PDA

View Full Version : Kelty backpacks

Chif
01-18-2010, 15:28
Does anyone have any experience with the kelty coyote or red cloud 5600 backpacks? I am a section hiker and carry apprx. 40 lbs. I have been using an old external frame pack and want to try something different. The profile of these seems to best fit my preferences. Any positive or negative feedback on the packs would be appreciated. Thanks.

fozzycole
01-18-2010, 15:43
I use the Kelty Coyote and absolutely love it! I have only done 3 section hikes with it at about 30 to 35 miles per section and each time I have had it loaded down with about 40 to 45 lbs. It is not the most lightweight pack on the market, but for the money, I find it to be very durable and it fits me just the way I like it. Two big thumbs up for the Kelty Coyote.

cowpoke
01-18-2010, 17:28
I use an older Red Cloud and love it...even if it is heavy. I'm 6'4" and it fits perfect for me. I usually carry around 30-35 pounds and still have plenty of room. It is rugged and lots of pockets to carry "stuff". I like the separate bottom compartment for sleeping bag...I can get my bag and hammock in there. It has a compartment for a camelback but I don't use it. It's a good pack but kinda heavy.

Cookerhiker
01-18-2010, 17:54
I've used nothing but Kelty my whole backpacking career and like you, contemplated making the adjustment from my old 1980-era external framer to an internal frame pack. I made the change in 2004. I've been generally happy with my Red Cloud 5600 although sometimes it seems like I'm always adjusting the hip belt.

Other hikers have rejected this pack because of its weight but I like its durability. I've hiked about 1,500 miles with it in 5 years. In addition, the various straps and loops allow me to secure my tent, sleeping pad, and groundcloth on the outside.

I say go for it!

sasquatch2014
01-18-2010, 21:49
I don't have the Red Cloud I have one that the called the Soar not sure if it is still in production not that I bought it all that long ago. I believe it is like 5400 cubic inches and the weight I don't think is all that bad at just about 4 lbs. Tons of room.

Highstepper
01-18-2010, 23:45
I bought a Coyote about a year ago ('09 model) and have used on 4 trips. It has plenty of room and ample pockets. The suspension system is excellent and it's easy to fine tune the torso length for a great fit. I've carried as much as 35 pounds but I think the pack could handle much more and still be comfortable. If you like your external frame pack you should love the Coyote.

On the third trip, I begin feeling something popping in the area where the hipbelt meets the frame. It was a metal snap that had came unsnapped and was damaged. I contacted Kelty and they sent me a new pack within a week.

As others have said the pack is a little heavy but considering you plan to carry 40 pounds or so, the Coyote should be a good choice.

Chif
01-19-2010, 15:08
Thanks for the information. I am going to try them both on for size and comfort and decide from there.

CrumbSnatcher
01-19-2010, 15:25
kelty externals is all i have ever used. love em'
good luck finding the perfect pack for you!

Erin
01-21-2010, 00:19
I have the Redcloud 6000 and I don't like it. It is very uncomfortable for me. It was the first pack I purchased and I think it was way too big for my five one frame. I got a Kelty Yukon exterior frame and love it.