PDA

View Full Version : What's the longest period on the trail between resupply opportunities?

thelowend
01-19-2010, 01:26
For all you experienced thru hikers, what is the leg of the AT where you have to carry the most supplies due to lack of supply points for a certain period?

Marta
01-19-2010, 07:54
The 100-mile wilderness, followed by the Smokies. You can resupply during both those stretches (at White House Landing for the one and in Gatlinburg for the other), but most people probably don't.

Rockhound
01-19-2010, 09:26
Whitehouse landing has an extremely limited resupply and if I am not mistaken I don't think they accept mail drops. They do offer great meals though. I would make it a point to stop there. As for getting through the 100 miles, Just take a weeks worth of food when you leave Monson and you'll be fine. You're so close to the end you'll be running on pure adrenaline anyway. That is of course if you are NOBO. If you are heading SOBO, well.....you all suck.

Grampie
01-19-2010, 15:12
In 2001 White House Landing would except mail drops if you stayed with them. I would check..they may have changed their policy since then.

Spokes
01-19-2010, 15:18
Ditto what Marta said.

You gotta stop into Whitehouse landing and have one (or more) of their famous 1 lb. hamburgers- YUM! The secret is not pressing out any of the juices once the meat hits the skillet- Double Yum!!!

It's converted many a vegan on the trail.

mkmangold
01-20-2010, 00:00
Shouldn't this thread be in the "Female Hiking Forums?"

Blissful
01-20-2010, 00:04
yep Smokies and 100 mile wilderness unless you go into Gatlinburg or go to White house landing

thelowend
01-20-2010, 05:10

last time i checked, males required food as well...

The General
01-20-2010, 06:57

And Beer, which is good reason for hitching a ride into Gatlingburg. Ok it may be a traumatic experience coming down into town but a visit to the Smokey Mountains Brewery will numb the pain.

Great food and some fantasic craft brewed ale.:banana

Tagless
01-20-2010, 07:17
One option to reduce food weight through the 100 mile wilderness...

Shaws offers a shuttle two hiking days out. From that point, one can hike southbound back into Monson, resupply, and then proceed north from the same shuttle drop off point.

Tag-along, Mountain Man, and I were happy with this plan as it reduced our food pack weight to a maximum of hour days while in the 100 mile wilderness.

Spokes
01-20-2010, 10:21
And Beer, which is good reason for hitching a ride into Gatlingburg. Ok it may be a traumatic experience....

Yes Gatlinburg, TN can be a traumatic experience. I'll never forget a little girl hiker named "Wompus Cat" who decided to head there after a miserable rainy few days in the Smokies.

I saw her next at Standing Bear Hostel. She looked like a ghost and said of Gatlinburg- "Why isn't that town on the coast? They were selling hermit crabs on the street there!".

I never laughed so hard in all my life!

ShelterLeopard
01-20-2010, 13:06
Ditto what Marta said.

You gotta stop into Whitehouse landing and have one (or more) of their famous 1 lb. hamburgers- YUM! The secret is not pressing out any of the juices once the meat hits the skillet- Double Yum!!!

It's converted many a vegan on the trail.

That burger can last you a while. I am psyched to get one. I'm pretty sure that they no longer hold maildrops for hikers, even if you're staying there.

What???

Ox97GaMe
01-20-2010, 13:46
It depends on the time of year you are hiking and how you plan the hike. The 100 mile wilderness can be the most challenging.

Fontana NC has very limited resupply, as does NOC during the winter months (Nov-Mar). During that time, it isnt unrealistic to expect hike from Franklin NC to Gatlinburg without getting much in the way of resupply. There is the option of hitching into Robbinsville NC from Stecoah Gap, or get a shuttle from Hike Inn. If you have to do that stretch without resupply, it is about 110 miles.

Yahtzee
01-20-2010, 13:52
I'd say the Smokies, only because the I have completed the Wilderness in less time than it took me to complete the Smokies. But I figure they are about the same for most. Also, if you don't go into Glasgow or BuenaVista, the stretch from the 81 interchange to Waynesboro is pretty barren.

Chomp09
01-20-2010, 18:49
Depends on the direction of your thru-hike. For northbounders it's going to be the Smokies, 100 mile wilderness for SOBO's. Later in your hike, your daily mileage will most likely increase to the point where 100 miles will only be 4, maybe 5 days tops.

On the other hand, in my opinion, these are two of the most beautiful sections of the trail, and shouldn't be rushed through unless you have three days where the temps don't rise above freezing like we did in the Smokies. :sun

Jack Tarlin
01-20-2010, 19:00
I disagree with my friend Chomp. Even tho it CAN be done in 4-5 days as the north end of it is essentially flat), most Northbounders take 6-7 days to get from Monson to Abol bridge, and unless they stop at White House landing or unless they arrange a food drop at one of the road crossings (which is cumbersome and quite expensive), most folks will be leaving Monson with around a week's worth of food.

(Another longish stretch is the White Mountains, as there's essentially not much in the way of re-supply between North Woodstock and Gorham).

mkmangold
01-20-2010, 20:38
That was a play on words (re-read the title). I thought it was funny at the time.

Just a Hiker
01-20-2010, 20:53
As already stated, the 100 Mile Wilderness and the Smoky's are the two big stretches of trail that require a bit more effort to resupply; however, I'm always amazed how much longer Shenandoah National Park feels when I hike it in the off season when the Waysides and other Facilities are closed for the year........just an observation....

Just Jim

thelowend
01-21-2010, 01:15
And Beer, which is good reason for hitching a ride into Gatlingburg. Ok it may be a traumatic experience coming down into town but a visit to the Smokey Mountains Brewery will numb the pain.

Ive experienced gatlinburg before and it's weirdness is certainly worth some good brews. I will actually be able to obtain them legally at that point too..

thelowend
01-21-2010, 01:16
As already stated, the 100 Mile Wilderness and the Smoky's are the two big stretches of trail that require a bit more effort to resupply; however, I'm always amazed how much longer Shenandoah National Park feels when I hike it in the off season when the Waysides and other Facilities are closed for the year........just an observation....

Just Jim

Forgive this, I'm a newb to the AT, off season= September-Feb/march?

thelowend
01-21-2010, 01:18
That was a play on words (re-read the title). I thought it was funny at the time.

Still don't see it.. just saw it as a wisecrack. aint no thang

mks4evr
01-21-2010, 03:20

That's really funny!

ShelterLeopard
01-21-2010, 11:17
Still don't see it.. just saw it as a wisecrack. aint no thang

You will find, with Whiteblaze, that when people get bored with a subject or feel the question has been answered, instead of refraining to comment, they'll just warp the hell out of whatever is going on instead. (I know, I myself have warped several threads in the name of The Princess Bride. "D )

Next time, post your question in the "straightforward" forum, all all answers not on topic will be deleted by mods.

GrubbyJohn
01-21-2010, 12:15
i section hike every year and carry 10 to 11 days food with me. don't want to go to towns... i pay the price with weight but what the heck im out there to get away from towns.....

ShelterLeopard
01-21-2010, 12:50
I meant refraining from commenting, not to comment. Yes, I like correct grammar. Anoying, I know, but I can't help it.

singing wind
01-22-2010, 01:52
100 mile wilderness can be a long or short resupply - in a pinch you can hitch out on Katahdin Iron Works Road (KI Road to the locals..) to the main road and then head south (?) to the nearest local town where there are convenience type stores and a small grocery store. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the town offhand, but it's on the Maine road map. Nice folks in town.

Last summer I resupplied at Whitehouse Landing and had to hitch out on KI Road after crossing the Pleasant River. Would do it again as it broke up resupply into 4 day sections and allowed more time to enjoy Maine.

thelowend
01-23-2010, 17:50
You will find, with Whiteblaze, that when people get bored with a subject or feel the question has been answered, instead of refraining to comment, they'll just warp the hell out of whatever is going on instead. (I know, I myself have warped several threads in the name of The Princess Bride. "D )

Next time, post your question in the "straightforward" forum, all all answers not on topic will be deleted by mods.

Much like any other forum I have joined.. the straight forward forum is a good idea.. just found it the other day.

thelowend
01-23-2010, 17:51
100 mile wilderness can be a long or short resupply - in a pinch you can hitch out on Katahdin Iron Works Road (KI Road to the locals..) to the main road and then head south (?) to the nearest local town where there are convenience type stores and a small grocery store. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the town offhand, but it's on the Maine road map. Nice folks in town.

Last summer I resupplied at Whitehouse Landing and had to hitch out on KI Road after crossing the Pleasant River. Would do it again as it broke up resupply into 4 day sections and allowed more time to enjoy Maine.

did you return to the trail right at the katahdin iron road where you left after the resupply?

JustaTouron
01-23-2010, 18:17
Still don't see it..

The word "period" has multiple meanings.

ShelterLeopard
01-24-2010, 13:05
Yeah, but it really wasn't that funny.

Don H
01-24-2010, 13:29
Most of the facilities at SNP are closed during the off season. Since the trail goes through the park getting supplies become more difficult. During the season when all the facilities are open you pass a place to buy food such as Waysides and campgrounds almost every day. Makes for a light pack!

thelowend
01-25-2010, 03:17
The word "period" has multiple meanings.

how could i be so blind? forgive my density

Skyline
01-25-2010, 11:51
Forgive this, I'm a newb to the AT, off season= September-Feb/march?

Re: SNP only

The commercial establishments all stay open until the end of Oct. A few stay open until the Sunday after Thanksgiving. So off-season in SNP would be late November thru late March/early April, when these establishments begin to reopen. Most are open by the end of April, tho Big Meadows Lodge will once again delay its open until May 20 this year.

In the off-season in SNP, you are pretty much on your own in SNP while backpacking. Ranger patrols along Skyline Drive are handled by a skeleton crew; they only go into the woods in response to an emergency. The Drive itself is closed anytime there is a hint of snow/ice.

There are crossroads (US33/Swift Run Gap) and US211 (Thornton Gap) where you can hitch into towns if you want a room or to resupply. There are also other boundary points where you can hike out by taking side trails from the AT. Going west is usually more productive than going east. Mountain & Valley Shuttle Service (1-877-789-3210 or http://www.mvshuttle.com/winterhiking.html) picks up at all these places. To arrange a shuttle while inside the Park, there are outdoor pay phones at most of the campgrounds, waysides, etc., and sometimes you can get a cell signal depending upon carrier and location, but you should not bet your life on it. Or you can plan in advance to split your SNP experience into smaller sections.

thelowend
03-01-2010, 04:13
i section hike every year and carry 10 to 11 days food with me. don't want to go to towns... i pay the price with weight but what the heck im out there to get away from towns.....

i will be thru hiking.. thanks but doesnt apply here. (i agree with you though)

thelowend
03-01-2010, 04:17
skyline, thanks for all the good info!

Tipi Walter
03-01-2010, 08:36

But you have to put up with the Walking Dead. Gatlinburg is one of the few towns in the world where you can make a movie about zombies and not have to hire extras or use any make-up, and they lurch and huddle around fart cushions and rubber cigars. It's the only place you can find newlywed zombies on honeymoon. Great place.

It depends on the time of year you are hiking and how you plan the hike. The 100 mile wilderness can be the most challenging.

Fontana NC has very limited resupply, as does NOC during the winter months (Nov-Mar). During that time, it isnt unrealistic to expect hike from Franklin NC to Gatlinburg without getting much in the way of resupply. There is the option of hitching into Robbinsville NC from Stecoah Gap, or get a shuttle from Hike Inn. If you have to do that stretch without resupply, it is about 110 miles.

My point all along. Somebody else gets it.

Ah, GrubbyJohn--we think alike.