PDA

View Full Version : Advice on shelter

rappglenn
01-17-2010, 21:52
Hello I had a few questons about hiking on the Arizona trail and arizona in general

I just moved to prescott AZ from western new york and I usually use a bivy and a tarp or poncho for shelter I was wondering if there is a problem with spiders and scorpians when you are not protected by a tent of bug net.

I dont usually care that much about bugs but the third night living here me and my wife were visted by a black widow wich layed me up for a few days

So I guess my main queston is do I need a tent or a bug protection net

I am going to hike around here for a while and then do a thru hike in a year or so I need to adjust to the diffrent type of hiking out here

Thank ahead for all your help

Dogwood
01-17-2010, 22:50
Yeah, and what about rattlesnakes that are more active at night? - those big fat AZ ones that can kill a hiker in less than 3 secs? I hear Jaguars are also known to cross over into the southwestern states from Mexico on rare occasion. I even hear that the Mexican drug cartels are strapping drugs onto the backs of Jaguars to get their "product" across the border! Now, if you are stung by one of those 10" + centipedes like the kind found in Hawaiii and you have an allergic reaction oh you are in a world of pain, but only for a short while, until you die in excruciating pain! Those feral hogs can rip a chunk of flesh from your body too! A hungry pack of them can devour an avg sized hiker in short order.

Seiously, it really shouldn't be a BIG concern. Zip up your pack at night and thoroughly shake out your shoes in the morning. The crawlies like these dark warm protective places to sneak into. Umm, which brings up your sleeping bag and underwear. Use a tent or mesh bug canopy if it bothers you. Seriously, it's not a BIG problem! I don't know how many hike the AZT every yr, but on the PCT, where you cross the scorpion inhabited Mojave desert, an avg of 300 PCTers hike and sleep every yr and it's not really a BIG problem. Be careful picking up downed wood or lifting up flat rocks where the crawlies reside under or in.

leaftye
01-17-2010, 23:10
Equinox makes a bug net canopy for the head section of your bivy or sleeping bag that weighs about 3 oz if you want to go that direction.

garlic08
01-18-2010, 00:10
I used a floorless tarptent on the PCT and got scorpions inside twice and a major ant invasion once, not to mention mice in over-used campsites. Never got bit or stung, but I switched to a tarptent with a floor and have used that ever since just for peace of mind. Lots of hikers in the desert get by just fine without netting, though. With some care, the bugs are mostly avoidable.

AggieAl
01-18-2010, 00:31
Just something to get used to. I kill 5-6 scorpions per year in my house. They do keep the other insects down and there bite is not all that bad.

I have fewer problems when hiking than at home. You have far fewer critters than in the east.

Enjoy the change.

Connie
01-18-2010, 03:12
. . .

The OR Bug Bivy (http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/bug_bivy.html), Six Moon Designs Meteor Bivy (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=61) or TiGoat Ptarmigan bivy (http://www.titaniumgoat.com/Bivy.html) all have zipped up protection and ground cloth built-in.

There are more of that type.

The Six Moon Design Meteor Bivy pattern (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/community/myo_MeteorBivy.html) is available, for DIY: do-it-yourself.

. . .

rappglenn
01-18-2010, 17:07
It s not really that them get on me really bothers me and when I was in a traq I delt with scorpians just really dont what to get another black widow bit and as long as it not a big deal ill keep my bivy and maybe invest in a net

I mean when the black widow got me I was pretty much bed ridden for two days not the way to be on the trail and the thing climbed right into bed with me in my house

Pacific Tortuga
01-18-2010, 17:17
Get protection of any type. As a F.F. medic in Lake Havasu City, AZ. the calls that ended up the sadest where Brown Recluse spider bite's.
Maybe I'll see ya at the Presket Rodeo, or not, but a heck of a good time.

Connie
01-18-2010, 21:58
Just a net won't keep 'em out. It has to zip up.

There can be no openings to crawl thru.

I had a brown recluse bite, during my sleep at home in bed in Contra Costa County. I was lucky. I knew what to do, calling the Poison Control Center right way, I went to Alta Bates Hospital. They got me "stabilized" and a plastic surgeon was kind enough to excise the bite.

Have a bug bivy that will zip all the way closed.

leaftye
01-18-2010, 23:22
Have a bug bivy that will zip all the way closed.
Or a bug bivy with a shock cord like I suggested earlier.

Also, a bug bivy won't be completely effective if it simply sits on your face. This is why I like the one I suggested earlier. You can use your trekking poles, branch or sticks to elevate the net from your face.

Hightrailer
01-20-2010, 21:24
I've spent countless nights in the AZ wilds without a tent. Its not really a big deal.

The only problem I've had was car camping this past summer when I get bit by a rattler.

Scorpions are no big deal unless you're allergic.

climber2377
01-20-2010, 21:58
how well to hammocks work out west or in AZ???

garlic08
01-21-2010, 10:22
how well to hammocks work out west or in AZ???

They don't. My experience with hammocks is that they work best with trees. Where there are trees out West, it's high enough that nights get pretty cold. When it's cold, hammocks suck unless you have extra insulation (underquilt), which adds weight/bulk.

boarstone
04-14-2010, 19:43
Hello I had a few questons about hiking on the Arizona trail and arizona in general

I just moved to prescott AZ from western new york and I usually use a bivy and a tarp or poncho for shelter I was wondering if there is a problem with spiders and scorpians when you are not protected by a tent of bug net.

I dont usually care that much about bugs but the third night living here me and my wife were visted by a black widow wich layed me up for a few days

So I guess my main queston is do I need a tent or a bug protection net

I am going to hike around here for a while and then do a thru hike in a year or so I need to adjust to the diffrent type of hiking out here

Thank ahead for all your help

For what it's worth: I just came back Tuesday from hiking/backpacking in the Cave Creek/Spur Cross area in Arizona north of Phoenix in the Tonto Nat'l Forest. I used a tent, nights were 40-45, :eek: days were upwards of 85-90's. This is what I'D do different next time I went: Take a FREE STANDING tent, the ground is like cement unless you on on river banks or bottoms of washes. No clear area for hammocks, all undercover is of spiney bushes ready to trap you for life. Snakes were not an issue, I'd see a few spiders crawling around when going for bathroom calls in the headlight of my lamp. I had a 30* synthetic bag, next time I'll take a 20* down, lite as possible. Heard javelina's rolling rocks around in the river bed. But other than that not a critter--except a group of horseman from the local-for-hire stable at Spur Cross, who use the trail I was on. As they say: everything in the desert will bite, sting and stab you. I am now a believer. I had an awsome time and would do it again and may I add, I went alone. Only saw 1 rattlesnake...while sitting at the picnic table at Trail head waiting for my driver to come get me, got some good pics.

mudhead
04-15-2010, 06:28
Thanks for the report. Glad you had fun.

The variety of spiny stuff is amusing?:)

yappy
04-15-2010, 11:45
I used a tarp tent and my buddy used a free standing and u r right it was a pain to bang the stakes in. Plus very windy for a good portion of the walk and the tarp was loud unless i had a perfect pitch... which was rare :) I do like da's hp hubba.... wish i had one !

redmarbleshoe
04-16-2010, 01:13
I'm also in Prescott AZ. I was stung 5 times by a baby scorpion in the first month I moved here from CA. I'm not allergic. I survived. Hurt like a MF. No joke. I moved into a place that was vacant for a long time. Even after clean up, there was some issues. The point is...I picked up my jeans off the floor in the morning, and slipped them on. 5 stings as it ran across my leg. I did NOT shake them out prior to putting them on. totally MY FAULT.

I have not come across Scorpions in the Northern AZ area. Rattlers are definitely possible, especially now, so watch for those. Centipedes are out too.

Remedy: HAMMOCKING whenever possible. Or a tarptent with a floor.

I also made my own Bug repellent that worked even against ants. Was amazing watching them avoid my tree straps and pack.

Cedarwood oil, and a little bit of citronella, in a witchhazel base. New frontiers store is where I got the ingredients.

Good luck, and be smart. Shake out your stuff!

gruntledpainter
06-18-2010, 14:40
it's not a big deal to go cowboy camping under the stars, but if you want more peace of mind about the creepy crawlies, I'd get a tent with a no-see-um mesh and a rain fly, that way you can still see the stars at night if you want, while still safe from anything crawling around. Get a tent with a STURDY FLOOR, you will be sleeping on rocky ground.

Also, hammocks are completely useless in the desert. I'm just imagining a hammock strung up between two saguaros.....:D

Graywolf
08-24-2010, 16:44
I live in Texas but have had my share of desert hiking/camping and never had a problem. The best advice is the same form a privous poster. Shake your shoes out in the morning and check your surroundings. I have slept out under the stars many times and not a problem. I have camped out at the Oberservatory many times under the stars and there is a lot of scorpions in that area, but I have never had problems..

I love Arizona and am planning on a winter hike this year before hitting the AT. Cant wait to get back to the desert. I think once you settle down, you will find it a beautiful place to live.

Graywolf

Land_Shark
04-01-2011, 19:24
Any climbing cams will do for crevice to hang hammock & tie other end to what ever and if in open county cactus is plenty big enough, have you ever stood next to one? Very big. I have hung in the wind in places you would not believe. If one works it out you will have no lumps, no slopes and no bugs crawling, flying during your nights rest. Same bed every night most important. The ground in thw desert is not good. Take a black light out just once you'll know what I say is true and this is just the scorpions and do not forget their are three kinds. Little browns are the worst. The rattle snake also has many different makes and models also not they hunt with infra red. The ground is not good.