PDA

View Full Version : Pants - What do you wear?

AeroGuyDC
01-18-2010, 12:25
I have another newbie question for the experienced hikers:

I have recently begun training for my 112 mile section hike by hiking the local state park with a loaded pack, and i've encountered an odd problem. With my hip belt situated above my waist on my hipbone and cinched tight, i'm finding that my pants are all of a sudden having trouble staying firmly around my waist, even with a belt. I'm guessing its because of the cinched hipbelt changing the shape of that region of the body. On the surface, it sounds like all I need to do is tighten my belt,but i've found over a longer hike that doesn't always do the trick. It gets kind of annyoing having to stop to adjust. I should mention that the pants are nothing special, usually just some regular cargo pants, but not necessarily of the hiking variety.

What kind of pants (outerwear) do you wear? I was wondering if pants with some sort of elastic waistband would help overcome this issue? Any other suggestions would be great!

Thanks.

JAK
01-18-2010, 13:27
Hiking shorts are easier to keep up. Still, I am thinking about sewing some suspenders permamently to my hiking shorts. That would save some weight and there wouldn't be buttons or clips to dig in to me. Now that I have lost weight my shorts are a bit oversized, but I like to be able to wear them over anything including 200wt fleece or rain pants. So only the shorts would need the suspenders.

I have this idea recently that a tight belt might lead to hernia trouble. Better to let your stomach do some work when you are walking or running. Not sure about waist belts on packs, but they are more on hips than abdomen. That's the other reason I am thinking about suspenders.

Mags
01-18-2010, 13:33
Running shorts for all but skiing. I couple it with long underwear under the shorts for mild-cold conditions. Throw on rain pants for cold and wet conditions.

Old Grouse
01-18-2010, 13:35
For shorts I wear some old quick drying Columbia combo swim suit/pants that have an elasticized waistband supplemented by a built-in fabric belt. For long pants (when it's cool or buggy) I have some very light weight Gramicci's with the same type of waist arrangement, plus they cinch at the ankles. I may occasionally have to hike up the pants, especially on hot, sweaty hikes, but it's nothing bothersome.

Connie
01-18-2010, 13:47
I wore Pearl Izumi "Tokyo Tights" until the women's version was changed.

Now I wear Sporthill brand.

I am looking for maximum flexibility, with a face fabric that sheds rain and wind.

The men's version Pearl Izumi "Tokyo Tights" are still good for backpacking, fitting loose, having no waistband belt loops, these pants fit just right with a backpack waistbelt. The close-fit ankles are good protection against ticks. In the worst of "tick season" I also wear elastic nylon gaiters.

I would say the Pearl Izumi "Tokyo Tights" fit and finish are just right.

I look for pants made from a durable stretchy nylon material having panels and curves in knees as well.

For a hot summer, I look for nylon Supplex "chinos" made for backpackers, or for yoga: I like the PrAna brand for the inseam gusset.

Maybe you would look for a pant like this (http://www.prana.com/002691-Katek-Convertible-Pant.aspx?colorid=47147) one?

I have a number of different pants I regard as suitable for backpacking listed at specialized clothing (http://www.ultralightbackpackingonline.info/products1.html).

Wags
01-18-2010, 17:41
swimming board shorts unless it's really cold, then i just wear nylon convertibles

Chaco Taco
01-18-2010, 18:13
convertable pants or my running shorts

wcgornto
01-18-2010, 18:21
REI Sahara convertible pants

Anumber1
01-18-2010, 18:54
I'm pretty skinny and this happens to me all the time.

I find that tucking my shirt in helps a bit

Blissful
01-18-2010, 19:52
That happens to me with convertibles, but tightening the hip belt seems to help.

Ox97GaMe
01-18-2010, 20:12
I usually wear beach shorts. I wear the high gators, which helps keep my legs warm. For long pants, I go to a thrift store or clearance clothiing store (Ross/Marshalls) and get the 'swishy britches' aka running pants or warm up pants. They are not 100%waterproof, but they dry fast and work nice for around camp in the evening as well. They are pretty lightweight. I usually find them for about $8-10/pair.

leaftye
01-18-2010, 21:14
I usually wear convertible pants. If I find a little extra money, I'll use RailRiders mesh pants for parts of my thru-hike.

bigcranky
01-18-2010, 22:44
Columbia nylon shorts with the mesh liner cut out. These have an elastic waist, so I don't have the problem of them falling down. Light wool boxer briefs or long john bottoms underneath.

ChinMusic
01-18-2010, 22:49
REI Sahara convertible pants (worn full length out east, treated with permethrin during tick season).

No Lyme for this guy.....

Mud__Bone
01-18-2010, 23:14
REI sahara converts.

multi use gear rocks :)

Tinker
01-18-2010, 23:21
[QUOTE=AeroGuyDC;953671]I have another newbie question for the experienced hikers:

I have recently begun training for my 112 mile section hike by hiking the local state park with a loaded pack, and i've encountered an odd problem. With my hip belt situated above my waist on my hipbone and cinched tight, i'm finding that my pants are all of a sudden having trouble staying firmly around my waist, even with a belt. I'm guessing its because of the cinched hipbelt changing the shape of that region of the body. On the surface, it sounds like all I need to do is tighten my belt,but i've found over a longer hike that doesn't always do the trick. It gets kind of annyoing having to stop to adjust. I should mention that the pants are nothing special, usually just some regular cargo pants, but not necessarily of the hiking variety.

I find I have the best luck if I pull my pants waist up as far as possible and wear my hipbelt below the waistbelt on the pants. Tucking your shirt inside the pants (make sure it doesn't bunch up) also helps keep the hip belt from slipping. It will slip a bit with hiking any way you do it, but less so. I hunch my shoulders from time to time to take the weight off of the hip belt and then I snug up the belt.
In cold weather I usually wear full nylon pants. In warm weather I wear zip offs or shorts. My zip offs become shorts so often in warm weather that the tops are significantly lighter in color than the legs in due to ultraviolet bleaching.
Nylon is your best bet in fabric for hiking pants as far as being quick drying, durable and wind resistant.

Many Walks
01-18-2010, 23:53
Another vote for REI Sahara Convertible pants. I've adopted these as my all time favorite and don't even look at others now. Best thing...they're on sale now for $39.93, regular price $55.

singing wind
01-19-2010, 00:18
Pants - I often look for bargains in the op shop bin and have been known to modify a pair or two. Some stores have fill a bag for $1-2 and pants on the rack are usually $4-6.

No belt used for hiking - I prefer an elastic waistband and if there's elastic already there and in good shape, great. Otherwise, I either take out a little of the stitching at the waistband hem at each end or make 2 small cuts in the fabric and thread through 1/2" or wider elastic and sew it off at the ends. I leave a little extra length of elastic tucked back in the waistband before I sew it up. This also allows me to make adjustments - smaller or larger in the waist - as my body shape changes.

I hope you can find something that works out for you in the best possible way.

Chicago
01-19-2010, 00:28
Have to repeat that REI Sahara convertible pants are fantastic. And mention that I've used Tinker's trick of putting the waistband above the hip-belt of my pack. That said, there's always going to be some adjustments as you go along.

ChinMusic
01-19-2010, 00:34
Pants on the ground, pants on the ground, actin' like a fool with your pants on the ground.

Sorry, couldn't resist...........

SMSP
01-19-2010, 01:56
I've been trying the 5.11 Taclite Pro Pants. Not as lite as the zip-off pants. But may be a good choice for colder temps. I've been satisfied with them so far.

Taclite Pro Pants Description:

Lightweight 65% polyester and 35% poly cotton ripstop
Magazine/cell phone pocket
Two cargo pockets
Patented slash rear pockets
Treated with HT Teflon® wear resistant finish
External knife pocket
Rear web strap
YKK® zippers
Prym® snaps
Clip loop
Perfect for the Outdoors. Including Hunting and Hiking

http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Home/All-Products/Pants/Tactical-Pants/Taclite-Pro-Pants/D/30100/P/1:100:50000:50100:50101/I/74273

Suspenders work for me.
I use these....
http://www.skdtac.com/HSGI_High_Speed_Suspenders_p/hsg.105.htm
They work great! Helps out the crack problem too!

SMSP

take-a-knee
01-19-2010, 10:48
REI Sahara convertible pants

+1 on REI Sahara pants.

Miner
01-21-2010, 17:20
On the PCT, I wore Railrider's Eco-mesh pants for most of the trail and even with the belt, after some weight loss, they would sag unless I made sure the tops stayed tucked under the hipbelt. I have less problem with shorts that aren't knee length as the weight of the pant leg doesn't pull them down like the pants. But when its buggy, cold or I'm often in direct sunlight I prefer wearing full pants.

Yahtzee
01-21-2010, 17:33
I have the same problem. So much so, my alternate trailname is Asscrack. I hike in swim trunks with a mesh lining. If I wear long pants I go with a cheapo brand track pants that has either a full-length mesh lining or cotton lining.

Not sure what can be done about this. I think some people's size torso/mid-section just make it hard to keep pants up when you are hiking with a backpack on. Just keep pullin' em up. Soon enough it will be second nature or you will have the trailname Asscrack.

leaftye
01-21-2010, 17:51
Would you recommend the Eco-mesh pants for another PCT thru-hiker? Did you change out of them for creek crossings?

Kerosene
01-21-2010, 18:02
Not sure what can be done about this. I think some people's size torso/mid-section just make it hard to keep pants up when you are hiking with a backpack on. Just keep pullin' em up. Soon enough it will be second nature or you will have the trailname Asscrack.I've had intermittent problems with my pants slipping down a bit, but they don't go too far and tightening the hipbelt usually helps.

However, this becomes a real problem when it's raining outside and you're wearing a parka with rain pants. Nothing worse than having cold rain drench you butt and then your legs (in which case you might as well not wear rain pants, as many do not). I invested in some remarkably breathable e-Vent gear that I use in place of my Packa when I anticipate cold temperatures and use this gear as an extra layer. I had my wife sew an 8-inch strip of 1.5" wide velcro to the outside back of my rain pants, with the fuzzy section on the inside hem of my parka so that they line up when I put the gear on. Works like a charm, and I don't see why you couldn't replicate this with a pants/shirt combo to avoid unfortunate trailnames.

rt8877
01-21-2010, 21:14
Rail Rider eco mesh,are the very BEST

tjhein
01-21-2010, 21:35
On the PCT, I wore Railrider's Eco-mesh pants for most of the trail and even with the belt, after some weight loss, they would sag unless I made sure the tops stayed tucked under the hipbelt. I have less problem with shorts that aren't knee length as the weight of the pant leg doesn't pull them down like the pants. But when its buggy, cold or I'm often in direct sunlight I prefer wearing full pants.

I agree with Miner: Long pants are my norm for most days. I like Arcteryx Palisades. They are cool, keep bugs and sun at bay and your legs stay cleaner too! FWIW I usually wear long sleeves too for same reasons. A lot of people complain about bugs on the AT but still wear shorts and t-shirts.

jrwiesz
01-21-2010, 22:12
I use the convertible pants from Sportsman guide.[It appears they longer offer these - too bad, because they were inexpensive compared to a lot of the others offered on the market today]. They have normal 1.5" belt loops like most pants offered today. But with my homemade belt(see below), I roll over, onto the belt, the waist band of the pants. Then when they are cinched under the pack waist belt, they are less prone to slip down. This set-up is not all that difficult to get used to, and isn't too great of a mass under the waist belt.

Try this for a belt; I've used this belt for packing with hip belts for years with great success.

Get two pair of the longest leather boot laces, and braid three of them to form a belt. Tie the ends into a simple knot. Then put the braided belt on like a regular belt, through your belt loops of your pants. One single wrap of the ends where your normal belt buckle would usually be, tighten, then take the knotted ends and tuck under the belt farther around your waist area, roll over the waist band of your pants. A lot less irritation from a belt buckle in front, no needed holes in the belt to adjust size, fits any one except the most large of waists(or get longer laces-if you can find them).

Get three pair of laces for two belts.

Getting higher waist pants helps, to roll over the waist band, and prevent one from giving yourself a wedgie!!! :eek::D

AeroGuyDC
02-02-2010, 21:03
Thanks to everyone for the great advice! This forum is awesome.

300winmag
02-02-2010, 23:33
I really like the brand "5.11" for nylon pants.

Yeah, I have a few pairs of REI Sahara pants ans they are nice for the zip-off leg conversion to shorts and tehy are light weight.

But for Railriders-type durability the "5.11" tactical nylon 'canvas' pants are by far the best. (They do come in cotton also, but avoid cotton.:)

FEATURES:
1. double seat
2. double knees W inside opening to insert 5.11's thin neoprene knee pads. (Great for rock scrambling on tough trails)
3. VERY durable construction - IMHO better than RailRiders
4. fast drying
5. easy to use cargo pockets that are medium sized, not military style large.
6. Great price, around $50.

Toolshed
02-03-2010, 07:47
Nylon/Lycra Biking shorts (without padding) when I am on the trail - I like the compression on my thighs.. If I need to go into town or hitch a ride, I can pull a pair of running shorts over them quickly for those who might not find them so modest.;)

JustaTouron
02-03-2010, 10:25
I don't like wearing a regular belt with a hip belt. I wear suspenders (also called braces) I have rainbow colored ones that look just like the ones Mork wore on Mork and Mindy. My kids make fun of dad's fashion sense. :o I don't understand why. :confused:

I met one hiker who used some webbing and sewed large enough belt loops onto the inside of his shorts to use the backs belt to hold up his shorts. He could tuck the loops into his shorts when not in use.

10-K
02-03-2010, 11:57
I've got 2 pair of swim trunks that I got from Sams that I hike in during the summer and when it's warm. They're light and dry fast and they've got 4 pockets, all on front - 2 regular pockets and 2 pockets over the knee big enough for my map and appropriate guidebook pages.

I've got some convertibles too but I like the swim trunks a lot better.

weary
02-03-2010, 12:37
Hiking shorts are easier to keep up. Still, I am thinking about sewing some suspenders permamently to my hiking shorts. That would save some weight and there wouldn't be buttons or clips to dig in to me. Now that I have lost weight my shorts are a bit oversized, but I like to be able to wear them over anything including 200wt fleece or rain pants. So only the shorts would need the suspenders.....
A great idea -- sewing in suspenders. I've also lost a bit of weight, so all my pants are now two inches too large around the waist.

What do I use? Whatever I find on sale. I've bought a couple of convertible pants at the LL Bean factory store for around $12. But mostly I buy stuff from a local remainder shop that often stocks some major manufacturers seconds and returns. Most are cotton khaki pants and shorts, which serve nicely most of the time, despite all the negative reports.

Weary

SurferNerd
02-03-2010, 12:59
I own REI Sahara's. I also own a pair from World Wide Sportsman. Slightly heavier than my Sahara, they are convertible, UV50, and water resistant with Teflon as in water just beads off of them. I paid $15 for them after my family 40% discount.

Summit
02-03-2010, 16:44
+1 for REI Sahara converts. They're great!

XCskiNYC
02-04-2010, 14:33
The nylon convertible pants that zip off to turn into shorts are good for cool weather. I wore my EMS version for my section hiking from October onwards and have worn them all winter for running.

Here's a nice deal on the same type of pants, $30 from REI:

http://www.rei.com/product/767573#