PDA

View Full Version : Best campsites on Ga AT

seminoles
01-18-2010, 18:24
What's everyone's opinion on the best campsites between Springer and Unicoi Gap? How about around Horse Gap, Big Cedar, Bull Gap or Poplar Stamp Gap?

Lone Wolf
01-18-2010, 18:27
gooch gap is my favorite

Ron Haven
01-18-2010, 18:43
gooch gap is my favoriteGooch is good or that last water supply place on the south side of Blood Mtn.

stumpknocker
01-18-2010, 19:25
There's a nice point of land off to the west side of the AT about a mile south of Blue Mtn Shelter that I like, but for long distance views from your tent I like Wolf Laurel Top. :)

Hikerhead
01-18-2010, 19:26
Ramhead Rock was pretty cool but dry, bring water.

Pacific Tortuga
01-18-2010, 19:31
not sure but is Justice Creek in there ?

shoe
01-18-2010, 20:14
They rerouted around Justus Creek. Doesn't look as cool in my opinion. Horse Gap is a road so not a great place but if you hump your water up to the top of Sassafrass (which means from Hawk Mountain Shelter) there is a campsite there.
I don't recall Bull Gap being all that great.

Ox97GaMe
01-18-2010, 20:26
I like camping along the creek between Three Forks and Long Branch Falls.

I also like camping along the ridgeline at the old cheese factory site just south of Tray Mountain. But that is just beyond the section you mentioned.

Mongoose2
01-18-2010, 20:40
The Long Branch Falls site is very nice

Praha4
01-18-2010, 21:27
approx 1 mile north of Woody Gap, the trail climbs to top of Big Cedar Mtn where there is a great rock ledge with fantastic views. There is a nice campsite on opposite side of trail from the overlook.

Gooch Gap is also good campsite.

Slaughter Creek campsite is just south of Blood Mtn, large circle with numerous marked campsites.

Dances with Mice
01-18-2010, 22:30
What's everyone's opinion on the best campsites between Springer and Unicoi Gap? How about around Horse Gap, Big Cedar, Bull Gap or Poplar Stamp Gap?Horse Gap - walk to the top of Sassafrass Mtn, which is dry. But stop and eat supper at Hawk Mtn then carry water for breakfast atop Sassafrass, that makes a really nice day from Springer.

Wolf mentioned Gooch Gap. If you cross the road and take the trail to water then head up the left hand side of that valley or gully, there's a campsite on top of that rise with a great night-time view of the lights below.

Big Cedar is a great site. Dry.

Bull Gap - I haven't stayed there but have walked past it. Looks like a good campsite though.

Poplar Stamp - not stayed there either. Wolf Laurel Top has nice views though.

bigmac_in
01-18-2010, 22:36
Horse Gap is a terrible place to camp. The campsite on top of Sassafrass looked nice, but you'll definitely need to hump some water up there. Gooch Gap is a nice place, but two cars went by in the middle of the night on that FS road when we were there.

Slaughter Gap is where the campsites are on the south side of Blood summit. I loved that spot.

Hooch
01-18-2010, 22:36
Bull Gap is a good campsite, but last time I was there the water source was dry. Of course, that was in July. :rolleyes:

seminoles
01-19-2010, 17:11
Several of you have mentioned Long Branch Falls, but I can't seem to locate that in my 2010 AT Guide. Maybe another reference point?

max patch
01-19-2010, 17:54
0.8 miles north of three forks; blue blaze trail to the left heading nobo.

max patch
01-19-2010, 17:55
Wolf mentioned Gooch Gap. If you cross the road and take the trail to water then head up the left hand side of that valley or gully, there's a campsite on top of that rise with a great night-time view of the lights below.

Didn't know about that one. Thanx for mentioning.

Yahtzee
01-19-2010, 18:00
Big Cedar Mt. Cook down below or haul it up. Either way, it is my favorite spot in GA.

Ankle Bone
01-19-2010, 19:33
I also like Jarrard Gap. Before Slaughter Gap and you can have a fire if you like.

Steeltrap Gap about 8 miles north of Unicoi Gap is also good.

Both sites are away from shelters and have water.

veteran
01-19-2010, 23:54
Several of you have mentioned Long Branch Falls, but I can't seem to locate that in my 2010 AT Guide. Maybe another reference point?

I think the name is Long Creek Falls (http://mapserver.mytopo.com/homepage/index.cfm?lat=34.667675&lon=-84.166966&scale=24000&zoom=100&type=1&icon=0&width=498&height=498&searchscope=dom&CFID=20521185&CFTOKEN=51584248&scriptfile=http://mapserver.mytopo.com/homepage/index.cfm&latlontype=DMS).

white_russian
01-20-2010, 00:05
On the trail out to Whitley Gap shelter. Along that ridge is nice.

Jack Tarlin
01-20-2010, 15:47
At the top of the "cliff" at Cowrock Mt., just past Neel Gap is one of my favorites.

JERMM
01-20-2010, 17:21
At the top of the "cliff" at Cowrock Mt., just past Neel Gap is one of my favorites.

oooooooooh Jack...I was hoping no one would mention that one...now everybody's going to go up there

Spogatz
01-21-2010, 00:55
I love the area around the cheese factory site. Just north from there is a spot with rock overlook and a good view of Tray Mtn.

veteran
01-21-2010, 10:30

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/2772/tj2772%5F030705%5F164627.jpg

Graywolf
01-22-2010, 21:41

Oh beleive me, you will find them. You will hear them before you see them..If you miss them, your deaf...

Bama Jack & Sadie
01-22-2010, 21:53
On the trail out to Whitley Gap shelter. Along that ridge is nice.

Agreed. Just don't forget to factor in the 1.2 miles from the trail. Water there is excellent.

Hikes in Rain
01-23-2010, 10:33
Agreed. Just don't forget to factor in the 1.2 miles from the trail. Water there is excellent.

And because it's so "far" off the trail, odds are you'll be alone.

scope
01-23-2010, 11:26
What's everyone's opinion on the best campsites between Springer and Unicoi Gap? How about around Horse Gap, Big Cedar, Bull Gap or Poplar Stamp Gap?

My favorite sites are Long Creek Falls, Big Cedar blue blaze site, Wolf Laurel Top, Cowrock, and Wildcat Mt (trail to Whitley Gap shelter).

As far as what you mentioned, Horse Gap is not a great place to camp but is doable. Big Cedar has two sites - going nobo, the first overlook is on the AT (very popular with dayhikers) and the campsite is behind it flanked by some huge boulders. About half mile north of that is a blue blaze that goes up and to the right with the same view but much more quiet, both due to not being on the trail and it seems less windy there. THAT is my favorite spot in GA. Bull Gap is the first real spot north of Neel Gap, but that section between there and Tesnatee has a campsite about every half mile it seems. Swaim Gap is the next one nobo and its OK, with a view. I believe I have stayed at the Poplar Gap site, not sure as its listed as having water, but I didn't see any. The site I stayed at would be near where Poplar Gap is listed, maybe nobo from there, and was at a bend in the trail after a long straight stretch (former roadbed). Great site, best one between Low Gap shelter and the large one right before Blue Mt shelter. No view, but there aren't any on that section.

scope
01-23-2010, 11:28

You sure that's Cowrock? Looks like a site north of Unicoi Gap, south of Tray Mt.

Ox97GaMe
01-23-2010, 11:31
The falls are .8 miles north of the Three Forks road crossing. Cant miss it. The Benton MacKaye Trail splits off right at the falls. There will be white rectangle, white diamond, and blue rectangle blazes at the junction. Follow the blue blaze right to the falls.

scope
01-23-2010, 11:50
I love the area around the cheese factory site. Just north from there is a spot with rock overlook and a good view of Tray Mtn.

oops, just noticed that the picture I commented on looks exactly what I think you're describing, and maybe that's what the poster meant following your post.

Doctari
01-23-2010, 12:40
They rerouted around Justus Creek.

The 09 guide still shows Justus creek (at mile # 13.8 from Springer). Does it cross at a different place now or did they totally eliminate Justus? That was my favorite site in GA, although I never actually stayed there.

FatMan
01-23-2010, 15:41
The 09 guide still shows Justus creek (at mile # 13.8 from Springer). Does it cross at a different place now or did they totally eliminate Justus? That was my favorite site in GA, although I never actually stayed there.It crosses several hundred yards downstream. There are about 6 tent pads nearby up the trail. You can still hike upstream to the old camping area and bridge but will have to navigate a muddy trail with a lot of dead fall.

SawnieRobertson
01-23-2010, 19:07
It crosses several hundred yards downstream. There are about 6 tent pads nearby up the trail. You can still hike upstream to the old camping area and bridge but will have to navigate a muddy trail with a lot of dead fall.

This saddens me. Over the past 11 years, I have dreamed of somehow manipulating my initial distance(s) so that I could camp by Justus Creek. As you say, it's still doable though. Did they build another bridge? Did they tear down the old one?--Kinnickinic

Ox97GaMe
01-23-2010, 19:32
There is a new bridge at the new crossing location. The trail crosses at a location where an old logging road runs beside Justus Creek. If you follow that old logging road upstream, you will get to the old site location. If you follow that old logging road far enough, it will take you out to FS 42 about half way between Cooper Gap and Gooch Gap.

veteran
01-24-2010, 09:58
The AT was relocated in 2000 from an old forest road which passed by the Hickory Flats Cemetery. The relocation maked a right turn near the trail to Long Creek Falls and passes well to the east of the cemetery. It crosses the road leading to the cemetery before rejoining the At route. Access to the cemetery and its pavilion is possible by taking a left onto the cemetery road.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~stewartholt/AT/Hickory%20Flats%20Relocation%20Map.jpg

brian039
01-25-2010, 16:45
Don't camp at Cooper Gap. I did that one time and when I woke up in the morning there was some kind of Army Ranger 10K going on. I think it was either the start or finish line. Strange to wake up to that.

springerfever
01-25-2010, 19:30
scope....

Pictues above are definately Cowrock. I spent Friday evening at this exact spot and it was fantastic. I hadn't hiked this secton in quite a while and I forgot how nice it was. Started out foggy and then the sun popped out for an awesome sunset and a cold, breezy night.

Also, good water source about 1/4 mile before reaching Cowrock on the left... blue blaze just off the trail.

scope
01-26-2010, 14:23
scope....

Pictues above are definately Cowrock. I spent Friday evening at this exact spot and it was fantastic. I hadn't hiked this secton in quite a while and I forgot how nice it was. Started out foggy and then the sun popped out for an awesome sunset and a cold, breezy night.

Also, good water source about 1/4 mile before reaching Cowrock on the left... blue blaze just off the trail.

OK, nice to know, I had heard about folks camping at Cowrock, but I've passed by there twice and haven't seen much of an area to camp besides the open site near the water blue blaze. This site must be above and to the right of the overlook going nobo?

kanga
01-26-2010, 14:30
cowrock was awesome about 15 years ago. everytime i've been up there since it's been horribly trashed with beer cans and garbage bags. i mean, hell. you bring a bag all the way up there to put your trash in, then not put your trash in and leave the bag? pisses me off.

springerfever
01-26-2010, 17:54
This last weekend the area was in great shape. A couple of candy bar wrappers and a plastic water bottle was all I had to pickup. There were two or three fire rings around the area so, yes, it is well used.

Its close proximity to Tesnatee Gap and the Richard B. Russell Highway (348) makes it an easy target for revelers... (less than a mile, but a serious climb to the campsite).

What I enjoy most about it is is view. As the sun sets and the valleys darken you can see the lights of small communities and houses light up.

Not sure how you could miss the site. You are obviously at the top of the ridge and then the trail starts descending rapidly. Just after you pass the blue-blaze water supply on the left (headed North) continue on approx 1/4 mile and you willl see a large clearing to the right. Thats Cowrock !

If you were in fog/rain, you could pass right by it cause it is about a 100 yards to the right. It rates pretty high on my list !

take-a-knee
01-26-2010, 18:26
cowrock was awesome about 15 years ago. everytime i've been up there since it's been horribly trashed with beer cans and garbage bags. i mean, hell. you bring a bag all the way up there to put your trash in, then not put your trash in and leave the bag? pisses me off.

I camped there summer before last, didn't see any trash and didn't leave any. Heard a lot of coyotes during the night.

kanga
01-26-2010, 19:27
that is awesome news guys! yay! i used to go up there with friends back in highschool and sit out on the rocks and stare at the stars and tell stories. it has always been one of my most beloved spots. for awhile, it just got so overused by people that just did not give a ****. it was so nasty that i finally stopped going because it disgusted me and made my heart hurt so badly. we always had extra trash bags and we would fill them up and hike them out and the next time we got up there it would be just as bad, like we had never done anything. i will be there next weekend now that i know. thank you.

kanga
01-26-2010, 19:32
tak, there also is a bear den, sometimes occupied, some years not, straight over the hill past the last possible tent spot, back of the rock face. found out by being woken up by a bear that said, my home go away! we looked around the next summer and found it.

Skidsteer
01-26-2010, 19:50

You sure that's Cowrock? Looks like a site north of Unicoi Gap, south of Tray Mt.

scope....

Looks more like Wolf Laurel Top to me.

stumpknocker
01-26-2010, 20:10
Looks more like Wolf Laurel Top to me.

I agree :)

veteran
01-27-2010, 00:20
Wolf Laurel Top

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/6415/tj6415%5F031108%5F121041%5F299269.jpg

scope
02-01-2010, 17:12
Not sure how you could miss the site. You are obviously at the top of the ridge and then the trail starts descending rapidly. Just after you pass the blue-blaze water supply on the left (headed North) continue on approx 1/4 mile and you willl see a large clearing to the right. Thats Cowrock !

If you were in fog/rain, you could pass right by it cause it is about a 100 yards to the right. It rates pretty high on my list !

Yeah, I've been to Cowrock, but I guess I'm going to have to go back and see this site. Unless, you're actually talking about Wolf Laurel Top? :-?

When I was at Cowrock, that is to say on the cliff looking down on Richard Russell Hwy, I did not immediately see anywhere to camp, or at least nothing like the picture.

kanga
02-01-2010, 17:49
that's because the picture was wolf laurel top

Jack Tarlin
02-01-2010, 19:45
Kanga has a point.....the big campsite, just below and to the right of the cliff as you look out gets a lot of use and tends to collect trash, but the spots right at the very top, just before the Trail cuts off to the left are usually pretty fine. Great great place to see the sun go up or down. Really great place to spend the night for Northbounders who get a late start out of Neel Gap.

Sly
02-01-2010, 20:41

Sounds like a local problem.

scope
02-01-2010, 22:23
Kanga has a point.....the big campsite, just below and to the right of the cliff as you look out gets a lot of use and tends to collect trash, but the spots right at the very top, just before the Trail cuts off to the left are usually pretty fine. Great great place to see the sun go up or down. Really great place to spend the night for Northbounders who get a late start out of Neel Gap.

OK, I'm confused. Is there a campsite different from Wolf Laurel Top? The "cliff" I assume is Cowrock, and so there is a campsite that is down and to the right as you're looking out from the cliff? The spots before the trail cuts off to the left, is that the big campsite where the water blue blaze is? Wolf Laurel Top is near Cowrock, yes, but its a good quarter mile or so south of Cowrock and the two really shouldn't be confused - not that close. Based on the pics, that's what it looks like, although Springfevers second set of pics looked different.

Skidsteer
02-01-2010, 22:51
that's because the picture was wolf laurel top

Yeah, folks seem to be confusing Wolf Laurel Top and Cowrock. Maybe this will help.

This,

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/2772/tj2772_030705_164627.jpg

and this,

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/6415/tj6415_031108_121041_299269.jpg

are photos of the campsite at Wolf Laurel Top.

This is a photo that most hikers consider Cowrock Mountain proper, 1.3 miles North of Wolf Laurel,

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Cowrock%20Campsite/Scan0001_001.jpg

That rock is about five feet off the white blaze.

These are photos of the campsite near Cowrock that is easily found by any hiker possessing a map or the curiosity of steel wool.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Cowrock%20Campsite/th_Cowrockcampsite002.jpg (http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Cowrock%20Campsite/?action=view&current=Cowrockcampsite002.jpg) http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Cowrock%20Campsite/th_Cowrockcampsite003.jpg (http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Cowrock%20Campsite/?action=view&current=Cowrockcampsite003.jpg) http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Cowrock%20Campsite/th_Cowrockcampsite004.jpg (http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Cowrock%20Campsite/?action=view&current=Cowrockcampsite004.jpg) http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Cowrock%20Campsite/th_Cowrockcampsite001.jpg (http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Cowrock%20Campsite/?action=view&current=Cowrockcampsite001.jpg)

Skidsteer
02-01-2010, 22:56
OK, I'm confused. Is there a campsite different from Wolf Laurel Top? The "cliff" I assume is Cowrock, and so there is a campsite that is down and to the right as you're looking out from the cliff? The spots before the trail cuts off to the left, is that the big campsite where the water blue blaze is? Wolf Laurel Top is near Cowrock, yes, but its a good quarter mile or so south of Cowrock and the two really shouldn't be confused - not that close. Based on the pics, that's what it looks like, although Springfevers second set of pics looked different.

There is a blue blaze to water on the left .6 miles South of Wolf Laurel Top. You can see the spring from the trail.

There is water .5 miles South of Cowrock Mountain on the left at a creek down the hill behind a campsite.You can see the campsite from the trail.

kanga
02-02-2010, 00:39
These are photos of the campsite near Cowrock that is easily found by any hiker possessing a map or the curiosity of steel wool.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Cowrock%20Campsite/th_Cowrockcampsite002.jpg (http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Cowrock%20Campsite/?action=view&current=Cowrockcampsite002.jpg) http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Cowrock%20Campsite/th_Cowrockcampsite003.jpg (http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Cowrock%20Campsite/?action=view&current=Cowrockcampsite003.jpg) http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Cowrock%20Campsite/th_Cowrockcampsite004.jpg (http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Cowrock%20Campsite/?action=view&current=Cowrockcampsite004.jpg) http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Cowrock%20Campsite/th_Cowrockcampsite001.jpg (http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd238/acsskidsteer/Cowrock%20Campsite/?action=view&current=Cowrockcampsite001.jpg)

yes, that is the place that used to be so lovely and yes, it is a local problem.

grayw0lf
02-02-2010, 11:42
I second Gooch Gap! Very nice place. Very special memories.

FatMan
02-07-2010, 17:54
There is a new bridge at the new crossing location. The trail crosses at a location where an old logging road runs beside Justus Creek. If you follow that old logging road upstream, you will get to the old site location. If you follow that old logging road far enough, it will take you out to FS 42 about half way between Cooper Gap and Gooch Gap.There is not a bridge at the new crossing. Stones have been placed for easy crossing.

daddytwosticks
02-08-2010, 08:41
Concerning the stone steps across Justus Creek...while sectioning this past fall, there was an entry in the Gooch Mts. register about 2 young men who had to literally swim across the creek at this spot after heavy-biblical rains in Sept '09. Although this entry could have been exaggerated, use good judgement if crossing after heavy rains. :)

Lone Wolf
02-08-2010, 08:44
Concerning the stone steps across Justus Creek...while sectioning this past fall, there was an entry in the Gooch Mts. register about 2 young men who had to literally swim across the creek at this spot after heavy-biblical rains in Sept '09. Although this entry could have been exaggerated, use good judgement if crossing after heavy rains. :)

SOBOs would giggle uncontrollably at a swollen justus creek

MoodyBluer
02-08-2010, 12:33
SOBOs would giggle uncontrollably at a swollen justus creek

As one whose home was flooded in Sept w/ 6 feet of water (thankfully contained to the walk-out basement), I can assure you that the flooding of Justus Creek would have any SOBOS crying for their mommies when talking about the Sept flood.

Over a Sunday night-Monday afternoon of 20 inches of rain coupled with the 10 or so inches we had the previous week that water had nowhere to go and it truly was biblical proportion amounts of water. There is now way IMO that it would have been passable on that Monday morning.

All other times LW is correct :)

daddytwosticks
02-08-2010, 14:36
Just repeating what was written in the dreaded shelter register. It was almost gorge-like at the new Justus Creek crossing. Alot of water flowing thru there would have my panties in a wad if I had to cross...

Attila
03-06-2010, 22:56
I believe this campsite was on Cowrock Mountain.

stranger
03-10-2010, 03:08
Anyone got photos of the campsites on Ramrock, Big Cedar or Rock Spring Top? Much appreciated if so!

Two Speed
03-10-2010, 09:33
stranger, not sure if this will help, but WB has photo galleries organized by state. Georgia's gallery (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?c=554&userid=)

stranger
03-15-2010, 01:05
thanks, there are some great pics in there!

Bianchi Veloce
03-21-2010, 16:14
Any campsites between Hogpen Gap and Low Gap Shelter? Will be hiking south bound from Unicoi Gap to Hogpen. I'm not a fan of staying at shelters or near them.

As far as I gather, there is not a reliable water source after the Low Gap Shelter. I'll probably have to carry water from the Low Gap shelter to a campsite so campsites between Sheep Rock Gap and Wide Gap would be ideal.

Thanks for any help.

Jeepxman
03-26-2010, 14:07
about how far south of Bllod mtn is slaughter creek campsite? is it marked?

Dances with Mice
03-26-2010, 14:12
about how far south of Bllod mtn is slaughter creek campsite? is it marked?The campsites are immediately at the base of Blood Mtn and are very well marked.

Graywolf
04-06-2010, 23:36
With all this talk about "Cowrock" mountain, I am looking at the map right now and all I see is Cowrock Gap, just south of there is Little Bald Knob with a campsite just east of there..I am assuiming this is where everyone is talking about.The Map dosnt list Cowrock Mountain, only the Gap, and the elevation profile lists the same..

According to the map, however, it does look like a fine campsite..I guess I will need to stay there on my next attempt this year..

Graywolf

flemdawg1
04-07-2010, 09:57
Nope its a real mtn, Mile 35.4. Its also in the AT Companion.
http://www.georgia-atclub.org/GA-AT-Profiles.pdf

Chapsquatch
04-08-2010, 17:52
How busy do the campsites in the three forks/ long creek falls get on the weekends?

FatMan
04-11-2010, 14:32
How busy do the campsites in the three forks/ long creek falls get on the weekends?Because of easy road access this area is quite crowded on weekends this time of year.

Tuney
04-11-2010, 21:38
With all this talk about "Cowrock" mountain, I am looking at the map right now and all I see is Cowrock Gap, just south of there is Little Bald Knob with a campsite just east of there..I am assuiming this is where everyone is talking about.The Map dosnt list Cowrock Mountain, only the Gap, and the elevation profile lists the same..

According to the map, however, it does look like a fine campsite..I guess I will need to stay there on my next attempt this year..

Graywolf

Check out Baggs Creek Gap at mile 34.9 from Springer. It's a nice level campsite with a good fire place and ready access to water. It's a nice walk up to Cow Rock to watch the sunset if it's a nice evening. Have had some really good times there. Often use it as a first overnight back pack for younger boy scouts. Hike from Neels Gap to Baggs Creek is easy enough, and we exit the following day hiking over Cow Rock down to Tesnatee Gap. Problem is Russell Highway GA 348 is closed due to washout for the foreseeable future.