hey JohKip - I lived in Gurnee for about 25 years, I'm in far N. WI now (Vilas Co).

Grinch - I see you live in Bozeman, guessing you've been up to Glacier before... I had the good fortune to visit back in Aug. with 2 of my boys - most awesome!

Reid
01-17-2010, 23:28
I'm gonna try to knock out as much of the southern sections as I can so to actually complete the trail I'd only have to go from Katahdin south for maybe 3 - 3.5 months. I can't see being gone for 5 months walking around in the woods.

RollingStone
01-17-2010, 23:45
Grinch - I see you live in Bozeman, guessing you've been up to Glacier before... I had the good fortune to visit back in Aug. with 2 of my boys - most awesome!

Yep. Little slice of heaven up there ;) The hiking is magnificent.

HockeyGirl
01-19-2010, 14:13
Being here in the UK I plan to hike the South Downs Way (100 miles) in April during half term (I'm a teacher too!)
Would also like to try a couple overnighters possibly in Wales or somewhere with a couple mountains so I can try some hills - pretty flat where I am.

Of course still testing gear, need to get fit and save some more cash! :-?

slugger
01-19-2010, 15:32
As many weekend hikes as I can to zero in on my gear.

sidebackside
01-19-2010, 17:31
Amongst many I plan on taking, this wkend will be my first. I'm heading to the Smokies for a few days. I'll be hiking north on the AT from Newfound Gap.

Grampsb
01-20-2010, 06:19
Lose a about 10 lbs.
Start working out in the gym again
Weekend hikes
Do the Black Forest Trail, Cranberry Wildernes and car camping with kids and grandkids in Daniel Boone National Forest.
Continue to upgrade gear. Got the the tent last week (Traptent Moment). Pack is next (ULA Circuit)

RollingStone
01-20-2010, 07:27
Being here in the UK I plan to hike the South Downs Way (100 miles) in April during half term (I'm a teacher too!)
Would also like to try a couple overnighters possibly in Wales or somewhere with a couple mountains so I can try some hills - pretty flat where I am.

Of course still testing gear, need to get fit and save some more cash! :-?

One of my lifetime goals is to hike around Scotland and Ireland.

Turtle Feet
01-20-2010, 21:54
I should add ... break-in second pair of footwear.

I have a fabulous but well-worn pair of hiking boots. I've probably worn them for 10 or more years now. I don't plan on them conking out on the trail, but I couldn't blame them if they did.

I figure now is a good time to invest in a second pair of footwear and start breaking them in. I'm leaning toward a pair of trail runners - anyone have any thoughts on the pros/cons of them???

RollingStone
01-21-2010, 23:23
Only time I wear boots is in the winter snowshoeing. A good non gore-tex pair of trail runners are so much better, especially when you run into wet trail. I would highly recommend you investigate them.

In addition, if you decide on trail runners, I suggest Simblissity Leva Gaiters - (www.simblissity.net (http://www.simblissity.net)) They are SUL Scree gaiters that keep the crap out of your shoes. I've been using the same pair now for two years. Best 27 bucks I have ever spent. Check out their website.

Connie
01-22-2010, 00:31
Trail runners need to have enough sole to protect your feet from sharp rocks and pebbles. The sole should have some torsional (twist) resistance. It is good to have leather or synthetic leather under the hiker's ankle bone area.

If you are heavy, or if you carry a heavy pack, consider trail hikers instead.

The tread needs to be good for slippery rocks in stream crossings, unless you are wearing different footwear for that. Like that. Slick mud? Slippery moss? Sandy sections?

Gaiters are essential, to keep out debris: better to have nylon-stretch fabric so black flies can't bite your ankles. Mine keep out ticks, as well. I also wear tights or pants with close-fit ankles.

I don't like Gore-Tex in footwear, because once it clogs your feet stay wet. I like nylon mesh in the footwear so I can walk dry the shoes, even after wringing out my socks and drying off the excess water on my feet. If I can't do all that, at least they might walk dry.

I like Salomon Amphibian shoes. Merrill Utah is the same idea.

. . .

Turtle Feet
01-22-2010, 13:23
Thanks Connie & RollingStone!

I have a pair of gators that I agree - I wouldn't live without! I'm only 5'1" so they come up almost to my knees, but I push them down a little in the heat. I like the idea of the extra coverage as opposed to those little 'ankle gators'.

I'm going to have to try a few different shoe styles, and be sure to stay away from Gor-tex. I'm not heavy, and hopefully won't have a heavy pack, but I'm going to look into the trail hikers all the same - thanks so much guys!

RollingStone
01-22-2010, 22:39
I used to wear full length gaiters all the time until I tried these. Now I only wear the full length ones on Winter trips since I tend to mostly hike in shorts.

I'm 6'3" and usually average about 25-28 pounds with 6 days food and water in my pack. Most newer well constructed runners will easily support a person and their pack.

rapchizzle
03-10-2010, 13:01
I'm going to work as a ranger at Philmont this summer and get ready to train when I come back to SC. It's flat and humid as anything here so I'll be going for distance I guess

Mountain Wildman
03-10-2010, 14:17
Lose about 35 pounds.
Physical training, weights, cardio etc...
Climb Mount Washington at least once.
Gear shakedowns on the A.T.
Hike some of the other parts of my area, Pinkham Notch etc..
Considering the Long Trail and The 100 Mile wilderness.
Save money.
Also considering mail drop setup, was going to just re-supply as I go.
All above subject to change!!

BlueTang
03-16-2010, 00:17
Lose about 35 pounds.
Physical training, weights, cardio etc...
Climb Mount Washington at least once.
Gear shakedowns on the A.T.
Hike some of the other parts of my area, Pinkham Notch etc..
Considering the Long Trail and The 100 Mile wilderness.
Save money.
Also considering mail drop setup, was going to just re-supply as I go.
All above subject to change!!

I see you are from New Hampshire! I miss HOME! - I would suggest you do the LT sections before the 100 mile wilderness. You'll have a great time and it provides enough terrain to get into shape. Start at the MA border and just keep going north! :)

Mountain Wildman
03-16-2010, 00:51
I see you are from New Hampshire! I miss HOME! - I would suggest you do the LT sections before the 100 mile wilderness. You'll have a great time and it provides enough terrain to get into shape. Start at the MA border and just keep going north! :)

Thanks for the tip!!
If you are from N.H., You are a long way from home.
We just got some more snow. Love it!!!
I have a new Backpack on the way from Bozeman.
If you make it back up this way, let me know, We will do some hiking.
There is also a restaurant called the Water Wheel I believe, They make excellent food, My favorite is the "Mount Washington".
There are not many who can eat the whole meal, But I can. :-)

Tijmen Smit
03-17-2010, 16:00
I'll be at the gym 3 times a week exercising. And i'll be spending the summer holidays in Sweden doing the 440km kungsleden trail (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kungsleden), but before I can go to Sweden I need to buy new gear.

I do have a big backpack, but the one I have right now is way to big and heavy for long distance hiking. Also need to get myself a tent, planning on testing all the new gear in Sweden during the summer. After that I will be a matter of counting down the months :)

Mountain Wildman
03-17-2010, 16:23
My Mystery Ranch pack is huge also, But the suspension and quality of the pack is outstanding, I may still use it for my Thru-Hike in 2011 because every single piece of gear will fit inside and not hanging off of my pack. I will be testing it out here in the White Mountains this Spring and Summer.

Sumone86
03-17-2010, 16:49
spending alot of time in alamaba's national parks.

NashvilleBiscuit
03-17-2010, 17:11
I plan on spending time doing the things I like to do that I wont be able to do while I am hiking on the trial. During my first attempt, 2009, I really missed being able to climb, bike, and golf. I am going to spend less time hiking, unless its to a crag, and more time with my other activities and dog.

Brother Baldy
03-17-2010, 21:28
Between now and 3/9/2011...day hikes in the Smokies, two three-day trips on the AT, walking 4-6 miles a day up and down the hills of my neighborhood and trying to figure out how to be gone for six months without my wife noticing. (Who will feed the dogs?)

Sassafras Lass
03-22-2010, 17:05
* Lose this 30 lbs I've packed on
* Pick out my pack, clothing system, waterproofs, and various odds and ends
* Buy an extra pair of glasses (with tint) 'cause Lord knows I'll break/lose my only pair a week into the trail :rolleyes:
* Hike 3 days in the Smokies Easter weekend and go again for our wedding anniversary around June 12th
* Keep camping every night in our tent outside until October (too cold then) - we've been sleeping outside since March 15th

esmusssein
04-13-2010, 18:26
Earn money for the trip and some better gear (I'm eying at Western Mountaineering Ultralite, but ouch the price!)! I'm working as a raft guide May-September on the Pigeon (right next to the trail) and the French Broad (right in Hot Springs). Hopefully I'll get some time to go on some weekend hikes. After September, I will just be trying to earn money and continue going to the gym. Meanwhile I"m going to read every AT book I can find. I'm also thinking about a dehydrator. It will give me something to play with for the next 11 months.

turtle fast
04-13-2010, 20:18
I am reusing most of my gear from 08'. Need a small repair to my ULA pack. I need to buy a new shelter, alcohol stove....a titanium pot, get some aqua mira. I also need to slim down and shed some weight...starting to do that and getting an exercise plan. I have found out though that the best training for the trail is in just doing the trail...it will condition you. I lost 30 lbs on the trail last time.

Jchap
04-14-2010, 13:48
Earn money for the trip and some better gear (I'm eying at Western Mountaineering Ultralite, but ouch the price!)! I'm working as a raft guide May-September on the Pigeon (right next to the trail) and the French Broad (right in Hot Springs). Hopefully I'll get some time to go on some weekend hikes. After September, I will just be trying to earn money and continue going to the gym. Meanwhile I"m going to read every AT book I can find. I'm also thinking about a dehydrator. It will give me something to play with for the next 11 months.

I bought the ultralite last year. man is it ever warm and light!! not to roomy though. I slept in it when the temp was -7C three weeks ago and it kept me warm, infact a little to warm. compacts great but i would not plan on abusing it to much, light weight material does not seem to be to durable but i have not had any problems yet. would be a great bag to start your hike with though you might want somthing less warm for summer or just use it as a blanket maybe. it is expensive, but woth every loonie...eh!

Jchap
04-14-2010, 13:56
Hiking the Dobson Trail, Fundy Footpath. and definatly random hiking around the Fundy National Park! oh ya, and tons of kayaking!

motlekj06
04-15-2010, 15:02
Doin stream ecology and botany work in Rocky Mountain National Park and Glacier National Park in the summer, workin on the family farm, brewing beer and enjoying my first autumn in Pennsylvania without having to worry about school work. Hit me up if anyone wants to do some hikes in RMNP or Glacier!

Joy
04-15-2010, 23:54
*Working out like crazy
*Possibly 2 week Honduras trek in November
*Updating Gear
*Saving Money
*Trying to convince a friend to come with me, or find someone else to accompany me
*Annoying everyone by talking about it constantly

elizardph
04-18-2010, 17:56
I did the Long Trail last summer, and would recommend it as a training trip. Between now and then though, hopefully I will be saving up some money, doing some trips in the Whites and Green mountains in VT. Planning some resupplies and food drops for along the way and getting pumped for next February!

moondoggie
04-20-2010, 18:06
spending alot of time in alamaba's national parks.
We have National Parks here in Bama?

moondoggie
04-20-2010, 18:11
Pinhoti Tail (already did 2 different sections this spring)
Odum Scout Trail
Chinnabee Silent Trail
Skyway Loop Trail

This summer and fall - multiple trails in the Sipsey Wilderness and Nantahala N.F.

RETCW4
04-20-2010, 18:41
AT Maryland and part of PA

apudreamer
04-20-2010, 20:07
New Dilemma in my 'between now and then'. I currently have a steady job that will, provided I work for them for at least a full year after I return, give me the time to thru. This is fantastic, however.... I am growing increasingly interested in leaving this job NOW, especially with the potential of a fantastic job on the horizon. If I were to get and take the fantastic job, I wouldn't be able to thru for quite a while (probably). So here is the dilemma- job that I am not so fond of for another 2 years to be able to try a thru in 2011, or a job that I would probably actually like and put the trail on the back burner?:eek:

RollingStone
04-24-2010, 14:26
At 42 the best advice I can offer you is to follow what makes sense to you in heart AND in pocketbook. My first thru attempt was at age 18. I haven't made another attempt since but will next year. I'll turn 43 next year shortly after starting. Sometimes you have to put off the fun to do the right thing, other times it makes sense to do something else. It isn't an easy decision, but in the end, the heart and pocket book is usually what it comes down to. No matter what, the trail will always be there.

tortoise1
04-24-2010, 15:47
Hoan my gear, study up "again", Food purchases. I live between Alaska and Michigan so this summer I will spend a month back and forth to my homestead, do some crazy hill hiking south of Anchorage, back to Michigan, hike up north a couple 3-4 dayers, down south Hocking hills area in Ohio, maybe a section of the AT in Tennessee if I can, and then work my ass off and Save. I like the tread mill hill simulation though. Lookin forward to meetin all you 2011'rs. Stay Well.

traildust
04-26-2010, 14:21
Working on convincing Dovetail that we need to start at Springer and go north even though we have already done the trail from Springer to NOC where we had to stop when she got hurt. She doesn't see a need to repeat miles already done.

My position has nothing to do with being a purest thruhiker. My thoughts are that Georgia preps you for NC and so on up the trail. Besides, it is good to know what the day has in store for you and you can not make the same traveling mistakes as before like going from Deep Gap all the way to Tray Mountain. Experience is .....

johnnyblisters
04-26-2010, 14:38
Working on the trail for another season this summer and hiking the long trail in Sept.

C Seeker
05-03-2010, 17:24
Massanutten Mountain (east and west) trail, and continue doing my section hikes with my mom :) I

M1 Thumb
05-09-2010, 07:07
I'll do inverted sit-ups in an old barn, squat an old horse cart loaded with rocks and an over-weight brother in-law, split firewood all day long in the snow, out run a car full of KGB, and sprint up the side of a nondescript snowy mountain and wave my arms at the peak.

:banana

I'll also continue to appropriate gear, walk and hike, lose 5 pounds, maybe gain 5 pounds, prepare for a 5 month absence, and count the weeks until March 2011.

FritztheCat
05-09-2010, 10:40
Sectioning WV and MD in September and GA in October. Very cool because I can make my reservation at the Hiker Hostel in person for next April!

Luddite
05-12-2010, 18:19
I planning on hiking the Hayduke trail in Utah this fall, but for now I'm stuck hiking in mosquito and alligator infested swamps. Might take a trip up to Northern GA or NC and do some shorts hikes. I would like to find a secluded section of the Smokies to hike.

on_the_GOEZ
06-10-2010, 15:49
Only time I wear boots is in the winter snowshoeing. A good non gore-tex pair of trail runners are so much better, especially when you run into wet trail. I would highly recommend you investigate them.

In addition, if you decide on trail runners, I suggest Simblissity Leva Gaiters - (www.simblissity.net (http://www.simblissity.net)) They are SUL Scree gaiters that keep the crap out of your shoes. I've been using the same pair now for two years. Best 27 bucks I have ever spent. Check out their website.
Thanks for the link. I have never seen that model before - I plan to order some ASAP!

As far as what Im doing between then and now.. Continue working to save money, home in on gear and lightweight alternatives, continue at IU (and possibly graduate), continue bike riding and swimming, and best of all, Plan the books I will be taking with me (probably my best luxury item)

Oh, and a few thru hikes of INdiana's longest hiking trail, the Knobstone trail. 3-4 excursions should be enough to fine tune my gear..

Ogre
07-16-2010, 16:17
I'm eying the Trans-Catalina Trail (http://socalhiker.net/2010/03/trans-catalina-trail/) for sometime this Fall.

I'd never even heard of hiking the length of Catalina until a few days ago, apparently the trail only opened last year. But it's local, just a ferry ride away, and about as remote as you can get in So Cal.

Other than that, mostly just day-hikes, though I'll get another few overnights in sometime.

walkin' wally
07-17-2010, 08:10
I going to do the Grafton Loop Trail here in Maine (38 miles) as soon as the heat and deerfly seige here ends. I hope to have some other section hikes before the end of the year.

Then I want to be on the AT in mid March 2011. I hope to see you all on the trail next year.

mtnkngxt
07-18-2010, 15:01
Finish up my undergraduate degree, and spend a lot of time on the trail between Damascus and Scales.

Luddite
07-18-2010, 15:08
Seven and a half more months...ughh.

Kelleelynn
07-19-2010, 02:48
Seven and a half more months...ughh.

I know! Im getting quite impatient! I originally thought i was going to start the first week of April but i have it moved to the first week of March now lol

In the mean time... I am doing my usual PA hiking trails on a regular basis. At the beginning of August I am going to CA for vacation and will spend a few days/nights at Yosemite. At the end of August I want to do the Quehanna Trail (75-mile loop) before my daughter is back in school. That will give me a perfect opportunity to play with my new gear ;)

Minlaker
09-07-2010, 00:16
from now until March 2011 im basically stuck here (illinois) saving money...i live about 2 hours away from starved rock...anyone know of or have any recommendations of how i can train in such a flat state? sorry if this is a thread hijack don't mean too.

I'm in the same boat as you man but I should be fine financially. When you planning on leaving ? I live in gurnee so training is goona be tough

IronGutsTommy
09-07-2010, 00:29
i plan to sobo thru hike october 2010 thru march 2011, then begin my nobo thru in march. thats one way to get your 2011 trail legs!

IronGutsTommy
09-07-2010, 00:32
when u start a thru in 2010, but complete it in 2011, is that class of 2010 or 2011.. i figure the latter which sucks as you can only really claim class of 2011 once even if i complete two thru hikes in that time period

walkin' wally
09-07-2010, 20:47
Did the firewarden's trail up Mt Bigelow, Maine. A tough climb for a day but it's good to keep in shape. Next up is a week at Fundy Provincial Park in New Brunswick Canada for some hiking.
After that it will be the Grafton Loop Trail in Maine as soon as I get back from NB. Sort of a shakedown hike and the chance to do a beautiful section next to the AT.

Can't wait to meet you all in March in Georgia. About 6 months to go. :sun

thepitts
09-07-2010, 21:40
I plan on getting a bit of a "Jump Start" here in N.C. for some more flexiblity with my plans.

Oh, and graduation :)

northernstorm
09-07-2010, 21:52
im dialing in my new gear as we speak. will be taking at least 2 trips for about 14 days a piece. working out at the gym, playing basketball. really looking forward to meeting you all out there. im trying to remember these trail names.

IronGutsTommy
09-08-2010, 01:36
im currently accepting applications for my trail name.. if i dont have one by georgia, im sure ill get one on the nobo with all they hikers. really looking forward to meeting some of you guys/girls

northernstorm
09-09-2010, 22:01
im currently accepting applications for my trail name.. if i dont have one by georgia, im sure ill get one on the nobo with all they hikers. really looking forward to meeting some of you guys/girls
you'll get one for sure.