PDA

View Full Version : BPA sales tactic???

PUNKINPUSS11
01-18-2010, 15:31
ive been drinking out of plastic my whole life. All this BPA mombo jumbo is just a scare/sales tactic to ghet u to buy 12 dollar water bottles. plus i love the people who smoke cigarettes and r scared of BPAs.......ohhhh the irony

JAK
01-18-2010, 15:36
What irony?

Tell me you didn't buy into that nonsense about cigarettes being bad for you?

Snowleopard
01-18-2010, 15:41
ive been drinking out of plastic my whole life. All this BPA mombo jumbo is just a scare/sales tactic to ghet u to buy 12 dollar water bottles. plus i love the people who smoke cigarettes and r scared of BPAs.......ohhhh the irony
Not all plastic contains BPA.
Some manufacturers will replace bottles that contain BPA for free; I think Sigg does this.
BPA is thought to mimic hormones. From my reading, children, particularly girls, are at most risk.

Lyle
01-18-2010, 15:44

All 33 years!

Deb
01-18-2010, 15:45
http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/44577/title/More_troubling_news_about_BPA

No one can make you believe it.
It's a good idea to be as well informed as possible though.

For example, I'm sure there were lots of people back in the 1960s who questioned the warning against lead based paint.
"Paint? How could that possibly hurt my kids?"

As far as plastics go, look for the recycling code.

3-6-7= Bad

1-2-4-5= Better.

Tipi Walter
01-18-2010, 15:46

Your post reminds me of the agri guy back in the 1950s who said DDT was harmless and proved it by eating a teaspoon of the stuff for the news cameras.

Yahtzee
01-18-2010, 15:57
http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/44577/title/More_troubling_news_about_BPA

No one can make you believe it.
It's a good idea to be as well informed as possible though.

For example, I'm sure there were lots of people back in the 1960s who questioned the warning against lead based paint.
"Paint? How could that possibly hurt my kids?"

As far as plastics go, look for the recycling code.

3-6-7= Bad

1-2-4-5= Better.

Thanks. That's simple enough even for me to remember!

Cabin Fever
01-18-2010, 16:33
Here's the truth from the professionals, not media.

http://factsaboutbpa.org/

Jester2000
01-18-2010, 16:48

Professional what? That website was created by The American Chemistry Council, a trade association that lobbies and does PR on behalf of chemical manufacturers (i.e. people that make plastic). It's not like that website was created by an independent group of scientist. Let's not assume that the media is the only biased source of information in the world.

As for me, I'll continue on with the plastic I have, mainly because I've been exposed to it long enough that more probably doesn't matter. If and when I buy new bottles, I'll make the switch, mainly because there doesn't seem to be any coherent argument against BPA-free plastic.

Pacific Tortuga
01-18-2010, 16:52
Your post reminds me of the agri guy back in the 1950s who said DDT was harmless and proved it by eating a teaspoon of the stuff for the news cameras.

Bet he never laid an egg, like that again.

Frosty
01-18-2010, 17:23
Bet he never laid an egg, like that again.
That cracked me up.

Mags
01-18-2010, 18:00
Glad I use $1 gatorade bottles. ;)

Toolshed
01-18-2010, 18:42
Oh...thank god!! I thought this was all about Alar again........

Pedaling Fool
01-18-2010, 19:18

They say the European Union has OK'ed BPA, so it must be safe:D

Blissful
01-18-2010, 19:43
Soda bottles work for me.

Cabin Fever
01-18-2010, 20:51
Professional what? That website was created by The American Chemistry Council, a trade association that lobbies and does PR on behalf of chemical manufacturers (i.e. people that make plastic). It's not like that website was created by an independent group of scientist. Let's not assume that the media is the only biased source of information in the world.

As for me, I'll continue on with the plastic I have, mainly because I've been exposed to it long enough that more probably doesn't matter. If and when I buy new bottles, I'll make the switch, mainly because there doesn't seem to be any coherent argument against BPA-free plastic.

Professional chemists and engineers. My company, one that just happens to be the only corporate sponsor of an AT club, is one of the largest makers of plastic in the world. There has been a wealth of information that says BPA is fine compared to the one study that said it wasn't. It just so happens that we are the premier maker of BPA-free plastic too (Nalgene and Camelbaks are made of Eastman Tritan). We're gold either way.

JAK
01-18-2010, 21:01
There have been WAY more than one study about the dangers of Bisphenol-A.
There is ALOT of food and other products just as bad for you as Bisphenol-A.
I avoid those also. Its simplest just to think twice before spending money.
Eat real food. Avoid unneccessary 'health and hygiene' products.

At least when shelter mice piss all over my food they aren't getting rich.

Jester2000
01-18-2010, 21:30
Professional chemists and engineers. My company, one that just happens to be the only corporate sponsor of an AT club, is one of the largest makers of plastic in the world. There has been a wealth of information that says BPA is fine compared to the one study that said it wasn't. It just so happens that we are the premier maker of BPA-free plastic too (Nalgene and Camelbaks are made of Eastman Tritan). We're gold either way.

The American Chemistry Council is not made up of chemists and engineers. It's made up of lobbyists and public relations people. It represents corporations that employ chemists and engineers.

My comment had less to do with the accuracy of studies about BPA and more about the accuracy of whether or not the mentioned website represents "the truth from the professionals." Unless by "the professionals" we mean "the professional lobbyists."