PDA

View Full Version : Amtrak - it's a deal!

10-K
01-18-2010, 20:17
I bought my Amtrak ticket to NYC this afternoon - $86 fare from Fayetteville, NC to Penn Station.

That's seems like a very reasonable price.... It's $19 more than Greyhound but the train only takes 10 hours - the bus takes 17 (!). And from what I understand, the difference between riding on a train is very different than riding on a bus.

I've never taken a bus or a train....Looking forward to it but I gotta figure out what to do with my gear - I'm thinking duffle bag.

Buddydog56
01-18-2010, 20:27
Hey 10K, I will be traveling by train as well...however from N.O. to Atlanta. I've done it many times before....a very cool way to travel. The trip (N.O. - Atl), is considerably longer than by car, but at least I won't have to worry a/b my vehicle geting ripped off or broke into while it remains in GA for 6 months!

Kerosene
01-18-2010, 20:38
Trains, at least through the northeast corridor, are quite reasonable and fairly comfortable. Try to get a seat facing forward though.

A large duffel works very well for your pack and poles, especially if you can stuff it in a locker when you get to your destination. Unfortunately, it looks as if Penn Station proper doesn't have coin lockers, but apparently there is a place close-by (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_there_storage_lockers_at_Penn_Station_in_NYC).