PDA

View Full Version : Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway in Fall - What to Expect

Wendigo
09-14-2004, 20:20
I am planning a week-long walk north from Monadnock along the MSGT in late September. Though I've climbed Monadnock itself, and have extensive backpacking experience, I'm not familiar with this trail and my guidebook is 1991 edition. I may or may not be able to get a recent one before the trip. In light of that, what changes on this trail can I expect? Particularly water sources that are good/bad, campsite conditions, new sites since last guide printing, etc. Any information would be most welcome and helpful!

Good hiking to all,
Wendigo

Frosty
09-14-2004, 22:55
I am planning a week-long walk north from Monadnock along the MSGT in late September. Though I've climbed Monadnock itself, and have extensive backpacking experience, I'm not familiar with this trail and my guidebook is 1991 edition. I may or may not be able to get a recent one before the trip. In light of that, what changes on this trail can I expect? Particularly water sources that are good/bad, campsite conditions, new sites since last guide printing, etc. Any information would be most welcome and helpful!I did this last spring and summer.

Plenty of water.

Two shelters (Crider and near Washington). Several tent platforms. The southermost one (Spiltor) is about a quarter mile from water. If going north, leave your pack on the platform and walk north to the large brook.

THere is a well-used albeit illegal campsite just before the Child's Bog dam-spillway. Look left (going north). Near the road, though, and might be a party-place on weekends.

There is a store/deli on Rte 31 (Washington) and a Mr Mikes covenince store about 1.5 miles east on Rte 9.

The trail is usually well marked, except north of Pitcher Mtn. A general lack of blazes combined with a plethora of snowmobile trails make it tough. I got lost southbound, but ended up on the dirt road by Pitcher Mtn and came out Okay. On the north-bound trip I saw where I went wrong.

Just past the Advent Church, a beaver dam has flooded the trail. There are signs warning about this, but only the sign for north-bounders is placed so as to be noticed. SOuthbounders should look where they turn right off the Advent Church Road. The sign is on the left of the road. There is an alternate trail. I missed the sign and was surprised at the watery trail. Was only a foot deep on trail though, for about a hundred feet. Easily passible.

Your 91 guide may not have all the tent platforms. There is one about six or seven miles south of Moose Lookout site. Didn't stay there and don't remember if water was nearby. Also, the Crider SHelter is new, and may not be on your 91 guide. Take blue-blazed trail about a few hundred yards sokuth of big lake (Center Pond? I forget name). Water for Crider shelter is brook a hundred yards beyond shelter. Outlet from lake.

A week might be overkill. It's only about 50 miles, plus a coupel miles at either end to climb Monadnock and SUnapee. Monadnock is the highest point on the trail.

If you want company on the hike, let me know. I like this trail and would be happy to do it again. PM me if interested.

Frosty
09-21-2004, 20:01
I'll be doing this trail again this weekend if anyone is interested in going.

Will leave Thursday morning from Sunapee, and arrive Monadnock probably Sunday, with planned nights at Max Israel, Crider, and Spiltor.

Frosty
10-11-2004, 20:26
I am planning a week-long walk north from Monadnock along the MSGT in late September. Though I've climbed Monadnock itself, and have extensive backpacking experience, I'm not familiar with this trail and my guidebook is 1991 edition. I may or may not be able to get a recent one before the trip. In light of that, what changes on this trail can I expect? Particularly water sources that are good/bad, campsite conditions, new sites since last guide printing, etc. Any information would be most welcome and helpful!

Good hiking to all,
WendigoDid you ever do this hike? If so, did you find anything to contradict what I posted? I'm thinking of doing it again before cold weather sets in, and wonder about conditions.