PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian Trail Speech

jp13
01-18-2010, 21:05
I need to do a speech for school. I picked the AT as my topic. I don't know what to write. Can anyone help?

jnanagardener
01-18-2010, 21:15
Why not imagine you are a thru-hiker and interweave the story of the trail, its history and some key highlights as you talk about your own (er, fictional) thru-hike!?

Hikes in Rain
01-18-2010, 21:19
That's a great approach. There's a whole lot of information for your research here. You could talk for hours on this topic!

emerald
01-18-2010, 21:19
Go to ATC's website, www.appalachiantrail.org (http://www.appalachiantrail.org), and read ATC's History (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4914753/k.C511/History.htm) especially the article entitled Trail Years.

Good luck with your speech and let us know how it goes.

WalkingStick75
01-18-2010, 21:20
You could also go to trailjournals.com and read some journals from past thru hikers. I think this is great topic too, you could talk for hours on this.

fiddlehead
01-18-2010, 21:25
Or try this:
Give a brief description of the trail and when it started, then take your pack with your and take everything out and explain that that is ALL you need (plus food and water) for a 5 month hike of it.
People will most likely remember this much better than hearing about the history of the trail.

Jester2000
01-18-2010, 21:54
Or try this:
Give a brief description of the trail and when it started, then take your pack with your and take everything out and explain that that is ALL you need (plus food and water) for a 5 month hike of it.
People will most likely remember this much better than hearing about the history of the trail.

I think this is a great idea. Many times students are required to have a visual aid anyway, and that would be much cooler than a map. Although now that I think of it, a map's probably a good idea . . .

hikingshoes
01-18-2010, 22:03
I think this is a great idea. Many times students are required to have a visual aid anyway, and that would be much cooler than a map. Although now that I think of it, a map's probably a good idea . . .

I think a map would be a great idea as well and with all your gear.Looks like a good report to me.HS

Spokes
01-18-2010, 22:03
.......and maybe toward the end of the speech bend down behind a desk (as if to get something), slip on a fake beard, then pop back up to give your conclusion......"well here I am 5 months later"......

Heck, even I'd like to see that!

The Will
01-18-2010, 22:11
Ditto the idea of taking a pack and all the camping gear required.

Other topics:

History, geography, wildlife, define "thru hiker" and "section hiker", trail angels, stats on how many hikers start/finish, the differences between hiking north/southbound, Mt Washington's "worst weather in the world", trail shelters, Leave No Trace practices, excerpts from trail journals.

Are you able to give a power point presentation. You'd find no shortage of pictures.

Have fun.

Feral Bill
01-18-2010, 23:48
Speach class ususlly has catagories, like persuasive, demonstration, or informative. Either way, focus on the actual assignment, not what you wish it was. Props are always good. Try staying inside the time line, 5 minutes or whatever. Have a great (or at least good) opening line, like "when I graduate I'm going for a 2000 mile walk". Keep it focused, "why people hike the AT", "what it takes to hike the AT", "what do through hikers think of the experience", or whatever you choose. Let your enthusiasm show.
See the good ideas from earlier posters.

Sorry if I sound teacherish, that's what I do.

FB

Jester2000
01-19-2010, 00:27
Speach class ususlly has catagories, like persuasive, demonstration, or informative. Either way, focus on the actual assignment, not what you wish it was. Props are always good. Try staying inside the time line, 5 minutes or whatever. Have a great (or at least good) opening line, like "when I graduate I'm going for a 2000 mile walk". Keep it focused, "why people hike the AT", "what it takes to hike the AT", "what do through hikers think of the experience", or whatever you choose. Let your enthusiasm show.
See the good ideas from earlier posters.

Sorry if I sound teacherish, that's what I do.

FB

. . . and if you need answers to the above questions, feel free to ask on whiteblaze, but make a note in your question that you're 14 and it's for a school project. Also, if you need people's real names to quote them, PM them and I'm sure they'll send you the info.

Good luck!

Tinker
01-19-2010, 00:46
Buy this: http://www.wvpt.net/docappalachiantrail.html
and watch it.
Get the full length map. Ask questions.
Have fun! :)

Tennessee Viking
01-19-2010, 01:09
Watch the PBS show "Appalachian Impressions" and the National Geographic Wild Spaces show-Appalachian Trail.

Those will give you a prespective of hiking the trail.

Start out with some facts. 2175 miles and growing. How many hikers start and finish the trail. Trail names. Look into the history of the trail. The CCC envolvement. The maintainers. Hostels. Trail angels. If you sit beside a trailhead during the crowd season or at Trail Days, you can meet all sorts of people.

jp13
01-28-2010, 15:34
thanks for all your help. I will tell you how it goes.

Jester2000
01-28-2010, 15:35
Good luck!

Rain Man
01-28-2010, 18:11
Since most 14-year-olds can't take off from Michigan to the AT, how about tying it in to some local trails, so they can go out on a hike if they are inspired?

I wish I'd done a talk on the AT when I was 14.

Rain:sunMan

Cookerhiker
01-28-2010, 18:51
We're pulling for you:)

Hikes in Rain
01-28-2010, 19:02
I'd love to hear how it went. When I was your age, I did make several speeches on backpacking even though I'd not heard of the AT at that point. Bored the %#$ out of the audience, but I enjoyed it.

Johnny Appleseed
01-29-2010, 20:57
smoke 'em if you got 'em.

jp13
02-18-2010, 16:15
Thanks for all your help I got a "B".(Not enough eye contact)

emerald
02-18-2010, 16:19
Thanks for your post. Glad we could help.

Jester2000
02-18-2010, 17:29
Well that's pretty good! Especially if you're not used to giving speeches. Making good eye contact is important, because it connects you to the audience, but it's the sort of thing that comes once you're comfortable giving speeches.

Jester2000
02-18-2010, 17:29
Oh, and congrats, and thanks for getting back to us!

prain4u
02-19-2010, 03:42
Congrats! A "B" is a very respectable grade. It wasn't an "A'" due to eye contact issues. Thus, I am guessing that the teacher and class thought the content of your speech was good. The researching and the writing of your speech is what you probably spent the most time doing--and they liked that part. So, congratulations!