PDA

View Full Version : Trail condition and blowdown reports sought

Lauriep
01-18-2010, 14:22
Hey everybody--You may know that up to two feet or more of snow fell on much of the A.T. at the end of December. Cold weather persisted, and in some areas, snow was still lingering, at least prior to yesterday's rain and today's relatively warm temperatures (48 degrees here in Harpers Ferry, high of 37 degrees forecast for Mt. LeConte in the Smokies, where 8" of snow is currently reported).

It would be helpful if hikers would report conditions they encountered. If you come across blowdowns, detailed reports (location, size, whether they present hazards to hikers) can be very useful to the local club. Post here and/or email to [email protected] and we can forward.

Portions of TN and NC and southwest Virginia are the areas most likely to have extensive blowdowns. There may be snow at the highest elevations and north-facing slopes.

Surely some folks at the SORUCK ventured out and have something to report?

Here are the reports we heard here at ATC last week:

Georgia - Mostly clear. GATC President Gary Monk reported that the club was able to clear all blowdowns in the area they were working. Little or no snow at that time.

Central Virginia - Mostly clear. NBATC President Norm Sykora, reported that a aportion of their section had been scouted and no problems were reported.

Shenandoah - Unknown. PATC Supervisor of Trails John Hedrick reported that even trails at lower elevations at the park boundary were inaccessible due to snow and ice.

Northern Virginia - The 1.2 mile section my husband and I maintain from Blackburn south had only a few small blowdowns. Snow ranged from none to 6inches on Saturday; most of that will probably be gone by the end of today.

Maryland - Mostly clear. Hikers reported no blowdowns between US 40 and Harpers Ferry. Trail had a mix of snow and bare patches as of Saturday; most of that will probably be gone by the end of today.

Laurie P.
ATC

Cookerhiker
01-18-2010, 14:32
On Friday Jan. 15 the first day of the SoRuck, I day-hiked northbound from the NOC, hiking between 4 and 5 miles before encountering too much ice on a north-facing slope. In these 4-5 miles, I recall at least 2 blowdowns requiring a chainsaw. The first was not too far north of Grassy Gap (sorry I can't be more precise) and the second was in the icy stretch of a rhododendron "tunnel" a bit more than 4 miles from the NOC.

Also hiked the next day from Tellico Gap to the NOC over Wesser Bald but I'm drawing a blank on blowdowns there. Perhaps other Ruck hikers will remember; it was an organized hike.

JJJ
01-18-2010, 15:17
Between Abingdon Gap (S. of Damascus) and the 5 miles north to the Backbone Rock BBlaze, there was only one place that had a pile of 6- smallish trees that took a little doing to get through. There were a few leaners and a fair amount of brush on the trail. Probably only a couple days with a chainsaw to put things in order.

From Damascus to Straight Branch has only a log or two across it.

The FS is working on a pretty big mess this week on the VA Creeper Trail north of Straight Branch to Taylors Valley.

The Iron Mt Trail between Damascus and FS 90 is in good shape with only a place or two.

Bearpaw
01-18-2010, 16:11
A quick word from SoRuck, from Tellico Gap to Wesser Shelter, the trail is in good overall shape, but the Wesser Creek Blue Blaze is covered with 2-3 dozen blowdowns, some just an inconvenience but some making for pretty dicey scrambling aroung them on steep wet slopes. Many are rhododendron blowdowns which completely choke off the trail, but which can be pushed through.

I will include pics when I get them downloaded.

sasquatch2014
01-18-2010, 16:17
A group of us were out this past weekend and it is clear from Wind Gap to the DWG.

Other than lost hikers near Nuclear Lake the trail is clear in NY from Rt 52 to the Ct state line from reports that I have had.

mountain squid
01-18-2010, 16:20
We're heading out tomorrow in search of blowdownshttp://www.myemoticons.com/images/work-school/physical-labor/sawing.gif. In addition to the detailed report that Laurie mentioned, a photo would help to visualize what might be required. Maybe lean your hiking poles against it for reference.

JJJ - Do you mean b/n Abingdon Gap Shelter and the Backbone Rock blueblazer?

Approx where was the pile of trees located? Closer to the shelter or closer to the Backbone Rock blueblazer? Approx what diameter?

Are the leaners and the brush just in random spots b/n the shelter and the Backbone Rock blueblazer? What do you think was the largest diameter leaner/tree that you saw that requires attention?

A couple of days with a chainsaw makes me think there are numerous blowdowns or ones that are very large and that completely obstruct the trail. The other day we removed 17 in a few hours (which included getting my truck unstuck and walking in and out). So, a couple of days makes me think there might be 50 or 60 blowdowns, etc to contend with.

Thanks for the info.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Lauriep
01-18-2010, 16:28
Thanks everyone! This is helpful.

dmax
01-18-2010, 16:43
I parked at Indian Grave gap on Unaka and headed north on Jan 9th and 10th. I was able to clear one with my small pocket saw. If I remember right there was 3 big ones before you get to the forest service road. After crossing the road there was some more. I didn't make it all the way to Beauty Spot but saw around 6 on my two hikes.

Bearpaw
01-20-2010, 21:04
I will include pics when I get them downloaded.

There were about perhaps 3 dozen blowdowns, about a dozen of which were complete blocks with no readily apparent way around. This was one.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/misc/SoRuck%2010/035.jpg

There was a huge tree down and its roots took the trail with it requiring a 6-foot descent and similar climb back out.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/misc/SoRuck%2010/037.jpg

The trail wasn't impassable, but it was MUCH tougher than the previous year I hiked it.

I realize this is a blue-blaze and not main corridor, but hopefully Nantahala Hiking Club will get word of it fairly soon.

Thanks for looking out for us Laurie.

Daydream Believer
01-20-2010, 21:30
Shortly after Christmas, we sectioned from Gooch Gap to Hogpen Gap in GA. There were quite a few blowdowns on the Blood Mountain side of Neels' Gap. Several were pretty rough obstacles to get around/over as I recall.

SGT Rock
01-20-2010, 22:08
Not on the AT, but I had a big one on the BMT I just finished clearing today. The trails are ate up down here.

JJJ
01-20-2010, 22:21
We're heading out tomorrow in search of blowdownshttp://www.myemoticons.com/images/work-school/physical-labor/sawing.gif. In addition to the detailed report that Laurie mentioned, a photo would help to visualize what might be required. Maybe lean your hiking poles against it for reference.

JJJ - Do you mean b/n Abingdon Gap Shelter and the Backbone Rock blueblazer?

Approx where was the pile of trees located? Closer to the shelter or closer to the Backbone Rock blueblazer? Approx what diameter?

Are the leaners and the brush just in random spots b/n the shelter and the Backbone Rock blueblazer? What do you think was the largest diameter leaner/tree that you saw that requires attention?

A couple of days with a chainsaw makes me think there are numerous blowdowns or ones that are very large and that completely obstruct the trail. The other day we removed 17 in a few hours (which included getting my truck unstuck and walking in and out). So, a couple of days makes me think there might be 50 or 60 blowdowns, etc to contend with.

Thanks for the info.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Mt S, Yes that's the stretch.
The pile of about 6 trees/limbs were only 8-10", if memory serves, it was maybe two miles N of shelter. And it was the only one that was the least it tricky.
There were a few 18-24" that would need working on.
You're probably right, a pair could probably clean up McQueens Gap to DAM in a day, if you didn't have to walk both ways. There was no where near 50-60, but I haven't been on the 4 miles S of DAM. I heard there was some, but I'm presuming relatively the same volume.
Thanks for your help.

Spirit Walker
01-20-2010, 23:03
We hiked from Wolfsville Rd to Pogo Campsite today. Only a couple of small blowdowns - only a handsaw would be needed to clear them and they are easily stepped over. We cleared the little stuff off the trail. (I love trekking poles!)

Blissful
01-20-2010, 23:33
You guys are great. many many thanks.

Marta
01-21-2010, 08:12
On the Tellico Gap to Wesser section last Saturday, there were a couple of blowdowns near Tellico Gap. From Wesser Bald Shelter north, blowdowns had already been cleared. There was fresh sawdust on the ground.

From Wesser north for a few miles, there was one blowdown that had made a hole in the trail and taken quite a bit of soil with it. If we get much heavy rain, it could wash a big hole in the trail. Other than that, there weren't any serious problems.

Berserker
01-21-2010, 10:43
I did this section last weekend (1/15 - 1/17), and it was a mess. Lots of debris (small branches and things of that nature) on the trail all throughout the section, and a good bit of blowdowns. The most significant blowdowns I remember were in the 4 mile piece in between Dickey Gap and Trimpi Shelter. There are several in there that will require a chainsaw. The one that caused the most heartache getting around was maybe about 1/4 - 1/2 mile SOBO of Trimpi. Beware, there was deep snow in that area too (sun must not get in there much).

The snow was fairly deep up at the higher elevations (I'd say somewhere above 3,300') where it must have drifted a couple of weeks ago. Some spots were maybe up to 2' deep. The summit of Glade Mtn in particular had a decent coating of snow on it.

mountain squid
01-22-2010, 13:53
Thanks for the updates.

We cleared about 41 on Tue (1/19) N of Erwin. I uploaded a couple of photos (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?s=&do=member&catid=&imageuser=8692&searchid=&orderby=dateline&direction=DESC&cutoffdate=-1). There were a couple of other groups out but I'm not sure how they fared. I'll be heading out tomorrow to check my section. I hope it isn't too bad...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Cabin Fever
01-22-2010, 14:41
As stated on another thread, the week after Christmas I, along with others, cleared over 50 on my section. I will qualify this by saying I define a blowdown as anything I have to saw. It's a mess out there. The early starters are going to experience a lot of trail obstructions.

ShelterLeopard
01-22-2010, 14:44
A group of us were out this past weekend and it is clear from Wind Gap to the DWG.

Clear except for the blow downs between Kirkridge Shelter and DWG. There are about 3 or 4 large trees blocking the trail. Two of which (for someone with short legs) are difficult to get over. You have longer legs Sasquatch- Slugger was ready to whip out his camera, I looked so ridiculous trying to get over one of the bigger ones!

Saffirre8
01-22-2010, 14:59
FYI- hello everyone- The AT up here in MD is looking good in some areas and not so good in others. i hiked from Gathland to Weaverton cliffs and most of the snow was gone except where the sun doesnt shine through. Last weekend i walked NOBO from Gathland and just about twisted my knee because the terrain was rough. So if you are hiking NOBO from Gathland be careful. There is lots of frost and ice underneith the mud and grass. You would never know it was there till you just about twist your knee.

mountain squid
01-25-2010, 13:37
Some more photos. I cut this one on both sides and it only took about 10 minutes.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

daibutsu
02-21-2010, 11:29
Am doing Swatara Gap to 501, next weekend (2/26/10), only about 15 miles, anyone know what to expect? Many thanks in advance....

im lost
02-21-2010, 11:37
hiking around pearisburg in jan. small stuff down everywhere a few big ones also. i will let you know about catawba area after next weekend.

oso loco
02-21-2010, 13:13
From what I've seen just driving through MD, there are likely to be a lot of downed trees along the trail. Way too much snow.

As you hike, instead of just stepping over downed branches and tripping over pieces of wood, be considerate to those who follow and move them out of the way. If you're using a hiking stick, it's very easy to flick the sticks and branches off the trail. If it's bigger than that, see if you can pick it up and get it off the treadway. I've always been amazed when hiking to run into a tripper on the trail that I know a half dozen people passed by without moving. It doesn't usually take much time or effort, and can be very satisfying. It's a kindness to those behind you. It also means that the maintainers will only have to spend time taking out the big trees, not the little branches along the trail.

ATsawyer
02-21-2010, 13:33
Snowshoed about three miles of AT from Thornton Gap to the new Byrds Nest 3 shelter yesterday. Encountered no blowdowns, but snowdrifts were over six feet deep in places, and could have been hiding fallen trees. Carried a crosscut saw on my packframe that kept whacking branches well above the normal 8' window.

Snow was just crusty enough to support me on showshoes but I could have easily pushed my pole to the handle where I'm standing.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8074&stc=1&d=1266773471

Deerleg
02-21-2010, 15:34
Am doing Swatara Gap to 501, next weekend (2/26/10), only about 15 miles, anyone know what to expect? Many thanks in advance....
I'm heading that way too the same weekend...I've been using NOAA's "Interactive Snow Information" along with Google Earth and a AT and NOAA overlay. The below link is a station within about about 10 miles of the AT and 501 at about the same elevation...Change the end date to today and if desired convert to "English units" vs metric. Currently it looks like 5" of melting snow...subject to change daily!
http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/html/graph.html?station=0856O_MADIS&w=600&h=400&uc=0&by=2010&bm=2&bd=6&bh=6&ey=2010&em=2&ed=20&eh=6&data=0&units=0&x=0&y=0

My guess by the weekend would be for some snow and icy conditions.

sasquatch2014
02-21-2010, 16:27
Dingmans is a long way from the 501 area and avoided the much stronger storm that tracked more to the south. You want to find a different station to check on I think you will find it to be a much higher snow pack. I will agree that things are melting fast.

Lemni Skate
02-21-2010, 17:25
There is no hiking the AT in Central Virginia right now without snowshoes. SEction just south of SNP along Blue Ridge Parkway is almost impossible to get on. Any of the trail that's in the shade (and that's almost all of it) had 2-4 feet of snow on it) last week.

We've had a nice little warm up since then so here's hoping that by the middle of March I'll be knocking out some more sections. Three Ridges and the Priest are waiting for me!

daibutsu
02-22-2010, 16:31
Thanks y'all for the updates...

gatc-blazer
02-22-2010, 16:42
Pix from 2/20/2010 Hogpen Gap.

Deerleg
02-22-2010, 23:13
Dingmans is a long way from the 501 area and avoided the much stronger storm that tracked more to the south. You want to find a different station to check on I think you will find it to be a much higher snow pack. I will agree that things are melting fast.
This one is closer...between Sawtara and 501...I think I was looking at the wrong gap previously. snow depth at Swatra (http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/html/graph.html?station=PGVP1&w=600&h=400&uc=0&by=2010&bm=2&bd=6&bh=6&ey=2010&em=2&ed=22&eh=6&data=0&units=0&x=0&y=0)
Thanks for the heads up.

scottdennis
02-22-2010, 23:31
What's it like near Grayson Highlands right now? I can't seem to find anyone who knows right now. We're planning to go up there this week and get some hiking in, but I don't want to drive 2.5 hours only to have 2 feet of snow and ton of down trees. I just don't see driving that distance to only hike 2 miles! LOL!

Thanks for the feedback.

Ox97GaMe
02-23-2010, 00:39
Some sections of the trail between NOC and Fontana look like a war zone with all the blow downs. SMHC is putting out crews next week to get this taken care of now that the snow is finally starting to get to manageable depths.

Still have not been able to get scouts into the remote areas of the Smokies for evaluation due to the snow. As of mid last week, there was over 3 ft of snow at higher elevations with drifts of 4-5 ft. Warm weather over the past couple of days and light drizzly rain today will have helped, but more snow is forecast in a few days.

SawnieRobertson
02-23-2010, 11:12
What's it like near Grayson Highlands right now? I can't seem to find anyone who knows right now. We're planning to go up there this week and get some hiking in, but I don't want to drive 2.5 hours only to have 2 feet of snow and ton of down trees. I just don't see driving that distance to only hike 2 miles! LOL!

Thanks for the feedback.

If you enjoy snow shoeing and/or X-country skiing, I'll bet it would be awesomely marvelous out there. Got it?--Kinnickinic

Bunyan
03-01-2010, 15:19
I hiked the AT from Streets Gap to Big Bald in NC/Tenn yesterday. No blowdowns to speak of, but deep snow (2-3') and a lack of blazes made following the trail all but impossible. Snowshoes are essential at this point, but warmer temps should start the melting soon.

ATsawyer
03-01-2010, 20:02
Ridgeline of Shenandoah NP is still under several feet of snow. Went BD hunting on Ridge Trail, Old Rag Mt. yesterday and found snow conditions soft up to about 1800'; above that it was hard, crusty, and deep. The slow melt/freeze is making for some serious ice and I'm glad I had my Kahtoolas. No BDs from last week's windstorm, but enough overwinter drops to make a day of it.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8149&stc=1&d=1267487911http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8150&stc=1&d=1267487911

sasquatch2014
03-01-2010, 22:58
I would love to see a video of you clearing out a blow down with the crosscut. I showed the photos you posted to my son and he is now in love with your saw. He thinks it's like our hand saw on steroids!

takethisbread
03-02-2010, 03:00
Well I can say from what I have seen so far I encountered between 1 foot to 3 feet of snow all the way. The ridgeline treks usually meant four feet deep trail and drifts up to six feet. Bly gap to standing indian mtn was virtually impassable when we got there, got lost plenty of times. Blowdowns along the way were a headache. Morale was weak.

I enter the smokies tommorrow or Wednesday, I hear it's tough from derricks knob to newfound gap. Temps were not bad, but Im from Boston.

takethisbread
03-02-2010, 03:00
Well I can say from what I have seen so far I encountered between 1 foot to 3 feet of snow all the way. The ridgeline treks usually meant four feet deep trail and drifts up to six feet. Bly gap to standing indian mtn was virtually impassable when we got there, got lost plenty of times. Blowdowns along the way were a headache. Morale was weak.

I enter the smokies tommorrow or Wednesday, I hear it's tough from derricks knob to newfound gap. Temps were not bad, but Im from Boston.

BlackAndGold
03-02-2010, 15:28
Hiked the southern terminus approach trail over the weekend. quick summary of conditions:

(1) Many downed trees over the trail, all navigable.
(2) Occassional but not too frequent ice on the trail, not a major hazard.
(3) Enough backpackers have already come through the tough spots that an "off trail" route around the trouble is pretty clear. You won't get lost because of any of this trouble.

I think the GA ATC will have a crew out shortly to try to limit the off-trail damage caused by people walking around the more difficult downed trees. Saw Chicken Feathers over the weekend, he is a club member and will be working on it.

ATsawyer
03-02-2010, 18:23
I would love to see a video of you clearing out a blow down with the crosscut. I showed the photos you posted to my son and he is now in love with your saw. He thinks it's like our hand saw on steroids!

I haven't done much with video. Usually if there's a second sawyer on the hike, they're holding the other end of the saw. Trail geek alert here -- Tell your son that the saw I'm holding is a western felling saw, probably a Disston, that was damaged and cut down to make a topping saw (used by the guy who spiked up the first 100-200' of tree and then sawed off the top). Nice stiff taper-ground blade, about 4' long.

Whoa. While I was typing this, an email from SNP popped up saying that Skyline Drive was again closed due to heavy snowfall.

mountain squid
03-02-2010, 18:36
Yep. Those blowdowns are all over. Saw this leaner N of Wilbur Dam Rd. Unfortunately it is in a Wilderness Area, so no chainsaws allowed. We may need to borrow that crosscut...I think the NOBOs might be able to go under or around until we can take care of it...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

sasquatch2014
03-02-2010, 21:45
I keep thinking that getting a munitions permit and blasting them would be easier more fun than carrying all my sawyer gear. Fire in the hole!:D