PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic or wool

Pringles
01-18-2010, 18:45
I know that both synthetic and wool base layers will keep you warm when wet, and that wool doesn't (usually) stink. For a canoe trip, where getting wet is a real possibility, would the synthetic be a preferred choice? I'm thinking that the synthetic stuff should dry more quickly, but thought I'd ask the group if that's true. Thanks. Beth

leaftye
01-18-2010, 19:16
Supposedly wool works better than synthetics when wet.

garlic08
01-18-2010, 19:17
I would wear synthetic on a boat, if I had an option. I like the image of the rough Irish fishermen in their Aran knit sweaters, but I wonder if they still wear those nowadays? The few times I've gotten my old wool clothing really soaked, it was pretty miserable.

Pacific Tortuga
01-18-2010, 19:33
Get it from the smart sheep not the dump one's.

Jester2000
01-18-2010, 19:38
I'd go with wool.

Pacific Tortuga
01-18-2010, 19:42
dumb ones like this poster.

njordan2
01-18-2010, 19:44
Wool or synthetic? YES

Jester2000
dumb ones like this poster.

I like "dump ones" better.

JERMM
I know that both synthetic and wool base layers will keep you warm when wet, and that wool doesn't (usually) stink. For a canoe trip, where getting wet is a real possibility, would the synthetic be a preferred choice? I'm thinking that the synthetic stuff should dry more quickly, but thought I'd ask the group if that's true. Thanks. Beth

Beth- I do a lot of costal kayaking, and prefer synthetic clothing, I've had no problems with it drying as long as there is a little bit of a breeze and it's not pouring rain. I soak/wash/rinse with a few drops of Camp Suds or Dr Bonners to get the sweat out of shirt/shorts at the end of the day and hang to dry. I haven't tried wool since I can't wear it.

Seeker
01-18-2010, 20:14
as i get older, i do more canoeing than hiking... understand too that i'm in LA, where it's warm 10 months out of the year.

that said, i wearTrekmor (Campmor's store brand) bottoms and top, which are a quick drying synthetic, all seasons. when i canoe in the adirondacks (june/july-ish, usually), i bring a thin LL Bean wool sweater that's soft enough to wear as a base layer (but i usually wear it over a cotton T shirt). It also serves as a winter layer for me down here, whether hiking or canoeing (the water actually does get cold!) And i wear wool socks in all seasons, under my water shoes. That combo allows me to keep getting my feet wet all day without being uncomfortable. If it's too bad, i just wring out the socks and put them back on and i'm fine again. I also have a pair of old army gloves made of wool, that are the best winter handgear i've ever owned (i grew up in upstate ny, and was stationed at fort drum for 4 winters).

Cheap wool is itchy. quality wool is not. i always thought i was allergic to it on account of my reaction to army gear (shirts, scarves, and the resulting raw neck). but i found that LL Bean sweater on sale for $5 at one of their outlet stores and am a convert. if i had the $$, i'd be all over a set of SmartWool underwear, tops and bottoms. maybe next christmas...

Egads
01-18-2010, 21:46
I wear wool all four seasons

Pringles
01-18-2010, 22:32
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I probably should have mentioned that I have both wool (mostly smart, but some truly dullard socks) and synthetic. And neoprene socks, which are wonderful if it's cold, but stinky like nothing else. So, it is a matter of choosing the right tools to put in the dry bag. I hope that whatever I choose will stay in the bag as I tromp and paddle in the Boundary Waters in 75* sunshine. Beth

Plankton
01-18-2010, 22:48
I wear wool all four seasons also. I would take a wool sweater over a synthetic coat any day. Wool is great at retaining it's insulative properties when wet, I have worn my Pendleton shirts in rainstorms all day and still been warm.

ChinMusic
01-18-2010, 22:52
4 seasons wool here as well.

Tinker
01-18-2010, 22:55
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I probably should have mentioned that I have both wool (mostly smart, but some truly dullard socks) and synthetic. And neoprene socks, which are wonderful if it's cold, but stinky like nothing else. So, it is a matter of choosing the right tools to put in the dry bag. I hope that whatever I choose will stay in the bag as I tromp and paddle in the Boundary Waters in 75* sunshine. Beth

In 75 degree sunshine I definitely would go with wool. It generally wicks better - naturally (synthetics are naturally hydrophilic and need to be treated by mechanical bulking of the fibers or with a surface chemical), and holds stink a BUNCH less.
Drying times in warm sunshine should be close to equal. In cold weather I'd give the vote for synthetic (both fabrics being equal weight).

Skidsteer
01-18-2010, 22:56
I've been using wool for a few months and the one thing I notice is how much wider the effective comfort range is from low temp to high temp.

Much less hassle with layer management.

Egads
01-18-2010, 22:57
I've been using wool for a few months and the one thing I notice is how much wider the effective comfort range is from low temp to high temp.

Much less hassle with layer management.

You're getting on the smart bus Skids

Skidsteer
01-18-2010, 23:00
You're getting on the smart bus Skids

There goes my reputation.

Blissful
01-18-2010, 23:49
Merino wool is great. I use it hiking all the time and now running in cold weather.

Connie
01-19-2010, 20:56
But what is the water temperature? That is the criteria.

I paddled at Point Reyes National Seashore on the California coast.

OT. The synthetic stuff can be wrung out and flung out (in circles around and around) and put back on.

Soft merino feels great and merino can be wrung out and "walked dry" inside a non-waterproof nylon-type windshirt. Harder to do with midweight or heavier weight MEC merino. But it can be done.

I have done both.

If I think there is a real possibility I could get dumped in cold water, I want 4-way stretch neoprene with the fuzzy inside surface as my first layer over underwear. If really cold water, I want a fleece union suit inside a drysuit designed for kayakers I can vent.

I use McNett Mirazyme (http://www.leisurepro.com/prod/AQUMZ.html?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=AQUMZ8) for Warmers booties, water shoes or neoprene sock odor.

mister krabs
01-19-2010, 21:08

I'm jealous of your bwca trip. I'll get back there some day. I vote wool if you can afford it, synthetic if you can't.

cruisaire
01-19-2010, 21:57
Wool, preferably cheap, used merino from the thrifty. Nothing better.

Pringles
01-20-2010, 08:43
Thanks again for all the advice. It's gonna be wool! And thanks for the reminder about the Mirazyme. I even have the little container by the washing machine and didn't think about using it. Duh. Oh, the water temperature should be fine for swimming. Well, chilly swimming, but swimming. Thanks everybody! Beth