PDA

View Full Version : PDF AT Maps for Kindle?

Kadomount
01-17-2010, 22:12
I was thinking about starting a project to make a set of AT maps for my kindle in PDF format. The formatting is important so that one "page" of pdf will be a useful scale in the map (there is no way to zoom in or out on the kindle so you can't have one giant image.).

I was just wondering if anyone else has already done this.

The reason I'm interested is that I'm thinking about doing a thru in 2010 with my Kindle instead of paper maps and guidebooks. I've already found a pdf version of the 2009 thru-hiker companion in pdf, but I really like having maps too.

First post at whiteblaze, woot!

kayak karl
01-17-2010, 22:39
I was thinking about starting a project to make a set of AT maps for my kindle in PDF format. The formatting is important so that one "page" of pdf will be a useful scale in the map (there is no way to zoom in or out on the kindle so you can't have one giant image.).

I was just wondering if anyone else has already done this.

The reason I'm interested is that I'm thinking about doing a thru in 2010 with my Kindle instead of paper maps and guidebooks. I've already found a pdf version of the 2009 thru-hiker companion in pdf, but I really like having maps too.

First post at whiteblaze, woot!
i can get you free topos in PDF, but you will need an upgraged Adobe program to write on them and save to file. when i get home to my computer on wed or tues i will post site. i don't know of any AT maps in PDF, but if you have them in JPEG they can be converted.

Kadomount
01-17-2010, 22:50
I was thinking of using:

http://www.fivemillionsteps.com/trailmap.php

which is a google map of the AT. My plan was to do screen caps of the "terrain" or "topo" views at an appropriate resolution and merge them together in a pdf as separate pages. I think this falls under "fair-use" as far as intellectual property goes.

BrianLe
01-18-2010, 00:20
You could also consider geoTiffs from libremap.org, or get just the AT-specific set from trailogic.com (http://trailogic.com/atquadlist.html). Some sort of batch downloader is useful for pulling this stuff down. Or you can buy the AT set on a DVD for $25 from edigitalmaps.com (http://www.edigitalmaps.com/product_info.php?products_id=184). Either find a free viewer or buy one that will either render as pdf or allow you to print (in which case you just need a free pdf writing tool, easy to obtain).

Before you do a lot of work, I suggest that you get a map of the area where you live and first just convert that to pdf, and put that on your kindle. Then take a several-mile walk around your town, periodically consulting the kindle --- see how well or poorly this actually works out for you.

kayak karl
01-18-2010, 23:22
GIMP is the conversion program. just do a search.

robmurphy
01-19-2010, 02:37
[QUOTE=Kadomount;953475]I was thinking about starting a project to make a set of AT maps for my kindle in PDF format. The formatting is important so that one "page" of pdf will be a useful scale in the map (there is no way to zoom in or out on the kindle so you can't have one giant image.).

Considering how fragile the Kindle screen is (spoken from experience), it would last about 2 miles in a backpack before failing.

ryan850
02-02-2011, 13:31
Considering how fragile the Kindle screen is (spoken from experience), it would last about 2 miles in a backpack before failing.

I've taken my kindle over many miles of trail. Never had a problem. The kindle 3 fits inside a quart size zip-loc nicely, which I then wrap in extra clothes (sock hat and thermals usually, since I normally only wear those when sleeping.

I have also considered slipping a piece of hard lightweight plastic inside the zip-loc with the kindle, but so far haven't needed it.

I think it's a fantastic idea. I'd like to work with you on coming up with this. I save so much weight and don't have to skimp on how many books, data sheets, maps, first-aid info, etc. Also, I can get online with it to send some emails back home. Also, that battery lasts so long. 3-4 weeks on the trail without a recharge, if you are only reading on it with the wireless off.

You can email me at ryangrayson [at] gmail [dot] com

Graywolf
02-02-2011, 13:33
Some reason when I saw your topic I thought you meant printing out pdf sections so when you are done, it could be used as fire kindleing..Ok...Now to something different..

JaxHiker
02-02-2011, 19:13
there is no way to zoom in or out on the kindle so you can't have one giant image.
You can on the new ones.

leaftye
02-02-2011, 19:43
Making a basic map would be easy. Filling them with useful annotations is what would take forever. You might want to contact Halfmile and see how he does his annotations. I know he uses National Geographic mapping software, but I don't know if he uses that program to add annotations, or if he does that in a pdf editor like Adobe Acrobat.

rustmd
02-02-2011, 20:33
i have a kindle, 2nd generation. i thought one can only download directly from amazon.com. how would i download AT maps?

i've used my kindle for backpacks, including last summer's 4 week hike/canoe in northern alaska. i use the neoprene book cover, then a qt. size ziplock baggie. i packed that into my clothes bag. no problem. the battery was "off" and the kindle lasted the entire time. i read every evening for a hour or two before going to bed, then shut the kindle off.

amazing to be able to carry that much literature on the trail so easily.

dottie

Rocket Jones
02-02-2011, 21:59
i have a kindle, 2nd generation. i thought one can only download directly from amazon.com. how would i download AT maps?

You can load pdf's and other compatible files directly to your Kindle from your PC via the power cord. Hook it up using the USB port and when your PC recognizes it as a new "drive", just drag and drop the files.

rustmd
02-03-2011, 18:30
thanks, rocket, i'll try that.

dottie