PDA

View Full Version : Best pack for someone who is 6'0?

dan213
01-18-2010, 20:30
I'm planning on doing the trail SOBO in June 2011. I'm going to start overnight/2-3 day trips this spring to get ready for it and am looking for equipment. I'm a college student so budget is a factor. I'm not looking to drop $300 on a backpack. I just want something that is big enough to be used on for an AT thru hike and would fit someone 6'0. Any advice is VERY MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!

Hooch
01-18-2010, 20:36
You pack is going to depend more on your torso length than your height. My best friend is only 5'8", but wears a large pack because of his long torso. Before you even think about buying a pack, go to a rputable outfitter and get your torso measured by someone who knows what they're doing. Avoid places like Dick's, Sports Authority, Bass Pro Shop, etc, like the plague. That said, don't scrimp on your pack. I understand being on a budget, trust me. But your pack is going to carry everything you have from start to finish and should not only fit you well, but it should hold all your gear and do so with relative comfort. There are plenty of other places to save a buck or two, but don't try it with your pack, boots/shoes or sleeping bag. Best of luck in your search for the pack that's right for you.

Hooch
01-18-2010, 20:42
Also, get all your gear before you get your pack. If you buy a pack first, then get all your gear and it doesn't fit you got trouble (right here in River City). Get your gear first, then take it all to a reputable outfitter and tell them what you need, what you need it for and listen to them. Put all your gear in several packs and walk around with it on. A good outfitter will have no problem whatsoever with you doing this.

dan213
01-18-2010, 20:50
i was gonna buy the backpack first but what you said makes a lot more sense.

thanks.

Hooch
01-18-2010, 20:53
i was gonna buy the backpack first but what you said makes a lot more sense.

thanks.Could you please repeat that loud enough for everyone to hear it? :rolleyes::D

Feral Bill
01-18-2010, 23:55
After you decide on the pack size by filling it with gear, take plenty of time making sure it fits your unique body shape. An expensive pack that does not fit well is far worse that a cheap one that does. On a tight budget, you might consider an external frame. Also, consider renting for a few days to be really sure a pack works out. Otherwise, buy from a dealer with excellent return policies, like REI.