PDA

View Full Version : Vibram FiveFingers (yes, again...) Flow Vs. KSO Trek

David@whiteblaze
01-17-2010, 19:08
Okay, so tommorrow I am going in to buy FiveFingers and need to know if the KSO Trek would be a better option to the Flows. So, if you have any prejudices against (and or for0 either shoe, speak loudly... and speak loudly soon...

Maddog
01-17-2010, 19:17
Okay, so tommorrow I am going in to buy FiveFingers and need to know if the KSO Trek would be a better option to the Flows. So, if you have any prejudices against (and or for0 either shoe, speak loudly... and speak loudly soon...

you've already asked this and shot down all suggestions! good luck! :)

Maddog
01-17-2010, 19:18
go with the flows!! again!! :)

leaftye
01-17-2010, 21:49
Let's see, smooth really thin bottom shoes, or slightly thicker shoes with a bet of tread. Tough decision. Flows.

David@whiteblaze
01-18-2010, 06:35
you've already asked this and shot down all suggestions! good luck! :)
I did? oh, sorry...

David@whiteblaze
01-18-2010, 14:11
Okay, change of plans... I am going tomorrow instead of today... but any insight that you have would be appreciated.

David@whiteblaze
01-19-2010, 19:26
anyways, the place didnt have anything but the kso's, so input is still appreciated

Wrangler88
01-19-2010, 20:19
I don't know the specifics of the Treks but aren't the soles a little thicker?

That seems to me like the company is trying to market more to the masses than to its original concept of the barefoot feeling. Last time I checked the bottom of my feet, they were pretty smooth. I didn't find checkered tread. I don't know ... just doesn't make sense to me.

Like I said in a different thread, I have the KSO's and I've hiked in them. They worked great. And, I believe, are cheaper than the other version.

loganus
01-19-2010, 20:37
go with the ones that arent made out of animal! leather-:datz the treks are made out of animal kangaroo leather and that is so not good for kangaroos :mad: and their future if want to avoid harsh treatment of animals.
Well thats my view hope this helps-oh and im not a hippy i just hate corporate business raping of nature!! and all the BS...
Hope this helps
rick

go with the flow!!:dance

David@whiteblaze
01-19-2010, 20:59
I don't know the specifics of the Treks but aren't the soles a little thicker?

That seems to me like the company is trying to market more to the masses than to its original concept of the barefoot feeling. Last time I checked the bottom of my feet, they were pretty smooth. I didn't find checkered tread. I don't know ... just doesn't make sense to me.

Like I said in a different thread, I have the KSO's and I've hiked in them. They worked great. And, I believe, are cheaper than the other version.
If you are reffering to the treks, yes, thay are $35 cheaper... Including all the information sent in, it would appear that the flows are the better option for the "barefoot sensation", cheaper, and they would be about as good of a backup hiking shoe as crocs...

MMX
01-20-2010, 00:05
do not know when you are leaving but I would not want to be in my KSO on ice during the winter early spring. Splurge and start with Trek and convert to KSO

leaftye
01-20-2010, 00:14
Get the kangaroo shoes. There's an overpopulation problem anyway, so it's actually good for the environment until they fix the problem that caused overpopulation.

David@whiteblaze
02-06-2010, 21:19
I bought some today, and took pictures: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=16009&id=100000152100487&l=ce0927b0c4

JAK
02-07-2010, 06:29
Now that you bought them you may as well use them and learn what you can from them.
I think if you are going to go with something like that, i.e. minimalist, or whatever you wish to call it, you should really consider making something yourself, expecially something you can replace and repair yourself while on the trail. It really depends on your motivation though. Do you want to promote a product? If so, stick with the product. If you want to be self-reliant, and minimalist, and perhaps traditionalist, or environmentalist, or whatever, think about how easy it might be to make something yourself, and the logistical advantages, as well as the feeling of self-reliance and accomplishment.

JAK
02-07-2010, 06:47
Here is some interesting footwear.
http://www.arrowmoc.com/mocasins.html

Are they near the AT? I think they are near where the AT goes over the MASS PIKE.

Rather expensive, but the quality of workmanship appears to be there. If I had the $$$ and was in the area I would probably pop in there and buy something, and see how well they work and hold up. I am probably going to wait until I can so there in person though. I don't like shopping on-line for clothing, especially footwear, especially something like this. Even to see which model I like best I would need to really see them and feel them and try them on. Once I tried them on the trail and they proved their worth, or I learned from the experience, I might try and make the next pair myself, even if I knew they might not be quite as good. Anyhow, don't know when I might get down there again. I wished I knew about them when I was down that way a few years ago. Meanwhile, I keep meaning to try and make something myself anyway, without really know what I am doing.

JAK
02-07-2010, 06:56
"Are they near the AT? I think they are near where the AT goes over the MASS PIKE."

I checked, and no, they are not near the AT. Too bad. They are inside the 495 in the Boston area. I'll check them out next time I go down that way.

David@whiteblaze
02-07-2010, 13:41
I don't like shopping on-line for clothing, especially footwear, especially something like this. Even to see which model I like best I would need to really see them and feel them and try them on.
I was going to order as size 44... I am wearing a too small for socks 46...

fanlynne
02-09-2011, 22:18
I like shopping online for clothing,especially for footwear,i am wearing size 38..........

shcummins
03-14-2011, 15:34
I've owned a pair of KSOs for over a year now and I love them. I believe the only difference between the KSOs and the flows is that the FLows have a neoprene upper for waterproofing and warmth. They're mostly designed for water, or colder environments. I would go with the KSOs, unless youre going to be hiking in colder weather or crossing a lot over streams.

mountainboogey
04-01-2011, 14:18
I agree with shcummins. The KSO Trek is the right "shoe" for hiking. It has a more agressive sole and a durable leather upper. The flow is for water-type activity. Probbaly useful in Maine?